closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On a slightly more serious note.....a tale for the Rolex fans

I am fairly confident if you were to call around several AD's you would locate a OP36 within the day. I was told something similar regarding lack of avaliability when purchasing a OP39 black dial but after calling 5 or 6 different stores i collected one later that day.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 9th August 2019 at 16:54.

I'm very tempted by the one on Iconic but the clasp on the bracelet looks a bit chunky for the rest of the watch. Can anyone comment on having seen one in the flesh?

Cheers,
    Adam.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Craftsman

This is from my wife’s 34mm it sits close to the bracelet so I wouldn’t describe it as chunky personally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I am fairly confident if you were to call around several AD's you would locate a OP36 within the day. I was told something similar regarding lack of avaliability when purchasing a OP39 black dial but after calling 5 or 6 different stores i collected one later that day.

I should’ve bought your OP36 last year.......I remember soaking in the bath and thinking it over, getting out and looking on the computer with a view to buying it ( or haggling), only to see it had sold!

I’m still hopeful of finding a used one at sensible money, really don’t want to pay over £4k.

Apologies in advance but this is what nowadays gets called Economics 101: a monopolist maximises profits by limiting supply to below the competitive level.

Having come to the conclusion that a GMT was the right watch to mark my wedding, but knowing it's unobtainable, I went to my local Goldsmiths to find out what the real likelihood of getting one was. They young lady was lovely, professional, and spoke at some length about the BLNR BLRO options. She was also very open about the huge rise in demand, the daily calls asking for that particular model, and that purchase history was a factor. Now my only history is my 16610 from almost 10 years ago, so long infact that I don't appear on their computer! Well the upshot is that I'm on their central "expression of interest" list, and when I asked how long it might take, the answer was "maybe 2 years".

I'll take 2 years, I'm patient, and not in a hurry. It was certainly not what I expected, which was rolling of the eyes, and the list is closed. It was a very positive experience.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Get a vintage DJ Paul.

Plenty about at decent prices.
    For the list price of one new datejust, I have 2 1601s. One fluted and one smooth bezel - both keep excellent time and are suitable for daily wear. They also get a lot of compliments.

I’d go vintage DJ or 36mm explorer.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Yesterday I stopped off in Doncaster to get beaten up by the chiropractor. Not my favourite town but I’ve always enjoyed walking through the town centre which, amongst the betting shops and pie shops has more than its fair share of pawnbrokers and secondhand jewellers. In the past there’s always been a fair selection of pre-owned Rolex, admittedly plenty of tired DJs with the usual brewer’s droop bracelet, worn out old 6694s etc - but usually also a smattering of sports models.

Anyway, yesterday not a single five-point crown in sight. Nada. Nichts.

In similar vein, earlier this year my local pawnbroker in Woolwich had a worn but basically ok 36mm Explorer sitting in his window for quite a few months, priced at £3850. He politely declined my cash offer of £3.6k a couple of months ago. Last time I passed not only was it gone but not a single other Rolex on display. And a cursory glance at Chrono24 shows virtually no Explorer 1 the right side of £4k.

I guess it was inevitable that the scarcity of new models would have a knock-on effect on the regular, non Burlington Arcade level used market. I’m glad I have most of the ones I want. I won’t be selling any.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Having come to the conclusion that a GMT was the right watch to mark my wedding, but knowing it's unobtainable, I went to my local Goldsmiths to find out what the real likelihood of getting one was. They young lady was lovely, professional, and spoke at some length about the BLNR BLRO options. She was also very open about the huge rise in demand, the daily calls asking for that particular model, and that purchase history was a factor. Now my only history is my 16610 from almost 10 years ago, so long infact that I don't appear on their computer! Well the upshot is that I'm on their central "expression of interest" list, and when I asked how long it might take, the answer was "maybe 2 years".

I'll take 2 years, I'm patient, and not in a hurry. It was certainly not what I expected, which was rolling of the eyes, and the list is closed. It was a very positive experience.

Dave
    The frequent problem, though, is that anyone like that tends to move on from Goldsmiths, and that when you go back in in a few months, a different person will make less reassuring noises, query the list, or quote a longer wait etc. I hope I'm wrong for your sake, of course.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    The frequent problem, though, is that anyone like that tends to move on from Goldsmiths, and that when you go back in in a few months, a different person will make less reassuring noises, query the list, or quote a longer wait etc. I hope I'm wrong for your sake, of course.
    Have had similar Goldsmiths experiences I must say.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    For the list price of one new datejust, I have 2 1601s. One fluted and one smooth bezel - both keep excellent time and are suitable for daily wear. They also get a lot of compliments.

I’d go vintage DJ or 36mm explorer.
    Yes, vintage offers a different angle, doesn't it. Much better value... well, it has been up until now. But I suspect that vintage is going to rocket in price too.

That said, I had a two tone vintage DJ for a while. Whilst it was a very good looking watch which I liked, I felt that the acrylic crystal and (perhaps more importantly for me) the non-quickset date somehow held it back in my mind. Having to set the date after a time away from my wrist was more time consuming than I liked. I decided that next time I bought a DJ it would be one with a quickset date. Although availability could turn out to be an issue for the time being.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 14th August 2019 at 18:11. Reason: Typo fix

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Yesterday I stopped off in Doncaster to get beaten up by the chiropractor. Not my favourite town but I’ve always enjoyed walking through the town centre which, amongst the betting shops and pie shops has more than its fair share of pawnbrokers and secondhand jewellers. In the past there’s always been a fair selection of pre-owned Rolex, admittedly plenty of tired DJs with the usual brewer’s droop bracelet, worn out old 6694s etc - but usually also a smattering of sports models.

Anyway, yesterday not a single five-point crown in sight. Nada. Nichts.

In similar vein, earlier this year my local pawnbroker in Woolwich had a worn but basically ok 36mm Explorer sitting in his window for quite a few months, priced at £3850. He politely declined my cash offer of £3.6k a couple of months ago. Last time I passed not only was it gone but not a single other Rolex on display. And a cursory glance at Chrono24 shows virtually no Explorer 1 the right side of £4k.

I guess it was inevitable that the scarcity of new models would have a knock-on effect on the regular, non Burlington Arcade level used market. I’m glad I have most of the ones I want. I won’t be selling any.
    Very interesting and perhaps not surprising (even though I do find myself somehow surprised).

This way lies a Rolex recession! No one selling, no one trading, limitations on new supply vs. demand... it's a global crash I tell you!

I'm looking at the blue dial in stock in at T2 Heathrow £4100 EU or £3417. Lots of 36mm DJ's and a handful of DJ41's.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    My Ad has a Rhodium 39mm and a Blue dial.. both available as of yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Just been into goldsmiths in Newcastle and they have one in the window at £4100 if it's any use?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    Just been into goldsmiths in Newcastle and they have one in the window at £4100 if it's any use?
    Just came on here to post the same! It's the branch in Eldon Sq by the way.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Please tell me when faced with the rebuttal you didn’t respond with DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM !
    Ronnie Pickering??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    Apologies in advance but this is what nowadays gets called Economics 101: a monopolist maximises profits by limiting supply to below the competitive level.
    Shhh. Let them think they are special.

Called into my local AD this lunch time. Big birthday coming up soon, so I'm working out my options.

Decided I want a black dial milgauss gv... You know... They one they can never sell that's always in the window.

18 month 'expression of interest' list!

Tried a local preowned dealer 10 minutes later. They have an unworn z blue dial milgauss for a grand over RRP!

Back to the drawing board for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    Ronnie Pickering??

That vid was quite funny 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I don’t think it’ll help I’m afraid... I’m in the N West. Unless you’re prepared to go in and actually talk with them, they won’t entertain requests over the phone.

I have spoken to them about the shortages, and basically, they’re only selling to local customers. They have loads of overseas visitors every week, and the manager has told me that even if by some remote chance they had a desirable piece in the safe, they wouldn’t sell it to a visitor, as they have plenty of local and repeat customers just waiting their turn.

My advice is, go and see your local AD, talk to them and don’t let them forget about you..
    This replicates my experience. Picked up my stainless steel Omega Speedmaster 50th anniversary watch today from the same AD as I've used for Rolex purchases. They have found me some great watches including a blue dialled Skydweller in 2017 and a GMT (Batman) earlier this year from the Basel 2019 collection.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I'm looking at the blue dial in stock in at T2 Heathrow £4100 EU or £3417. Lots of 36mm DJ's and a handful of DJ41's.
    That same OP 36mm Blue Dial is still there this afternoon. My Son offered them £3300 for it on the basis it’s on display and is marked. They flatly declined, so he walked away.

Master
    Yawn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    That same OP 36mm Blue Dial is still there this afternoon. My Son offered them £3300 for it on the basis it’s on display and is marked. They flatly declined, so he walked away.

I’m really not surprised they refused to discount the display model.

Pragnells did the same when I bought my Submariner in 2004.

https://johnsonsjewellers.co.uk

Paul, Nuneaton's Rolex AD have a blue OP 36 in stock. £4100.

T2 Heathrow have a blue Milgauss if anyone is interested

Terminal 5 Heathrow has a Milgauss and they also had a Date Sub. They don't have the Sub any more..... Bizarrely I'm flying to Manchester now and then on to Doha and Bangkok from Manchester tomorrow but because I showed them the online boarding passes for the Qatar Airways flight tomorrow they let me have the VAT free price! All despite the fact I'm going to Manchester now and staying overnight at an airport hotel so in pretty sure I'm VAT compliant and basically just managed to get 16.67% off a Sub Date!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Terminal 5 Heathrow has a Milgauss and they also had a Date Sub. They don't have the Sub any more..... Bizarrely I'm flying to Manchester now and then on to Doha and Bangkok from Manchester tomorrow but because I showed them the online boarding passes for the Qatar Airways flight tomorrow they let me have the VAT free price! All despite the fact I'm going to Manchester now and staying overnight at an airport hotel so in pretty sure I'm VAT compliant and basically just managed to get 16.67% off a Sub Date!

Nice work! I'm after a new sub for my son's graduation present later this year if you decide you want to sell it.

Master

You have the luck of the devil!

I stand to be corrected but I don’t think you’re vat compliant unless your receipt shows the vat element within the total paid.

Master
    Ryanb you are a lucky man! Go and buy a lottery ticket!

Master

Hi Ryan,
    Pls clear your inbox.
    Thanks!