closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex kept the old bracelet

Craftsman

Rolex kept the old bracelet

A couple of years ago I sold a lovely 16760 GMT to the husband of a friend at work. He loves this watch and recently sent it off for a new bracelet and clasp after he damaged the clasp. So I'm told he's got it back by my friend and in conversation, she tells me that Rolex kept the old bracelet. I asked why and she said it was their policy as they don't want these things in the second hand market.

Is this right?? It seems to me that they've kept his property. If he'd sent the watch head off on its own he'd still have both. It just doesn't seem right.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    It sounds like he’s bought the new bracelet on “exchange basis” so they will keep the old one.

They used to offer a higher price for you to keep the old one, ie not an exchange, but I don’t know if you can still do this.

Master
    They keep the old bracelet to prevent you selling it on to some scrote who will use it for a frankenwatch. It's a good idea and it protects everyone. Be grateful that they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    They keep the old bracelet to prevent you selling it on to some scrote who will use it for a frankenwatch. It's a good idea and it protects everyone. Be grateful that they do it.
    It's not their property to retain?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

If you had head-only presumably you would pay a higher price to get a new bracelet fitted. They're not going to turn you away just because you don't have an old one to exchange.
    "A man of little significance"

Has he bought a new bracelet or paid to have the bracelet replaced?
    If the former, tell him to go in and ask for his property back but he may well have done the latter, knowingly or not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    It's not their property to retain?
    You got over 35,000 posts on here and you come out with a statement like that. You know full well that if you want an exchange whatever, Rolex will keep the old one. If you want to keep the old one, you can, but they won't sell you a new one. Your choice, take it or leave it.

I don't want old stuff available to scrotes, Rolex don't either and neither should you.

Master
    I bought a bracelet off this forum for my 16660. Wish I'd known in advance that I was a scrote creating a frankenwatch.

Last I checked, for certain items rolex were more than happy to let you keep the original part in exchange for paying more for the reolacent.

Craftsman
    Ok understood. I don't think they made this clear to him but at least he hasn't been done.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    I bought a bracelet off this forum for my 16660. Wish I'd known in advance that I was a scrote creating a frankenwatch.

Last I checked, for certain items rolex were more than happy to let you keep the original part in exchange for paying more for the reolacent.
    I too have bought second hand links on here so I'm in the club as well.

You got over 35,000 posts on here and you come out with a statement like that. You know full well that if you want an exchange whatever, Rolex will keep the old one. If you want to keep the old one, you can, but they won't sell you a new one. Your choice, take it or leave it.

I don't want old stuff available to scrotes, Rolex don't either and neither should you.
    I actually could not care less Mick.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I actually could not care less Mick.
    That's great, so problem over.

In October 2018 I called into RSC St. James Square and purchased a bracelet for my 16700, as the existing one was a bit stretched.

I now have two bracelets. There was no alternative pricing for a replacement, with Rolex to keep the original. “We don’t do that with bracelets, we sell you a new one and you keep the old one”.

If there has been a change in policy, it is a new policy.

To Shropshire Lad, did the watch go through a AD to get the new bracelet? I bet it did and they kept the old one. I said this recently in another thread, my dad sent his Speedy in for a refurb via a AD and didn’t get the old parts back, send it to Bienne yourself and you do.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Nudge nudge, wink wink. Those eBay and Chrono-shop parts sellers have to get their stock somehow.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    To Shropshire Lad, did the watch go through a AD to get the new bracelet? I bet it did and they kept the old one. I said this recently in another thread, my dad sent his Speedy in for a refurb via a AD and didn’t get the old parts back, send it to Bienne yourself and you do.
    Yes, he went through their local AD.

Master

Uninformed tripe as usual.
    I have ordered up 2 93150 bracelets in the last couple of years for a 5513 and a 1665
    At no point was I asked to give up the original bracelets .

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Lad View Post
    A couple of years ago I sold a lovely 16760 GMT to the husband of a friend at work. He loves this watch and recently sent it off for a new bracelet and clasp after he damaged the clasp. So I'm told he's got it back by my friend and in conversation, she tells me that Rolex kept the old bracelet. I asked why and she said it was their policy as they don't want these things in the second hand market.

Is this right?? It seems to me that they've kept his property. If he'd sent the watch head off on its own he'd still have both. It just doesn't seem right.

I have had this happen to me many years ago - I insisted that I had my old bracelet back, which they did in fact return.

