closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Antisocial teenagers and their antisocial parents

Antisocial teenagers and their antisocial parents

Hi all,

Looking for peoples thoughts on how to deal with the above?
    Long story short, house backs on to a field, after kids bedtime the teenagers show up, regardless of their standard of behaviour the police don’t have the man power to deal, the parents don’t know or don’t care what they’re up to and you can’t take the law in to your own hands.

What do you do?

For extra info, a verbal confrontation after a polite request to keep noise down a little resulted in threats to kill my dog, burn my house and beat me up amongst other things followed by an opportunistic jumping outside the local shops followed by an adult members of a family being aggressive towards me too. The police are involved but have already admitted it’s unlikely anything will happen.

Master
    Blog Entries
    In all honesty there is nothing that you can do, if they to get moved on by the police they’ll know it’s you that complained.

Hopefully the teens will get bored and move on like we all did in when we were younger.

Master
    I can’t offer any advice but feel for you, it must be a nightmare feeling powerless to actually do anything.
    I see it all the time, a total lack of respect for anything and everything.
    I hope you can resolve your situation, hopefully they get bored and move on soon.

And here’s me hoping someone in the bird would have a design for an undetectable napalm bomb or something!
    I genuinely fear for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    In all honesty there is nothing that you can do, if they to get moved on by the police they’ll know it’s you that complained.

Hopefully the teens will get bored and move on like we all did in when we were younger.
    The difference when I was young was despite the odd moment of gonshiteness, I respected adults, I really respected the police and had either of the former complained about me I’d have been terrified of my parents reaction!

Get an Alsatian?
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Get an Alsatian?
    I’ve got a beagle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukea View Post
    I’ve got a beagle.
    Hmmm. How fierce is it?

I'm sorry, it must be a really rough situation to be in, it's not a joking matter. I was actually mostly serious about the Alsatian too.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Hmmm. How fierce is it?

I'm sorry, it must be a really rough situation to be in, it's not a joking matter. I was actually mostly serious about the Alsatian too.
    He’s a complete soft arse!
    Tbh I know there’s nothing that can be done really but was hoping for some good ideas and light humour!

Get him a muzzle, if the scrotes threatened to poison your dog you do not want him to pick up anything in the garden or when out and about.. it will also counter any claim that you set the dog on them. E7 - E5.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

What about one of those sound generators that kids and teenagers can hear but find really annoying, they used to use them to stop kids lottering, they may be illegal now but I bet they could be found.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    What about one of those sound generators that kids and teenagers can hear but find really annoying, they used to use them to stop kids lottering, they may be illegal now but I bet they could be found.

I was working in a customers house and she had 3 of these fitted on her property, they definitely work.

Master
    Genuinely don’t antagonise them, the more angry you get the more enjoyment they’ll get. It’s nothing but entertainment for them.

It’s a sorry state of affairs but that is the way we are at present

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Genuinely don’t antagonise them, the more angry you get the more enjoyment they’ll get. It’s nothing but entertainment for them.

It’s a sorry state of affairs but that is the way we are at present
    This. The parents will be of the opinion you are somehow denying the children their freedom of expression. You know the story. The more you react the more it will end badly with someone getting hurt and/or property damaged. These people have a short attention span and will move on if they can't get a rise out of you. Those sound generators seem a good idea. They are passive and I presume can be inconspicuous. You can claim ignorance of any noise and of course the noise will only be there when it's required. Doesn't seem to be illegal but there could be an infringement of rights etc. Sounds a great bit of kit and clearly works. I couldn't hear it in the test clip so theoretically neither will the adults

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito

Craftsman
    Hire an even bigger kid to go and beat the shite out of the gobby one. Oh, forgot, not allowed to do that any more.
    Last edited by broxie; 9th August 2019 at 07:49.

What a shitty situation to be in. As others have said, I think your best option is to say and do nothing, and put up with it. The nights will be drawing in and the weather will be getting worse soon, so hopefully that will deter them.

Might it be worth fitting a couple of discreet security cameras? Not as deterrent, but just in case?

Blog Entries
    (a) As suggested above, security cameras. These are primarily for your security in case you are accused of anything that you did not do. Security of your premises is secondary. Nevertheless, make sure that the cameras immediately upload to an offsite (e.g. cloud) data store so that, even if the local recording server is stolen, you will have pictures of the thieves.

(b) As suggested above, get one (or several) high frequency sound generators such as the Mosquito. It's worth a try.

(c) Who owns the field? Is there (legitimate, of course) scope for accusation of damage to crops?

(d) Depending on field ownership and crop/livestock presence, what could be introduced to the field that would deter presence there? Weed spraying? Muck spreading?

(e) Carry a mobile phone at all times with sound recording app running. All the time. No exceptions. It's too late to go and get it when something starts.

(f) Other things I cannot say. Think hard, prepare for contingencies.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 9th August 2019 at 19:26.

Move.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately, all too often the parents are as bad if not worse than the kids, so not worth complaining. I’d move. In the meantime keep onto the police with any antisocial behaviour preferably with cctv evidence.
    Feel for you having had experience of similar years ago.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Legal option - move...

