closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Banning hands free in cars

Hybrid View

Banning hands free in cars

Now they are discussing banning hands free calls in cars, its a bandwagon, what about sat-navs and text/email capable infotainment systems, then there are steering wheel controls, gear shifts and pedals, the steering wheel itself, window controls, the competence of the driver, other idiots on the road and last but not least Passengers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49320473

Mobile phone calls are way down the list of distractions just let it go.

If they would enforce the current laws this wouldn't even be thought of.

On my 45 minute motorbike ride into work I see 30-40 people texting and another 10 or so holding the phone to their ear. At least twice a week I'll smell weed while filtering through traffic. Weirdly I smell it more in the mornings than on the way home.

Of course there are no police anywhere and law without enforcement is meaningless.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

On my 45 minute motorbike ride into work I see 30-40 people texting and another 10 or so holding the phone to their ear. At least twice a week I'll smell weed while filtering through traffic. Weirdly I smell it more in the mornings than on the way home.

Of course there are no police anywhere and law without enforcement is meaningless.
    Totally agree with everything you say, why people still use the phone hand held is beyond me even in cars with Bluetooth connectivity. Using hands free can hardly be more distractive than talking to your passenger and probably less distractive than trying to light a cigarette whilst driving.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

Exactly, I regularly see drivers on the phone driving on my daily commute but since Theresa May destroyed the Police there is very little chance of anyone being caught.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    but since Theresa May destroyed the Police there is very little chance of anyone being caught.
    Not so. Modern traffic surveilance cameras automatically detect a wide range of such infractions (seat belt, eating/drinking p.e.) and all needed is a low pay grade button pusher to check the list produced by them; a ´confirm´ and the fine goes out.
    Over here in Spain these cameras are appearing like weeds! as they are highly profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Not so. Modern traffic surveilance cameras automatically detect a wide range of such infractions (seat belt, eating/drinking p.e.) and all needed is a low pay grade button pusher to check the list produced by them; a ´confirm´ and the fine goes out.
    Over here in Spain these cameras are appearing like weeds! as they are highly profitable.
    There's a few very dodgy speed cameras on the 340, and all on hills, it wouldn't surprise me is they were looking at other stuff.

They will ban ALL talking in a car soon!

On a more serious note I can't see how they can enforce this . I think the Police already check your phone after a accident .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    They will ban ALL talking in a car soon!

On a more serious note I can't see how they can enforce this . I think the Police already check your phone after a accident .
    Easy, an inhibiter built into the car to disable all phones or added as a MoT requirement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Easy, an inhibiter built into the car to disable all phones or added as a MoT requirement.
    This is technically possible but (a) unlawful (no use of inhibitors is permitted) and (b) it is impossible to prevent the inhibition barrage from leaking out of the vehicle, causing 15 shades of disaster with all manner of radio systems around the vehicle.

Why add a technical “solution” to peoples’ inability to comply with the law?

Sent from my calculator using a lawnmower.

No passengers, no children, no looking at non motorists, god forbid no smoking.. I don't think it will happen. The car lobbyist if anything else will sort that out.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Mad. Clamping down on bad driving would help prevent so many more accidents than this proposal, I was listening to the debate on 5 live on this subject this morning whilst driving down the A1, the string of 15 cars in lane 2 at 70mph had on average a cars length of a gap between them all.I bet hardly any of them will think they are doing anything wrong. Start using the myriad camera systems in the road and send out warning letters for this. Boils my piss.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Drivers should have to pass more stringent tests, and an IQ test.

Cars should be fitted with iris recognition systems which recognise the driver and then lock or unlock features and engine maps commensurate with the driver's proven capabilities.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    The writing is on the wall for self controlled driving. I see it coming and not too far away.

Given that the peer-reviewed evidence shows that talking on a hands-free phone while driving is comparable to the impairment in driving when just over the drink/drive alcohol level, can I assume that everybody who is against a ban on drivers making hands-free calls would also like to see the drink/drive alcohol level increased?

If not, why not?

(My view is that such a ban is long overdue. Yes, I'd also like to see increased driver testing, better education, etc. But when the evidence shows the dangers inherent in hands-free calls - even though it may appear counter-intuitive to some - then we should take appropriate action).

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    The writing is on the wall for self controlled driving. I see it coming and not too far away.
    Not just driving. The sooner the "sheep" are totally reliant and made incapable of own action or thought, all further legislation will cease. Until then, watch your freedoms slowly disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Drivers should have to pass more stringent tests, and an IQ test.

Cars should be fitted with iris recognition systems which recognise the driver and then lock or unlock features and engine maps commensurate with the driver's proven capabilities.
    Hang on that would be sensible and structured.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Now they are discussing banning hands free calls in cars, its a bandwagon, what about sat-navs and text/email capable infotainment systems, then there are steering wheel controls, gear shifts and pedals, the steering wheel itself, window controls, the competence of the driver, other idiots on the road and last but not least Passengers.

