closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBC: 'How to Break into the Elite'

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Really?

Bum Chumming with the Russkie Troll is not a great alliance in my book!.
    Are you making an allegation regarding my sexual preferences? Please elaborate on that.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Are you making an allegation regarding my sexual preferences? Please elaborate on that.
    I'll leave that for you.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    I'll leave that for you.
    It's quite an important point. Are you, or not?

It's quite an important point. Are you, or not?
    It's not important to me.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    It's not important to me.
    It is to me. So what is your answer?

I find it very difficult to understand those who judge success in terms of income, property or social status. Success to me means a loving family, happiness and contentment, friendship and support through the good times and the bad, being respected, having integrity. I don't want to die having accumulated loads of wealth, I want to die with people remembering me with a smile on their faces. Sure I'd like to do both, but only one is important to me.

'Bum chum' - don't think I've heard that since I was at school.

Really?

Bum Chumming with the Russkie Troll is not a great alliance in my book!.
    What is my (perceived by you) ethnic background has to do with my comments in this thread. Why you're attacking me by calling me troll? And what is the act of 'bum chumming', I’m not familiar with the term. Could you please explain it to me in plain English?

You are not one of those unconsciously biased homorussophobes by any chance Prince Harry has warned us about?

Prince Harry: unconscious bias affects whether you are racist

Perception is learned from family, advertising or surrounding environment, the duke says
    LINK

And by saying 'it’s just a matter of time' are you threatening me with some sort of consequences for me expressing my opinion on this forum? Is your opinion better than mine or as 'Russkie', a derogatory term for an ethic minority in this country, I have no right to express my opinion? Just curious.

PS BTW if anyone is wondering about Chris character and what trolling and swift justice actually looks like, here is the real life example - link
    Last edited by VDG; 12th August 2019 at 12:52.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Prince Harry would be pedigree chum.

I hear he is partial to dogs, which cannot be said about your goodself ;)

v Cheers.
    Last edited by VDG; 11th August 2019 at 01:51.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Never tried them.

BTW it's 'your goodself'.

Going back on topic somewhat, if you think it’s hard for an Essex girl to break through the proverbial 'glass ceiling' imaging how hard it is for an immigrant with no or very limited English who arrived in this country in rubber dingy or legally and expected to serve you coffee, flip your burger or pick your strawberries to succeed and do good for themselves? So it’s a double whammy, and then there are people like Chris..
    Last edited by VDG; 11th August 2019 at 02:51.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    I thought this story was more interesting -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49278279

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    The old, "It's not what you know, it's who you know" still rings as true today as ever.

Of course you have to be up to the job but a leg up always helps.
    Known a few who were not up to the job at all.. just daddy's friend in the city helped out... but daddy's friend was rather important

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I find it very difficult to understand those who judge success in terms of income, property or social status. Success to me means a loving family, happiness and contentment, friendship and support through the good times and the bad, being respected, having integrity. I don't want to die having accumulated loads of wealth, I want to die with people remembering me with a smile on their faces. Sure I'd like to do both, but only one is important to me.
    Of course this is right but it’s important not to forget that financial independence and financial security can make these goals much easier to achieve. Money problems can put huge stress on families and relationships. The current disparity between house prices and income isn’t helping the millennials at all.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I thought this story was more interesting -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49278279
    'Yoni steaming' lolz, describes perfectly what some members do in the PB innit, steaming and foaming, and then they have prolapse in G&D
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    Of course this is right but it’s important not to forget that financial independence and financial security can make these goals much easier to achieve. Money problems can put huge stress on families and relationships. The current disparity between house prices and income isn’t helping the millennials at all.
    How about factoring in the difference in attitude? A few examples:

I wasn't given a new car at the age of 17 or 18, which seems to be an expectation these days. I had to wait until I’d graduated and got a proper job, then took a loan and bought an old MG (my pride and joy). Then when I went to buy my first house the housing market on the Isle of Man was sky high. I sold the car to go towards the deposit and for a year took the bus. The house itself was a tiny one bedroom cottage that needed a huge amount of work. It was just about the only place I could afford.

When I bought that first house as referenced by Mick P above interest rates were 15%+ (it was around 1990). First wife and I didn’t eat out, exchange Christmas or birthday presents of any value or take holidays for years. I bought charity shop clothes. Etc.

And when I found dry rot and structural problems in that tiny, overpriced and expensively financed house I couldn’t afford builders. I bought and borrowed from the library (no internet) books on building and restoration, begged and borrowed tools and (with no practical education in anything hands-on) rolled up my sleeves and spent every evening weekend for several years fixing the place. Myself. With my own hands.

There’s more but you get the idea?