Then there's the illegal option; I'll leave that for you to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Move.

R
    Extreme, but I did this last year to get away from scrotes in a rented property. In the end they left before I completed on the new place but I moved anyway as they were nasty and just showed what could move in again.

Master
    1) get something like a ring floodlight camera for you back garden.
    2) pipe classical music through speakers in your garden when the yoots appear ( https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/...r-yobs-4953549 )
    3) follow the advice above regarding protecting yourself via information gathering.

Hopefully the classical music will drive them off or they will break into your garden and damage the speakers - captured by the floodlight cam this will give the police something to actually prosecute.

Another option would be to make the field somewhere unpleasant to hang out. Smell is a powerful sense, Putrescine isn't cheap but might be a worthwhile investment.

Can the field owner get involved or at least give you permission to make the field less attractive in non damaging ways? What are the neighbors opinions on this or is it just you that backs on to the field?

The other option would be to reinforce your fence or possibly plant some fast growing fir trees or Pyracantha to block sight and sound of the issue.

Erm, right.

OP: just move.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Extreme, but I did this last year to get away from scrotes in a rented property. In the end they left before I completed on the new place but I moved anyway as they were nasty and just showed what could move in again.

This. You can’t beat these people unless you’re prepared to be or are worse than them and prepared to fight them if necessary. They don’t understand anything else and their parents are probably the same.
    I’d move.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    This. You can’t beat these people unless you’re prepared to be or are worse than them and prepared to fight them if necessary. They don’t understand anything else and their parents are probably the same.
    I’d move.
    Exactly such people live for this nonsense as it gives them, their lives, entertainment, meaning even...the state will come down like a ton of bricks on you if you take matters into your own hands in any attempt to address it's failings. Moving might well be less aggravation/trouble in the long run.

It's a long shot but is there any way you could conceivably report this as a hate crime against you and yours, the police seem to have the manpower to deal with such things...are you in any way a 'minority', LGBT or practicioner of a particular religion, perhaps you could join the local mosque..I'm half joking but if the system won't address your legitimate complaints perhaps it's time to consider how best you could 'use' the system you've as much right as anyone else at least in theory if not in practice...just a thought.
    Last edited by Passenger; 9th August 2019 at 10:57.

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    How the frack did I miss it?! Stunning bit of kit.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Love the look of that air rifle!
    The field is owner by the council it’s generally used by dog walkers etc. The area is generally pleasant and trouble free. I understand the advice to move but it really is a nice house in a nice place.

I have Netatmo cameras outside they’re great. Look like flood lights but catch everything and upload to Dropbox. The issue is you can collect ‘evidence’ but there’s no police to do anything with it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Throw a barbecue for the local Hells angels ... lovely guys who do lots of ride outs and raise money for all sorts of charities BUT they look bloody intimidating and if local scrotes think you are friends with them I doubt you will get anymore grief.
    I speak from experience, had a right dick of a neighbour a few years ago so got my bro who’s a biker and built like an outhouse to come over with 5 of his biker mates for a barbecue.. matey boy was silent from that point on!!

Craftsman
    Move!
    Just to please some scrotes who think it's ok to intimidate people.
    Feel for you and really we all can do without the hassle but some people the only way to deal with them is with the same contempt they treat you with!
    Moving is expensive, always someone bigger and tougher to deal with it. Enough said.

Either way hope you get it sorted, not nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    Throw a barbecue for the local Hells angels ... lovely guys who do lots of ride outs and raise money for all sorts of charities BUT they look bloody intimidating and if local scrotes think you are friends with them I doubt you will get anymore grief.
    I speak from experience, had a right dick of a neighbour a few years ago so got my bro who’s a biker and built like an outhouse to come over with 5 of his biker mates for a barbecue.. matey boy was silent from that point on!!
    Did it once for a builder mate who was owed a chunk of dosh. Client was seriously delaying payment after 3 months so us and 10 other mates turned up on our Harley’s and waited whilst he miraculously received his payment.

Sometimes fear of the unknown is a great motivator.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Did it once for a builder mate who was owed a chunk of dosh. Client was seriously delaying payment after 3 months so us and 10 other mates turned up on our Harley’s and waited whilst he miraculously received his payment.

Sometimes fear of the unknown is a great motivator.
    There's nothing like a group of overweight, unfit middle aged blokes riding tinselled up Harleys to put the fear of god into anyone.

By the way, i have a Harley.

Used the local chapter (have a mate with them) when my daughter’s godmother bought her first house, as the neighbours were not making the right noises (blocking drive, lewd comments, etc.)
    It was a great house warming party.
    My friend then went next door, and explained very softly and very politely that it was better if neighbours respected each other because no one knew what would happen if they didn’t. He had a beaming smile when he turned round, having wished them a good weekend.

Vikkie never had a single reason to complain about them after.

