closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Incoming: SBDX001 Seiko MM300

Incoming: SBDX001 Seiko MM300

So, after wanting this watch for a while, and missing out on a couple in quick succession on SC, one popped up from j111dja, a big thanks to him.

I decided to go for it, even though I shouldn't really have, but I'll shift a few other priorities to cover that.

Had it delivered to my brother in the UK, and my sister decided to pop over for a weekend so had her bring it over to me.

So, initial impressions;
    It's a big watch, quite tall, and definitely doesn't fit under shirt cuffs (as I found out this morning).
    Quite heavy, not so different from my Tune MM, but carries the weight well, especially on the waffle strap it came on (Tuna is the SBBN031)
    Timekeeping seems pretty good, wore it all day Sat, +1.2, so pleased with that.
    For it's age, it's held up surprisingly well, with little to no marks on it.
    The bezel turns smoothly (almost smoother than the Tuna)
    It's a really pretty watch.
    Viewing angles with a flatter crystal than the Tuna.

As I said, I've wanted one for a while now, and couldn't be more pleased with it.

Master
    It's a watch that, for me, always felt a little special when I wore it and it is very nicely finished. I only sold mine because I struggled to wear it with anything other than short sleeves as it is a tall one. Enjoy.

Short of GS divers, by far the best watch that Seiko makes IMO in any of its iterations.
    Enjoy it.

It's an odd watch in WIS circles, because everyone that's ever had one has raved about it, yet they're flipped like billy-oh (I plead guilty on both counts).

There is something magical about the SBDX001, at least to me. Rationally it’s big and heavy but it always makes me happy to wear it.

I feel like taking a trip in a time machine to a time a few decades ago and buying a brand new watch from that era.

It doesn’t compromise to fit under an office shirt and yes my Pelagos has a better clasp but man do I love this one.

The execution is just stunning with the shiny bezel, excellent hands and beautiful case. I also like how the case meets the bracelet.

Functionally it has drilled lugs, hardlex and a clasp that can be adjusted on the wrist.

A lot to love. Enjoy yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear you eventually purchased one . Its a stunning watch , and one I would dearly love to own one day .

Love mine, wears chunky but the depth of dial, handset, bezel and polished surfaces work really well together.

I like it on the rubber but also works on well on leather.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    It's an odd watch in WIS circles, because everyone that's ever had one has raved about it, yet they're flipped like billy-oh (I plead guilty on both counts).
    Yep - guilty on both counts here as well.

It was a watch which always made me smile when I wore it - but for some reason I let it go ...

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Yes my Pelagos has a better clasp but man do I love this one.
    It took other manufacturers a looooooong time to catch up with Seiko's wonderfully over-engineered clasp on the MM300. It absolutely shamed the tuppence-ha'penny clasps on the Sub and the SMP at the time.

I love mine. It’s one of my favourite watches and I can’t see me flipping it ever.
    It’s just the right size for my wrist
    I (almost) never wear long sleeves so the height is not an issue.
    The clasp whilst agricultural is a much more logical engineering solution compared with the Pelagos and Omega clasps in my mind, as you don’t have to take the watch off your wrist to adjust. (The Tudor and Omega clasps are much better in terms of fit, finish and fabrication though).
    The lume is great, the bezel is a lot more robust than you would think, as is the crystal and the power reserve is great being 50 hours or so.

Master
    Great watches but like others here I've had three and flipped every one, and I don't even know why because I always want another one when I see a good one advertised. Go figure.
    OP no matter what, dont flip it you'll only want another.

Beautiful watch and really well executed. Sadly I've had to sell mine too as I have to come to terms with the fact it's just a tad too big for my smallish wrists. Always love seeing photos of them though, they are class.

Get it on an Isofrane.

