closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bulgari Octo Finnissimo - thoughts?

Journeyman

Bulgari Octo Finnissimo - thoughts?

Never really considered Bulgari to be something I'd be interested in, but I was very impressed by the Finnissimo range of watches I saw at the boutique yesterday.

The build quality looks very good, the thin movement and case really is quite something too. A little digging on the internet reveals they are rather impressive and well though of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z38GVfALabA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr_cawo-0rw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6DKEWvkeCU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ObjDQ_GIe8 - compared to AP RO (high praise?)

What does TZ forums think of these?

I'm quite draw to the skeleton ultra nero watch. I think it's a lovely piece of design and combined with the ceramic and lightness, a real talking point. I think I would go for the all metal/ceramic bracelet.

Last edited by CJQC; 15th August 2019 at 11:02.

They look nice, pretty sure there was one on SC recently at a pretty decent price.

To many though, Bvlgari is a fashion brand, and not a watch brand so it'll get ruled out.

That may change over time, but it's going to be a hard market for them initially I think.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

The Octo Finissimo Skeleton (I think in titanium?) was my previous 'grail'. Stunning looking thing.

I didn't realise they'd released a different version, so I'll read up more on yours in the OP, cheers.

Master
    I’m quite fond of Bvlgari’s Diagono line. I have a Scuba dive watch, very well built, incredible lume and chronometer grade ETA2892. Bezel action is superb and case finish is fantastic.

The new version has in-house movement but are very expensive to buy new and you’d have to really want one as the residuals would be horrendous I would imagine. Jean Christophe Babin is now at the helm of the watch business and I believe they are trying to push the products with a more serious intent.

The fashion branding does count against them but they are underrated IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely watches, if they fit you. But given you've had a try definitely worth a go. I personally like the new chrono/gmt, but that skeleton is also superb. Ket us know how your decision making goes!

Craftsman
    The most interesting examples of modern watchmaking by far imho. Spectacular value especially after the deep discounts currently available. Take a look at the naked watchmaker’s tear down of the finissimo chrono GMT. If that came from Patek (not that they are capable) it would be a £70k watch.

https://www.thenakedwatchmaker.com/d...ri-chronograph
    Last edited by Satori; 16th August 2019 at 12:02.

Master
    Thanks for sharing that, great read.
    Had a look at these recently in Geneva and I find these really interesting, great to see they're pushing the boundaries.

Popped into the Bulgari boutique in London today to have a look at some Octo Finissimos.

The titanium base model is crazy light. In the flesh its slimness and lack of weight gives the impression of delicacy - however, the angular squarish case and sandblasted finish feel industrial, like it would take a beating. Very unique.

The steel version is a little more showy, and slightly heavier - it feels a bit more jewelry-like than the titanium, while maintaining some of that industrial sandblasted impression.

Bracelets are very fine and comfortable, with slim links.

Both the steel and ti base models fit my 6.5inch wrist nicely.

Also played with the finissimo chrono gmt, which is a marvel. Slightly larger and thicker, but still ridiculously light.

The watches have a very "macbook air"-feel to them - utilitarian, beautiful, elegant and slim, while packing a whole host of gadgetry inside.

I'd love to buy one. Pictures to follow ...

Master
    I had a Bulgari octo chronograph in steel for a bit. Great value for money, but still very tricky to sell even at half retail.

I think they are amazing, and hope to see them in the flesh soon.

I wouldn’t be tempted at retail, but there are deep discounts through grey dealers. The grey I used for a recent B&R purchase has the titanium Octo Finissimo at £7.8K which looks compelling.

Dave

High recommend seeing one, it's worth it just to hold one. Yes, definitely at discount, retail feels a bit steep!

Might hit you up about that dealer if that's OK ...

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I think they are amazing, and hope to see them in the flesh soon.

I wouldn’t be tempted at retail, but there are deep discounts through grey dealers. The grey I used for a recent B&R purchase has the titanium Octo Finissimo at £7.8K which looks compelling.

Dave

Thanks for sharing, fascinating read. I managed to try-on the three hand Octo Finissimo in October. I really hope Bvlgari release the Chronograph in steel with the new 100m water resistance at Baselworld.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    Thanks for sharing, fascinating read. I managed to try-on the three hand Octo Finissimo in October. I really hope Bvlgari release the Chronograph in steel with the new 100m water resistance at Baselworld.
    They make a similar looking 100m chronograph, the veloscissimo, but it’s not ultrathin nor does it come on the cool bracelet, and it’s not a GMT.
    It would be awesome if they came out with a finissimo at 100m or even 60.
    I’d get it wet.

Bvlgari just released (or I should say announced) the time only, small seconds Octo Finnisimo in steel with 100m water resistance. Hoping this is the precursor to the Chronograph/GMT being released in steel

A few snaps from today. Didn't take one of the movement, sorry!

Craftsman
    Not really a fan of the standard ones but i think the ones that are covered in baguette diamonds are beautiful. Shame that they cost around £800k upwards

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I don’t know if and when I will get one but for me this is the watch of the decade.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone seen the titanium Chrono GMT for sale at less than £12,600?

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I don’t know if and when I will get one but for me this is the watch of the decade.
    Absolutely this

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I don't disagree with you but I find it "too thin" and "too light" for daily wear. It just looks odd on the wrist.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Has anyone seen the titanium Chrono GMT for sale at less than £12,600?
    Watches of Mayfair, £12,100.

