closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Moping hound

Moping hound

Picked up the 1yo hound from dog the sitters today after two weeks away.

Thought the daft sod would be going mental after not seeing us for a while, but quite the opposite. He’s done nothing but mince and mope about the house since arriving home.

He’s a poncy cockapoo, mongrel by design, but pedigree parents.

Never had a hound before, is this to be expected?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Punishing you for leaving him mate .
    Mine took weeks to come out of his huff

Unfortunately, you can’t explain it to the dog that you will be back after some time, so he/she probably had a separation anxiety..

The right technique to ease it I believe is to leave him/her for a longer periods of time starting from a few minutes to hours and days, so they would know that you’re coming back as pure sod prolly lost all hope..

PS any pix of the beastie?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

My life takes me away from home regularly. I would not dream of keeping a single dog. My little pack of hounds go everywhere together. They enjoy their time at home with me and Mrs Draft but are equally happy going to the boarding kennels which they treat as a second home. The kennels owners themselves are amazing dog lovers which helps- here is the tribute they posted a couple of weeks ago when we sadly had to let our oldest pack member go the way of the terminal needle: https://www.facebook.com/12330134108...738673?sfns=mo

Master
    Blog Entries
    You wait till they get older, our Westi is 12 and very fit but she is so grumpy and mops around all day

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    You wait till they get older, our Westi is 12 and very fit but she is so grumpy and mops around all day
    Saves buying a vileda I suppose

Master
    My greyhound was never bothered about going in kennels or coming out of them!

He’s sulked off to bed now, I’ll try and illicit a photo tomorrow, but it seems this is not uncommon, which is reassuring.

He loves the one day a week at the dog sitters, I guess 15 days is a different matter.

We only left Nipper in kennels a few times when he was younger, each time we expected him to be all over us when we collected him, truth was it took about 3-4 days for him to forgive us.
    Still missing you Nipper. RIP.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Sorry, I think he just likes the dog sitters more than he likes you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    My greyhound was never bothered about going in kennels or coming out of them!
    Bet he ran like buggary when they opened the gate though...

Grand Master
    Interesting. when I was a kid we had a boxer dog, she had to go in kennels when we took holidays and she used to sulk for a few days on returning home. Initially she would be pleased to see us but would then become withdrawn and ‘sulk’.

I look after stepdaughters labrador sometimes, I’ve had him for a few days at a time when they’re away, and he’s fine when he goes back. He’s a fairly miserable-looking dog so it’s hard to tell when he’s sulking or happy, we all joke about him looking sad!

One of my three dogs has separation anxiety issues. They are all Golden Retrievers and apparently it can be quite common, as they are very person-orientated. When I return after a couple of days away from home, he will not leave my side for a few days.
    The other two dogs and my wife are still with him, in his own home, but he just doesn't like it when I go away.

When we returned from a long weekend, he started to hide our shoes down the bottom of the garden, as he associated us putting our shoes on with the fact that we were just about to leave him. They are smart cookies, but can also be very sensitive - generally made worse by us spoiling them rotten.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Mave is fine with dogsitters. She's at my friends at the moment having a ball with her chihuahua.
    My previous dog was also great with dogsitters and didnt sulk, BUT, has a 24 hour record for moping when i ate tomato soup without putting any into her bowl.. she used to preface this by falling onto the floor with her back to me as if expiring from annoyance.
    They can pout just as well as humans

A friend of mine returned from holiday. The cat sat down next to her. She went to stroke it, and got a massive slash down her arm. Cat got up and walked off, satisfied that its point had been made thoroughly enough.

We have a dog sitter come and stay at our house rather than them go away. Much happier that way, and it leaves us feeling less likely to be burgled as the house is lived in and the dogs still bark if they see something.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    A friend of mine returned from holiday. The cat sat down next to her. She went to stroke it, and got a massive slash down her arm. Cat got up and walked off, satisfied that its point had been made thoroughly enough.

God I hate cats. And people who like cats.

Master
    Unfortunately, you can’t explain it to the dog that you will be back after some time, so he/she probably had a separation anxiety..

The right technique to ease it I believe is to leave him/her for a longer periods of time starting from a few minutes to hours and days, so they would know that you’re coming back as pure sod prolly lost all hope..
    Exactly this.

It'll take some time to get the trust back.
    My daughter did the same with her Alsation, despite my best advice to take her to a kennels for a few hours one day, then a full day, then a couple of days, she left it for 10 days.
    Broke it's heart basically. Only just now getting back to normal, but I don't think it will ever be the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Mave is fine with dogsitters. She's at my friends at the moment having a ball with her chihuahua.
    My previous dog was also great with dogsitters and didnt sulk, BUT, has a 24 hour record for moping when i ate tomato soup without putting any into her bowl.. she used to preface this by falling onto the floor with her back to me as if expiring from annoyance.
    They can pout just as well as humans
    My dogs go through life with perfect equanimity, as already posted.

My parrots on the other hand definitely do the pouty thing when I go away. It actually starts before I travel because they recognise the warning signs (principally the disappearance of the dogs to the boarding kennels). Have you ever seen a parrot pout? They excel at it.

This is Otis:

Seems a bit brighter today. He has been on shorter stays at the dog sitters, perhaps the duration has had an impact, either that or he prefers it round there with his ‘dog mates’.

I think the OH is thinking he needs a canine companion!

Master
    since separating from my wife our cavalier refuses to walk with anyone but me- She doesn't really go crazy when I turn up but goes straight to her lead

Craftsman
    Left our Cockapoo with friends while we went away for 10 days recently. Last year it was for a week. Same issue as the OP, mopes about for a few days to prove a point and then gets over herself.

She has, however, gone back to eating socks. Ate three at the friends place and two since she'd been back, and when I say eat I don't mean chew to bits and gradually consume, I mean whole in one go.

Similar thing to the hiding shoes comment I guess. She waits a couple of days before puking them back up. Lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Sorry, I think he just likes the dog sitters more than he likes you.

My two go mental when collected but then one of them does like to sulk a little once back in the house. That lasts until he wants feeding then he forgets to be a grump.

Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    This is Otis:

Seems a bit brighter today. He has been on shorter stays at the dog sitters, perhaps the duration has had an impact, either that or he prefers it round there with his ‘dog mates’.

I think the OH is thinking he needs a canine companion!

Very cute

Fas est ab hoste doceri