Grand Master
    Twas my watch Tis a beauty......will I have another,perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Beautiful watch and really well executed. Sadly I've had to sell mine too as I have to come to terms with the fact it's just a tad too big for my smallish wrists. Always love seeing photos of them though, they are class.
    Let me know you want to borrow a SPB079 for a few days. It's sometimes known as the baby MM or the MM200 so could be interesting for you. Mine isn't for sale as it was a birthday present but more than happy to lend if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Let me know you want to borrow a SPB079 for a few days. It's sometimes known as the baby MM or the MM200 so could be interesting for you. Mine isn't for sale as it was a birthday present but more than happy to lend if you're interested.
    Thanks for the offer, very kind of you! I tried a few varieties of the MM200 on the wrist whilst in Singapore a couple of weeks ago and currently have a great blue hole on the way (the SPB083). May well receive it this week, just hoping I'll get on with the reduced height better though the dial does look a tad bigger with the slimmer bezel so time will tell if it's a keeper.

Thanks for the offer, very kind of you! I tried a few varieties of the MM200 on the wrist whilst in Singapore a couple of weeks ago and currently have a great blue hole on the way (the SPB083). May well receive it this week, just hoping I'll get on with the reduced height better though the dial does look a tad bigger with the slimmer bezel so time will tell if it's a keeper.
    I recently bought one as I wanted to test the water before committing to a full-fat MM300, but I think Seiko nailed it with the new version. It's stunning, comfortable, slim, wears surprisingly compact considering it's dimensions and has sapphire glass so no worrying about scratches.

I'm trying it a vintage Tropic for my holiday but have an Isofrane on order and can't decide between sticking the Isofrane on the Doxa or this …

I've an isofrane copy on my Tuna, suits it quite well.

I'll put a wrist shot up tonight if I remember.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Very nice. Yes, bigger dial, smaller bezel but overall a very nice watch. I've paired mine with the original MM300 strap and love it although due to the MM300 and SRPC49 don't wear it as much as I should. That being said when I do wear it I really enjoy. Easier to set the time/date on than the MM300, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I recently bought one as I wanted to test the water before committing to a full-fat MM300, but I think Seiko nailed it with the new version. It's stunning, comfortable, slim, wears surprisingly compact considering it's dimensions and has sapphire glass so no worrying about scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Very nice. Yes, bigger dial, smaller bezel but overall a very nice watch. I've paired mine with the original MM300 strap and love it although due to the MM300 and SRPC49 don't wear it as much as I should. That being said when I do wear it I really enjoy. Easier to set the time/date on than the MM300, too.
    They both look great, very much looking forward to getting mine. Sad to let the MM300 go but this might just fit the bill for my me size wise. Also got a blacked out sbdy041 on the way. Should be a couple of nice unboxings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Get it on an Isofrane.
    Original strap's the best match, IMO, but it's a stiff 'un and has to be boiled to fit.

I have a Degaz version of the original rubber strap. It’s not as stiff as the original but not as good as modern Seiko rubber straps and not bad value.
    Worth a look if you have not done already.

The luminosity on the dial is stunning. I have a quartz, maybe one day an automatic.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

The Lume is good, but compared to the newer dials with Lumibrite it's not as good.

Admittedly photo taken when darker, but the SBBN has noticeably better lume

Last edited by Wyvern971; 12th August 2019 at 16:31.

Master
    I'm glad someone else is as mental as me and owns both sbdx001 and sbbn031.... ;-)

There's really no need for one if you have the other but there we are - lol.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Hello

A great watch.

Try double cuffs for a shirt that may help.

SBBN031 on isofrane clone

Looks pretty good imo, fancied keeping them a bit different so the SBDX will stay on a waffle strap.

With regards to the SBBN031, I bought that before the SBDX's popped up on SC, if I didn't have it already I doubt I would pick one up, but it's nice to have the choice between auto and quartz.

One other thing I didn't notice until yesterday is that the date wheel isn't white, but closer to silver and looks quite a bit nicer for it.

I have a few double cuffs so might give it a go, but need to lose some weight first as I'm a bit wider than when I bought the shirts (less than 6 months ago.....)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    A great watch.

Try double cuffs for a shirt that may help.