Master
    I’ve no idea which model it is, but Gassan at Schiphol have a steel Bulgari in their discount display. IIRC it had a heavy discount.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I don't disagree with you but I find it "too thin" and "too light" for daily wear. It just looks odd on the wrist.
    From what I've read, the square shape stays pretty constrained to the wrist, not much movement. That is either a good or bad thing.

I agree I think they are brilliant. Incredible ultra-thin movements, why has it fallen to a 'fashion-brand' to push things forward?

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I think that is the USP of the watch, a technological marvel from what many consider a fashion brand.
    I normally like them hefty and chunky (watches:-)) but this appeals to me due to its slim profile and low weight. Combined with industrial looks, it works for me.

Edit: see the comment below which just crossed where Proby refers to it as a ‘fashion brand’:-)

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    I agree I think they are brilliant. Incredible ultra-thin movements, why has it fallen to a 'fashion-brand' to push things forward?
    Submariner, over 65 years of evolution
    Royal Oak, heading towards 50
    Nautilus an almost 45 year old design

It’s about time there was some innovation in this watch space, and fwiw the Bulgari is it

Dave

So Bulgari's story is rather more nuanced. They bought the Gerald Genta and Daniel Roth brands from the Hour Glass in a combined deal in 2000. That is when their story as a serious maker begins and building out production capabilities.

In 2010 they decided on consolidating the smaller brands and merging all under 'Bulgari' (likely because the scattered branding wasn't working). They then took a few key designs to kick off the new Bulgari 'aesthetic' - and so the Octo Finissimo was born. So a "fashion brand" maybe, but Bulgari had been planning for a while to be much, much more.

What do you guys think at £6575 for the 3 hander version? Flip-safe at that price? Same as Adrienwong's pics

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    What do you guys think at £6575 for the 3 hander version? Flip-safe at that price? Same as Adrienwong's pics
    It is almost a 40% discount if I am not mistaken.
    Sounds like a very good price to me.

What I like about this "fashion brand" is that they've been incredibly focused about some key design principles (simple dials, slimness, everyday wearability, faceted cases) and applied some radical engineering to get there (platinum micro-rotors, peripheral rotors, full-ceramic construction, ball-bearings in clasps). The blend of fashion, design and technical innovation makes is compelling ...

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    So Bulgari's story is rather more nuanced. They bought the Gerald Genta and Daniel Roth brands from the Hour Glass in a combined deal in 2000. That is when their story as a serious maker begins and building out production capabilities.

In 2010 they decided on consolidating the smaller brands and merging all under 'Bulgari' (likely because the scattered branding wasn't working). They then took a few key designs to kick off the new Bulgari 'aesthetic' - and so the Octo Finissimo was born. So a "fashion brand" maybe, but Bulgari had been planning for a while to be much, much more.
    - - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a v good price ... is that with the bracelet?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Just to be clear I have great admiration for Bulgari as a watch brand and own one their SD42S diver. I was more commenting on the market perception as a fashion brand which is a disservice.

Just to be clear I have great admiration for Bulgari as a watch brand and own one their SD42S diver. I was more commenting on the market perception as a fashion brand which is a disservice.
    OWNED one of their ......😄

Quote Originally Posted by adrianwong View Post

Indeed. I can see this price on Chrono24 on leather. Looks like £7800 on bracelet

D

I’d be very happy with 40% off.
    They have to walk a fine line as a developing luxury watch brand with regards to product availability, discounting, the second hand market value retention, etc. People in their target market have many watches, flip things often, etc. So far they seem like they they’re doing quite well. Are they advertising heavily in couture magazines, watch/gadget specific stuff, “influencers” etc? I’m not involved in that side of the hobby outside of a couple forums.
    I’m interested in seeing the 100m steel version. I’m tired of my go to Sea Dweller.

What I like about this "fashion brand" is that they've been incredibly focused about some key design principles (simple dials, slimness, everyday wearability, faceted cases) and applied some radical engineering to get there (platinum micro-rotors, peripheral rotors, full-ceramic construction, ball-bearings in clasps). The blend of fashion, design and technical innovation makes is compelling ...

- - - Updated - - -

Bracelet yes. Got your pm but can't help sorry mate

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master

A couple in the discount counter at Schiphol. They’ve been here last few months if you are thinking of nipping you view them.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post

A couple in the discount counter at Schiphol. They’ve been here last few months if you are thinking of nipping you view them.
    Not the Finissimo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Not the Finissimo.
    Apologises. A couple of Bulgari ..

Tried on the ceramic this week too. Very light, warm-feeling and even more comfortable.

Dial contrast is much better than pictures indicate.

What do you think?

Master

Bulgari Octo Finnissimo - thoughts?

For info, the Schiphol price ..

And comparison against Panerai and a credit card ( no, I didn’t)

Last edited by joe narvey; 12th February 2020 at 17:28.

Can be had on bracelet for around £7700 from Chrono24 sellers. Lovely watch. Does wear big though

Tried on the ceramic this week too. Very light, warm-feeling and even more comfortable.

Dial contrast is much better than pictures indicate.

What do you think?

Small-seconds is the pick of the bunch designwise, and I Love the contrast of the slate grey with rose gold, and with so many painstakingly-machined surfaces to consider, ceramic makes a compelling case for itself...

I suppose its downside is its impact fragility.

I'm a sucker for the standard Ti version. I do like some of the random versions they've done with other colour numerals - the 5th Avenue edition being a good example.

A few snaps from today. Didn't take one of the movement, sorry!

I do like these but it does look quite sizeable and is it bad to say it reminds me of a Bell and Ross?