closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What’s wrong with these people ?

Journeyman
    As there's no actual moderation, people can self appoint themselves as the forum spokes person and then shout down/belittle anything they disagree with. The trick is to let it pass over your head and realise if we are in a position to afford nice things, such as expensive watches, life isn't all bad. I think it's known nowadays as "not sweating the small stuff"
    Last edited by Itizme; 12th August 2019 at 15:37.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itizme View Post
    As there's no actual moderation, people can self appoint themselves as a moderator and then shout down anything they disagree with. The trick is to let it pass over your head and realise if we are in a position to afford nice things, such as expensive watches, life isn't all bad. I think it's known nowadays as "not sweating the small stuff"
    There bloody well is moderation. Eddie has been perfectly clear about how he wants the place to run and expects us to behave as adults. He very very rarely actually has to do very much, but that's just effective moderation. The slip in standards while he is away is telling.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    Remember offence is never given, it can only be taken.
    That just sounds like a poor excuse for being an arrogant @r$£ to me.

If someone is offended by what you say, then that is quite likely to have something to do with what you said or the way you said it.

Journeyman
    OK I should of said the moderation is minimal, as you say he expects a level of maturity (not a bad thing).
    On other forums I use, some comments would be removed by moderation teams before it gets to the stages it does on here. Like I said letting it go over your head is probably the best way to be.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Modern society appears to be covered by a thin veneer of civility. That veneer is stripped away by the anonymity of the internet, revealing the true nature of the contributors.
    I find the opposite, there are more good people out there than dickheads, its just the assholes are usually louder & more visible.
    If im dealing with someone acting the maggot, i always think that people generally do what they think is right so even though i dont agree with this person, i have to assume they are working to a moral compass. I also assume that i dont know what horribleness may be going on in their lives, and cut them some slack.
    So someone is rude to me on a bus or in a meeting, i can let it annoy me, ruin a part of my day, raise my blood pressure, or i can assume that they are having a tough time and just venting & go about my day without giving it another thought.

See items 7, 12, 13, 16, below:
    13.Insist on having the best of everything — for instance, the best car or office (OR WATCH).
    This is particularly futile, as a wise WUS once told me, theres always a bigger willy in the room, the only way to win is not to play. If the enjoyment of something is dependent on what other people have or other conditions one has no control over, then its inevitably going to disappoint regardless of how expensive or high quality it is. Someone somewhere has a better/bigger/more expensive one.

Master
    Modern society appears to be covered by a thin veneer of civility. That veneer is stripped away by the anonymity of the internet, revealing the true nature of the contributors.

See items 7, 12, 13, 16, below:

Signs and symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder and the severity of symptoms vary. People with the disorder can:

1.Have an exaggerated sense of self-importance
    2.Have a sense of entitlement and require constant, excessive admiration
    3.Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
    4.Exaggerate achievements and talents
    5.Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
    6.Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people
    7.Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior
    8.Expect special favors and unquestioning compliance with their expectations
    9.Take advantage of others to get what they want
    10.Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
    11.Be envious of others and believe others envy them
    12.Behave in an arrogant or haughty manner, coming across as conceited, boastful and pretentious
    13.Insist on having the best of everything — for instance, the best car or office (OR WATCH).

At the same time, people with narcissistic personality disorder have trouble handling anything they perceive as criticism, and they can:

14.Become impatient or angry when they don't receive special treatment
    15.Have significant interpersonal problems and easily feel slighted
    16.React with rage or contempt and try to belittle the other person to make themselves appear superior
    17.Have difficulty regulating emotions and behavior
    18.Experience major problems dealing with stress and adapting to change
    19.Feel depressed and moody because they fall short of perfection
    20.Have secret feelings of insecurity, shame, vulnerability and humiliation
    Looks like an ad for my dating profile

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by d2ore View Post
    Sorry gents I did mention I am new here ? Why not point me in the right direction if I have placed this in the wrong place ?
    Hmmmm, I detect the smell of a ..... Edit Fair enough Mick. I was saddened by the events last weekend so it's possible I over reacted a little? I do think the words/phrases used by the OP were inflammatory and only served to bait certain people and even his subsequent responses invited divisive comment. In the interests of harmony I do hope this was not the OPs intention.
    Last edited by Suds; 15th August 2019 at 08:12.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Hmmmm, I detect the smell of a ..... Troll?
    Another unpleasant trait of TZ is to accuse someone with whom you disagree of being a troll. Accusing someone of being a troll is an easy way out of a discussion because it requires no thought or reasoning.

