closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contemplating a YG day date, appreciate opinions from current or former owners

Master

Contemplating a YG day date, appreciate opinions from current or former owners

Hi folks,

currently i have a GMT2C, Hulk, DJ41 (blue dial jubilee fluted bezel) and an IWC portuguese. Will be 40 next year and giving consideration to adding a 36mm YG daydate.

First off im 6ft 1 with a 7.25" wrist, will it be ok size wise? (will go in and try one on soon as i am near an AD), also i have typical irish colouring so maybe YG isnt the best?

We got my mrs a lady datejust with president bracelet and i get a pang of envy every time i see it, hence my interest.

Lastly is the 118238 worth it over a 18238 or 18038?

thanks all

I have some similar watches to you including the GMTc, Hulk and SDc

I had, but sold on, the 7 day auto from IWC.

I’m smaller than you but was very taken by a white gold DD blue dial with blue strap that I got off TZ. As much as I loved it the 36mm was too dainty and I sold it on.

I appreciate a 36mm on the bracelet will wear a bit differently to the leather version I had. But I think the 40mm DD will suit you better

As to the colour, I’m fair skinned and any yellow or rose gold looks rubbish on me !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Some pics as writing the above post made me want to have a look at how lovely it was !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

Some pics as writing the above post made me want to have a look at how lovely it was !

that is nice

but very similar to my blue dialled DJ41 with fluted bezel!

i suspect you may be right re the 36mm DD

Master

Contemplating a YG day date, appreciate opinions from current or former owners

I assume from your comments that you have pale toned skin. That doesn’t always work well with yellow/everose bracelets. They seem to combine best with darker/tanned skin.
    Also, consider the 40mm versions, which will obviously cost more, but are rather striking. Finally, have you ever considered white gold....the stealth version of the DayDate?

These later versions feature the new movement and the bracelet has ceramic inserts to prevent sloppiness as they age.
    They do resemble DateJusts, which is hardly surprising....
    Last edited by paskinner; 12th August 2019 at 17:46.

Master
    I have the White Gold DD 41mm and it is absolutely stunning and the bracelet is a work of art. To me it is perfect without being too shouty but when the light hits it it’s just WOW and I am a vintage Rolex sport lover. Definitely at least give a WG a try.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    have you ever considered white gold....the stealth version of the DayDate?
    Not sure if any day date can be stealth.. 24 grand minimum starting price..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Not sure if any day date can be stealth.. 24 grand minimum starting price..
    That’s the point - it looks like steel, but is white gold...stealth

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    That’s the point - it looks like steel, but is white gold...stealth
    And how much is a steel Rolex nowadays?

Can we agree that it's comparative stealth? Looks like a car deposit, not a house deposit etc

Master
    Well the DJ41 that I picked up from here (which is what we are comparing to) was around £5.5k
    Last edited by mtagrant; 12th August 2019 at 23:03.

Grand Master
    I like the Day Date in yellow gold, I wouldn’t buy one for a couple of good reasons but it’s a watch I like. However, I don’t understand this perception that skin tone/type has any influence on how the watch looks on the owner, to my eyes the only thing that makes a difference is size and if the watch is too big it’ll look silly. I have fair skin but I wear gold watches (yellow and rose) and I can’t see any issue with skin tone.

Day Dates can be excellent value if bought second hand.......and chosen carefully. Yellow gold with silver or black dial would be my choice.....but I won’t be buying one because I’d never wear it.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 12th August 2019 at 21:12.

Master
    36mm would work but given your size, and if you have the funds, I would go DD40 as it will simply look a lot better on you.
    As regards colour, YG did not work for me (pale skinned and cool tones) but RG and WG both work.
    Definitely try it on and see for colour.
    Last edited by JP28; 12th August 2019 at 20:12.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've got a collection similar you yours, 40mm plus stuff.
    I've also got a YG Day-Date. My wrist is slightly larger and yet, I think it wears very well. Certainly doesn't feel too small.
    A nice classic watch that I'm sure you'll enjoy wearing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I like the Day Date in yellow gold, I wouldn’t buy one for a couple of good reasons but it’s a watch I like. However, I don’t understand this perception that skin tone/type has any influence on how the watch looks on the owner, to my eyes the only thing that makes a difference is size and if the watch is too big it’ll look silly. I have fair skin but I wear gold watches (yellow and rose) and I can’t see any issue with skin tone.

Day Dates can be excellent value if bought second hand.......and chosen carefully. Yellow gold with silver or black dial would be my choice.....but I won’t be buying one because I’d never wear it.
    Have a google. Plenty of articles explaining what looks better on what type of skin and why. It is just about what should look better, which is a bit of a different point to what you decide to buy/wear.
    However at this price level, if you have no distinct preference having something ‘work’ better is probably a good thing.

Master
    My wife wears a 31mm Datejust and I wear SS Rolex all the time.

