closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Not every day your local dealer has a Comex in the cabinet!

Not every day your local dealer has a Comex in the cabinet!

Not much to say... except this:

Suffice to say, I can't afford it but it was nice to actually see one of these for myself. Currently for sale in "Pride & Pinion", Belfast.

Wow, totally awesome looking, wonder how much he wants for it ..... has to be £65k plus I’d say .......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I deliberately didn't mention that! It's on their website for 800k

I assume that's a typo and it's meant to be 80k.... But a few local conspiracy theorists think it's been put on at 800k to draw attention/publicity.

Does any prefer these to the non-comex verisons?

I think the addition of the Comex logo on the dial spoils what is an attractive watch. I get the Comex collaboration, development and rarity of these watches attracts a huge mark-up over the regular SeaDweller but I much prefer the cheaper and more modern Submariner on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

I think the addition of the Comex logo on the dial spoils what is an attractive watch. I get the Comex collaboration, development and rarity of these watches attracts a huge mark-up over the regular SeaDweller but I much prefer the cheaper and more modern Submariner on the right.
    Many years ago a good friend of mine was offered, as a present from his dad, a straight choice between a bog-standard 16610, or one which had the COMEX logo, both new.

Guess which he chose, and boy does he regret it!

Yes, the COMEX logo is pretty hideous, but when did money buy taste?

I suggest the Comex's appeal is in its collector and (I'd wager pretty solid) investment status.
    Visually, the non works rather better, but I understand the Comex appeal.

If I walked past and seen that in the window my face print would be all over the glass!

I was lucky to hold a weathered 1665 Comex from Mike Wood while purchasing my Sub, regardless of price it did look very special indeed and I would love one..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    If I walked past and seen that in the window my face print would be all over the glass!

I was lucky to hold a weathered 1665 Comex from Mike Wood while purchasing my Sub, regardless of price it did look very special indeed and I would love one..
    Without a doubt, if I'd wanted to try it on, I could have. Their stock is brilliant and the owner is quite a character.

They had a £1m+ Patek last week. All on their Instagram feed below.

Link:
    https://instagram.com/prideandpinion...=10npg5iq9ca84

Master

I’ve got to say that I wholeheartedly agree. I love the Comex history and story but imo it just looks a bit crap on the dial… *puts tin hat on*

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm quite a fan of the Comex branding on the dial. Makes a little different to the norm.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    I’ve got to say that I wholeheartedly agree. I love the Comex history and story but imo it just looks a bit crap on the dial… *puts tin hat on*

+1 totally agree
    £80 k ? No chance it’s worth that unless you have too much money to care ?
    I’d buy the Sub on the right and enjoy the change from £80 k
    But what a sight to see !

Master
    Must fly by and try it on. Just for the experience......

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Thought WF were expensive?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Its not that expensive for a Comex.

I went on a Comex Expedition once 😂 does that qualify me for one?

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Didn’t WF have two recently, one for £125k and one for £195k?

Edit: they’ve still got the one at £195k

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...85/item/121766
    Last edited by Dave+63; 12th August 2019 at 18:07.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Didn’t WF have two recently, one for £125k and one for £195k?

Edit: they’ve still got the one at £195k

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...85/item/121766
    And they've kindly photographed the case back engraving for all the forgers out there 🙄

Actually the biggest surprise is 3 Rolex sport in the window, why are they not sold? is the bubble bursting #RolexPanic

Journeyman
    So why does it cost 80k

Is it different in specs from the bog standard divers from Rolex? How is it different?

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Actually the biggest surprise is 3 Rolex sport in the window, why are they not sold? is the bubble bursting #RolexPanic
    He has EVERY sports model in that cabinet. Sub ND, date, sea dwellers.. 2 DSSD's. I lost count. Its not an AD though... an independent. Enquired about a Milgauss that was in stock - new with tags and £7,800! You can get what you want if you'll pay the premium. I've been told I'd have to wait 18 months for a GV Milgauss in my AD but I was left cold with their "you're not worthy" stance.

