closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning hands free in cars

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Pretty girls on the pavement do help reduce speed. (Especially on a hot day.)
    I would happily sign a petition to increase the number of pretty girls on each and every pavement! Although in this PC age, I guess that would be taken as sexist.
    It's just a matter of time...

I'm in Wales and if it wasn't for Waze I'd be well lost. Brilliant to use and plenty of warning of hazards. Hardly have to look at it 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I'm fairly sure it comes down to what you are used to. Some drivers are on the phone all the time and cope very easily with it. Some who may not undertake calls on a regular basis may well be distracted. I have been on many long distance drives, as a passenger, where the driver has take a call and been well equipped to deal with anything.

The world is evolving - we are quite capable of adapting with it. there is no need to put unnecessary restrictions on day to day activities. However, I do believe more needs to be done about the women I have seen (yes, I am sure there are men guilty too, I just haven't seen them yet) doing their full make up in the mirror, or eating a bloody bowl of cornflakes, while driving in heavy traffic!
    It's hard to know what point you are making. Phone conversations are distracting - this is a fact. Whoever your driver was would have been distracted. He didn't crash, I assume, but it's still unsafe. Nothing is so urgent that you can't find somewhere to stop.

The things in your second para are already prohibited.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I'm in Wales and if it wasn't for Waze I'd be well lost. Brilliant to use and plenty of warning of hazards. Hardly have to look at it 
    Would be even less distracting w/o the daft pacman style animation.

Master
    Seems quite clear to me, some people can multitask with ease others not.

You seem very pro to the possibility of a ban, has your life been impacted by someone using a phone whilst driving?

Yes, factor in the drivers ability to muli-task in any legislation.

Master
    Now I didn't suggest that did I.

My suggestion would be to not bother at all with new legislation, there are plenty already in place that aren't enforced why bother with more.

If you can't push a green button on your steering wheel have a conversation and then press a red button to end a call without having an accident you shouldn't really be driving in the first place.
    Most phones will auto answer and when the other end puts down that'll end the call.
    More blanket legislation where it doesn't need to be......imo.

Would be even less distracting w/o the daft pacman style animation.
    Quite apart from the general Google creepiness, that infantile UI is the reason I can't be doing with Waze and stubbornly stick to Tomtom on my iPhone, despite the ongoing subscription cost.

Master
    You are mad.

I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    If you can't push a green button on your steering wheel have a conversation and then press a red button to end a call without having an accident you shouldn't really be driving in the first place.
    Most phones will auto answer and when the other end puts down that'll end the call.
    I'd say 70% of current drivers shouldn't be driving, regardless of whether they can answer a call or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    I'd say 70% of current drivers shouldn't be driving, regardless of whether they can answer a call or not.
    I can go one better, I don’t understand how anyone else is allowed to drive on the roads I use, when I use them. Peasants!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I think that's the main point.

If you are incapable of driving to a decent standard whilst taking a call, then get of the F'n road and leave it to those of us who can/could.

Spend the time effort and money enforcing current transgressions.

If you are incapable of driving to a decent standard whilst taking a call, then get of the F'n road and leave it to those of us who can/could.

Indeed - my Mother-in-Law is unable to drive with the radio on and the journey is so stressful it's better not to be involved.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    You could start by enforcing the already in place laws before adding to the list that are ignored, how about people who place their sat navs right in the middle of the windscreen using it like some kind of 'head up' display, bizarre.
    Worse still, rear view mirrors standard causing a blind spot in frónt of the car!

I don´t use the phone in the car period, switch off the ´gadgets´display, find the satnav highly distracting and logic is that actually lístening to music, worse still interesting talk on the radio, is distracting per definition.

Point is that a certain level of distraction must be accepted; p.e. passengers will always distract at some moment to some extend, and if that lowers the driving capabilities too much, than that person should not be driving.

Again that smoking. I fail to see why smoking is ok whereas eating a mars bar or drinking from a squirt bottle is prohibited.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post

Again that smoking. I fail to see why smoking is ok whereas eating a mars bar or drinking from a squirt bottle is prohibited.
    If you are going by the letter of the law, I thought smoking was the same as eating/drinking?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    If you are going by the letter of the law, I thought smoking was the same as eating/drinking?
    That logic is overruled by revenue on smoking.

It's pretty obvious that you are a masterfully-competent driver, however the news is that phone conversations are distracting. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If they would enforce the current laws this wouldn't even be thought of.

On my 45 minute motorbike ride into work I see 30-40 people texting and another 10 or so holding the phone to their ear. At least twice a week I'll smell weed while filtering through traffic. Weirdly I smell it more in the mornings than on the way home.