I would strongly advise against buying a YG Day Date because to be brutally frank, they look like the sort of watch that an up and coming pimp would wear. The main problem is that a Gold bezel and a chunky gold bracelet just looks OTT. You are going to spend a lot of money to make yourself look cheap.

I spend 6 months a year out in Spain and I must see a YG DJ or DD on a sun tanned wrist of some old expat at least twice a week and it is always painful to look at. They just look plain tacky.

Either buy yourself a WG model or better still, a YG Patek with a leather strap. The DJ looks trash, the PP looks dignified and understated. PPs were created to look classy whereas the DD isn't.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Edit: I won`t be buying one because Mick would think I`m a pimp

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

Either buy yourself a WG model or better still, a YG Patek with a leather strap. The DJ looks trash, the PP looks dignified and understated. PPs were created to look classy whereas the DD isn't.
    Mick, sometimes you want fillet steak, sometimes you want a dirty kebab. Don't write off the absolute joy of wearing a yellow gold 'tacky' rolex whilst tending to the BBQ in shorts and a T-shirt.

I love mine.

Master
    I wouldn’t dare wear a yellow gold DD,because it does carry a lot of ‘baggage.’ But my dentist wears one, twenty years old, and somehow it looks really great.
    And it distracts me from what he’s doing to my teeth.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn’t dare wear a yellow gold DD,because it does carry a lot of ‘baggage.’ But my dentist wears one, twenty years old, and somehow it looks really great.
    And it distracts me from what he’s doing to my teeth.
    I thought it takes about 6 years to qualify as a dentist. He's an early starter!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I thought it takes about 6 years to qualify as a dentist. He's an early starter!
    Something certainly doesn't add up!

Master
    The joys of the ever flexible English language. For me ‘my dentist wears one, twenty years old..’ works fine.
    ‘My dentist, twenty years old, wears one ‘ wouldn’t .
    But, fair enough, he might be a child-genius dentist. However, ask yourself, would any 20-year-old wear a DayDate? I mean, really....
    Last edited by paskinner; 12th August 2019 at 23:55.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The joys of the ever flexible English language. For me ‘my dentist wears one, twenty years old..’ works fine.
    But, fair enough, he might be a child-genius dentist. However, ask yourself, would any 20-year-old wear a DayDate? I mean, really....
    You don't watch MTV do you Mick?

- - - Updated - - -

But also: glad you don't have some sort of child dentist.

Oh I see! I thought you were trying to emphasise that a DD looks good on someone who is 20, and by implication looks good on anyone of any age, given you yourself also wear one.

And wearing a DD certainly is a thing among (some) of that age, no doubt.

That looks great. I think the perfect proportions of the 36mm have been lost in the larger versions.

I had a 36mm YG day date and loved it but over time convinced myself it was too small so I sold it and instantly regretted it.

I wanted another gold watch replaced it with a PP 5164R which was a beauty but wasn’t gold enough on the rubber strap so I sold it and bought the full rose gold GMT CHNR. I am really happy with the GMT it is stunning however I still have a huge desire to own a YG day date again as there is something special about them.

I live in China where there are lots of older Chinese businessmen wearing them and to be honest the image is pretty bad here but as Dave said earlier there is huge joy to be had from wearing a “tacky” rolex with shorts and a t shirt!

I am on the look out for another 36mm with a black dial!!

Blog Entries
    I think the bigger size will look just fine and the yellow gold one will be stunning. Although probably not with the black dial. Champagne or silver dial probably yes.
    I normally wear 39-42mm watches and can’t see the attraction for 36mm or smaller, except my smaller vintage watches.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Biased opinion but whatever flavour of metal 40mm is the way to go on the day date.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    Biased opinion but whatever flavour of metal 40mm is the way to go on the day date.
    Yes indeed. A 36mm DD is loud but a 40mm DD is even louder and more vulgar.

Someone needs to accept the truth that women can wear chunky gold and get away with it. Men, unfortunately, cannot and that is why if you should do the decent thing and look for a Patek.

Some people can carry it off, whilst others can't.
    Some people don't give a damn if some people think they can carry it off, whilst others think they can't.

Wear what you like.

Master
    I am slightly puzzled at the strength of opinion; the white gold DD40, which I often wear, is visually almost identical to a modern DateJust. So is the argument that a DJ is somehow vulgar or ostentatious? Because if so, what about every single Rolex sports watch ? Indeed, most modern watches.
    Why wear a watch that resembles a DJ but costs a great deal more? Because I enjoy it. Simple as that. No ‘luxury’ watch can be described as ‘making sense.’
    Last edited by paskinner; 13th August 2019 at 10:40.

Master
    I am slightly puzzled at the strength of opinion; the white gold DD40, which I often wear, is visually almost identical to a modern DateJust. So is the argument that a DJ is somehow vulgar or ostentatious? Because if so, what about every single Rolex sports watch ? Indeed, most modern watches.
    Why wear a watch that resembles a DJ but costs a great deal more? Because I enjoy it. Simple as that. No ‘luxury’ watch can be described as ‘making sense.’
    I personally am not interested what other people think, I occasionally wear a WG DD because of the feel due to the heft of the gold, you won’t get that with a DJ whether they look similar or not.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    You don't watch MTV do you Mick?