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    How about factoring in the difference in attitude? A few examples:

I wasn't given a new car at the age of 17 or 18, which seems to be an expectation these days. I had to wait until I’d graduated and got a proper job, then took a loan and bought an old MG (my pride and joy). Then when I went to buy my first house the housing market on the Isle of Man was sky high. I sold the car to go towards the deposit and for a year took the bus. The house itself was a tiny one bedroom cottage that needed a huge amount of work. It was just about the only place I could afford.

When I bought that first house as referenced by Mick P above interest rates were 15%+ (it was around 1990). First wife and I didn’t eat out, exchange Christmas or birthday presents of any value or take holidays for years. I bought charity shop clothes. Etc.

And when I found dry rot and structural problems in that tiny, overpriced and expensively financed house I couldn’t afford builders. I bought and borrowed from the library (no internet) books on building and restoration, begged and borrowed tools and (with no practical education in anything hands-on) rolled up my sleeves and spent every evening weekend for several years fixing the place. Myself. With my own hands.

There’s more but you get the idea?
    I get the idea you don’t have a clue.

Last edited by HookedSeven; 11th August 2019 at 10:40.

I’ll contend it’s generation millenial that doesn’t have a clue. Not a clue how to survive on the cheap, not a clue how to make sacrifices, not a clue how to be resourceful and not expect everything handed on a plate.

Yes, I’m aware of the growing disparity between income and house prices. On the other hand:

1. Only a generation ago the “wife’s” income was taken into account for assessing how much could be borrowed to a much lesser extent than now, eg a typical ratio was 3x income of “main earner” plus 1x wife’s income.

2. Borrowing limits as multiple of income have generally increased.

3. Inherited or gifted wealth is available to make up the shortfall far more than it ever was to any previous generation.

I’ll contend it’s generation millenial that doesn’t have a clue. Not a clue how to survive on the cheap, not a clue how to make sacrifices, not a clue how to be resourceful and not expect everything handed on a plate.

Yes, I’m aware of the growing disparity between income and house prices. On the other hand:

1. Only a generation ago the “wife’s” income was taken into account for assessing how much could be borrowed to a much lesser extent than now, eg a typical ratio was 3x income of “main earner” plus 1x wife’s income.

2. Borrowing limits as multiple of income have generally increased.

3. Inherited or gifted wealth is available to make up the shortfall far more than it ever was to any previous generation.
    I’m just left scratching my head...

1) Yes. Changing assessment rules is one of the big reasons house prices have shot up. How is it a positive that two people have to work to buy the same thing that one worker could fund in the past. How does this fit in with increased job uncertainty, zero-hour contracts, wanting to raise a family, etc ?

2) Same as above. The current First-Time-Buyers must be over the moon that they can take on more debt than previous generations.

3) according to definition a millennial will be 23-37 years old today. The average age for all births in the UK in the 1980s seems to be about 27-28 years old. So a typical parent of a millennial will be around 50-65 years old. Life expectancy is 81. They’ll have to wait 16-31 years. Not sure how that’s going to help them at the time they need it. And anyway, the thread was originally about those who start life with little and then succeed financially. Inheritance isn’t likely to be the answer for them.

Have to agree with Dave, for millennials it's more difficult than ever to climb the ladder. If their parents are not able to help out it's unlikely they will ever be able to afford their own house.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

There's plenty of good points raised in this thread, I'll add my own observations if I may apologies if it goes slightly off topic.
    Kids are expected to strive for a university place with its associated debt.
    On passing their driving tests it's expected that they'll get a nearly new car
    When they go to buy a house they are unlikely to consider a run down old house as a first step on the ladder.
    Years back public transport pricing was far more in line with earnings.
    We exist in a consumerist society, must have phones at around a thousand pounds, must have watches, prom nights, stag nights and weddings in far away places.
    Kids and us are constantly being sold the things that apparently we must have,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

'My wealth is measured not in the extent of my posessions but the absence of my wants', Joseph Brotherton iirc.

As n.2 observed our current system is totally antithetical to this idea or philosophy. To swim against the tide and not spend it and save instead understanding that is how you pay your future self, well it's never been tougher, requires great personal discipline, sacrifice even. Chuck in the great house price deformation as others have observed and it's tough out there. That said it can still be done but I reckon it's harder now especially if you're starting from working class origins.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Certainly does no harm going to Eton or Cheltenham Ladies!

It's always been like this and will continue to be.
    Exactly, which is why we've ended up with a lying oaf as PM. A lying oaf he may be but he went to Eton

Master
    It’d be interesting to hear ideas why it might be easier.

