closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real or Fake? - Glashütte Original Karree Kalender

Real or Fake? - Glashütte Original Karree Kalender

Hoping I've got a steal, but I'm guessing this is more than likely a replica.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/glashutte...72.m2748.l2648

Hopefully somebody around here will have a keen eye for Glashütte or maybe just somebody that likes playing spot the difference :p

Thoughts? Real or fake?

Master
    What about it indicates that it's a fake?

There are no visual tells, the movement looks good, it comes with paperwork, and it is not a popular or commonly-faked watch.

My concern would be more at buying a high-value item from a seller with no feedback. Plus it does seem unusually cheap. The pictures look okay, but there's no guarantee that the seller has anything to do with the watch pictured, and everything else about the auction stinks. Be careful.
    Last edited by ddm27; 8th August 2019 at 16:15.

Master
    Plus his other two listings were for Hublot Big Bangs at £3k each... as a first-time seller with no feedback.

Avoid avoid avoid.

fakes usually have pushers on calendar watches :)

it looks OK to my untrained eye.

The photos are of a real GO watch.

Whether
    a) the seller can be trusted, given limited feedback, and
    b) the watch received would be the one pictured?

I'd worry about both of those things... A braver man than me, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    Plus his other two listings were for Hublot Big Bangs at £3k each... as a first-time seller with no feedback.

Avoid avoid avoid.
    Yup, Avoid
    Seems to be a common ebay scam, zero feeback sellers with multiple high value items for sale, everyday my ebay searches are filled with bargain buys by new sellers (the listings always get pulled after a few hours)

Hopefully OP paid by paypal and the money can be recoverd.

Postage, Royal mail second class. Not convinced that would be quite sufficient insurance to cover the loss of a gold GO...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
    Postage, Royal mail second class. Not convinced that would be quite sufficient insurance to cover the loss of a gold GO...
    Yes, it's an odd trait of many of these hijacked account fake-sales that they offer absurdly inappropriate postage for their high value items.

Thanks all! No money paid yet. I asked about the delivery and got the below response. Also now followed up asking about the history of the watch and why she's selling. The whatsapp profile picture looks like a 20 year old girl - not your typical gold galshutte owner!

You know what they say, of it's too good to be true..

Reply:
    Hello, sorry I forgot to change the delivery method. I’m new to eBay and just getting used to the way of doing things. I’m also quite afraid of being scammed as people are offering me way over the price I am asking and asking me to send money requests!! Not sure your supposed to that??
    I can assure you that I will post the watch first class by recorded delivery.
    My name is Mary, 07xxxxxxxxx
    Many thanks

Another reply:

Hi, The watch belongs to my partner. He purchased it in 2000. The watch comes with certificate. He used to collect all different brands of watches. He hasn’t bought a new one in a while and decided it’s time to sell them.
    Many thanks

How much of a bargain is this?

In a sea of scammers there probably is a genuine zero rated seller with a high value watch, just how to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    How much of a bargain is this?

In a sea of scammers there probably is a genuine zero rated seller with a high value watch, just how to find them.
    Around 1/4 of the price it should be

Asked for a photo of her eBay username written on a paper with the watch. If she comes through, I'm gonna risk it!

Tell her you'll pick it up in person and pay cash. Must be worth a quick flight to Belfast if it's real.

Craftsman
    Watch is now sold, so someone has taken a punt. If it is a genuine deal then it looks a right bargain.

So the seller got back to me, proving they have the watch!

Eek!

Now my only concern is that it's a replica.

Any experts out there that can help out?

Extra images attached.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Doesnt look like a replica.

Have you not already bought it?

