closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SONOS set up

SONOS set up

Just having a 13mx4m extention built at the moment, so I have been considering options around music in the new space.

Already have SONOS in the house, so looking at potentially a SONOS AMP, wired upto some in-ceiling speakers [4 x 8" mono pairs] and possibly a sub to add a little more bass.

I'm slightly concerned that in-ceiling will be focusing the sound in a small area, and that I would be better off with either in-wall or a floor standing solution.

Generally the music will be background, although it would get ramped up on the occassion, I'll probably have a SONOS beam in the room also.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

So you're going to use 2-off Sonos amps configured as Mono-left, Mono-right; 1 amp driving 2 full range 8in in ceiling drive units.
    If so, should work well for background & the odd crank it up "tune". The space is too large for it to be party volume. I'm guessing the ceiling height ~2.4m.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

The room is 8x4m with a 2.4m ceiling height, one SONOS amp and 4 mono speakers in series.

I guess I could go with the in-ceiling plus sub, if it’s not enough add another amp and some floor standers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would use a QED 5 way speaker switch, wire the speakers to it also the speaker outputs of the Sonos amp back to the switch.
    KEF Unique ceiling speakers or Sonance will give you a great spread of sound.
    I've wired many properties with this set up and sounds fantastic.

Okay 8x4m is reasonable, 13m is a long room; 4-off ceiling units wired in series off a single 2 ch amp will be okay for background levels. You halve the sound pressure level from the drivers wired this way e.g. think of it now as an 60w system, the max voltage swing from the amp is the same & it is now shared between 2 drivers.
    If you'd be happy with a floorstander cluttering up the floorspace, its an option (with a 2nd amp), I have no idea what the room is to be used for. It all depends on your expectations; the original idea should provide adequate distributed music system (not head banging SPL)& easy to use. Pick some efficient 'speakers & it will go loud enough for most. An in wall sub is a very good idea if you can incorporate it into your plans.

Rod has made some great suggestions.
    Monitor Audio CI range are class leading IMO, not sure you can get them if you're not in the trade tho'? Maybe Rod can comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I would use a QED 5 way speaker switch, wire the speakers to it also the speaker outputs of the Sonos amp back to the switch.
    KEF Unique ceiling speakers or Sonance will give you a great spread of sound.
    I've wired many properties with this set up and sounds fantastic.
    Thanks for the info Rod. I must confess to being clueless in this area of watts an impedance, I gather the speakers should be 8ohms.

In suggesting the 5 way QED is it possible to hook up more speakers? Presumably there would be a sound/volume compromise in doing so?

Tying to avoid shelling out another £600 on a further SONOS Amp as there is potential to include another pair in the configuration.

OP, might be best to contact an av installer,
    for 'speakers wired in series then 4-6 ohm would be more appropriate (so the amp sees 8-12 ohm). Even if you don't use the CI outfit for the install they should be able to sell you a package that is known to work and advise how to join the dots. If you could let me know where in the country you are; tomorrow I'll pm a few suggestions of whom to contact., they'll look at your plans & give real advice

Master
    I have 2 speakers in my ceiling in kitchen connected to an Sonos amp and same set up in my bedroom the sound is superb the sound fills the kitchen easily don’t need any sub for back up.

The speakers aren’t even in the middle of the rooms, more to the back of the room and still blasts everywhere

Thanks, I’m in Nottingham. Already been to meet with Sevenoaks Sound and Vision.

Seemed quite knowledgeable, but I always like to my own research.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I have 2 speakers in my ceiling in kitchen connected to an Sonos amp and same set up in my bedroom the sound is superb the sound fills the kitchen easily don’t need any sub for back up.

The speakers aren’t even in the middle of the rooms, more to the back of the room and still blasts everywhere
    That sounds reassuring, do you have one amp with a speaker switch or two amps? Might I also enquire as to what speakers you have installed?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    That sounds reassuring, do you have one amp with a speaker switch or two amps? Might I also enquire as to what speakers you have installed?

Got two amps connected to each other, can’t remember what the speakers are but they were from the sonos website

Wait until the end of August before you buy anything. Sonos are holding an event in New York where they will announce new hardware.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/8/20...aybar-playbase
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/9/20...aker-model-s17
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/9/20...iling-speakers

Interesting, I can wait until the end of the month, thanks for the heads up!

