closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai authenticity check

Panerai authenticity check

Hi. Just wondered if anyone can give an opinion as to the authenticity of this ?

Thx in anticipation.

Unless it comes boxed with paperwork and from a reputable source -I’d say fake

Quote Originally Posted by speedypro1111 View Post
    Unless it comes boxed with paperwork and from a reputable source -I’d say fake
    Say what? Are you basing authenticity purely on a box/papers and where it's being sold?

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Say what? Are you basing authenticity purely on a box/papers and where it's being sold?
    Yes definitely....
    It is one of the so-called superfake watches and movements
    Very hard to tell the difference

Yes definitely....
    It is one of the so-called superfake watches and movements
    Very hard to tell the difference
    So you're saying it IS a fake? How can you tell?

Infact a year or 2 ago even a reputable “if you could call it that”? American watch boutique dealer who sells on eBay had a fake for sale for genuine money
    Personally I’d only buy a panerai from an official dealer ,But that’s me

I’m not saying it is a fake and the pics aren’t clear enough to be honest
    But from memory the screw to the timing adjustment is one of the tells and another is the winding crown is slightly thicker or thinner
    Can’t remember which way and they’ve probably even fixed that nowadays so even harder to tell

Infact a year or 2 ago even a reputable “if you could call it that”? American watch boutique dealer who sells on eBay had a fake for sale for genuine money
    Personally I’d only buy a panerai from an official dealer ,But that’s me
    That is quite different from saying with confidence that it is a fake. If you have any genuine insight into the authenticity or lack of it, please do share. Without that, it is just loose talk.I do agree that superfakes have made it difficult but that is not what OP asked for.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 27th October 2019 at 14:55.

Blog Entries
    The man just gave his opinion.

What do you think it is?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    The man just gave his opinion.

What do you think it is?
    I have no idea - I'm not a Panerai expert. I'm just bemused by someone basing their opinion on whether a watch is fake or not purely on where it is being sold.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    That is quite different from saying with confidence that it is a fake. If you have any genuine insight into the authenticity or lack of it, please do share. I do agree that superfakes have made it difficult but that is not what OP asked for.
    I’m no authority on the subject also the pic is no way clear enough also
    I’m just saying buyer beware -if it seems too good a price to be true it definitely is no two ways about it
    It’s only my opinion I’m afraid and my opinion is be very careful....

Blog Entries
    I have no idea - I'm not a Panerai expert. I'm just bemused by someone basing their opinion on whether a watch is fake or not purely on where it is being sold.
    He actually said "Unless it comes boxed with paperwork and from a reputable source -I’d say fake" which is a little different, but I see the point you're making.

In his favour though, I would say you wouldn't see many kosher ones without any papers or a box. Although having them is no guarantee either.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Googling panerai and that serial number gives just one result - the advert for this watch

Here is a 100% fake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is a fake that’s being talked about on paneristi bought on Chrono24,the buyer got his money back due to him buying through them

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    He actually said "Unless it comes boxed with paperwork and from a reputable source -I’d say fake" which is a little different, but I see the point you're making.
    I thought he was extremely clear in what he was saying but hey ho.

Yes definitely.... It is one of the so-called superfake watches and movements. Very hard to tell the difference

I’m no authority on the subject also the pic is no way clear enough also
    I’m just saying buyer beware -if it seems too good a price to be true it definitely is no two ways about it
    It’s only my opinion I’m afraid and my opinion is be very careful....
    That is quite reasonable. Can’t disagree.

I thought he was extremely clear in what he was saying but hey ho.
    I am ..and I stand by everything I’ve just said
    You need to be very very careful

Is the concensus probable fake in this case then ? Based on no card/ papers ?

Without definitive proof that it is real... one has to assume that it is a fake. This is the current position with these non-inhouse Panerai. Even Panerai has given given up trying to authenticate them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Without definitive proof that it is real... one has to assume that it is a fake. This is the current position with these non-inhouse Panerai.
    Quite. Despite being only peripherally interested in Panerai watches, I have come to realise that any Panerai like this needs to be treated as "fake until explicitly proven real".

Even Panerai has given given up trying to authenticate them.
    Good grief.

Journeyman
    Panerai do authenticate but you have to send the watch in for service

If you want to be sure, ask people on fake watches dedicated forums, they know best,

Surely if anyone is in the business of making 'high quality' fakes they would also reproduce the box and papers in order to add authenticity?
    As such, I would not place reliance on the existence of peripheral items to authenticate anything, whether a Panerai watch or a Dinky toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post

As such, I would not place reliance on the existence of peripheral items to authenticate anything, whether a Panerai watch or a Dinky toy.
    You would need to know the source of the watch. Buy the seller like never before.

Without definitive proof that it is real... one has to assume that it is a fake. This is the current position with these non-inhouse Panerai. Even Panerai has given given up trying to authenticate them.
    If that is the case, is there any point in buying a genuine one, seems to me that the fakes are as good as the originals. Not trying to offend anyone but if the manufacturer struggles to identify the original one whats the point in paying for a real one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    If that is the case, is there any point in buying a genuine one, seems to me that the fakes are as good as the originals. Not trying to offend anyone but if the manufacturer struggles to identify the original one whats the point in paying for a real one.
    Steve, I think it's more about the fact that a given brand is genuine more than it's quality compared to it's counterfeit.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    Steve, I think it's more about the fact that a given brand is genuine more than it's quality compared to it's counterfeit.

Thanks, understand and was not trying to be clever, I find it strange that a faker can make a watch of the quality of the top end watch, why not make a quality time piece of their own?. These people must be capable of making a stunning piece under their own name.

Master
    Thanks, understand and was not trying to be clever, I find it strange that a faker can make a watch of the quality of the top end watch, why not make a quality time piece of their own?. These people must be capable of making a stunning piece under their own name.
    I suppose there is more profit making fakes and passing them off as the real deal, rather than setting up a micro brand if your that kind of person.

But I agree, it does seem a waste, but having said that the micro brand industry is quite competitive, unless you meant inventing a modern more expensive brand like say Bremont?

The Serial number checks out with Panerai against this model.

Even Panerai has given given up trying to authenticate them.
    Where have you heard this?

I owned that exact model about 10 years ago and at a glance it looks fine to me - but I know these are heavily (and very accurately) faked now, so I’d be careful. Paid £1250 for mine brand new from Wempe in Bond Steet, I imagine they’re a bit more now?!

Personally I avoid used Panerai without box and papers. For me it is a matter of peace of mind and resale. It used to be easy to tell with the pocketwatch movements because the adjuster screw didn't touch the regulator on the swan neck but from the pictures on this thread I could not tell you if it was real or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post

Hi Mick,

This is the one that sparked my interest. Heart says yes, head, 'I don't know'
    let me know if you have further insight.

The key is in the 'name'.

What name are they going to use?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    What name are they going to use?
    Pandaeye, presumably.

P.S. I was about go and register the domain for that but it's already taken. Grr...

Master
    Although the picture could be sharper, it does prima facie appear that the larger of the two cogs is misaligned and the teeth have been grinding against the bridge plate.Not a good omen.

Quote Originally Posted by escyman View Post
    Although the picture could be sharper, it does prima facie appear that the larger of the two cogs is misaligned and the teeth have been grinding against the bridge plate.Not a good omen.
    Thanks for looking however what looks like 'grinding' on the bridge plate is just a light reflection on the photgraph. There is no signs of grinding from what I see in the flesh.