Everything about it looks fine except the price. If the partner is into watches sufficiently to know about GO then you'd suspect he'd know its current value.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Have you not already bought it?
    Offer has been accepted on eBay. Haven't yet sent the funds

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Everything about it looks fine except the price. If the partner is into watches sufficiently to know about GO then you'd suspect he'd know its current value.
    Yup, that's my main concern. Price is too good to be true

Honestly it'll be worth your while getting a cheap flight to Belfast to see it F2F. I suspect even the mention of that would have them running a mile if it's dodgy.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post

Why not? You are fully covered by eBay

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Why not? You are fully covered by eBay
    Very true, I just can't be doing with that extra stress/ admin in my life at the moment, hence the extra precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Honestly it'll be worth your while getting a cheap flight to Belfast to see it F2F. I suspect even the mention of that would have them running a mile if it's dodgy.

Good luck.
    I've emailed GO and the jewelers, let's see what they say. I might well fly over. Flights are cheap enough

Master
    Very true, I just can't be doing with that extra stress/ admin in my life at the moment, hence the extra precautions.

:-)

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

photos still look good to my untrained eye.

Oh man, I've wasted way too much time on this purchase. I'm not even enjoying the process, I just want to figure out how I'm being scammed!

I'm 95% sure it's a scam, just from the way she talks, but I don't know how! Let me know your thoughts!

FYI, I can't go ahead with this purchase. I've just started a new job, have very little time and my gut is screaming that it's a scam.

-----
    [10:55, 9/8/2019] Scott: Hi, it's Scott from eBay

[11:17, 9/8/2019] Ebay Seller: Hope this is ok for you. If you need anything else, please let me know

[11:50, 9/8/2019] Scott: Thanks [Seller]. Just a straight on close up photo of the back please

[11:57, 9/8/2019] Ebay Seller: I’ve just popped out, I will send when I get back in.

[15:15, 9/8/2019] Scott: Hi [Seller], thanks a lot of the extra image. I'm just going to send the image to the manufacturer to ensure it's not a replica. Should be a day or two. Sorry about this, as I said, it's a lot of money, so I want o make sure it's all ok. Will send the funds asap

[15:33, 9/8/2019] Ebay Seller: No problem, thank you

[19:35, 12/8/2019] Scott: Hi [Seller]

[19:36, 12/8/2019] Scott: ebay is showing an error

[19:36, 12/8/2019] Scott: did you change something?

[19:38, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: No I haven’t been on since we last had our conversation. I will go on now and see what the issue is. I will get back to you as soon as I have fixed the problem

[19:38, 12/8/2019] Scott: Ok, cool

[19:39, 12/8/2019] Scott: I'm ready to purchase once it's sorted

[19:40, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: I’ve just sent a payment reminder to see if this solves as when I went online it read awaiting payment. Let me know if you get it

[19:50, 12/8/2019] Scott: Still having lots of problems. The transaction isn't going through

[19:51, 12/8/2019] Scott: I could come and collect the watch in person and do a bank transfer or cash

[19:51, 12/8/2019] Scott: When are you available?

[19:51, 12/8/2019] Scott: You'd also save on eBay fees then!

[19:54, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: I will try again. I’m trying to get the issue sorted.
    Where are you based? As I’m in Belfast Monday- Thursday then Friday - Monday Gloucestershire. I could call you tomorrow once I’m at post off and let you see me posting the item and at same time you could maybe do bank transfer. I don’t want you think I’m scamming you as that’s not my nature and wouldn’t do such a thing. If you want to let me know what you think, please do 

[19:58, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: Or if you live near Gloucestershire we could meet half way when I’m back?

[19:59, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: I’ve listed the item again, just to let you know.

[19:59, 12/8/2019] Scott: Oh, why?

[20:00, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: Just to let you know that it’s still here and so you can see it. I’ll remove it ASAP

[20:00, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: It was just to let you know I haven’t done anything with it

[20:01, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: And it’s still yours

[20:01, 12/8/2019] Scott: My parents live near Gloucestershire. I could make the trip back and we could meet at a local watch dealer so they can verify the authenticity there and then. Are you happy with that plan?

[20:02, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: Yes that sound fine, shall we meet Friday morning? Where?

[20:06, 12/8/2019] Scott: do you know that the watch is worth a lot more money. Like around £8,000?

