closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex rippers

Rolex rippers

Interesting article about a series of Rolex thefts in the U.K.:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/12/rolex...-him-16988994/

I wonder what distraction was deployed ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    I wonder what distraction was deployed ?
    Well it certainly wasn’t her looks

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Boobs.

Journeyman
    I wonder how they figured out her identity from CCTV footage.

Boobs.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone else think the watch in pics is spurious.

Not seen a bi metal YM II with blue hands before and the pushers look just wrong.

edit - I stand corrected, still looks awful in my eyes.
    Last edited by ben4watches; 13th July 2022 at 21:02.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Might be my eyesight and lack of knowledge but is the watch in the photo real?

Master
    Sad state of affairs when if like me all Rolexes get no wrist time in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Anyone else think the watch in pics is spurious.

Not seen a bi metal YM II with blue hands before and the pushers look just wrong.

edit - I stand corrected, still looks awful in my eyes.
    My first thought was that that picture was of a fake YMII, it just doesn’t look right.

That’s not saying that the victims watch was fake, just that the reporter was being lazy

Craftsman
    Saw Paul Thorpe's video on this.

It seems the method of distraction was to go up and hug the victim and remove the watch in the process.

Hmm...

...What a very unflattering mugshot:

Master
    Machete-wielding thieves on mopeds and e-bikes strike 109 times in two months to rip £20,000 timepieces from wrists of their victims

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-months.html

My father actually got robbed by her a few months ago in Stroud. He was sitting in his car and she asked him to sign some kind of petition relating to homeless children. After he did it, she reached into the car to give him a hug of thanks and she stole his Datejust, which I bought for him a few years ago when Rolexes were cheaper and I was more wealthy (my ex-wife has cleaned me out since). He's really upset about it and felt pretty stupid at the time. It was reported to the police, but his insurance wouldn't cover it.

I'm glad she got caught, but it doesn't look like the watch will be coming back.

Sent from my SM-S908B using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pseunomis View Post
    My father actually got robbed by her a few months ago in Stroud. He was sitting in his car and she asked him to sign some kind of petition relating to homeless children. After he did it, she reached into the car to give him a hug of thanks and she stole his Datejust, which I bought for him a few years ago when Rolexes were cheaper and I was more wealthy (my ex-wife has cleaned me out since). He's really upset about it and felt pretty stupid at the time. It was reported to the police, but his insurance wouldn't cover it.

I'm glad she got caught, but it doesn't look like the watch will be coming back.

Sorry to hear about your father but on what grounds did the insurance refuse to pay out ?

I would need to check with him again, but I assume his policy didn't cover it out of the house...

She actually reminds me of my bulldog having his temperature taken.

Spot the difference ...

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

If a puffy lipped Romany woman tries to give you a hug I would suggest getting her in a headlock tighter than what Rickson Gracie could apply..

Master
    I would need to check with him again, but I assume his policy didn't cover it out of the house...

Every insurance company has different rules but one rule that is consistent is that if the watch is removed from your person then it is payable.

The most common trick is for a couple of people to throw bird poo over someone and then they come over laughing and get their hankies out and help him wipe it off. They walk off and wave goodbye and then he realises his watch has been lifted. That sort of incident is covered.

Thanks. I'll check with him. I have a bit of a downer on insurance companies at the moment, as my wife lost her engagement ring and mine is refusing to cover that. Been through the ombudsman with no success, so looking at whether to try legal proceedings...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Every insurance company has different rules but one rule that is consistent is that if the watch is removed from your person then it is payable.

The most common trick is for a couple of people to throw bird poo over someone and then they come over laughing and get their hankies out and help him wipe it off. They walk off and wave goodbye and then he realises his watch has been lifted. That sort of incident is covered.
    Confusing ... a watch covered under home contents insurance is generally only covered for theft if stolen from the home unless you've paid extra for 'personal possessions' etc on items then covered outside the house.

https://www.comparethemarket.com/hom...tch-insurance/
    'Q: Will my watch be covered outside of the home?
    A; Usually, only if you have personal possessions cover. Most home contents policies don’t cover your possessions outside of your home, so if you wear your watch every day, it could be worth having personal possessions cover.'

That's what it sounds like pseunomis might have been reporting.

Blog Entries
    It's a sorry state of affairs when foreign criminals are targeting people, mostly elderly, in the streets. They attempted to steal my late fathers wallet but he was too quick for them. I hope karma caught up with them for me.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Confusing ... a watch covered under home contents insurance is generally only covered for theft if stolen from the home unless you've paid extra for 'personal possessions' etc on items then covered outside the house.

https://www.comparethemarket.com/hom...tch-insurance/
    'Q: Will my watch be covered outside of the home?
    A; Usually, only if you have personal possessions cover. Most home contents policies don’t cover your possessions outside of your home, so if you wear your watch every day, it could be worth having personal possessions cover.'

That's what it sounds like pseunomis might have been reporting.
    But this would not apply if you insured a specific watch.

Thanks. I'll check with him. I have a bit of a downer on insurance companies at the moment, as my wife lost her engagement ring and mine is refusing to cover that. Been through the ombudsman with no success, so looking at whether to try legal proceedings...

I dare say that you and the ombudsman have read the policy very carefully, and I would assume that the ombudsman has taken into account that any ambiguity in the policy - the law sides with the insured, as it is the underwriter’s duty to make the wording unambiguous or take the hit.

I guess the acid question is: “Was it ‘reasonable’ for you to believe that the ring was covered for accidental loss, according to the policy document?”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post
    Saw Paul Thorpe's video on this.

It seems the method of distraction was to go up and hug the victim and remove the watch in the process.

Hmm...

...What a very unflattering mugshot:

Agreed ..looks like she has a Rolex hidden up her arse.

The ombudsman admitted the ambiguity in the policy, as did my broker, the insurer's loss adjuster and the person who did the first review before I appealed it to the actual ombudsman!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I dare say that you and the ombudsman have read the policy very carefully, and I would assume that the ombudsman has taken into account that any ambiguity in the policy - the law sides with the insured, as it is the underwriter’s duty to make the wording unambiguous or take the hit.

I guess the acid question is: “Was it ‘reasonable’ for you to believe that the ring was covered for accidental loss, according to the policy document?”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Agreed ..looks like she has a Rolex hidden up her arse.
    Still in the box by the looks of it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    It's a sorry state of affairs when foreign criminals are targeting people, mostly elderly, in the streets. They attempted to steal my late fathers wallet but he was too quick for them. I hope karma caught up with them for me.
    So it's okay for our ''home grown'' criminals?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Yep - let's keep Britain for British crooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Yep - let's keep Britain for British and Russian political crooks.
    FTFY

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    British criminals are the best.