Just goes to show that politeness brings great rewards
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    ^^^^^

Yeah, but did he look like an angry Charles Bronson in his best days?
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

You may not even have to great lengths to find one. There are ‘squirrel/cat/etc’ sonic deterrents that emit a frequency that people can still detect. It is low but you can still detect a low level electronic hiss, which gets irritating. They have PIR motion detectors and you probably want to hide them, or they’ll get smashed but worth a shot?

Also, on Amazon, you can pick up ‘wild life cameras’, which are motion activated and operate in low light using infrared; it may be worth picking one of these up for the garden. They are self contained and save photos to an SD card. A friend of mine was having issues with teenagers jumping over his back fence and messing around in his garden at night - the photo proof helped sort that.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    ^^^^^

Yeah, but did he look like an angry Charles Bronson in his best days?
    No. He is 5’8, he shaves his head most of the time, and weights 18 stone. His arms are the size of my calves. His nickname is ‘pitbull’
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Used the local chapter (have a mate with them) when my daughter’s godmother bought her first house, as the neighbours were not making the right noises (blocking drive, lewd comments, etc.)
    It was a great house warming party.
    My friend then went next door, and explained very softly and very politely that it was better if neighbours respected each other because no one knew what would happen if they didn’t. He had a beaming smile when he turned round, having wished them a good weekend.

Vikkie never had a single reason to complain about them after.

Just goes to show that politeness brings great rewards
    Love that.

Report what does happen. Get a crime number each time. Keep a diary. Record as much as you can. Contact victim support - they may have funds - certainly advice - for cctv, panic alarm, locks, bolts etc. Make it more time consuming and embarrassing for the authorities to keep ignoring you than it is for them to help you. Use media. Get help from anywhere - school, community patrol, police...
    If push comes to shove use everyday household items that are at hand if you need to defend yourself but never tell anyone that's why they are there - I was so scared for my life, my wife, the budgie, that I instinctive grabbed the first fighting axe that came to hand...
    Never state how you are are going to act, react to anyone.
    Good luck.
    Gray

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    You may not even have to great lengths to find one. There are ‘squirrel/cat/etc’ sonic deterrents that emit a frequency that people can still detect. It is low but you can still detect a low level electronic hiss, which gets irritating.
    I could still hear these alleged cat annoyers until quite recently and they certainly aren't intense/loud enough to annoy teenagers. They don't work with cats either, from what I've seen.

I understood that the USP of the Mosquito was that it was loud enough to be genuinely annoying to teenagers.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 11th August 2019 at 20:24.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Report what does happen. Get a crime number each time. Keep a diary. Record as much as you can. Contact victim support - they may have funds - certainly advice - for cctv, panic alarm, locks, bolts etc. Make it more time consuming and embarrassing for the authorities to keep ignoring you than it is for them to help you. Use media. Get help from anywhere - school, community patrol, police...
    This is good advice. I am reminded that a friend of mine was able to use the records contained in a contemporaneously-kept diary of annoyances caused by a neighbour to get the police (via her local Neighbourhood Watch) to issue a warning to the neighbour. In her particular case, the pattern and consistent nature of the annoyances could have constituted harassment. The warning assisted in getting the annoyances to cease.

It sounds like police warnings might not be sufficient in this case but the contemporaneously-kept evidence could still be very useful.

grabbed the first fighting axe that came to hand...
    Well, an actual "fighting axe" will, I would think, almost certainly get a person prosecuted if used for self defence (absurdly enough in my opinion). But genuine gardening implements, things that might reasonably be kept just inside any front or back door, can nevertheless be pretty lethal if grabbed randomly in emergency self defence (with no pre-planning whatsoever). Everything from a broom to heavy, sharp-bladed weeding tools.

Never state how you are are going to act, react to anyone.
    I agree. It is always a mistake to make any kind of threat.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    There's nothing like a group of overweight, unfit middle aged blokes riding tinselled up Harleys to put the fear of god into anyone.

By the way, i have a Harley.
    Gym bunnies actually, but very polite I hasten to add

You can’t always rely on the “nanny” state unfortunately.
    Last edited by Chinnock; 11th August 2019 at 23:40.

Thanks all :)

Master
    It's a hard situation and one that takes some work to sort out but it should be do-able. I had a similar one a few years ago in my old house when a complete wastrel moved in opposite and caused mayhem from afternoon to early morning every day. Stupidly loud music, drinking in the street and openly dealing drugs which unbelievably CID weren’t interested in because they weren’t class A.

In the end I had a few meetings with the relevant the council officer and got them to investigate from an anti-social point of view. It took three months of keeping a daily diary with photo’s and videos so that they finally had enough evidence to boot him out… after which he came back and smashed all the windows and front door.

I spoke to his landlord, the Police and even the lovely lad himself who told me to f*** off but in the end the council actually sorted it out. Have a look on your council website under the communities/neighbourhood section and look up the Anti-Social Behaviour team and if any threats have been made or nasty hate crime words have come your way you’ll be at the top of the pile asap.

Just hang in there and as hard as it is to resist, leave your balaclava and baseball bat in the shed.