closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On a slightly more serious note.....a tale for the Rolex fans

Grand Master

On a slightly more serious note.....a tale for the Rolex fans

Never thought I`d do this, but I tried to buy a new Rolex this week. New watches ain't my thing (usually) but the one I wanted commands strong second-hand prices and is proving hard to find.

Watch in question is the 'humble' 116000 Oyster36 with Explorer-style blue 3-6-9 dial, which retails at £4100. Easy to obtain new from an AD?........NO! Tried two in West Yorkshire and was told they won`t get one in before early 2020, both claimed they'd sold their allocation of this model for 2019 already and 2020 was the earliest they'd get another. Same story from both, so I`m inclined to believe it. Tried a larger AD based in Leeds (Prestons) and was told they may be able to get one prior to New Year, but it was likely to be a few months. I`m now on their 'list'........maybe I should feel honoured?

Seriously, it appears the Rolex shortage has now gone way beyond the steel sports stuff. Strange but true. Being an old cynic I took the 'shortage' stories with a huge pinch of salt, now I`ve had my mind changed.

Iconic currently have a 2018 unworn model for sale at £200 over list, but that's not a game I`ll play.

Guess I`ll be going without for a while longer, over the years I`ve always ended up with the watch I want (second-hand) at a fair price........ eventually.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 8th August 2019 at 12:42.

Have you checked if any of the ADs are members here and if so what their BP contributions are?

Master
    Eventually no-one will be able to buy *any* Rolex watches (even the naff DJs everyone here belittled for years before they became scarce causing everyone to want one), the display cases will be completely empty and it will turn out that Rolex actually packed up and went on holiday last year.

I'm buying my son a Rolex as a graduation gift in December. I've chatted to my AD. He has promised me a no-date submariner by then and I'm very pleased. I will have bought four watches from him in the Last year though.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Master
    Please tell me when faced with the rebuttal you didn’t respond with DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM !

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Please tell me when faced with the rebuttal you didn’t respond with DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM !
    Yep, had that conversation, they were very apologetic for being unable to help and begged my forgiveness.

I really try to be bothered about the games Rolex like to play with us - but no matter how hard I try, I simply can't.
    Maybe I'm finally cured of my addiction!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Not sure what all the fuss is about...

I visited the local AD on 21st of July, and asked if they could get me a SubC....

I collected it last Saturday.

They had loads in the safe, BLNR’s BLRO’s Daytona’s SubLV’s.....etc etc......loads of em😈😈🤪🤪

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Watch in question is the 'humble' 116000 Oyster36 with Explorer-style blue 3-6-9 dial, which retails at £4100.
    I think the oyster perpetual is no longer so humble. It has the looks of a professional/ sports model, particularly with the 3-6-9 dial, at a more reasonable price (to the Explorer 1 and milgaus) and it "was" readily available. So if you can't get SS professional model but want a Rolex that has similar look's then the OP is the one to go for.

I've been trying to persuade myself that I want a 116000, in its red grape incarnation....

(photo pinched from a SC advert last year)

....there's something about the double markers at 3 6 and 9 that really does it for me....

....but the thickness of the domed bezel is always tempering my enthusiasm.

And four grand for tempered enthusiasm seems a bad idea.

Oh, and a domed bezel like that really deserves an ever-so-slightly domed crystal, rather than the standard Rolex flatness.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 8th August 2019 at 13:57.

Master
    ^^^^That red grape looks fantastic in natural daylight^^^^

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I've been trying to persuade myself that I want a 116000, in its red grape incarnation....

(photo pinched from a SC advert last year)

....there's something about the double markers at 3 6 and 9 that really does it for me....

....but the thickness of the domed bezel is always tempering my enthusiasm.

And four grand for tempered enthusiasm seems a bad idea.
    Agree about the domed bezel, the watch isn’t perfect, I has a 116200 Datejust with smooth bezel and I did get used to it. What I’d really like is the old-style pre 2006 36mm Oyster case/smooth bezel with the latest bracelet and the blue 3-6–9 dial, a 36mm version of the pre-2006 Air King. The 116000 comes close enough, though, and it does wear nicely.

As for the four grand price tag.....all I can say is ‘ouch’. Yes, it’s too high but at least the watch retains the majority of that value. Hell, I naively expected to haggle a few % discount and as a cheeky tight-fisted Yorky git I’d still ask the question, it’s in the DNA.

Thought I’d lined up a nice 2016 model but the owner isn’t selling so it’s time to move on.