I understand asking for your old dial back can be more difficult - but I have achieved this with a GMT fat lady a couple of years ago.... but made it a pre-requisite before the watch was sent away.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Uninformed tripe as usual.
    I have ordered up 2 93150 bracelets in the last couple of years for a 5513 and a 1665
    At no point was I asked to give up the original bracelets .
    Two years ago, in a moment of madness, I decided to buy a new bezel for my 1655. St James insisted on keeping the old one and would not sell me a new one unless I agreed to letting them keep the old one. I decided to ponder on it for a while and then decided to keep the old one on. However the point is that Rolex said they would keep the old one or no deal. So sorry to disappoint you but not uninformed tripe.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Two years ago, in a moment of madness, I decided to buy a new bezel for my 1655. St James insisted on keeping the old one and would not sell me a new one unless I agreed to letting them keep the old one. I decided to ponder on it for a while and then decided to keep the old one on. However the point is that Rolex said they would keep the old one or no deal. So sorry to disappoint you but not uninformed tripe.
    The probably thought you looked like a scrote and decided not to risk selling it to you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    The probably thought you looked like a scrote and decided not to risk selling it to you.
    Yes that is a possibility.

Master
    Yeh
    Bezel not a bracelet ,though again I've picked up a Pepsi insert of the AD without sending the old one back.
    As usual you present your opinion as an unerring fact when in reality people have found differing experiences with bezels and the likes.
    Regards bracelets then do you think Rolex would refuse to supply a bracelet for say a 5513 if someone turned up with it on a Nato?

Master
    Yeh
    Bezel not a bracelet ,though again I've picked up a Pepsi insert of the AD without sending the old one back.
    As usual you present your opinion as an unerring fact when in reality people have found differing experiences with bezels and the likes.
    Regards bracelets then do you think Rolex would refuse to supply a bracelet for say a 5513 if someone turned up with it on a Nato?
    Sorry but you are waffling.

I have a 16710 which I bought with a black bezel. I bought a red/black bezel and was allowed to keep the old one because the 16710 could use 3 different colour bezels (black / pepsi and coke) and the owners could swap them around. They would have sold me 3 new bezels if I wanted them.

The point on the Nato is a well known security risk. Someone can take a steel bracelet off a Rolex and replace it with a Nato. Then they ask St James to for a new bracelet because the Nato is non original. Rolex have to trust that they are telling the truth.

The next day the old bracelet is up for sale. Big weakness in the system.

Banned
    I had an old 6694 dial swapped out and insisted I got the old dial back...St Jame Sq sent the old dial and hands back to me with the serviced watch.

This was a few years ago mind.

Master
    Sorry but you are waffling.

I have a 16710 which I bought with a black bezel. I bought a red/black bezel and was allowed to keep the old one because the 16710 could use 3 different colour bezels (black / pepsi and coke) and the owners could swap them around. They would have sold me 3 new bezels if I wanted them.

The point on the Nato is a well known security risk. Someone can take a steel bracelet off a Rolex and replace it with a Nato. Then they ask St James to for a new bracelet because the Nato is non original. Rolex have to trust that they are telling the truth.

The next day the old bracelet is up for sale. Big weakness in the system.
    The big weakness in the system is you being allowed to present your personal thoughts as facts on the internet.

Master
    The big weakness in the system is you being allowed to present your personal thoughts as facts on the internet.
    That is so corny it is beyond belief.

Craftsman
    Every point made in this thread could have been made without rancour .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I bought both jubilee and SEL oyster for my 16700 and got to keep old bracelet despite internet saying i couldn't do that or get even get a SEL bracelet for 16700 for the matter of the fact. Internet gromes always don't know everything and willingly shill others into believing you need to buy overpriced bracelets off Chrono24.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    I think I was there that day and overheard them say "who's this old scrote trying to top up his pension with some spare parts? Tell him to f off"

Without wanting to be argumentative, if this were the case, would this not mean that they would size bracelets when you buy a Rolex and keep any spare links?
    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    And apparently, you just couldn’t resist having a little dig either...

Go to the draft thread, it’s what it’s for.
    You’re right I should have kept quiet. I’ll delete the post.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post
    Without wanting to be argumentative, if this were the case, would this not mean that they would size bracelets when you buy a Rolex and keep any spare links?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes that is a good point. The Rolex system is far from perfect and it seems to alienate far too many customers, your point and the Nato issue are two good examples of where their retention policy is blown out of the skies.