Of course there are no police anywhere and law without enforcement is meaningless.
    Exactly, I regularly see drivers on the phone driving on my daily commute but since Theresa May destroyed the Police there is very little chance of anyone being caught.

Anyone drive a tesla and will self driving change the rules.. I could never let a computer drive for me without constant fear..

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    but since Theresa May destroyed the Police there is very little chance of anyone being caught.
    Not so. Modern traffic surveilance cameras automatically detect a wide range of such infractions (seat belt, eating/drinking p.e.) and all needed is a low pay grade button pusher to check the list produced by them; a ´confirm´ and the fine goes out.
    Over here in Spain these cameras are appearing like weeds! as they are highly profitable.

Not so. Modern traffic surveilance cameras automatically detect a wide range of such infractions (seat belt, eating/drinking p.e.) and all needed is a low pay grade button pusher to check the list produced by them; a ´confirm´ and the fine goes out.
    Over here in Spain these cameras are appearing like weeds! as they are highly profitable.
    There's a few very dodgy speed cameras on the 340, and all on hills, it wouldn't surprise me is they were looking at other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    It's pretty obvious that you are a masterfully-competent driver, however the news is that phone conversations are distracting. That's it.
    Yes, I consider myself to be a competent driver. I don't think anyone that isn't should be allowed on the road. The testing parameters for the research are usually very flawed. You can't judge people who never use a phone/handsfree in a car and appear to be overly affects by that, against other drivers that use a phone all the time. They should have a true test to disruptions, such as calls during the actual driving test and if it overly affects you, then you don't pass the test - simple.

I drive and ride motorbikes, covering more miles than most. Regularly using a group intercom when riding with a group - which actually makes things a lot safer with a few riders all noticing potential hazards and advising each other accordingly.

Lots of things may be slightly distracting when driving - but they shouldn't be overly distracting, or you should stay away from the steering wheel IMHO.

As I said previously, if you can't push a few buttons and have a conversation you shouldn't be on the road.
    Being a masterful driver has nothing to do with it.
    If you cant carry out a simple multi-task get off the freaking roads........that's the news.

No!!! the news is that everything is distracting and always has been, if you cant manage the situation you shouldn't be driving.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

If you cant carry out a simple multi-task get off the freaking roads.......
    That should see most male drivers form the road then.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    No!!! the news is that everything is distracting and always has been, if you cant manage the situation you shouldn't be driving.
    I'm old enough to remember the days before mobile phones existed, so they certainly were not distracting then.

The proposed legislation is about minimising distractions. Not all distractions can be eliminated, but taking phone calls when driving can be. Very straightforward.

As I said previously, if you can't push a few buttons and have a conversation you shouldn't be on the road.
    Being a masterful driver has nothing to do with it.
    If you cant carry out a simple multi-task get off the freaking roads........that's the news.
    Not every phone call will result in an accident, just as not every drunk driver either crashes or is caught by the police. But the evidence shows that some calls can be distracting, and I really do not understand why anyone could possibly object to banning hands-free calls. What is so important that it can't wait until you can stop, turn off the engine, and call back?

I drive and ride motorbikes, covering more miles than most. Regularly using a group intercom when riding with a group - which actually makes things a lot safer with a few riders all noticing potential hazards and advising each other accordingly.
    You really can't "get used to" distracting calls as every call is different. If someone phones you and asks a very technical question, I doubt 100% of your attention will be on the road.

Not every phone call will result in an accident, just as not every drunk driver either crashes or is caught by the police. But the evidence shows that some calls can be distracting, and I really do not understand why anyone could possibly object to banning hands-free calls. What is so important that it can't wait until you can stop, turn off the engine, and call back?
    Because they don’t need to be banned due to a small number of people who can’t multi-task

Because they don’t need to be banned due to a small number of people who can’t multi-task
    How many people do you think can't "multi-task"?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Traffic regulations are set up for the weakest links; the minimum skill level passing the exam.

Banning hands free in cars

Surely this could all be resolved with a motor racing league where drivers took random phone calls during the race and had to answer basic maths and spelling questions. Any wrong answers would result in a stop go penalty.

Reckon that would sort out hoe distracting phone calls are, plus be pretty damn entertaining to watch.
    Last edited by Dean Learner; 16th August 2019 at 12:37. Reason: Typed while driving so had to correct the errors 😝

How many people do you think can't "multi-task"?
    Well I’d hope the vast majority of drivers- it’s a minimum standard surely?

The increased risk behaviour following from saffety features is called the Peltzman effect.
    Learnt something today, thank you.

I’ve been a long term believer that modern cars are really distancing the occupants from what the car is doing and rather than taking risks they’re actually just oblivious. Cars are so easy to drive and isolating from the outside world it is way to easy to be complacent of the physics involved.

