closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Explorer II hour hand click spring

Craftsman

Explorer II hour hand click spring

Hi there, I was surprised to find that while setting my 2013 216570 the other day that the hour hand didn't jump from hour to hour as it usually does, but moved smoothly. The hour hand also does not line up correctly with the position on the minute hand. I've read that this is classic "hour hand click spring" failure, and is a relatively common issue with the 3187 movement (and other Rolex GMT/24hr watches). Apparently an upgraded spring was introduced some time ago, and RSC fit one during service. I've also heard that RSC sometimes perform this work free of charge if they deem the movement does not require a service, otherwise they'll charge the usual service cost.

I guess 6 years of semi-regular use before the old style spring gave out is okay-ish and I'm probably due a service anyway, but with the watch performing seemingly fine up to that point, it was a surprise.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had experience of RSC in similar circumstances, did your out-of-warranty watch get fixed FOC, and is the new upgraded spring any better than the older one?

Can't hurt to pick the phone up and explore... (sorry)

Master
    Mine is in for a service with Rolex for the very same reason. Unless it's still under guarantee from it's last service I would imagine you'll be paying the princely sum of £585!

Craftsman
    Had the very same issue with my 16570 Explorer II, 3186 movement.

Watch was out of its 2 warranty period.
    Took it to St James & to my surprise RSC fixed it FOC.

This was several years ago.