[20:07, 12/8/2019] Scott: I feel like you might be scamming me, but I can't figure out how!

[20:07, 12/8/2019] Scott: could you be honest with me. Where did the watch come from? why are you selling it? I may be still open to buying it, but only if you're honest with me

[20:11, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: To be honest I know nothing really about the watch as I said it belongs to my partner and we decided we needed to sell. I’m also in the process of trying to sell another 9 of his watches.
    I didn’t realise how much the watch was worth if you are saying £8000. If anything you are getting a real deal. I can’t prove that I’m not scamming you. If would like me to provide any other information I will gladly give you it.

[20:12, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: I know dealing online can be scary as this is the first time on eBay for me. But if just sold another watch and the guy can’t leave feedback for some reason. I’ve tried callin eBay but was on hold for 37 minutes earlier.

[20:13, 12/8/2019] Scott: What other watches are you selling?

[20:13, 12/8/2019] Scott: Does your partner know that you're selling so cheap?

[20:15, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: These ones seem very cheap compared to the other ones I have. I’ve just sold a Lange & Sohne for £40,000 I’m also in the process of selling a Breguet flying tourbillon for £58,000.

[20:15, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: We have a daytime Rolex
    Franck muller

[20:15, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: And a few other watches.

[20:16, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: The guy from eBay bought my Hublot Big Bang, not sure if this helps but he was delighted and sent some texts as he couldn’t leave feedback

[20:17, 12/8/2019] Scott: Wow! Those watches sound amazing!

[20:17, 12/8/2019] Scott: Where are you selling them? All on eBay?

[20:18, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: eBay won’t let me selling the more expensive ones, so I went to my friend who deals with watches and collectors and he’s helped me with them

[20:18, 12/8/2019] Scott: Oh, nice

[20:18, 12/8/2019] Scott: What does your partner do as a job to afford such crazy watches?

[20:19, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: He is a property developer from London

[20:19, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: He’s been collecting them years

On one hand, you're right to be cautious as it's a lot of money. And to your credit you've told the seller that it's actually worth a lot more.

On the other hand, you've committed to buy it but now have admitted you aren't going to. Have you told this to the seller? And all the questions you've asked after agreeing to buy the watch make it look like you're messing the seller around. There's no guarantee the seller is a scammer, remember! Some people just have more money than sense, or just do things differently... If I was the seller, I'd be less than happy to find out you're effectively a 'tyre kicker'.

But why hasn't the seller used the same 'friend' to sell all the watches? Wouldn't that be the simple thing to do?

Weird situation all around.

Don't worry - you are off the hook.

It has been relisted with a £2000 starting bid
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293186035...m=293186035438

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    On one hand, you're right to be cautious as it's a lot of money. And to your credit you've told the seller that it's actually worth a lot more.

On the other hand, you've committed to buy it but now have admitted you aren't going to. Have you told this to the seller? And all the questions you've asked after agreeing to buy the watch make it look like you're messing the seller around. There's no guarantee the seller is a scammer, remember! Some people just have more money than sense, or just do things differently... If I was the seller, I'd be less than happy to find out you're effectively a 'tyre kicker'.

But why hasn't the seller used the same 'friend' to sell all the watches? Wouldn't that be the simple thing to do?

Weird situation all around.
    In fairness, I've only decided after getting answers from her. I'm spooked, but I can't put my finger on why.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    Don't worry - you are off the hook.

It has been relisted with a £2000 starting bid
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293186035...m=293186035438
    Yea, it's super odd that she's done that and the explaination in our chat was confusing.

Blog Entries
    Yea, it's super odd that she's done that and the explaination in our chat was confusing.
    I rather think she has concluded that you're not going to pay so she's simply re-listed in order to sell it.

BUT... that doesn't tell you whether or not this is genuine.

Maybe actually go and meet her. Either that or just tell her outright that you've decided not to buy.

If it is a scam then she (or whoever) is very, very confident about it.

Or why not ask for the friend's name or ask where he sold the more expensive watches? That would allow you to confirm his bona fides, and thus perhaps hers.

After reading your conversation above, it looks like she has relisted the item so you could pay.
    The new listing has a "make me an offer" button.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    After reading your conversation above, it looks like she has relisted the item so you could pay.
    The new listing has a "make me an offer" button.
    But Scott could pay easily enough on the original, completed listing.

It seems to me that the only reason to create a new listing is to sell the item (genuine or otherwise) to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    But Scott could pay easily enough on the original, completed listing.

[19:36, 12/8/2019] Scott: ebay is showing an error

[19:36, 12/8/2019] Scott: did you change something?

[19:38, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: No I haven’t been on since we last had our conversation. I will go on now and see what the issue is. I will get back to you as soon as I have fixed the problem

[19:38, 12/8/2019] Scott: Ok, cool

[19:39, 12/8/2019] Scott: I'm ready to purchase once it's sorted
    Whether this was a ruse to avoid paying straight away so he could conduct due diligence or a genuine issue, the seller didn't get her cash. It could be she was just trying to help out Scott with making payment. Although,

[20:12, 12/8/2019] Ebay Seller: I know dealing online can be scary as this is the first time on eBay for me. But if just sold another watch and the guy can’t leave feedback for some reason. I’ve tried callin eBay but was on hold for 37 minutes earlier.
    Seems to know a fair bit about eBay re. relisting an item.

As I said before, weird situation all around.

Blog Entries
    the seller didn't get her cash. It could be she was just trying to help out Scott with making payment.
    But creating a new listing doesn't do anything whatsoever to help Scott make a payment on an already-completed listing. All it does is help sell the item to someone else (complete with more eBay fees).

It looks most likely to me that (genuine or not) she has given up expecting Scott to pay and has moved on, although is willing to end the new listing if Scott does pay.

Even though she is purportedly new to eBay, I find it difficult to imagine she would not be aware of all this (i.e. fees, etc.).

As I said before, weird situation all around.
    Yes, very weird.

It does have a deeply suspicious feel about it, doesn't it. Hence my suggestions above about actually meeting her and/or finding out who her high value watch-selling friend is. If he is real then he'd be an ideal way to validate her bona fides.

If Scott does decide to meet her then I'd suggest using something akin to the warrant canary methodology: Let us (or someone actually trustworthy!) know when he is going and if we/they do NOT hear back from him within, say, 72 hours of his notification then we/they should take appropriate action. ;-)

Blog Entries
    Is there a single group doing some organised eBay scamming at the moment?

I've been looking at cameras on eBay and saw this camera scam that ended last night: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-Pow...-/183908077527

Similarities to this probable watch scam:
    (1) Low feedback seller. In the case of the camera the seller has one feedback only as a buyer of sweets.

(2) Very brief one line description. The camera description and the watch description (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293186035438) are in fact remarkably similar:
    Watch:
    "glashutte watch. Condition is Used. Dispatched with Royal Mail 2nd Class. Comes with original box and papers"
    Camera:
    "Canon PowerShot SX730 HS 20.3 MP Digital Camera - Black. Condition is Used. Dispatched with Royal Mail 1st Class."

(As an aside, this camera is misdescribed. The camera in the pictures is a 'SX720 HS', not a 'SX730 HS'.)

(3) The camera seller sold an identical camera (same serial number), sale ending on 26/07/2019, item 183891120257. On that occasion the camera was strangely correctly described as a 'SX720 HS'. They have received no feedback for that sale. The watch seller is now in effect doing exactly the same thing here by relisting the watch.

Not coincidences, I suspect, especially the wording of those over-brief descriptions.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 13th August 2019 at 12:30. Reason: Added links

Yes but the price differential made this one quite a bit more attractive. Surely you wouldn't see a watch for £2k and think, oh I'd better rush down the AD and pay £8k without even a passing consideration for the cheap one?

