closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TV Wall Mounts

Craftsman

TV Wall Mounts

I'm going to mount my 65 inch TV on the wall.

Not done it before and lots of choice out there. Any particular Manufacturers or features i should look for or avoid ?

Craftsman
    Look at one with a pivot if there's any chance you'll move your seating area around the room, we have one in a kitchen/diner & the pivot means we can watch it from the table or when in the kitchen bit.

Craftsman
    The pivot and tilt is a handy option so you can push it back against the wall when not in use.

Although the cheap ones look the part, I have one that the hinge twists as you pull it away from the wall so the TV tilts at a jaunty angle when away from the wall. Need to get that replaced with a better quality one.

You'll need some right angle plugs for the HDMI/aerial cables as the low profile mounts can put the TV very close to the wall and squash the plugs if they stick out too much. You can buy right angle adaptors easily enough.

Craftsman
    OK, its in the lounge where the hifi is as well, so there is a fixed settee listening/viewing position so probably not pivoting. A small tilt may be useful.

Master
    Can I hijack the thread and ask about the height of a wall mount.

I assume most TVs on stands are at eye level when you are seated. When I think of wall mounted, I tend to think of something higher. If a room isn't huge, you don't want to be sitting craning your neck to see the screen.

Any thoughts?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Can I hijack the thread and ask about the height of a wall mount.

I assume most TVs on stands are at eye level when you are seated. When I think of wall mounted, I tend to think of something higher. If a room isn't huge, you don't want to be sitting craning your neck to see the screen.

Any thoughts?
    Absolutely eye level. Measure eye height from your sofa position and centre the TV on that. Many people get it wrong and those pictures I see of them mounted above a fireplace etc is just wrong, you will end up with neck ache.

The height should be roughly where it would be if it were stood on a TV cabinet, not half way up the wall. It will look odd when you first mount it, but comfort is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Absolutely eye level. Measure eye height from your sofa position and centre the TV on that. Many people get it wrong and those pictures I see of them mounted above a fireplace etc is just wrong, you will end up with neck ache.

The height should be roughly where it would be if it were stood on a TV cabinet, not half way up the wall. It will look odd when you first mount it, but comfort is most important.
    Very true. I have my 65 inch TV mounted above a fireplace currently but it is on a gas adjustable arm which comes forward and down to the right level for viewing.

Craftsman
    I'm currently playing with string on the wall, it has to fit over my hifi racks.
    Currently its eye level around a quarter of the way up the screen from a viewing distance of 15 feet.
    It looks OK but as you say, i'm tempted to reconfigure and drop it a few inches.

If you don't want to / can't chase your cables into the wall, Screwfix sell some pretty decent 'D line' self adhesive plastic trunking to hide the cables in: https://www.screwfix.com/p/d-line-wall-mounted-tv-decorative-trunking-50mm-x-25mm-x-1-5m-white/58754

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    If you don't want to / can't chase your cables into the wall, Screwfix sell some pretty decent 'D line' self adhesive plastic trunking to hide the cables in: https://www.screwfix.com/p/d-line-wall-mounted-tv-decorative-trunking-50mm-x-25mm-x-1-5m-white/58754
    That looks like a good option.

I would thoroughly recommend these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sanus-low...questid=297768

I have two. One with my old 50" plasma on in the Kitchen Diner and that is a very heavy tv!

The other in the lounge with my LG 65" OLED

The brackets are very easy to fit and allow you to remeove the tv easily (via two pull down toggles) if you want to update your wiring or components. In the lounge mine backs on
    to the cupboard under the stairs, so I have drilled holes in to there and have all of my av stuff out of site, controlled by an infra-red sender and hub.

I did the same with the SONOS playbar below and so it looks really clean and neat

Regarding heigh I used a chart from AVForums. Thats also a great resource for AV help, just like this is for watches etc

Let me know if you want any pics

John

Blog Entries
    “I would thoroughly recommend these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sanus-low...questid=297768

I have two. One with my old 50" plasma on in the Kitchen Diner and that is a very heavy tv!”

Quite agree we had this on our old plasma and it really does the job for newer kit there are a lot more options but anyone hanging the old stuff on the wall really make sure your fixing are secure for the plasma i bolted the bracket to the wall
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Thanks for these. Some useful pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    Regarding heigh I used a chart from AVForums. Thats also a great resource for AV help, just like this is for watches etc
    Quote Originally Posted by redkite View Post
    I'm currently playing with string on the wall, it has to fit over my hifi racks.
    Currently its eye level around a quarter of the way up the screen from a viewing distance of 15 feet. It looks OK but as you say, i'm tempted to reconfigure and drop it a few inches.

Don't forget to use proper wall bolts and appropriate wall plugs. Seen plenty fixed in with normal plasterboard screws but I prefer to use proper bolts, if only for peace of mind.

Craftsman
    Thanks all...
    In the end i got a sustantial stand.

I found that there was an area of stud wall where an arch had been and the TV seemed so heavy i couldnt risk wall mounting !

Master
    Don’t put it above a fireplace, place it so sitting on sofa you can watch without tilting your head backwards.
    Everyone has got to the cinema late & sat at the front you end up with neck ache not comfortable.