- - - Updated - - -

But also: glad you don't have some sort of child dentist.
    I did once. I went to the Brisbane Dental School to get a filling done for free - I was a young dental student's very first patient. I don't remember what watch he was wearing but can vividly recall the multiple beads of sweat on his brow as his trembling hands edged their way towards my tooth. Never again!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

They just look plain tacky.
    ZERO
    F***S
    GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    ZERO
    F***S
    GIVEN
    I'm with Mick, pure tacky. How dare you have that as your gold duo when the Gold G Shock B5000 exists?

That day date is lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'm with Mick, pure tacky. How dare you have that as your gold duo when the Gold G Shock B5000 exists?

The B5000 costs way too much, which decreases the tacky intent of my post. I wanted tackiness extreme. One costs £28 and the other £28,000

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That day date is lovely.
    Thank you.

Journeyman
    My wife wears a 31mm Datejust and I wear SS Rolex all the time.

I would strongly advise against buying a YG Day Date because to be brutally frank, they look like the sort of watch that an up and coming pimp would wear. The main problem is that a Gold bezel and a chunky gold bracelet just looks OTT. You are going to spend a lot of money to make yourself look cheap.

I spend 6 months a year out in Spain and I must see a YG DJ or DD on a sun tanned wrist of some old expat at least twice a week and it is always painful to look at. They just look plain tacky.

I bought a DJ41 two tone this year. Opinions like the above held me off buying it for around 6 months worried about what others think. I bought it and love it. Everyone needs a little bling in their life. On a summers day it just looks fab. Buy what you want who cares what others think. I would not have pulled it off at 30 but at 45 looks right. It gets way more looks than any other watch I own and yep probably half the people think like the above and half think it looks great. Buy and wear what you like you are not buying a watch for casual onlookers!

If you think you can carry it off, go for it. It is YG and blingy but that’s ok.
    Dont mind Mick. I doubt if his views are meant for serious consumption.

Craftsman
    I have some similar watches to you including the GMTc, Hulk and SDc

I had, but sold on, the 7 day auto from IWC.

I’m smaller than you but was very taken by a white gold DD blue dial with blue strap that I got off TZ. As much as I loved it the 36mm was too dainty and I sold it on.

I appreciate a 36mm on the bracelet will wear a bit differently to the leather version I had. But I think the 40mm DD will suit you better

As to the colour, I’m fair skinned and any yellow or rose gold looks rubbish on me !

With that collection you can afford a suntan , greeting from Kerry .

Craftsman
    Kerry where it is the annual August monsoon season , the above remark was meant for the OP , can’t edit on a phone cheers .!

Craftsman
    My brother is 24 stone and the yg day date looks great on him . He bought it in Singapore airport and needed extra links which after an incident involving drink and indignation he got for free , no discount though.

Craftsman
    I added one to my collection because to me it is the Classic Rolex. Bought 5 years ago it was £7.5k full set, the values used to track the price of gold but now any Rolex seems to be on the up.
    It’s a personal thing and if you like it then get one, not too large by modern standards and I have a small wrist, doesn’t look too blingy.
    It will spend a while in the safe between outings so get a 18238 which is quickset for both day and date otherwise it will take a while to set every time.

Last edited by redkite; 15th August 2019 at 00:53.

The YG Day-Date also works very well on a leather strap. It reduces the pump factor significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by redkite View Post
    I added one to my collection because to me it is the Classic Rolex. Bought 5 years ago it was £7.5k full set, the values used to track the price of gold but now any Rolex seems to be on the up.
    It’s a personal thing and if you like it then get one, not too large by modern standards and I have a small wrist, doesn’t look too blingy.
    It will spend a while in the safe between outings so get a 18238 which is quickset for both day and date otherwise it will take a while to set every time.

That looks cracking.

Did it come with the gold Oyster bracelet? I assumed they were always on the President bracelets.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the assertion that gold Rolex is tacky is an absolute nonsense.
    If you put a gold Rolex on a well dressed man, its gorgeous.
    If you put it on Madge from Benidorm, its going to look tacky.

They tend to blend with their environment.

"Tacky" is wrong, they are blingy, and especially so with the fluted bezel. Same for the DJ.

A bit of bling's OK, now and then.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I was responding to the accusation that they were tacky.

Master
    As usual, it depends on who’s wearing it. Some people can pull it off, some can’t. Works best on well tanned or dark skin, in a warm, sunny, country.

As usual, it depends on who’s wearing it. Some people can pull it off, some can’t. Works best on well tanned or dark skin, in a warm, sunny, country.
    Yep. In short if you're going to wear it with a tracksuit in Essex it might not be the one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I was responding to the accusation that they were tacky.
    Yes, and I was agreeing with you.

I don't quite have the chutzpah to wear the sparkly bezel as well as the PCLs, but it looks nice.