closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: All this talk of dogs on train seats

Master

All this talk of dogs on train seats

If you're that impacted then take sick leave due to mental health or personal reasons for a few days.

Blog Entries
    The attachment can be great to our pets. A little understanding would go a long way.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I don't think so...anyone who's lost a dog will know that feeling, I lost my first dog in 2012 and it still gets me now.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My dog died from a brain tumour in April.
    She was my best mate and by my side for 10 years, through everything.
    The pain of her death absolutely matched the level of grief I felt when my mother died.

I do not consider myself to be a snowflake.

I can completely understand the attachment to her dog and the impact that would have had, particularly as she had owned the dog for 14 years of her 18 year life.

Those eyebrows on the other hand are completely unforgivable!

Having a pet pass away is never nice. It can feel like losing a family member.

However the rules are the rules because you'll get people taking the piss, not sure how you'd prove a pet passed away, and do we limit it to dogs? Do cats count? Rats, parrots, pets of your parents, relatives?

It's easier to rule pets out.

If I had that I'd just take a holiday off.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I can completely understand the attachment to her dog and the impact that would have had, particularly as she had owned the dog for 14 years of her 18 year life.

Those eyebrows on the other hand are completely unforgivable!
    It could definitely do with haircut.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I’ve never had a dog or cat - I’d never wish either any harm but I’m totally ambivalent to them, people tell me how cute they are but I don’t get any different feelings when I see a dog as opposed to a seagull or a mackerel! All deserve a good healthy life but I don’t get the cute thing. They smell and poo everywhere, and that’s about it for me - but hey we’re all different!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’ve never had a dog or cat - I’d never wish either any harm but I’m totally ambivalent to them, people tell me how cute they are but I don’t get any different feelings when I see a dog as opposed to a seagull or a mackerel! All deserve a good healthy life but I don’t get the cute thing. They smell and poo everywhere, and that’s about it for me - but hey we’re all different!

Feel the same way.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I feel the same way about other peoples' kids.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I feel the same way about other people.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I feel the same way about other TZers

Craftsman
    We had a cat for nearly 10 years and it died of a tumour. Very sad time but I definitely would not call for any leave. People need to get a grip and stop dramatising every issue!!!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Merkaholic View Post
    We had a cat for nearly 10 years and it died of a tumour. Very sad time but I definitely would not call for any leave. People need to get a grip and stop dramatising every issue!!!

Shut up

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Shut up
    I beg you pardon?

That story is a very good example of why I rarely visit the BBC news website. A non-story about someone being sacked from her part time job in a sandwich shop. Her on-line petition received 700 signatures, MY GOD stop the presses!

I'm sure her career prospects will have been enhanced by the publicity.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    That story is a very good example of why I rarely visit the BBC news website. A non-story about someone being sacked from her part time job in a sandwich shop. Her on-line petition received 700 signatures, MY GOD stop the presses!

I'm sure her career prospects will have been enhanced by the publicity.
    I totally agree........ With social media nower days, it don't take long to create a fuss about nothing.

Losing a loved pet is heartbreaking, I've gone through it many times unfortunately.

That said I have never missed work due to pet or relative death. You are better off keeping to your routine rather than going into a depression IMO.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I beg you pardon?

It means be quiet.

Craftsman
    It means be quiet.
    I shared a opinion on a open forum. If you didn't like it you should have politely disagreed!

Its people like you that let rest of the side down!

I shared a opinion on a open forum. If you didn't like it you should have politely disagreed!

Its people like you that let rest of the side down!

No you told a group of people on an open forum to get a grip and to stop dramatising about one of the most horrible experiences hardly polite. There’s many a list on here where people have openly admitted about being crippled by the death of a dog.... me one of them.
    My response was in the same vein. Don’t like it tough

Blog Entries
    I feel the same way about people with no empathy.

The loss of a pet will affect their owners in different degrees and I think a little bit of compassion can go a long way in employer/employee relationships.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    No you told a group of people on an open forum to get a grip and to stop dramatising about one of the most horrible experiences hardly polite. There’s many a list on here where people have openly admitted about being crippled by the death of a dog.... me one of them.
    My response was in the same vein. Don’t like it tough

You sad old man......

You sad old man......

Welcome back to the forum

Craftsman
    Welcome back to the forum
    Thanks for the welcome......... Try not to open all the bottles of champagne

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Losing a loved pet is heartbreaking, I've gone through it many times unfortunately.

That said I have never missed work due to pet or relative death. You are better off keeping to your routine rather than going into a depression IMO.
    Im fortunate that I was working from home on the day I had to have bags put down. I told work I was finishing up at 4 and they were fine as my wfh hours are flexible so I just started early and finished early.
    It was a Thursday and I took the Friday as annual leave in advance as I knew I'd be a mess. Back in on Monday.