Daytona for £471k ? EEK!!! https://prideandpinion.com/collections/watches/products/vintage-rolex-daytona-14k

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xelor View Post
    So why does it cost 80k

Is it different in specs from the bog standard divers from Rolex? How is it different?
    The logo and the engraved back. That's all (as far as I know).
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 12th August 2019 at 18:58.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    And they've kindly photographed the case back engraving for all the forgers out there 
    I think the forgers can use google.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ro...&bih=666&dpr=2

Master
    Blog Entries
    So why does it cost 80k

If somebody is prepared to pay 80k then it's worth 80k. At least.

So why does it cost ££k

Is it different in specs from the bog standard watch from Rolex? How is it different?
    I have adjusted your question, this is now applicable to so many different watches with so many different answers.

I don't really think that version could be called 'branding', given the collaboration that produced the model.

It makes a lot more sense historically than the "red" and "double red" models.

I'd love one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    No tin hat needed
    Very industrial looking to me but I don't think it was designed with aesthetics in mind.
    Big fan of vintage Rolex but the Comex branding makes the dial really messy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    If somebody is prepared to pay 80k then it's worth 80k. At least.
    It's worth $2500 to me. Which brings the average down somewhat

Liking or not liking is a personal preference but those who are questioning the price it fetches are missing the essential point of collecting. It may not matter to you but it matters to some. If only one person is prepared to pay 80,000 for it, then that is the price. I am not sure why people get so bent out of shape or get bothered that relatively rare articles of interest fetch high prices.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    And they've kindly photographed the case back engraving for all the forgers out there 🙄
    Given the amount of scrutiny such a watch attracts I doubt any forgers would expect to get away with it. Although there are bound to be some confident enough to give it a go I suppose. They could probably fool the average fan, who thinks he’s found the bargain of a lifetime somewhere for a few thousand. Probably not the people he would then want to sell it to for 80k.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Having had one on my wrist I can say that, in my opinion, the COMEX element works really well. I always thought the dial looked overcrowded in photos but in the metal it really works. As for value? It’s got historical value and is a very, very limited run. I’d say if you’ve got the money then go for it. You only live once.

Master
    If they want 80 let alone 800k they could have made sure the bezel was straight...

Master
    Funny how collectors go nuts. You could pick these up in Aberdeen back in the late 80's/early 90's for £3-400 from the sat divers.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Funny how collectors go nuts. You could pick these up in Aberdeen back in the late 80's/early 90's for £3-400 from the sat divers.
    To be fair think of what you could pick up a flat in London for in the early 90's too...

Master
    Blog Entries
    It looks awful and with today’s kid speech could be taken to mean comic.
    Yet again with Rolex it comes down to money as the overriding fator.

That’s the thing about collecting.
    Can Gogh only sold one painting while he was alive and that too for 400 francs.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Without a doubt, if I'd wanted to try it on, I could have. Their stock is brilliant and the owner is quite a character.
    Fantastic to see these in person. Have you ever had any dealings with the owner of Pride and Pinion? Quite the character indeed! Very knowledgable.

Master

I tend to agree

Quote Originally Posted by Willows View Post
    Fantastic to see these in person. Have you ever had any dealings with the owner of Pride and Pinion? Quite the character indeed! Very knowledgable.
    We've just had a DM chat on Instagram. He's over in the US at present.

Livestream should be at 9pm tonight on Instagram!! Basically the lads all get pi**ed and talk crap whilst discussing watches. I generally sit with the headphones on... laughing for an hour!

Weekly smashing of a Hublot outside the shop is always a fun part of it (its a fake... but they reckon the fake Hublots are better than a real one anyway!)

A valuable, very collectible watch but don’t see how this makes it ‘awesome looking’ etc.

Only such because people know it’s valuable.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    We've just had a DM chat on Instagram. He's over in the US at present.

