closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Skydweller question

Question Rolex Skydweller question

I'm helping a friend to buy his first Rolex and the one he has name on the list for (at the AD I introduced him to) is the new White Gold YM 42mm on Oysterflex. However he is unlikely to get that until next year, at the earliest, but he would like to buy something now.

The other pieces he is also interested in are on the "hard to get" list so was thinking of a little lateral thinking here. He really likes the Skydweller as a model (and would buy a S/S with WG bezel model at list IF available - which, in general, they just aren't) so thought he should consider the White Gold Skydweller on the Croc strap - reference 326139. Same size as the YM at 42mm and still a subtle precious metal (don't think he would do Rose or Yellow Gold) model, plus he could wear it on a Rubber B too as he likes the Oysterflex on the new YM.

But I note that reference was quietly discontinued this year and available for some £8k-£9k under the £30,450 list price as a late used/unworn example in the market. I guess it was discontinued by Rolex as it wasn't a decent seller allied to the fact their newer Stainless Steel models (on bracelet admittedly) made the WG offering somewhat redundant perhaps?

Would this model now be seen as "not a good thing" perhaps? We all know that when most Rolex models are discontinued the price goes North, not South, so in that there is possibly the answer?? Personally really love the Skydweller (have the Blue dial S/S) and think in all of it's variants it is one of the very best all round watches that Rolex make these days. Appreciate some thoughts to add to my own so that I can offer him a more rounded view/direction to head.

Thank you TZ.

Master
    One of the main visual changes from old to new was from numerals to batons. This distinguished the precious metal models from the SS and TT. There are also different dial colours, and of course the rubber vs croc.

Personally I prefer the old model, and had the rose gold with chocolate dial, and bought a Rubber B (from Kerry) which I think dressed it down, but nice to have the choice of both.

There were far better discounts available on the older model when I was looking (a year back), so in my opinion is a better choice if concerned with resale. The fact that it looks visually different to the SS given the numerals is also a plus, and should help resale.

Thanks Marcel.

Your thoughts echo some of mine here. For some reason I was not a fan of the numerals on the Rose Gold with chocolate dial (sorry!) but I do really like it on the White Gold model in question. I've put him onto a re-seller who has, what looks on paper ideal, but he needs to do some due diligence on the guy who is selling on behalf of a customer.

I do agree that the numerals for precious metal versions does give a point of difference to the S/S versions, as do the Roman numeral versions. My personal favourite model is the all Everose with new Rhodium dial on bracelet....but I'm just not in that £££££ market these days!

Will update if he manages to get the right answers/does the deal.

Master
    No need to apologise Gareth as I have already sold it

It took quite a lot of time before I was able to find one at the right price, and ended up buying from a dealer in Maastricht who had acquired from a Luxembourg AD, that was around 1 week old (I got around 30% off RRP). Clearly they were not big sellers at RRP (or even with the available discount), and the one in my local AD was sat there for several years (may still be there now).

I quite like the all everose GMT, but I think the skydweller with a gold bracelet would be a bit much - not going to be a problem for me either as they are another 10k on top or so of the strap models.