If I take Mick’s time line I could say general unemployment was 2-3 times lower when he started out, apprenticeships we’re almost certainly more available, housing costs and debt in general were lower (and debt was inflated away in the seventies). Job security was probably better, public sector pensions better (final salary, paid for by today’s workers, etc). Financial security allows for greater risk taking in careers. I’m a middle generation X’er and I’m pretty sure I’ve had better chances than the millennials.
    I was one of those apprentices, starting in 1974 and expected a job for life at that firm, final salary and all.
    I've got to say i agree 100% with your post.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    Exactly, which is why we've ended up with a lying oaf as PM. A lying oaf he may be but he went to Eton
    This summary by James O'Brien on LBC was excellent -

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presente...-british-army/

Master
    O'Brien is far too bright for Johnson. The oaf should stay away from him.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Not sure if I would agree that it's easier for the current generation. With increased globalization of work forces there's more competition than ever.

The digital age also compounds that potentially as jobs which require high skills can also be done remotely, both my current employers and the one before have some programming teams outsourced to a company in eastern Europe, costs less than full time staff too.

I'd also say that the work ethic varies greatly with the youngsters entering the work force today. Pretty much on par with what I saw when I was at school leaver age. (I've had a few interns come through, and some contractors in my team. I've given one intern a job, and would take on one of the contractors if I had a position, but I've also had quite a few come through who showed little interest or common sense).

TLDR:
    Competition for well paying jobs is as fierce or fiercer than when I first started working 20 years ago.

Some of the youngsters these days are feckless, while others expect to have everything served up to them on a platter, and others have the right mentality, and willingness to put the required effort in.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Wyvern971; 11th August 2019 at 17:04.

The system of civilisation we have adopted is bizarre. Even more bizarre to call it civil.
    Gray

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    'My wealth is measured not in the extent of my posessions but the absence of my wants', Joseph Brotherton iirc.

Epictetus said it somewhat earlier than tha plagiarist, abstinent, vegetarian, MP :-)

This was meant as a Joke (but true)

B
    Last edited by Brian; 11th August 2019 at 21:27.

I’d like to say that while all this millennial bashing is quite entertaining, the reality is that most of those attributes appear to be somewhat related to the parenting they have received.

I love the irony that those complaining about millennials the most are the ones who actually made them.

Not only did they make them, they also rigged the system against them.

These complainers profited when it was easy to do so and put it down to hard work. By being born in the right generation they got cheap housing, free degrees and no student debt. Maybe they joined the herd and bought some buy to let. Genius.

None of these things are available to kids now. A kid without the bank of mum and dad has no chance these days.

Master
    Hard to disagree

I get the idea you don’t have a clue.

Serious question...why are you so heavily focussed on property prices? It seems to be the cornerstone of your angst. If your location is correct, you will be aware that we're pretty unique amongst Europeans in our fascination with owning the property we live in. Take that out of the equation (it's a want rather than a need) and things surely start to look a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I love the irony that those complaining about millennials the most are the ones who actually made them.

Not only did they make them, they also rigged the system against them.

These complainers profited when it was easy to do so and put it down to hard work. By being born in the right generation they got cheap housing, free degrees and no student debt. Maybe they joined the herd and bought some buy to let. Genius.

None of these things are available to kids now. A kid without the bank of mum and dad has no chance these days.
    Yes of course we had it “easy”. Piece of piss, it was. How lucky we were.

Yes of course we had it “easy”. Piece of piss, it was. How lucky we were.
    Nobody said 'easy'. Just 'easier'.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Nobody said 'easy'. Just 'easier'.
    Easy, easier, whatever. All I know is I never had anything handed to me on a plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Serious question...why are you so heavily focussed on property prices? It seems to be the cornerstone of your angst. If your location is correct, you will be aware that we're pretty unique amongst Europeans in our fascination with owning the property we live in. Take that out of the equation (it's a want rather than a need) and things surely start to look a lot better.
    Well I’m a Brit so I know all about the perception that it’s important to own your own property. And it’s not so much the cornerstone of my angst (happily I’m relatively angst free), but it is one of the cornerstone problems facing the millennials. Seeing as shelter is a basic necessity I don’t see how we can take it out of the equation.

- - - Updated - - -

Easy, easier, whatever. All I know is I never had anything handed to me on a plate.
    Who said you had it handed to you on a plate ?

Which post ?

A third of your posts on this forum spent arguing about the generational divide.

Well I’m a Brit so I know all about the perception that it’s important to own your own property. And it’s not so much the cornerstone of my angst (happily I’m relatively angst free), but it is one of the cornerstone problems facing the millennials. Seeing as shelter is a basic necessity I don’t see how we can take it out of the equation.

- - - Updated - - -
    ?
    Shelter is of course a basic necessity, but owning your shelter isn't. Widescale property ownership is a relatively recent development, and much more popular in the UK than elsewhere. For most people, the benefits of property ownership are overstated. They spend decades paying a mortgage (mainly interest) which is in excess of what they could be paying in rent. The benefits only start to materialise some 25-30 years hence. So the millennials aren't at much of a tangible disadvantage in the short term, and in the long term, many will inherit high value property anyway - something which the previous generation didn't do so much.