Master
    Some people seem to think hands free driving is a thing. Obviously it's not uncommon but I saw someone this morning maneuvering a corner with a fag in their right hand (forefinger and second finger) while securely (not!) holding the wheel with thumb and fingers four and five. Funny how that's not seen as a problem.

Apparently, we are not good at this form of multitasking as you think.

"An expert told the committee that taking a hands-free phone call caused "essentially the same" amount of distraction as being at the legal limit for alcohol blood level in England and Wales."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49320473

Apparently, we are not good at this form of multitasking as you think.

"An expert told the committee that taking a hands-free phone call caused "essentially the same" amount of distraction as being at the legal limit for alcohol blood level in England and Wales."

So ok then, great news

We shouldn't ban one distraction whilst other distractions exist.

Master

Having watched some of these traffic police TV programmes. If you "blow" on the legal limit, they count that as a pass as (for some reason) they allow a margin.

Master

Banning hands free in cars

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Surely it must be technically possibly for car makers to ensure that telephone signals are blocked inside a car when the ignition is switched on.
    Technically, yes it is possible. It’s actually fairly straightforward too. However it is really difficult to confine the effect to the inside of the vehicle.

Legally it’s a no-no though, as jammers are not permitted.

Sent from my calculator using a lawnmower.
    Last edited by JasonG; 16th August 2019 at 15:25.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Having watched some of these traffic police TV programmes. If you "blow" on the legal limit, they count that as a pass as (for some reason) they allow a margin.
    No margin needed, the offence is being over the limit.
    On the limit is not over.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Yes, a leaky feeder, I am sure shops and restaurants use them, but they are illegal, or used to be
    Indeed. They are not legal and when I notice one in use, they get a “surprise visit.”

Sent from my calculator using a lawnmower.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would image the police, ambulance and fire services use a hands free facility in their vehicles...... WTF

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post
    I’ve been a long term believer that modern cars are really distancing the occupants from what the car is doing and rather than taking risks they’re actually just oblivious. Cars are so easy to drive and isolating from the outside world it is way to easy to be complacent of the physics involved.
    It starts with the very basics such as power steering. Depending on the system and amount of assistance this inherently reduces the feedback of the tyre friction to the hands. The extreme of it is electric power steering.
    In effect power steering disconnects the driver from the road. The feedback now primarily comes from the movement of the car.
    The result is that all smells of roses till it goes wrong; the band width of warning has been all but eliminated,

The same applies to abs, traction control and awd.

This packaged in heavier cars with more powerful engines.

The complacency about the physics goes accompanied by ignorance about them. Take the tyre load sensitivity; which SUV driver is aware of the reduced grip available instead of feeling safer?!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Please read that back and thínk. Ofcourse the average, the middle, cannot be the norm for the regulations!

Driver capacities can be seen as a bell graph. The ´bump´ represenst the average group.
    The minium skill leven for the regulations is on the steep side of the lower side of that bump. Or in other words, the weakest score of the largest group; the weak side of the bulk, the low boundary of the average group.

Please read that back and thínk. Ofcourse the average, the middle, cannot be the norm for the regulations!

Driver capacities can be seen as a bell graph. The ´bump´ represenst the average group.
    The minium skill leven for the regulations is on the steep side of the lower side of that bump. Or in other words, the weakest score of the largest group; the weak side of the bulk, the low boundary of the average group.
    I dont really care Cilla.....bore off

Ill repeat if you can't drive a car and hold a conversation you shouldn't be driving.

Master
    No margin needed, the offence is being over the limit.
    On the limit is not over.
    I wasn't clear. Someone will "blow", say, 37 (over teh E&W limit of 35) and be told it's not "policy" to prosecute. Can't remember which force and the exact numbers but I thought it odd if the equipment gives reliable readings.

Master
    It starts with the very basics such as power steering. Depending on the system and amount of assistance this inherently reduces the feedback of the tyre friction to the hands. The extreme of it is electric power steering.
    In effect power steering disconnects the driver from the road. The feedback now primarily comes from the movement of the car.
    The result is that all smells of roses till it goes wrong; the band width of warning has been all but eliminated,

The same applies to abs, traction control and awd.

This packaged in heavier cars with more powerful engines.

The complacency about the physics goes accompanied by ignorance about them. Take the tyre load sensitivity; which SUV driver is aware of the reduced grip available instead of feeling safer?!
    So are you going to sit there and tell me that all these systems now make the car less safe?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    So are you going to sit there and tell me that all these systems now make the car less safe?
    Don't waste your time mate....same drivel different day.
    Unless you're driven round in a 1980s DAFT or 80s Sports car then your choice of car is a peltzman and you will likely die on the road at some point.