Livestream should be at 9pm tonight on Instagram!! Basically the lads all get pi**ed and talk crap whilst discussing watches. I generally sit with the headphones on... laughing for an hour!

Weekly smashing of a Hublot outside the shop is always a fun part of it (its a fake... but they reckon the fake Hublots are better than a real one anyway!)

Madness! must listen in some time!

I think some people might be missing the point

I accept some might not like the logo, some might not like the price, but no one cannot ignore the history and rarity.

For those who are unaware of Comex, it's history and contribution I suggest you look it up, notwithstanding Comex worked with Rolex to help develop and test the HEV in the first place.

In respect to rarity, these watches were special order from Rolex and only given to employees after 5 year of service (?). I was told that the non-date version were given to office based staff, Sub-dates to people working on site and Scuba divers and the Seadwellers were only given to Saturation Divers - hence the rarest of them all. About 700-800 Comex SD's were made. This 16600 is one of a batch of 200 made for Comex. The last batch delivered to Comex.

These watches are not like the other watches like the Omega Speedmaster, Daytona, etc, which could be bought by any punter - a Comex Sub/Seadweller could not be bought new off the shelf. Nor can they really be compared with Mil Spec watches, (issued for operations and then typically handed back to stores to be re-issued at a later date). These watches were numbered and presented to an individual, hence each one is unique and will have traceable history back to the original owner. Really high value Comex watches typically come complete with the owners dive logs (which can be considerable).

Personally I would love to own a bit of history.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very informative Andyg.

Yep, Aberdeen is where my friend came from - the guy who passed up a new COMEX 16610.

I get the history, but aethetically they are a bit pants. A DRSD looks way better, to my eyes at least.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I think some people might be missing the point

I accept some might not like the logo, some might not like the price, but no one cannot ignore the history and rarity.

For those who are unaware of Comex, it's history and contribution I suggest you look it up, notwithstanding Comex worked with Rolex to help develop and test the HEV in the first place.

In respect to rarity, these watches were special order from Rolex and only given to employees after 5 year of service (?). I was told that the non-date version were given to office based staff, Sub-dates to people working on site and Scuba divers and the Seadwellers were only given to Saturation Divers - hence the rarest of them all. About 700-800 Comex SD's were made. This 16600 is one of a batch of 200 made for Comex. The last batch delivered to Comex.

These watches are not like the other watches like the Omega Speedmaster, Daytona, etc, which could be bought by any punter - a Comex Sub/Seadweller could not be bought new off the shelf. Nor can they really be compared with Mil Spec watches, (issued for operations and then typically handed back to stores to be re-issued at a later date). These watches were numbered and presented to an individual, hence each one is unique and will have traceable history back to the original owner. Really high value Comex watches typically come complete with the owners dive logs (which can be considerable).

Personally I would love to own a bit of history.
    As a newbie that a great read, Thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

For those who are unaware of Comex, it's history and contribution I suggest you look it up, notwithstanding Comex worked with Rolex to help develop and test the HEV in the first place....
    Thanks for that - v interesting.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    To add to Andy's great post:

There were also a small runs in 2004 and 2008. Believed to be around 10 subs and three or four SD's in each order.

Of course in terms of rarity and desirability it's the same with the Domino's Pizza Air Kings.

Rolex worked with Domino's in developing and testing the pineapple topping. True story.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Of course in terms of rarity and desirability it's the same with the Domino's Pizza Air Kings.

Rolex worked with Domino's in developing and testing the pineapple topping. True story.
    I believe it. I won't have been an actual chef that put fruit on a pizza.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post

Unless the Italians where very angry at this it probably wasn’t as dangerous as diving

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Very informative Andyg.
    As ever.

Re : Rolex worked with Domino's in developing and testing the pineapple topping

Good for Rolex:-)
    Personally think that any toppings other than Pineapple,Jalapeños, onions and tomatoes should be illegal:-)
    No olives, mushrooms or meat of any kind.