Maybe I don’t need the SONOS Amp, just a SONOS Connect plugged into a multi-channel amp, the amp can then be specified to the number of rooms and speakers required, rather than being limited by the SONOS Amp specification. Does this sound right?

I’ve got a Sonos connected to 4 CT-165 Monitor audio speakers. Have had no issues on the 6 years I have had it set up like this.

I haven’t used any switches etc.

The room it’s filling is a bit bigger than your extension.

Your local Sevenoaks or Nottingham hi-fi both know their onions, no worries.

I would stick with your original idea of a Sonos amp, using a sonos connect with a distribution amp is a route I'd only recommend if you had an amp already& were set on keeping it. The Sonos amp will switch itself on/off via the app etc., the user experience will be another level compared to any mix-match effort & the all-up cost will be similar or even lower because the install is more straightforward. CI needs to work, no point trying to save a few pennies & then its not up to scratch as you're stuck with it. A good installer will be able to dem the in ceiling units driven by the Sonos analogous to your intended system fitment. Stick with the Sonos amp is my advice its a great system that you already like. My other advice is go for a listen, there is a big difference in the loudspeakers, let your ears decide + with CI no quibble guarantees are important, some brands are better than others worth factoring this in. Have fun choosing!

I need to make a very similar decision as I already have Sonos throughout the house, two Sonos Connects with existing amps and floor standers in reception rooms and Play 5s in the hall and kitchen. I'm extending the kitchen to a 40 square metre room and the dining room to a 30 square metre room. Likewise I don't need SPL or reference level listening as that would be done in a separate TV room for films and the living room for music, but I have no idea what I need for the kitchen and dining room just for background music.

Would 2 ceiling speakers be enough for the dining room hooked up to a Sonos amp and 4 ceiling speakers for the kitchen?

Are these Sonance architectural speakers that Sonos sell any good? They are expensive at £600 a pair but it says,
    The Sonos Amp has been designed to power up to three pairs of Sonos Architectural speakers on a single Sonos Amp.
    https://support.sonos.com/s/article/265?language=en_US
    Last edited by mindforge; 11th August 2019 at 19:59.

I would try to go with the amp if you can. I have a Sonos connect as it seemed the logical thing to do but it is a pain turning on the separate amp. The cost is similar I seem to recall and unless you have an amazing amp I would expect the Sonos performance is good enough especially as you can choose appropriate speakers.

Thanks for the info Rod. I must confess to being clueless in this area of watts an impedance, I gather the speakers should be 8ohms.

In suggesting the 5 way QED is it possible to hook up more speakers? Presumably there would be a sound/volume compromise in doing so?

Tying to avoid shelling out another £600 on a further SONOS Amp as there is potential to include another pair in the configuration.

The QED 5 way switch will take 5 pairs of speakers and has built in impedance matching. I used them to wire up maybe 5 bedrooms or a bathroom and 4 bedrooms.
    Sonance make some high quality stereo pairs or a single stereo to mono speaker.
    KEF aren't cheap but are exceptionally good quality.
    The Monitor Audio speakers I've found whilst not bad but a tad on the bright side for me.
    The only downside of my suggestion is that the rooms can only hear the same source. If you want different sources playing you have to have individual Sonos amplifiers (not cheap).
    Another to tip is to use a 'low smoke' 4 core speaker cable and fire back boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I’ve got a Sonos connected to 4 CT-165 Monitor audio speakers. Have had no issues on the 6 years I have had it set up like this.

I haven’t used any switches etc.

The room it’s filling is a bit bigger than your extension.
    Same as my set-up for last 3 years. No problems and sounds good.

Only issue is the sonos controller i was using is a flush wall mounted iPad and the sonos software no longer works on iPad. Using Sonopad now which resolves.

Went for 4 8” KEF Ci200QR speakers in the end, hooked up to to a Sonos AMP.

Having fun deciding on the optimum installation position, much to the annoyance of the OH!

Went for 4 8” KEF Ci200QR speakers in the end, hooked up to to a Sonos AMP.

Having fun deciding on the optimum installation position, much to the annoyance of the OH!

Excellent, what's the wiring pattern to hook them up to the Sonos?

I think the term is parallel, two left and two right.

Might have to consider a sub. Not much bass to them, not sure if that is down to the current open rafter arrangement or not.

Just joined in my Play 5 which adds a noticeable amount of bass to the mix.

Ah got it. Bass I believe is down to the size of the woofers? So 12 inch ones would provide more.