TZ is a microcosm of a wider trends on socmed. Calling someone a troll is a form of personal attack/smear, an attempt to deliberately dehumanise the subject and signal other people that the 'troll' should not be trusted so anyone who happens to share their POV would think twice about posting anything in support or share their POV. So much for diversity and tolerance..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I joined in December 2018
    And if you take a look you will see I’ve only engaged on the forum regularly recently 👍🏿
    To make an analogy...

You turn up as a newcomer in a pub where the regulars engage in robust banter, in-jokes and the occasional spat.

You sit quietly in the corner for an evening or two.

You then pipe up and tell everyone how they are going wrong in their chosen meeting place.

If you don’t like the pub, wouldn’t the normal polite and non-attention-seeking thing to do be to leave as quietly as you arrived and go to look for another pub more to your taste?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    To make an analogy...

You turn up as a newcomer in a pub where the regulars engage in robust banter, in-jokes and the occasional spat.

You then pipe up and tell everyone how they are going wrong in their chosen meeting place.

If you don’t like the pub, wouldn’t the normal polite and non-attention-seeking thing to do be to leave as quietly as you arrived and go to look for another pub more to your taste?

No I don’t see it like that but thanks for your opinion anyway I appreciate we are all different and have different views

No I don’t see it like that but thanks for your opinion anyway I appreciate we are all different and have different views
    I find draft's analogy very fitting. If you don't see that, maybe you should read it again.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Journeyman
    I think this analogy is from a regular in the pubs point of view, I presume the ops perspective is probably more like this
    To make an analogy...

On the 3rd night you start to join in and make a few comments which are met with eye rolling and disparaging remarks, you continue to try to join in but are made to feel unwelcome.

After a few nights of this you then pipe up and tell everyone how they are going wrong in their chosen meeting place, as its meant to be open to all.

I think this analogy is from a regular in the pubs point of view, I presume the ops perspective is probably more like this
    Have you done a search through posts of his quoted by other users to see if your presumption has any substance? I just did a cursory search and didn’t see any eye rolling or disparagement leaping off the screen.

Journeyman
    Have you done a search through posts of his quoted by other users to see if your presumption has any substance? I just did a cursory search and didn’t see any eye rolling or disparagement leaping off the screen.
    Like I said I presume(and as its a fictitious scenario, it's not a quote or fact) there's 2 sides to every story and I felt it needed balance. He's obviously feeling un welcome here, which is a pity
    Last edited by Itizme; 13th August 2019 at 08:59.

Like I said I presume, there's 2 sides to every story and I felt it needed balance. He's obviously feeling un welcome here, which is a pity
    Very good point. Perhaps you can find some evidence of where established members have made him unwelcome. In the interests of balance.

Edit: unlike the quoted poster I have not misquoted or mis-ascribed words to him. I quoted his post in full as it was before he edited it.
    Last edited by draftsmann; 13th August 2019 at 09:00.

Journeyman
    Well ive never been anywhere described as hostile, that I'd view as welcoming place.

I personally think there is more hissy fit reactions and general rudeness in the public areas of the forum recently than there used to be.
    So I think the OP has a point, although making it so plainly and so early in a posting career is bound to harvest reactions.

One of the newer phenomena here, is that there a lot more carry over of heated spats from the BP into the public areas, and into posts that i has no business in.
    I try not to visit the BP, when I do it seems to epitomise a lot of stuff I would rather do without. But most of the time a thread elsewhere in the forum goes wildly off track into rudeness, it is clear that an unfinished argument (from the BP I guess) is at the heart of it.

D

To make an analogy...

Here's another analogy.

You've been visiting a nice quiet pub for years, minding your own business and enjoying a pint and a chat. Then a few years back a few newcomers turned up. They seemed nice at first but after a while they started getting louder and more obnoxious. Nowadays they seems to spend most of their time throwing their weight around and roughing each other up like a bunch of belligerent schoolboys and telling everyone else this is their pub and anyone who doesn't like it should drink elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Here's another analogy.

