closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone in the dark yesterday?

Master

Anyone in the dark yesterday?

Power outage caused big problems although not here in NW London. Shows what chaos can ensue when Mr. Elekie has a holiday. I reckon there was a hack although they’ll never admit it.

Blog Entries
    Not in my part of the World but it was regular when i lived in rural Hertfordshire and that taught me just how reliant we are on just flicking a switch and i now have both gas and electric cooking, a log burner, wind up lantern , power pack for phones & pads ,a regular cheap handset,calor gas and camping hob sounds dramatic but until you have spent several hours without electric and you fancy a cuppa
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

I am in West London and there was nothing here
    However we had a power cut earlier in the year (jan)
    It went off about 7pm one Friday night and power didn’t return until 10am the following morning.
    I now keep a torch along with few candles and a spare box of matches where I can find them.
    That’s modern living for you 😀

Master
    Power was out for about 15 mins in NE London yesterday evening, at about 5pm

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Out in the sticks, overhead cables, power cuts are a regular occurance, but nothing yesterday.

In our corner of rural Gloucestershire we had a couple of brief power outages yesterday; no more than 30 seconds each. I awoke this morning to find that there'd clearly been another overnight (oven and microwave clocks needed resetting, a lamp with a remote control bulb was on etc.) It's not unusual and as a consequence I have UPSs attached to my desktop and NAS, not so much to keep them running but so they shut down properly if required.

Brexit uncertainty.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

west yorks ok, but being a camper I have gas stoves & spare gas cans, battery & solar led lights, small petrol generator & fuel, gas heater, leisure batteries with a 100 watt solar panel should I need it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redkite View Post
    Out in the sticks, overhead cables, power cuts are a regular occurance, but nothing yesterday.
    Ditto...

So I bet you already have things like a camping stove etc... ready for the power going off :-)

These townies can't cope ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I am in West London and there was nothing here
    Depends where in west London, Chelsea was ok, but no electric from Wandsworth bridge to Chelsea bridge. Pubs and shops in darkness, all the traffic lights were out and I had to ride through it in the Fridayrush hour. Was expecting traffic hold-ups and jams but the traffic couldn’t have been smoother or clearer, even the usual pinch points were clear. . Makes you wonder if we really need traffic lights in urban areas.

Traffic is competitively light cuz everyone is on holidays. Just saying.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    With the rush to electrify everything makes me wonder about the future susceptibility when the country puts all it's eggs in one basket.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    With the rush to electrify everything makes me wonder about the future susceptibility when the country puts all it's eggs in one basket.
    With VTG (vehicle to grid), there’ll be millions of parked vehicles with power available to support the grid.

We had a local switching station fault which meant about 250 houses out on Monday evening. Had VTG been available already, my fully charged van would have kept us in power. Instead it was candles and conversation which was actually quite enjoyable got a change.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    With VTG (vehicle to grid), there’ll be millions of parked vehicles with power available to support the grid.

We had a local switching station fault which meant about 250 houses out on Monday evening. Had VTG been available already, my fully charged van would have kept us in power. Instead it was candles and conversation which was actually quite enjoyable got a change.
    Surely in that case everyone could have a cooked breakfast but probably not have enough power to get to work? ;-)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Anyone in the dark yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Surely in that case everyone could have a cooked breakfast but probably not have enough power to get to work? ;-)
    It’s early days but a cooked breakfast would probably equate to about a mile of two of range.

What V2G will do is to create a huge storage facility for excess generation which can then be called upon in times of high load.

I’m guessing that, if you need a full battery for a certain time, the software will ensure you have it and take power from those that don’t.

Edit: or they could just take the shopping trolley Harley! *

* That was a joke.