It seems very sensible to me, as it's well-established that having a phone conversation while driving is very distracting. It's not the same as talking to a passenger, because passengers can see what's going on and will tend to shut up if there is danger.

I never take any calls when driving, they can always phone back later.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    It seems very sensible to me, as it's well-established that having a phone conversation while driving is very distracting. It's not the same as talking to a passenger, because passengers can see what's going on and will tend to shut up if there is danger.

I never take any calls when driving, they can always phone back later.
    Really

https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/...istraction.pdf

Yes really.

Cognitive distraction, foot of page three and onto page four of your helpful link.

Yes really.

Cognitive distraction, foot of page three and onto page four of your helpful link.
    But passengers still top the list

Master
    Has anyone noticed that a lot of people have to look at the passenger whilst talking to them? They're unable to talk and look at the road at the same time. REALLY irritates me... tbh you see it in films and the telly a lot as well.

Irrelevant to a discussion about using a mobile phone. Unless you get the passenger to take the call!

I can't find anything in that ROSPA publication about measuring how distracting any of these things are, or how much they contribute to accidents statistically, just how much of it that people are subjected to. Maybe there is something in the quoted papers?

In 1988 my brother and I were in the car with my dad driving. We were discussing the animals on the front of the Sainsbury's own brand cereal knock-offs, specifically their Ricicles rip off. That had a giraffe with a helicopter backpack. The one animal you wouldn't want to give a bloody helicopter backpack, but there he was, giving it a go. Maybe all the other cereal animals picked their things first and the giraffe was last in line, but seriously. Imagine if he forgot he had spinning blades of death about 6" from his horribly craned over neck. Madness. I think it was the desperate hope that it might shut us up that made my dad drive straight into the bushes on the middle of that roundabout, nearly wrecking the car.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    In 1988 my brother and I were in the car with my dad driving. We were discussing the animals on the front of the Sainsbury's own brand cereal knock-offs, specifically their Ricicles rip off. That had a giraffe with a helicopter backpack. The one animal you wouldn't want to give a bloody helicopter backpack, but there he was, giving it a go. Maybe all the other cereal animals picked their things first and the giraffe was last in line, but seriously. Imagine if he forgot he had spinning blades of death about 6" from his horribly craned over neck. Madness. I think it was the desperate hope that it might shut us up that made my dad drive straight into the bushes on the middle of that roundabout, nearly wrecking the car.
    This made me laugh.

Master
    What next they will say you can't have a BJ while driving from the wife/girlfriend/boyfriend...

Master

It's not the same as talking to a passenger, because passengers can see what's going on and will tend to shut up if there is danger.
    And I can tell you that in 15 years of taxi driving/airport transfers that’s not the case at all. A lot of people have taxis because they don’t drive, ergo, they don’t always see any potential danger on the road. The same can be applied to any passenger.
    No end of times I’ve had to ask a passenger to stop talking to me because I’m in an unfamiliar place and need to look at road signs so don’t need the distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    And I can tell you that in 15 years of taxi driving/airport transfers that’s not the case at all. A lot of people have taxis because they don’t drive, ergo, they don’t always see any potential danger on the road. The same can be applied to any passenger.
    No end of times I’ve had to ask a passenger to stop talking to me because I’m in an unfamiliar place and need to look at road signs so don’t need the distraction.
    Fair enough. TBH I prefer a silent taxi driver, but try finding one.

Given that we can't eliminate all distractions, it might be reasonable to try to reduce the ones we can influence via this type of legislation.

Master
    Fair enough. TBH I prefer a silent taxi driver, but try finding one.
    Haha. Swings and roundabouts. I often have customers telling me that there are a number of miserable sods on our fleet who don’t utter a word.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps the police could enforce the law as it stands.

And with many controls such as AC/Heating going to touch screen how can you operate them without being distracted?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Perhaps the police could enforce the law as it stands.

And with many controls such as AC/Heating going to touch screen how can you operate them without being distracted?
    Tesla owners may as well leave their car at home !
    P.S I’m agreeing with you by the way.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Smoking however brings in money....

“Do not disturb while driving” on iPhone is a brilliant, simple, life-saving feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    “Do not disturb while driving” on iPhone is a brilliant, simple, life-saving feature.
    It is very elegant and having moved to Android and the vagaries of a Bixby routine it is much missed. That said calls come through whilst driving with iPhone on but if more people used this there would be less reason to consider further bans etc.

Master
    What is so depressing is that our MPs (in this case the Commons Transport Select Committee) are incapable of/unwilling to look at things "holistically". It's get the blinkers on and obsess about one issue of many.

FWIW I tend to agree that a hands-free call is more distracting than a conversation with a passenger. I also think a thousand and one other acts (smoking/drinking/eating, for example) are a major distraction.