You've been visiting a nice quiet pub for years, minding your own business and enjoying a pint and a chat. Then a few years back a few newcomers turned up. They seemed nice at first but after a while they started getting louder and more obnoxious. Nowadays they seems to spend most of their time throwing their weight around and roughing each other up like a bunch of belligerent schoolboys and telling everyone else this is their pub and anyone who doesn't like it should drink elsewhere.
    Here’s the original version of your post, screenshot for truth:

So for clarity are you suggesting that the ruffians include:
    Raffe?
    Me?
    Both of us?

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Here's another analogy.

That sounds more like it.

I wasn’t quite quick enough to screenshot your quip about flat roof pubs. Whatever.

Master
    The best way to look at it is to consider TZ-UK as a country. The WT is the nice bit where nice people hang out talking about nice things in a civilised manner.

The BP is the lunatic asylum, hidden by Prime Minister Eddie from public view. This is the place for the thugs to kick and lambast each other and anything else they can think of. Like most gangs, if left alone, they only kick each other, which when you think about it, is rather convenient.

On Saturday a few of them escaped into the nice bit, but they obviously felt out of place and have now retreated back to the pit from which they came, so no long term damage has been done.

Possibly we can now return to discussing nice things again.

Journeyman

Thanks

Thanks gents

I made my point And I appreciate some people agree and some do not
    I’m ok with that .......assuming people are sensible about different points views .....which some are not
    Can we just move on now ...I wish I hadn’t bothered posting this as I don’t want people to think I’m looking for a row because I am really not especially after only being a member since Dec 2018

I just felt I had to call out what I was seeing no offence to anyone in particular intended at all

Can we just talk sensibly about watches now please ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    ...thugs to kick and lambast each other and anything else they can think of...
    I generally find the thugs rather less wearisome and dishonest than the virtue signallers.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    That just sounds like a poor excuse for being an arrogant @r$£ to me.

If someone is offended by what you say, then that is quite likely to have something to do with what you said or the way you said it.
    You appear to be confusing your inference with my implication, which was that if you weren't being deliberately offensive, don't feel bad when someone takes offence at what you say. There will always be someone who does.

Remember offence is never given, it can only be taken.
    You appear to be confusing your inference with my implication, which was that if you weren't being deliberately offensive, don't feel bad when someone takes offence at what you say. There will always be someone who does.
    No confusion on my part. It is your last statement I do not agree with, as you say that offence is 'NEVER' given.

Yes it is, and it is often done intentionally. To unequivocally burden the recipient is just an excuse for extreme arrogance.

I agree with your general point that everyone seems to take offence to everything nowadays, but offensive statements/language/whatever, do 100% exist.
    Last edited by Maysie; 13th August 2019 at 14:07.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Pathetic people finding bravery behind their keyboards unfortunately. Face to face you wouldn’t give them the time of day.

FACE TO FACE, it would never happen. Half of these, so called men would crawl up there own backsides or atleast hide behind someone's skirt. If not there own.

I for one am in total agreement with the OP. Whilst the cats away and all that. A bunch of male bunny boilers.

If want to persue this in the BP, then crack on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Pathetic people finding bravery behind their keyboards unfortunately. Face to face you wouldn’t give them the time of day.

FACE TO FACE, it would never happen. Half of these, so called men would crawl up there own backsides or atleast hide behind someone's skirt. If not there own.

I for one am in total agreement with the OP. Whilst the cats away and all that. A bunch of male bunny boilers.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Very ironic post, throwing weight around about others throwing theirs................from behind a keyboard.

it is a conundrum.

What’s wrong with these people ?

You’ll always get argumentative people but you can always ignore them rather than feed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RAFF; 13th August 2019 at 14:45.

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, this post does seem rather antagonistic and as such is highlighting the issue raised in the OP.

If we all took a few seconds to think about how we conducted ourselves here, (me included) there would be less aggravation.
    Follow the few rules set out by the host
    Treat people as you wish to be treated.
    It’s that simple
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 13th August 2019 at 14:13.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Very ironic post, throwing weight around about others throwing theirs................from behind a keyboard.

it is a conundrum.

You clearly have miss read my posts ?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Whilst I agree with your sentiment, this post does seem rather antagonistic and as such is highlighting the issue raised in the OP.

If we all took a few seconds to think about how we conducted ourselves here, (me included) there would be less aggravation.
    It’s that simple

Agree with you , but I was never trying to be antagonistic just calling a spade a spade
    The people that keep on are the antagonists
    I have tried to say let’s just move on

To me anyone reading through the reply’s will be agreeing with my original post
    Maybe I poised the statement in the wrong way ? If I did I apologise

Agree with you , but I was never trying to be antagonistic just calling a spade a spade

Sinnlover was quoting MADDOG, so was clearly not referring to you at all.

D2ore
    I was not referring to you.
    I was referring to the post I quoted.

I think most people here will have an opinion largely because they care about the place even though it a virtual world.
    My overriding opinion of the forum is a good one
    There are lots of people who are willing to help out or offer advice and the guys I have met in the real world have been total gents.

Journeyman
    Sinnlover was quoting MADDOG, so was clearly not referring to you at all.
    No but he does go on to talk about my post and the point I was making thank you

* at least I thought he did !
    Last edited by d2ore; 13th August 2019 at 14:35. Reason: Spelling

Journeyman
    D2ore
    I was not referring to you.
    I was referring to the post I quoted.

I think most people here will have an opinion largely because they care about the place even though it a virtual world.
    My overriding opinion of the forum is a good one
    There are lots of people who are willing to help out or offer advice and the guys I have met in the real world have been total gents.

That’s cool I’m not for a second saying everyone on this forum is a bad guy I’m sure that is not true at all
    I have met a couple of guys that seem top gents
    But feel my original post stands and that’s my opinion to air

Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    You’ll always get ***** but you can always ignore them rather than feed them.

I'd edit this ASAP or your time here will be coming to an end shortly. Eddie may tolerate idiots in the public areas of the forum, but not profanity.
    F.T.F.A.

You clearly have miss read my posts ?
    You are mistaken miss, I think he read them correctly:-)
    Just kiddin.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    You are mistaken miss, I think he read them correctly:-)
    Just kiddin.

🤣 fair one ......Sorry

What’s wrong with these people ?

Misquote.
    Last edited by RAFF; 13th August 2019 at 14:46.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I'd edit this ASAP or your time here will be coming to an end shortly. Eddie may tolerate idiots in the public areas of the forum, but not profanity.
    Edited but didn’t think that word would be considered bannable! Cheers for heads up.

Journeyman
    Edited but didn’t think that word would be considered bannable! Cheers for heads up.

+ 1 but ....I’ll take your original advice I think thanks ! 🙏

No but he does go on to talk about my post and the point I was making thank you

* at least I thought he did !
    Wow.
    If you re-read your post, the way you say 'thank you' at the end comes across as very sarcastic and antagonistic, to someone who was trying to do you a favour.

I was in full agreement with the sentiment of your OP, but you have now made me think about you in a new light.

If I could offer some friendly advice, you should really put the spade down and stop digging now, as you are not making this hole any smaller for yourself.

+ 1 but ....I’ll take your original advice I think thanks !

Journeyman
    Wow.
    If you re-read your post, the way you say 'thank you' at the end comes across as very sarcastic and antagonistic, to someone who was trying to do you a favour.

I was in full agreement with the sentiment of your OP, but you have now made me think about you in a new light.

If I could offer some friendly advice, you should really put the spade down and stop digging now, as you are not making this hole any smaller for yourself.
    Take your point , it wasn’t meant that way but it is very difficult sometimes just reading text

Just in the public areas of the forum where non registered folk and their children can look in. Someone quoting your post in full would have been glitched as well.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Just in the public areas of the forum where non registered folk and their children can look in. Someone quoting your post in full would have been glitched as well.
    Good to know!

Master

It’s that simple

I think alot of us do conduct ourselves correctly. Me, I broke the rules and am now paying for them, and NO before anyone mentions it, I am NOT playing the pity card,but it does not mean to say that I don't conduct myself accordingly ( some may say otherwise ), but when afew members on here throw stones we are not going to sit back and let that happen. We will throw them back.

Like I have said before, we do have afew bully boys on here, like it or not, just admit the fact, that do gang up on individuals of late and have began to run riot in Eddie's absence and have become power crazy. We are all meant to be grown men for god's sake.

There is no need to get into a disussion by effing and jeffing and dropping in the ' C ' bomb. Or is this the norm.