closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Very Cheap, Very Accurate

Master

Very Cheap, Very Accurate

I bought myself a highly inexpensive holiday watch at the beginning of July. A Casio, the one on the left below. I set it to the precise time on the evening of July 4th and was surprised a few days later to see that it hadn't apparently budged.

35 days later it seems to have gained about 1/3 of a second.

I'm quite surprised by this, given that it's available new for a bit less than 7 from Amazon. By contrast the Seiko solar PADI diver that I bought at about the same time has gained about 3 seconds, which is more than acceptable of course.

So I've just bought another one to see how that does (pictured on the right). I'll let you know. I have applied a subtle distinguishing mark to the rear of the keeper, with a silver permanent marker.

Very decadent, buying another one just to check the timing.

Casio make great stuf at a huge price range, bracket.

Sent from my Aquaris V using tapatalk with thick fingers, declining eyesight and a small keypad.

Got a link for Amazon?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Is the dial white or cream?, whichever it is it looks good , nice looking watch.

Master
    Thanks! I'd say it's pretty plain white.

6.98 on Amazon at the moment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Colle.../dp/B000JNKABW

Be aware though that it's a small watch, with a 35mm case. Plastic and simple but not cheap and nasty. Very light and unobtrusive on the wrist.

Master
    So - after 41 days, the first Casio is still less than half a second fast. For reference I'm using the NTP-synchronised clock on my desktop PC, and my radio-synchronised wall clock. The audible tick of the clock always matches the next second on the PC clock, so I can be sure it's a consistent and accurate source.

The second Casio by contrast is about 2/3 of a second fast after 6 days.

I'll have a more definite picture after another few weeks, but provisionally it looks like the first Casio is running presently at an accuracy of about 4 seconds per year. I think that makes it the most accurate quartz wristwatch that I own, despite costing around 7 new.

The second one, as a rough estimate, is running at about 40 seconds per year - still creditable and practical for a cheap watch.

Craftsman
    Just proves that watch collecting is not about time accuracy.
    Last edited by Tiny; 14th August 2019 at 17:52.