A third of your posts on this forum spent arguing about the generational divide.
    Something wrong with defending a cause you believe in ?

Shelter is of course a basic necessity, but owning your shelter isn't. Widescale property ownership is a relatively recent development, and much more popular in the UK than elsewhere. For most people, the benefits of property ownership are overstated. They spend decades paying a mortgage (mainly interest) which is in excess of what they could be paying in rent. The benefits only start to materialise some 25-30 years hence. So the millennials aren't at much of a tangible disadvantage in the short term, and in the long term, many will inherit high value property anyway - something which the previous generation didn't do so much.
    A considered and intelligent contribution.

Unfortunately the laws in this land mean that renting is an uncertain future.

As pensions are no longer guaranteed, paying rent in retirement will be impossible for many.

Rent caps, assured tenancy, and enforced standards are required.

When I lived in Switzerland, almost nobody cared about home ownership. Here in the UK I'd be nervous approaching retirement if I didn't have my own place.

If the UK rental sector was professionally run and tenants had better rights I’d agree with you. But it’s not. It’s full of amateur buy-to-let landlords who want to park their money somewhere better than the bank.

- - - Updated - - -

A considered and intelligent contribution.
    The inference being ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Unfortunately the laws in this land mean that renting is an uncertain future.

As pensions are no longer guaranteed, paying rent in retirement will be impossible for many.

Rent caps, assured tenancy, and enforced standards are required.

When I lived in Switzerland, almost nobody cared about home ownership. Here in the UK I'd be nervous approaching retirement if I didn't have my own place.
    If you are single and retired it's even worse. Housing associations can be very hard work and renting privately can be very expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Something wrong with defending a cause you believe in ?
    Which 'cause' in particular are you defending?

Which 'cause' in particular are you defending?
    “Cause” was perhaps a poor choice of word. I just see comments like this and they wind me up.

“Now approaching retirement, I can't help feeling that the younger generation feel much more sense of entitlement and don't accept as much responsibility for the position they find themselves in instead preferring to feed the blame culture.”

I expect the majority of posters here are older, so the millennials probably aren’t here to defend themselves. If posters backed up their opinions with proper evidence I would mind less, but it’s nearly always anecdotal. I think the boomers (for want of a better term) just do it to absolve themselves of any responsibility for the difficulties that the younger generations are facing.
    Last edited by HookedSeven; 12th August 2019 at 06:38.

Blog Entries
    “Cause” was perhaps a poor choice of word. I just see comments like this and they wind me up.

“Now approaching retirement, I can't help feeling that the younger generation feel much more sense of entitlement and don't accept as much responsibility for the position they find themselves in instead preferring to feed the blame culture.”

I expect the majority of posters here are older, so the millennials probably aren’t here to defend themselves. If posters backed up their opinions with proper evidence I would mind less, but it’s nearly always anecdotal. I think the boomers (for want of a better term) just do it to absolve themselves of any responsibility for the difficulties that the younger generations are facing.
    Most generations have their own difficulties.
    For example, the generations being born in the 1920s probably felt they had a rough deal.
    Healthcare and social care have made huge leaps forward and millennials obviously benefit from that.
    To simply say that ‘boomers’ as you call them had it easy is an over generalisation in my opinion. Many didn’t and had to work damned hard for what they have, and didn’t have the prospect of a house sized inheritance coming their way.

That 'house sized inheritance' can look pretty poor if one of you parents requires dementia care.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Most generations have their own difficulties.
    For example, the generations being born in the 1920s probably felt they had a rough deal.
    Healthcare and social care have made huge leaps forward and millennials obviously benefit from that.
    To simply say that ‘boomers’ as you call them had it easy is an over generalisation in my opinion. Many didn’t and had to work damned hard for what they have, and didn’t have the prospect of a house sized inheritance coming their way.
    I never said the “boomers” had it easy... did I ? That generalization keeps cropping up but always as a straw man. The contention is that they probably, overall, had it easier than the “millennials” will have it. Do you have a position on that ? I’m from “generation x” and I think I’ve had it easier than the millennials are having it. I work with many so I see the reality (at least the reality here in Germany).

And I did try to think of a better/friendlier term than “boomers”, but I think there isn’t one that so clearly defines the start and end dates.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    That 'house sized inheritance' can look pretty poor if one of you parents requires dementia care.
    Don’t let reality get in the way !

Having said that, the one big advantage the “millennials” may well have is advances in healthcare. It’s quite possible they’ll have a much better average quality of life in their later years.
    Last edited by HookedSeven; 12th August 2019 at 07:51.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    That doesn’t apply to everyone though, terrible though it is.

As a buy to let landlord, do you think you had it easier than previous and later generations?