closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pure Class

Pure Class

I recently acquired one of the very best watches I've ever owned; the Smiths Everest 36mm.

Having owned the Everest MK1 since the first week of release way back when, I've always admired Eddie's intent with this watch. Explorer purists regularly pointed out the faults with the MK1; case too big and dis-proportioned, hands too short, minute track too prominent and bracelet too big and heavy to name just a few. I always defended the watch as I thought it was outstanding in every way except the bracelet (which was too big and heavy!) and was never intended to be an Explorer replica.

I followed the development of the 36mm and 41mm models closely and felt more and more that I would need to try one at some point. This time I could see the improvements throughout the development stages and, where I had previously defended the MK1, I had to concede that getting closer to the Explorer in more ways was the right way to go.

So fast-forward to last week and I got the chance to secure a 36mm version from a very well-regarded TZer that I've had several successful transactions with. No need to worry about the seller or the condition, just whether I'd get on with the 36mm.

On arrival and first try on I instantly felt it wasn't for me. Far too small. However I felt I should give it a week on the wrist to see whether we bonded.

Well, we've bonded!

This little watch is pure class. The size is so perfect on my 6.75" wrist that I now feel the 41mm would be huge. Rather embarrassingly I must admit that I can't stop looking at it. The polished bezel sits beautifully above the brushed case top and the contrast looks amazing in all lights. The way the crystal interacts with the inside of the case around the dial gives it a 'thickness' that I've not seen before.

The dial print is sharp and clear with pretty good lume. The longer minute and second hands make all the difference compared to the MK1.

Drilled lugs and signed crown are really nice touches too.

The bracelet is lovely and, although the slide-clasp is quite chunky, it's not too prominent and well worth having it for the perfect fit in all weathers.

I just love this watch!

Anyone who might be on the fence over the size, give it a go :)

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 7th August 2019 at 20:59. Reason: Pics

Master
    Lovely review. Makes me even more interested in getting one.

Craftsman
    Great watch and 36mm is the right choice.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comprehension review . It’s a great watch and what pointed me in the direction of this equally great forum!

There’s been a number of watches ‘incoming’ recently, so until today, I hadn’t worn the Everest for a few weeks. I’ve been playing around with a few different straps though which reminded me how good it is, looking great on most (I like the bracelet too) and particularly fantastic on Eddies 2-piece nylon deployants.

Journeyman
    Like gold dust at the
    Moment and going for more than rrp on eBay!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    They are nice.

From my recent experience, I find that the Miyota 8200 is a strange self- winder, it only winds in one direction but it winds quite efficiently if the wearer is reasonably active. I tested a watch with this movement recently and it achieved full wind after a brisk walk of around 1.5 hrs. following a sedate 1 hr of wear (breakfast time!). This was starting from fully run- down with only a one twist if the crown to get it running.

The rate varies as the amplitude falls, to get the best out if this movement it needs to be in a high state of wind. If you’re not particularly active I suggest winding it fully ( approx 45 twists) then wearing, it should wind sufficiently to keep the amplitude high and the timekeeping where it should be. That’s the difference between these movements and rge too quality stuff, they don’t have the same precision over a wide range of amplitude but they cost a small fraction if the price.....I know which is best value for money!

The Miyota movement doesn’t wind efficiently on a cyclotester ir watch winder, but seems fine on the wrist.......which is a bit strange but that’s how they are.

That’s interesting Paul, thanks. I’m getting +10spd from mine; +5 while worn all day and the same crown down overnight.

Master
    A very good review David. The burning question is, how long will this bond last for.

I find beauty in simplicity like that watch, humility is a wonderful thing :D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    A very good review David. The burning question is, how long will this bond last for.
    Well if the bond doesn’t last I’ll be in the queue to try and buy it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I considered making a bold statement in my post about length of ownership but decided not to as sometimes finances dictate a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's the most comfortable watch I have and the one I have to consciously take off after 3 weeks in order to rotate to another

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I considered making a bold statement in my post about length of ownership but decided not to as sometimes finances dictate a sale.
    Fare point Mr D.

Trying a few natos; MN style, navy blue, brown and red/white/blue:

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 8th August 2019 at 20:07.

This is a good review and picks up on all the same points as mine:

https://www.wristnerd.com/articles/2...WQfzAc4brMExic
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 8th August 2019 at 20:42.

I recently acquired one of the very best watches I've ever owned; the Smiths Everest 36mm.

Having owned the Everest MK1 since the first week of release way back when, I've always admired Eddie's intent with this watch. Explorer purists regularly pointed out the faults with the MK1; case too big and dis-proportioned, hands too short, minute track too prominent and bracelet too big and heavy to name just a few. I always defended the watch as I thought it was outstanding in every way except the bracelet (which was too big and heavy!) and was never intended to be an Explorer replica.

I followed the development of the 36mm and 41mm models closely and felt more and more that I would need to try one at some point. This time I could see the improvements throughout the development stages and, where I had previously defended the MK1, I had to concede that getting closer to the Explorer in more ways was the right way to go.

So fast-forward to last week and I got the chance to secure a 36mm version from a very well-regarded TZer that I've had several successful transactions with. No need to worry about the seller or the condition, just whether I'd get on with the 36mm.

On arrival and first try on I instantly felt it wasn't for me. Far too small. However I felt I should give it a week on the wrist to see whether we bonded.

Well, we've bonded!

This little watch is pure class. The size is so perfect on my 6.75" wrist that I now feel the 41mm would be huge. Rather embarrassingly I must admit that I can't stop looking at it. The polished bezel sits beautifully above the brushed case top and the contrast looks amazing in all lights. The way the crystal interacts with the inside of the case around the dial gives it a 'thickness' that I've not seen before.

The dial print is sharp and clear with pretty good lume. The longer minute and second hands make all the difference compared to the MK1.

Drilled lugs and signed crown are really nice touches too.

The bracelet is lovely and, although the slide-clasp is quite chunky, it's not too prominent and well worth having it for the perfect fit in all weathers.

I just love this watch!

Anyone who might be on the fence over the size, give it a go :)

Thank you for the review.. Can't wait to order one when Eddie's back:)

On a very cheap vintage style oyster with folded links, flip-lock clasp and a nice vintage taper. Much lighter and less bulky that the Smiths bracelet and clasp if that’s your thing.

I have another of these bracelets unused if anyone wants it for £15 delivered?

Craftsman
    Great review and has made me more tempted to try one of these.

I have always liked these in all guises but never gone for one as yet.

Journeyman

Nice review

I find this review really helpful and it does evolve my interest in owning one
    This is exactly why I wanted to join this forum
    Thanks for taking the time to add the review 👍🏿

You’re most welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by d2ore View Post
    I find this review really helpful and it does evolve my interest in owning one
    This is exactly why I wanted to join this forum
    Thanks for taking the time to add the review 

Journeyman
    You’re most welcome!
    Now the challenge to find one !

Heading for that London Town....

Grand Master
    The 36mm looks a lot better than the 1st issue which I never liked,the proportions were all wrong IMO.
    I will certainly consider the next one I see on sc.