The OP took his passing consideration further in the pursuit of a great watch at a bargain price and has been understandably cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    This is precisely why I prefer to pay RRP from an AD, much less stressful

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    So what are the risks of buying hooky from eBay? I always understood they sided on the buyer's side of things?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    So what are the risks of buying hooky from eBay? I always understood they sided on the buyer's side of things?
    I'd say that they decide on the side of the person who has followed the rules. They usually seem to side with the buyer but they side with the seller too, when appropriate.

All the same, eBay protection is all very well but there are always uncertainties and risks and it is better by far to avoid sending your money to dodgy sellers in the first place!

F2F is the only way with this - meet in public and take a mate along oh and take the cash - no bank transfer malarky

The watch looks legit but the seller doesnt... its either nicked or the partner is going to be in for a shock when he gets back .... she might be selling them without his consent.

Blog Entries

I've been looking at cameras on eBay and saw this camera scam that ended last night: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-Pow...-/183908077527

(1) Low feedback seller. In the case of the camera the seller has one feedback only as a buyer of sweets.

(2) Very brief one line description. The camera description and the watch description (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293186035438) are in fact remarkably similar:
    Watch:
    "glashutte watch. Condition is Used. Dispatched with Royal Mail 2nd Class. Comes with original box and papers"
    Camera:
    "Canon PowerShot SX730 HS 20.3 MP Digital Camera - Black. Condition is Used. Dispatched with Royal Mail 1st Class."

(As an aside, this camera is misdescribed. The camera in the pictures is a 'SX720 HS', not a 'SX730 HS'.)

(3) The camera seller sold an identical camera (same serial number), sale ending on 26/07/2019, item 183891120257. On that occasion the camera was strangely correctly described as a 'SX720 HS'. They have received no feedback for that sale. The watch seller is now in effect doing exactly the same thing here by relisting the watch.

Not coincidences, I suspect, especially the wording of those over-brief descriptions.
    And another very similar one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254329303712

Craftsman

Watch:
    Camera:

Not commenting on the eBay watch in this thread, but rather the brief eBay description.
    When you list on eBay, it automatically finds items of a similar description and inputs it into your advert for ease, then allows you to add further descriptions as you see fit.

It can be frustrating to start listing an item, then to remove the automatic “condition is used, will be shipped by Royal Mail second class” and then add your own description and postal options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    When you list on eBay, it automatically finds items of a similar description and inputs it into your advert for ease, then allows you to add further descriptions as you see fit.

It can be frustrating to start listing an item, then to remove the automatic “condition is used, will be shipped by Royal Mail second class” and then add your own description and postal options.
    Bear in mind that the two items mentioned in the message you quote are a watch and a camera, so very different things. And yet the descriptions were still remarkably similar, and both looked like scams. It's also trivial to enter one's own description for an item, of course, if you're doing a genuine listing.

TOTAL SCAM !

Pretending to be female is trick used all the time by bad guys.

For the money you are saving (lol) you can afford to go to Belfast and do F2F - but I'd advise taking a very big (and hard) friend with you.

I know there's a lot of good fakes of the Rolex but I wasn't aware they copy lesser know brands (for the general public) like Glashutte too. Wow.

So to wrap this up, eBay just messaged me:

"We're writing to let you know that we've removed an item you recently won due to concerns with the seller's account:
    293180617487 - glashutte watch"

I should have known better! I'm sticking to the sales corner from now on!

Thanks all, lessons learnt.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    I know there's a lot of good fakes of the Rolex but I wasn't aware they copy lesser know brands (for the general public) like Glashutte too. Wow.
    Don’t think people are suggesting it’s a fake, more that the seller isn’t gonna hand over the watch. I.e. it’s a scam.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    As already indicated it looks like the scam that's the subject of this thread involved a photo of a genuine Glashutte but yes, there are Glashutte fakes. As well as IWC, Vacheron Constantin, Girard-Perregaux, Hublot, AP, Blancpain etc etc. This isn't a real one: