closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help re old JLC

Help re old JLC

A friend sent me these very poor pics of an old watch he has found .... whilst is says Jaeger Le Coultre from the poor pics it looks like the pugs aren’t centred. Is it genuine / what era is it from / any info gratefully received

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The pic is not good but it could be a Powermatic. I have one hallmarked at 1954 and the power indicator is red.

They usually started out with a leather strap and bracelets were added at a later date.

To me it looks genuine but the pics are not really good enough to say for sure.

You can google for pics and there are dozens of versions.

Yes, it looks genuine. That's a 50's Powermatic.

Thanks for the input. It isn’t working but would it be worth spending money on (guesstimate £400) to get some life back into it ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Thanks for the input. It isn’t working but would it be worth spending money on (guesstimate £400) to get some life back into it ?

Now for the bad news. JLC have been holding back on spares for years and as such most indies can only do a basic service.

Some years ago the winding knob and the shaft linked to it fell out of mine whilst I was walking in London. After asking around to a load of good watch repairers, I took their advice and sent it off to JLC.

Three months later, I got it back with a bill for £1200.00.

Help re old JLC

Whereas I had my reasonably complicated Master Geographic, running very slow and hard to wind, serviced by an independent who could get pretty much any part ;), replaced the main and balance springs and lightly hand polished the case for £750. It took two weeks and 2 years later it’s running at +1.5spd.

OP IMHO your friend’s watch, which is lovely, might be worth around £1000 if it was in good condition and running well. Others may have different views +/- but if it was mine I’d certainly bring it back to life for £400, if that were possible. I would not send it to JLeC.

Thanks for that .... my estimate of £400 was based on me being quoted £500 for my JLC master compressor geographic to be serviced (at an indy, JLC was £750)

Sounds like a good bet to me as you already know someone who could do it.

Be nice to see some decent pictures when it is done if your friend doesn’t mind.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Sounds like a good bet to me as you already know someone who could do it.

Be nice to see some decent pictures when it is done if your friend doesn’t mind.
    it's my pal's grandfather's watch and he is the type that thinks £400 should by you a lifetime of watches ....so he's "thinking about it"

Translate that into "back in the drawer for another few years"....but if there is an update I will update this thread

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    it's my pal's grandfather's watch and he is the type that thinks £400 should by you a lifetime of watches ....so he's "thinking about it"

Translate that into "back in the drawer for another few years"....but if there is an update I will update this thread
    I’d happily buy him a lifetime supply of Casio FW91Ws in exchange ;).

I guess it is a lot if you aren’t going to wear it but the sentimental connection is too strong to let it go.