closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tritium bremsstrahlung

Tritium bremsstrahlung

Recently I’ve been researching (reading about) the safety aspects of wearing watches with Tritium painted dials. I understand that Tritium emits low energy Beta decay, mostly retained within the watch itself (if fitted with a glass crystal), but I’m keen to understand more regarding the bremsstrahlung effect of the particles hitting the steel case. Would any physicists care to educate me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To express it in simple terms: Keep tritium away from your bremsstrahlung and you will be fine:-)

I’m pretty sure the effect would be very weak compared to the already fairly low beta radiation. I think you might get a tiny flicker of X-rays.

Think of it a bit like the screeching sound from the tyres of a car that is braking hard. The energy the car is losing has to go somewhere, and it gets turned into heat and sound as well as breaking tiny bits of rubber and tarmac off the tyre and road.

Bremsstrahlung isn't peculiar to Tritium. Therefore a simple web search will find plenty of articles "to understand more regarding the bremsstrahlung effect."

As for the use of tritium in watches, I suggest this article...link.

You should also understand that most of the radiation doses and dose limits you will see being discussed are for the whole body. The skin is treated as an organ along with other specific parts of the body. The skin not a particularly sensitive organ, indeed it is considerably less sensitive than some others eg bone marrow.

For more background, try these links:

Bottom line...I wouldn't (and don't) worry about it.

Edit See also...Ionising Radiation and you.
    Last edited by PickleB; 15th August 2019 at 13:04.