In July I took my 1675 in to St James for service & repair and they offered optional replacement of bezel/dial/hands. When I asked if I could have the originals back they confirmed I could but there would be a 50% surcharge on each part as they price on an exchange basis. For example they charge 37.30 for the bezel insert but if I want original back they will charge additional 18.65. (Ex VAT).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribena36 View Post
    In July I took my 1675 in to St James for service & repair and they offered optional replacement of bezel/dial/hands. When I asked if I could have the originals back they confirmed I could but there would be a 50% surcharge on each part as they price on an exchange basis. For example they charge 37.30 for the bezel insert but if I want original back they will charge additional 18.65. (Ex VAT).

Seems to fit in with what MickP said.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribena36 View Post

That is crazy. So for the princely sum of £18.65 you could retain your old bezel and then flog it to a franken builder. Oh well, that's life I suppose.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Seems to fit in with what MickP said.
    To be fair, I was quoting my 16710 where the original buyer could purchase 3 different bezels at the same time. Therefore there would have been no restrictions. The restriction applied to model related bezels.

Lost the will to post. Just imagine I agree or disagree to suit your mood.
    Gray

Master
    That is crazy. So for the princely sum of £18.65 you could retain your old bezel and then flog it to a franken builder. Oh well, that's life I suppose.
    This is an interesting point and worthy of discussion and opinions will vary.
    Bracelet and bezel insert replacements where someone will put a period correct replacement on their vintage watch is not viewed badly and is merely bringing the watch back to it's original look.
    My interpretation,and I'm quite willing to be corrected on this is that a Franken is more where a movement is non matching to the case.
    Obviously all original to the watch for say a 4 digit reference is the holy grail however if not possible a period correct replacement is certainly not seen as bad form.

Had 5 digit gmt2 serviced within the last few months via St.James’s. Agreed to bracelet replacement. Watch came back with the new one fitted but without the original. I questioned it and requested the original....the response (from Paul, I think his names was) “Yes, no problem. We’ll need a couple of days to have to have it sent back from the archive (...or similar). Collected it a few weeks later when I picked up my sub from its service...
    No surcharge, part ex or increased cost from the original quote.

OP, just ring Rolex and ask them. It's possible they offered an exchange strap for a lower cost, however this is a new one on me. If this is not the case and full price was paid then your friend is entitled to have the old one returned.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Out of interest, doesn't buying a bracelet from rolex mean you now have a franken? I mean it's not the bracelet that originally came with the watch. So no different to someone with a head only watch buying someone else's bracelet to fit on their watch. Is any watch with service replacement parts also a franken?

This is all of course assuming Mick is talking sense

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    OP, just ring Rolex and ask them. It's possible they offered an exchange strap for a lower cost, however this is a new one on me. If this is not the case and full price was paid then your friend is entitled to have the old one returned.
    This exactly.
    There was no discussion of ‘exchange’ when I dropped mine off, or accepted the quote, or requested the old one back for that matter.

Craftsman
    Ok so what if you lost the bezel or bracelet and wanted a replacement ?! Tough luck ? Don’t think so .

Master
    That point has already been discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    Every point made in this thread could have been made without rancour .

So, after Luke Skywalker killed it?

Craftsman
    Thank you to all those that replied and who know what they are talking about.

I'm going to recommend my friend goes back to the AD and ask them to confirm what the relevant two tier prices are, i.e. new bracelet or exchange bracelet. I'll suggest he asks for the old bracelet back if there isn't compete clarity on this front.

When I enquired about a sub bracelet I was quoted £1950 but a core exchange discount price of £1400.

I don't think you have an option other then exchange unless the bracelet is lost etc - then you need to pay the premium.

Master
    I paid £1550 for a glidelock bracelet just a few months ago. No problem for my AD to order it - didn't have to exchange anything - just a simple straight purchase. Been on my Explorer 2 16570 ever since.

Whilst I’m very anti any kind of fake, or fake parts - I think the fake Rolex parts issue is rather less worrying than fake aircraft parts, fake car brake parts etc. I’m rather more concerned at my holiday plane falling out of the sky than a fake spring bar giving way on someone’s man jewellery. Let’s keep it in perspective hey?!!

Craftsman
    I picked a jubilee bracelet for my GMT yesterday from my AD. No exchange just straight purchase