The irony is that, from memory, the last figures I saw showed a big drop in mobile phone use prosecutions under the current law. (Happy to be shown otherwise but, as others have said, you see drivers using mobile phones every time you drive anywhere so there is no deterrent.)

Simple answer: more traffic police who can enforce all motoring offences. Will it happen? Of course not

EDIT: Found this

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8204726.html

"..the number of offenders convicted of “using or causing others to use a handheld mobile phone while driving” fell by nearly half between 2012 and 2016 – from 22,135 to 11,961"
    Last edited by David_D; 13th August 2019 at 12:16.

More speed cameras is the answer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    More speed cameras is the answer.
    To what question though??

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    To what question though??
    To the question nobody asked.

Grand Master
    I don’t use mobile phones often, so not using one whilst driving isn’t a problem for me. However, much as I’m against using hand- held phones whilst driving I don’t see a problem with hands -free provided the user is sensible. Passengers in a car, particularly children, can be more of a distraction in my view. Texting whilst driving is another matter, that’s an act of sheer stupidity.

The move towards touchscreen controls in cars is a problem, it’s nigh-on impossible to use them without taking eyes off the road, albeit momentarily. To me that’s more of a safety issue. Cars are becoming more like mobile phones with a car attached, connectivity/infotainment is now a key selling point, the tail’s wagging the dog. Had this problem when buying wifeys latest car, salesman’s going on about connectivity yada yada yada, I told him I wasn’t interested in any if it apart from the sound quality of the stereo......the guy’s face went blank!

Averting your eyes from the road to use a centrally mounted touchscreen is more difficult for wearers of varifocal glasses, it requires slight movement of the head and in my opinion is a serious distraction, it’s a flaw in the current design philosophy. After 44 years of accident- free motoring I’m a strong believer in keeping your eyes facing forward whilst travelling forward.....it works.

I've got a Bluetooth headset for my motorcycle helmet, but detested taking calls on it as it is distracting. I do think the nature of the call and the driver has a big impact on the amount of attention it directs away from driving, but like most things they need to factor in the lowest common denominator, unfortunately with some people they should never have been given a driving licence in the first place without any distractions.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post
    I've got a Bluetooth headset for my motorcycle helmet, but detested taking calls on it as it is distracting. I do think the nature of the call and the driver has a big impact on the amount of attention it directs away from driving, but like most things they need to factor in the lowest common denominator, unfortunately with some people they should never have been given a driving licence in the first place without any distractions.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Agree. I can handle idle chit chat with my wife on the bike or in the car on the phone but if it was a call with my boss going over something important I couldn't focus that much on two things and something would have to give. Likewise once the traffic builds up and I'm making progress on the bike I hang up, can't have a split focus.

I'm sure there is a level of distraction caused by talking on the phone while driving, even hands free. But other posters here have mentioned the other technology incar which can be far worse. My last car had a large, probably about 8"x6" touch screen in the lower centre of the dash, it was in totally the wrong place, you really had to look to the left and down to see or operate the screen.
    One day I realised I must have travelled a hundred yards at least while scrolling through digital radio stations, switched the screen off after that.
    My car now doesn't have one, but it's still too easy to find oneself scrolling through the trip computer readings on the little screen in front (via the tip of the indicator stalk though, not touchscreen). A few seconds looking at how many miles left in the tank, average mpg, average mph etc and that could be a pedestrian dead. If it all locked to the only settings you actually need to drive safely once on the move, that would be a big safety improvement.

Master
    Some people seem to think hands free driving is a thing. Obviously it's not uncommon but I saw someone this morning maneuvering a corner with a fag in their right hand (forefinger and second finger) while securely (not!) holding the wheel with thumb and fingers four and five. Funny how that's not seen as a problem.

Master
    The biggest problem I see with phones especially when they aren’t mounted is that when there are Road works or congestion and the traffic has slowed down to about 25 mph is that they all grab their phones and start reading texts and Facebook there easy to spot as there heads go down they stop driving in a straight line and wander all over. If the traffic stops there then so busy on there phones they don’t realise the traffic has started moving again. Same with traffic lights. Current legislation should be policed rather than creating now laws.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

according to this not even in the top ten causes of accidents

https://www.regtransfers.co.uk/conte...ts-in-britain/

And if you accept these figures, accidents haven't increased as mobile phone use has risen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Report..._Great_Britain
    Last edited by adrianw; 13th August 2019 at 15:03.

Master
    Surely it must be technically possibly for car makers to ensure that telephone signals are blocked inside a car when the ignition is switched on.

Bring back the horse and cart!

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Bring back the horse and cart!
    I nearly crashed reading that
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Surely it must be technically possibly for car makers to ensure that telephone signals are blocked inside a car when the ignition is switched on.
    Yes, a leaky feeder, I am sure shops and restaurants use them, but they are illegal, or used to be

It's summer, and there are other distractions taking drivers eyes away from the road...
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.