closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New in - Mido Ocean Star Diver 600m

New in - Mido Ocean Star Diver 600m

It was a link on this forum which first alerted me to the brand Mido – a name I will forever associate with an Egyptian footballer with a fluctuating weight issue. Some kind soul posted up a link to the Ocean Star collection, it wasn’t the titanium model signposted that I fell for but searching a little deeper I came upon the Diver 600m. Now some watches worm their way into your soul, others start as a minor niggle, but get superseded along the way by other ‘must haves’. Tastes change, circumstances alter….if you leave things alone for long enough. But in this case my desire remained steadfast.
    Anyway, my personal circumstances underwent some dramatic upheaval over the last 6 months, but now I am in a calmer place, so I decided to treat myself. I haven’t seen this model on the forum so there was no one to ask the in-depth questions like ‘can I wear it in the bath’ or ‘how does it fit on a flat wrist’….nevertheless I did my due diligence on the seller and hoovered up all the reviews I could find on the object of my longing. Mido are a brand under the Swatch umbrella, but do not have a high street presence in UK, so as the £ began to slide so the price inexorably went up. I took this as a ‘sign’ and ordered before the point when the pound achieves parity with the euro.
    So, what do you get? A diver watch with 600m rating, which in a fairly compact case measuring 43.5mm and 14mm deep is pretty impressive imho. At that sort of depth a helium valve is required – not needed on my example I hasten to add, but it is a nicely understated little dimple on the side of the case, no large button a la Omega. I would say the case wears smaller than the dimensions suggest, the lugs are short which helps grip around the wrist and it certainly doesn’t feel overly large on my 7.25” wrist. What is inescapable is the weight – a significant 200g.
    The case is brushed steel, as is the bracelet, so no shiny steel bits in evidence. A really nice touch is that the bracelet has four half links to enable a good fit, and in addition there is a ratchet on the folding clasp that can be expanded by pinching two lugs together whilst on the wrist. Almost infinite adjustment. Now what else was there…ah yes, this is the first watch I have owned with a ceramic bezel, and I know it is childish but I really love the reflection of the inky blue material. The bezel has Arabic numerals infilled with a type of Super Luminova (called Grade X) which I will be honest, didn’t really blow me away, I think my old 2254 beats it hands down for brightness. The bezel is unidirectional and a neat trick is that to release you have to depress and turn….but again this is a feature of my old Aquatimer 2000m.
    The movement is a derived ETA one, Mido call it Calibre 80Si, with a silicon hairspring beating at 21600 vibrations an hour, for 80 hours! And it is COSC rated, quite a lot of bang for your buck. The dial shown in advertising is deceptive – in real life the blue is very inky, certainly black in many lighting situations, the flashes of dark blue only really become apparent outside in sunshine…..and the raised ‘Mido’ name flashes too when it catches the light.
    I know a diver doesn’t need a date, but I do. The date wheel is black, thankfully. White would have spoiled things for me…..dark blue would have been ace….
    I find the topic of build quality subjective, I have no idea where this model would sit in the almost infinite league tables of manufacturing quality/materials. All I can report is that the bracelet doesn’t rattle, there are no annoying sharp edges, it is very comfortable for me, the brushed parts are neat and parallel, and I can find no blemishes anywhere. All that remains is for some pics I did earlier, and to encourage anyone in the market for a deep diver designed to be used, to have a look at Mido. They may just surprise you, thanks for reading my waffle. T

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Nice that ... love those big chunky hands, whats that above the HEV?

Craftsman
    Yes, nice watch. I think it is quite elegant looking compared to some of the dive watches out there. I'd prefer it to be around the 40mm mark and no more that 13mm thick, but a nice watch, none the less.

Master
    Very handsome watch, that.

That is a very nice looking Mido with some pretty impressive specifications , congrats .

Craftsman
    Love it..great post and introduction to Mido

Always nice to see something different on the forum and that one is a cracker. I used to have a couple of Midos myself and I've never thought they get the recognition they deserve for some excellent designs.

I really like that.
    Does it have a lumed bezel?
    You say the lume is so, so
    Could you post a picture after dark...
    😋

Quote Originally Posted by cf31bloobird View Post
    Nice that ... love those big chunky hands, whats that above the HEV?
    WEV

water esc....

Looks pretty nice, I like the sunburst blue dial on it and it's pretty slim for a 600m diver which is a plus
    Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    WEV

water esc....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I really like that.
    Does it have a lumed bezel?
    You say the lume is so, so
    Could you post a picture after dark...

as per request, although this doesn't look too poor, it would have been better if I had thought to do the Omega 2254 with side by side comparison. The camera setting was 1/2 sec, F4 and ISO 400.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Tim63 View Post
    as per request, although this doesn't look too poor, it would have been better if I had thought to do the Omega 2254 with side by side comparison. The camera setting was 1/2 sec, F4 and ISO 400.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Cheers
    It’s not too bad
    Usable at least.

Master
    I like the clean, uncluttered lines. Not a brand I'd heard of but I've been to their site and they have some nice products at sensible prices.

e.g.

£600!

Journeyman
    Great watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice watch and write-up - thanks OP.

Mido don't seem to be available online or anywhere except at a couple of outlet stores - can I ask where you were able to order from?

Also, what is that slot above the HEV?

Interesting that you have just bought a Mido Tim, I have too, the blue/black Ocean Star GMT. I just posted it in the other thread.
    A well made watch, and the best value mechanical traveller GMT I can find. 80hr reserve (like this, the GMT is based on the powermatic 80) and under £900, it is a lot of watch for the money
    Dave

Tim that's very nice and great lume photo really liking this particular range from Mido.