I was once sat next to one in a coffee shop early one morning a year ago, trying desperately not to stare at it too much. That photo came from this bunch of shots: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?p=5032476

Here's the old late sixties early seventies acrylic crystal 1018 - a lot more dial, a lot less bezel:

Perhaps, one day, when the upgraded movement finally trickles down to the OP36, the design will take a step back in that direction. The current heavy dome feels to me as if they weren't expecting the model to have such unisex appeal.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 8th August 2019 at 14:17. Reason: Grammer

Master
    Just like you OP I was shocked to learn I struggled to get a DJ41 recently. I started a thread about it, you are right it is crazy. They are still easier to get than the sport models, but easy they are not!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Its the blue dial phenomenon.
    Blue/black/rhodium very hard to get hold of on any steel rolex models.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Just like you OP I was shocked to learn I struggled to get a DJ41 recently. I started a thread about it, you are right it is crazy. They are still easier to get than the sport models, but easy they are not!
    Yes and the price increases by the day which is just what Rolex want.

Master
    blimey, I got my white grape 36mm OP just by walking in less than 12 months ago...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Proves how out of touch I am, I assumed the blue dial I was after was so unpopular, having been around for years, that it was under threat of being discontinued! The new colours, such as the grape and the light champagne, don`t do it for me but I assumed they were more fashionable and thus in demand.

Can't go wrong with black, always looks sharp, but I`ve had several black dials and I still own a vintage Omega that scratches that itch.

I have a 2003 Datejust with either white or black dial (white's fitted at the moment), might try and find a blue dial for that one instead, but I`d prefer to get the OP36 and possibly let the Datejust go. Dials are getting hard to find thesedays, used to be £100 and now you struggle to find them under £300.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    blimey, I got my white grape 36mm OP just by walking in less than 12 months ago...
    I had the one I`m after on my wrist last October in Prestons (Leeds), tried to haggle a discount and almost got kicked out......2 weeks later the price went up!

PM sent OP

Master
    I was in Newcastle yesterday and of course window-shopped all the high-end jewellers by the monument. I was surprised at the window display of the one that sells Rolex - the Rolex display almost entirely consisted of Women's versions. I thought that this stock shortage must be real....
    Not that I'm bothered in the slightest!

Journeyman
    I was once sat next to one in a coffee shop early one morning a year ago, trying desperately not to stare at it too much. That photo came from this bunch of shots: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?p=5032476

Here's the old late sixties early seventies acrylic crystal 1018 - a lot more dial, a lot less bezel:

Perhaps, one day, when the upgraded movement finally trickles down to the OP36, the design will take a step back in that direction. The current heavy dome feels to me as if they weren't expecting the model to have such unisex appeal.
    That vintage one looks fantastic!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Not sure what all the fuss is about...

I visited the local AD on 21st of July, and asked if they could get me a SubC....

I collected it last Saturday.

They had loads in the safe, BLNR’s BLRO’s Daytona’s SubLV’s.....etc etc......loads of em浪浪

Thats awesome.

Would you mind sharing which AD?

I am based in the south east if that helps in any regard, I am hoping to source one as present to self to commemorate getting through some tough times. Happy to wait for a reasonable amount of time.

Get a vintage DJ Paul.

Plenty about at decent prices.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Iconic currently have a 2018 unworn model for sale at £200 over list, but that's not a game I`ll play.
    I suspect by the time you get a new one the Rolex AD price will have increased by more than £200...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RPM821 View Post
    Thats awesome.

Would you mind sharing which AD?

I am based in the south east if that helps in any regard, I am hoping to source one as present to self to commemorate getting through some tough times. Happy to wait for a reasonable amount of time.
    I don’t think it’ll help I’m afraid... I’m in the N West. Unless you’re prepared to go in and actually talk with them, they won’t entertain requests over the phone.

I have spoken to them about the shortages, and basically, they’re only selling to local customers. They have loads of overseas visitors every week, and the manager has told me that even if by some remote chance they had a desirable piece in the safe, they wouldn’t sell it to a visitor, as they have plenty of local and repeat customers just waiting their turn.

My advice is, go and see your local AD, talk to them and don’t let them forget about you..

I was passing my local AD so popped in and asked Paul. They’ve not got one but I’m now number one on their list (of one) so if I get a call before you find one, there’ll be one here waiting for you.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Get a vintage DJ Paul.

Plenty about at decent prices.
    My head agrees with you, Neil, but for somewhat irrational reasons I`ve set my heart on getting the OP36 at some point. Much as I like old watches I`ve always had a soft spot for this type of Rolex, I had an Explorer 1 for years but I actually prefer the blue dial in the Explorer 3-6-9 layout. Had an older Air King in the distant past with the same pattern, ironically I sold it and moved on to the Explorer1!

Generally, when I decide to buy a watch, I bide my time till a good deal comes along. Buying new is alien to me and I still hope to turn this model up second hand at the right money, but time slips by and it isn't happening.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I don’t think it’ll help I’m afraid... I’m in the N West. Unless you’re prepared to go in and actually talk with them, they won’t entertain requests over the phone.

I have spoken to them about the shortages, and basically, they’re only selling to local customers. They have loads of overseas visitors every week, and the manager has told me that even if by some remote chance they had a desirable piece in the safe, they wouldn’t sell it to a visitor, as they have plenty of local and repeat customers just waiting their turn.