Master

Thanks for the welcome......... Try not to open all the bottles of champagne

Never drink during the day, tends to make me intolerant of idiots. This afternoon I seem to be more intolerant though than usual without drinking.... make of that what you will.

Maybe part of my ‘pet ambivalence’ is down to hearing how awful it is for the owner when they (inevitably) pass away. I can quite understand how upsetting losing someone so close to you can be but I have no personal experience of this pet-wise so it seems a bit odd from my perspective. They smell, poo everywhere, ruin gardens, cost a fortune in insurance and vet fees, need constant attention - and whenever I’ve speculated over getting a dog as a companion for my youngest son, who has Down’s and mild autism, literally every dog owner says ‘yes, but they’re a terrible tie, make sure you get this breed not that breed, they cost a lot to keep, if I were you I wouldn’t bother’ which is very odd!
    Even odder, dogs seem to absolutely love me ! I treat them with total indifference, the occasional pat and stroke and they’re always my best friend - like I say I wouldn’t ever do any animal harm, but I don’t see a ‘person’ when I look at them, which a lot of people do

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Maybe part of my ‘pet ambivalence’ is down to hearing how awful it is for the owner when they (inevitably) pass away. I can quite understand how upsetting losing someone so close to you can be but I have no personal experience of this pet-wise so it seems a bit odd from my perspective. They smell, poo everywhere, ruin gardens, cost a fortune in insurance and vet fees, need constant attention - and whenever I’ve speculated over getting a dog as a companion for my youngest son, who has Down’s and mild autism, literally every dog owner says ‘yes, but they’re a terrible tie, make sure you get this breed not that breed, they cost a lot to keep, if I were you I wouldn’t bother’ which is very odd!
    Even odder, dogs seem to absolutely love me ! I treat them with total indifference, the occasional pat and stroke and they’re always my best friend - like I say I wouldn’t ever do any animal harm, but I don’t see a ‘person’ when I look at them, which a lot of people do

My partners son is autistic and the dogs (now) in his life have really REALLY helped with his anxiety and calm. First bags and then Mavis, they've had a wonderful effect.
    They don't smell if you keep then clean, in the same way that you won't smell if you keep yourself clean.
    They don't "poo everywhere", they poo twice a day tops and you scoop it up in a plastic bag tie it and bin it.
    Ive never had a garden ruined by a dog.
    I think tie is subjective, you've got a kid, a job, a house to run and bills to pay, our entire lives are a tie.
    Mine costs 15 quid insurance per month and 50 quid per year for vet check up and booster injections. Food is around 20 per month for a small breed.. flea/tick treatment 50 per year so around 500-600 a year which I find more than acceptable for the level of happiness.
    They don't need constant attention, no more than a partner or kid, they sleep for something like 14 hours a day.
    Last edited by verv; 15th August 2019 at 14:58.

Craftsman

I agree..... Even though our cat died afte nearly 10 years and we loved it dearly, it was still a cat........ Not sure i have the same emotional sentiments towards the loss of a human to a pet/animal.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Cats and dogs have different relationships to humans entirely.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Cats and dogs have different relationships to humans entirely.
    I totally agree.

There is some truth in all of what you say, but it really does depend on what floats your boat really.

The larger the dog, the more they tend to cost in both medical terms and everyday feeding. Larger dogs generally also do not tend to live as long as smaller dogs. A large dog in a small garden will wreck it fast, but a small dog in a large garden will not make a dent. Horses for courses (or should that be dogs for gardens).

Different breeds do have different characteristics, but even within each breed, they are all still individual characters. Getting a dog (breed, size, nature) which suits your personal circumstances is critical to the happiness of everyone involved!

Losing a beloved pet is utterly heartbreaking. I know some very roughty-toughty blokes who have been utterly devastated for weeks after their dog died, one of which was happy to admit it was more traumatic that losing his parents.

There is no question that owning a dog is a tie, but your own circumstances and outlook will depend on how much this is a positive or a negative. If far-flung, month-long holidays is your thing, then a dog may not suit you so well. I love going on holiday with my dogs and would never put them into kennels as that is totally alien for the way my relationship works with my dogs. Playing/walking with your dog on a deserted beach is a very fine way to spend a day. Walking a dog every day can be VERY sociable (and it is good for you!). My mothers social scene revolves mostly around people she has met walking dogs over the years.

Until you have your own dog, and have spent several months getting to know each other, you will probably never understand fully the companionship and bond that can form between an animal and a human. I dont see a human, but I do see a very loyal and loving companion. It is not for everyone and that is fair enough, but for me, my house would cease to be a home without at least one dog in it. The happiness and joy my daft trio of dogs can bring when you are having a bad day is staggering.
    I am sure your youngest son would benefit if a dog were to fit into your lifestyle, but do your research first!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    ^well said and completely agree.

I feel the same way about Chris.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

All wise words. We actually live near a deserted beach, have a large house and garden and I’m sure our youngest son would benefit. However, he can be quite ‘rough and tumble’ and the breed/temperament is paramount. He’s a bit of a hugger so small and fragile dogs are a no go!
    I think what really puts us off is the extra responsibility (it’s already very hard to visit anywhere with our son due to his behaviour so spinning a dog into the mix might make that even harder) and he wets/soils the bed nearly every night so having more poo/wee to clear up doesn’t appeal! - perhaps we need to borrow an autism dog, if it helps our son it might help all of us I guess

Blog Entries
    All wise words. We actually live near a deserted beach, have a large house and garden and I’m sure our youngest son would benefit. However, he can be quite ‘rough and tumble’ and the breed/temperament is paramount. He’s a bit of a hugger so small and fragile dogs are a no go!
    I think what really puts us off is the extra responsibility (it’s already very hard to visit anywhere with our son due to his behaviour so spinning a dog into the mix might make that even harder) and he wets/soils the bed nearly every night so having more poo/wee to clear up doesn’t appeal! - perhaps we need to borrow an autism dog, if it helps our son it might help all of us I guess

It sounds as if it would be fairly risky to have a dog.

AFAIK dogs do not like to be hugged/embraced to the point that some of them could snap. Ready to stand corrected on this.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Originally Posted by trident-7

AND VDG SAID - I feel the same way about Chris.
    See my comment elsewhere, ah, you can't 'cos you is binned.

Never mind.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Not sure if you've already seen it but have a read of ' A friend like Henry. Real life story of a young autistic boy whos life was turned around by a goldy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    AFAIK dogs do not like to be hugged/embraced to the point that some of them could snap. Ready to stand corrected on this.
    Many don't like it. And many are put down because they snap at children who are acting in inappropriate ways toward them. They aren't cuddly toys, they are animals who can't say 'this is hurting me' or 'I don't like this please stop it'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

See my comment elsewhere, ah, you can't 'cos you is binned.

Never mind.
    I too commented about you elsewhere. Ah, you don't know where do you, too bad. Oh well, never mind.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Many don't like it. And many are put down because they snap at children who are acting in inappropriate ways toward them. They aren't cuddly toys, they are animals who can't say 'this is hurting me' or 'I don't like this please stop it'.
    And this is really one of the main reasons we haven’t got one. However, Our son Harry - cliche coming up cos it’s true In his case - has that lovely Down’s trait of warmth and happiness 100% of the time and dogs - even those which their owners say don’t like children - seem to gravitate towards him and wag their tails like mad no matter their temperament. He has a lot of empathy for the moods of those around him and as he gets older is becoming slightly more predictable so keeping an open mind

And this is really one of the main reasons we haven’t got one. However, Our son Harry - cliche coming up cos it’s true In his case - has that lovely Down’s trait of warmth and happiness 100% of the time and dogs - even those which their owners say don’t like children - seem to gravitate towards him and wag their tails like mad no matter their temperament. He has a lot of empathy for the moods of those around him and as he gets older is becoming slightly more predictable so keeping an open mind

It sounds like you know exactly what is best for your situation already, so I apologise if my post above was teaching you to suck eggs. It was meant with the very best of intentions.

My three Golden Retrievers all love to be hugged and they genuinely wouldn't hurt a fly, they would yelp if you squeezed them to tight, but would never bite. They are even scared of squeaky toys as they think they have hurt them when they squeak!
    I do know of other Goldies who are far less tolerant though.

The only negative for us would be the amount of hair they have, as it is like having constant dog-hair tumbleweed everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I'd agree to a point, but a lot depends on the breed and as for humans the individual anamal.

My dog, Harvey, is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. You could squeeze him, hit him, pull his tail or bite him and all be would do is yelp and look at you funny, confused why you would hurt him. That's pretty typical of his bread, but I have no doubt there are exceptions.

I would suggest something like a spaniel, golden retriever or a toller. Something intelligent enough to figure your son out, playful enough to keep up but likes to cuddle up when tired.

Of the above 3 crazy/ energy levels decrease with increasing size, so the bigger dogs are often no more hard work as they are more docile.

If your genuinely interested, call your local dog training school and see if they have any dog socialisation classes where you can meet different breeds.
    Last edited by Bluehase284; 16th August 2019 at 13:32.