closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wall clock ideas?

Wall clock ideas?

Hey folks - I'm looking for a nice wall clock for the kitchen. I'd rather not pay a fortune for some nasty tat with a £2 motor and a fancy brand name...so any ideas on something that would satisfy a watch person (i.e. snob)? I'd spend up to £150 say, but cheaper is fine! Just to give an idea, I quite like the idea of an IWC dealer clock or something, but they seem to go for a bit more money than that.

(Actually, now that I think of it, an IWC dealer clock may well come with a £2 motor. Damn.)

It's noisy, weighs a ton and needs winding every few days:

With matching watch! :)

Last edited by Lampoc; 13th August 2019 at 21:31.

We’ve had one of these Smiths Sectric clocks from Roger Lascelles for a couple of years. They have the rights to produce them and they have a lovely sweep second hand like the electric originals. Only £42 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Danstone; 13th August 2019 at 22:27.

Some of the Vitra ones are nice and probably have at least a 5.00 quartz module inside.

I have the George Nelson asterisk clock and it is compact but looks good and all metal apart from the aforementioned module which does look replaceable.

I also have a poor quality Hublot "dealer" clock in the garage but wouldn't pay more than 30 or so for one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    In my kitchen I have this lovely vintage Seiko

photo upload without registration

Master
    Blog Entries
    These are readily available, I have this in the front room its very quiet.

Blog Entries
    Seiko wooden 60s/70s 30-day wind up wall clock with day and date. Looks like something that should be on the wall of a post office or railway station. Chimes. Really nice. Like this:

Or Staiger West German 70s/80s quartz wall clock. Austere-looking, German. Mine has a similar dial to this one, but has a plastic wood-effect case (looks nicer than it sounds).

Sorry, pics of mine are not available right now.

I have a Braun Clock. Quartz, silent and a sweeping hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mondaine Railway Clock... Just a few pounds over your budget : https://www.swiss-store.co.uk/watche...el-white-p1752

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Seiko wooden 60s/70s 30-day wind up wall clock with day and date. Looks like something that should be on the wall of a post office or railway station. Chimes. Really nice. Like this:

Or Staiger West German 70s/80s quartz wall clock. Austere-looking, German. Mine has a similar dial to this one, but has a plastic wood-effect case (looks nicer than it sounds).

Sorry, pics of mine are not available right now.

That is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Mondaine Railway Clock... Just a few pounds over your budget : https://www.swiss-store.co.uk/watche...el-white-p1752
    I was thinking of this too - lived in Switzerland for a little while so it would have some meaning. Strangely expensive though!

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    I was thinking of this too - lived in Switzerland for a little while so it would have some meaning. Strangely expensive though!
    The page title says 'Stop2Go' which I THINK means... Its one of the ones that stops the seconds hand... Then plays catch up.

There's a red bodied one on amazon for £123. Not sure if it's a stop2go though.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    The page title says 'Stop2Go' which I THINK means... Its one of the ones that stops the seconds hand... Then plays catch up.

There's a red bodied one on amazon for £123. Not sure if it's a stop2go though.
    Pretty sure only the dearer 'smart' version does the stop 2 go.
    I have one of those, it has bluetooth and you connect to it with a phone app to set the time. It can be set to either do the classic Mondaine stop at 59 seconds thing or behave like a normal clock. It's a nice clock but a couple of things let it down slightly for me, the hands don't line up brilliantly with the markers in some places and it's not synced with an atomic source - it syncs with your phone only when you connect with the app and otherwise it runs free - quite fast in my case. Very easy to re set though.

Vintage Smiths Sectric - characterful, affordable, keep good time and lovely Bakelite!