My advice is, go and see your local AD, talk to them and don’t let them forget about you..
    No worries - thanks for the advice, I will find and keep in touch with a local AD.

Craftsman
    Pm sent

Blog Entries
    £200 over list seems hardly anything to me. If I had the money and wanted the watch I'd have paid it. Afterall, it's almost certainly going to be under list by the time of the next RRP increase which itself is likely to be before many people's promised watches come into stock at their AD.

Craftsman
    My AD has one if your interested?

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    £200 over list seems hardly anything to me. If I had the money and wanted the watch I'd have paid it. Afterall, it's almost certainly going to be under list by the time of the next RRP increase which itself is likely to be before many people's promised watches come into stock at their AD.
    I don't get involved in all this paying above rrp mularky but I'd agree that £200 over list isn't much if you want the watch. It's a fabulous watch (I nearly got one myself when they were around £3k a few years ago). Not trying to spend your money for you Paul but it's a cracking piece. I'm sure your experience is uk wide but will check availabilty with my local AD (West Mids) just in case.

Grand Master
    If it's a one and only watch, I agree that paying a tad over list might be acceptable, but not to buy a watch that'll live in a collection and share wrist time with lots of others. Buying new isn`t really 'right' for me, it goes against the grain, but there simply aren't any options to buy second-hand at a sensible price so that's why I`m considering it.

I`m far happier paying closer to £3K than 4, I can refinish any minor scratches on a used one so that isn`t a dealbreaker. What I won't do is pay over £3.5K for a watch that's 10 years old, and that's what some of the Chrono24 dealers are asking!

All depends how you view it.

When I bought my blue OP 39 about two and a half years ago, the AD even gave me a small discount without me even asking. The AD ordered it, and it took two days to arrive from somewhere in London, IIRC.

Incredibly accurate, this watch, within a second or two a week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I was so lucky to get an SS rhodium DJ41 - it was a random call to WoS Oxford Street, there it was & I broke speed records getting across London to collect it before the shop shut! Haven't taken it off since!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I don't get involved in all this paying above rrp mularky but I'd agree that £200 over list isn't much if you want the watch. It's a fabulous watch (I nearly got one myself when they were around £3k a few years ago). Not trying to spend your money for you Paul but it's a cracking piece. I'm sure your experience is uk wide but will check availabilty with my local AD (West Mids) just in case.
    Surely at £200 over lot, there’d be room to haggle a little and even if the price doesn’t come down, perhaps to find value in some other way?

Not only Rolex innit, it’s cars, high end handbags, certain 'ready to wear' haut couture stuff esp ladies shoes and even jewellery ffs too many loadsofmoney insta peasants/arriviste around these days..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

There's a very nice current model Oyster Perpetual on SC at the moment for £350 under list.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    There's a very nice current model Oyster Perpetual on SC at the moment for £350 under list.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    For some people, 39mm is very different to 36mm....

Master
    For some people, 39mm is very different to 36mm....
    For that type of watch that would be the difference between a comfortable size (36mm) and unwearable (39mm) for me.

Master
    been in 3 local ADs (london) in the last 2 weeks and asked about a sub...a straight no date LN. 2 refused to even tske an EoI, the other did but made it fairly clear I am vey unlikely to get a watch. one of those dealers said they have no oyster perpetuals, none. the window was all bimetal DJs basically

Craftsman
    Personally I would refuse a tske an EoI so I can’t blame them.

This watch the OP was after is fairly obtainable so not sure why he struggled. One phone call to my AD and “ yes we have one in the window”. Not sure what all the fuss is about :)

Craftsman
    I love the white face OP (39) am now on wait list as I haven't been able to find one in the NE of England or on any of my bi monthly trips to Scotland! Seems like everything is now waitlisted essentially!

Apprentice
    I had one and chopped it in for a 38mm el primero and very much regret it. A perfect little watch and I understand why it is so popular. 369 layout but cheaper and easier to get than an explorer. Many prefer the older explorer style proportions of the 36mm and to top it all rolex do sunburst blue really really well. what's not to like!
    You'll find one and I'm sure you will enjoy it when you do.

Very nice indeed
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I had a 36mm blue OP but couldn't get the bracelet to fit comfortably so off it went to Watchfinder. No regrets:)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    I had a 36mm blue OP but couldn't get the bracelet to fit comfortably so off it went to Watchfinder. No regrets:)

This is a watch that I always think looks great in photos but, in the flesh, I find it a little ... prissy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Was in a Rolex AD yesterday. The guy said he will run out of DJ stock before Christmas and unsure when they will receive a reasonable order, he also added that the Wimbledon steel DJ,s are getting very difficult to acquire

I know this chap very well and wouldn’t expect him to feed me any BS

Bonkers.

I've just picked up my Rolex Sub Date today after registering with my local AD since March ( unofficially since Dec2018 as my name was never entered in their list).
    So it is possible to get these models but then this is my 3rd Rolex from this particular AD and also I do pop in every 2~3 wks to say hi.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk