closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car advice for new driver, regarding insurance.

Car advice for new driver, regarding insurance.

Ok so sons turned 17 and started driving lessons, he needs license as quick as possible for work, he’s saved for a car but I’m concerned about insurance.

As a guide is insurance all based on the cars insurance group? So will all group cars be about the same to insure or could a group two car be more than another group 2 because of make?

Plus anyone recommend companies for a new driver?

Tesco often one of cheapest. Put yourself on his policy to reduce premium and almost certainly need a 'black box'.

Enter different cars and see how premiums vary.

Yes, Insurers take a wide variety of factors about cars into account in the premium calculations, so there could/would be a difference based on the manufacturer, even between the same base cars (toyota Aygo, Citreon C1 etc)

Craftsman
    Careful with the black box.They basically grass the driver up and as a new driver He’s bound to screw up at some point.Better without one .

Craftsman
    Old MG on a classic policy

Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    Old MG on a classic policy
    Often classic policies don't build no claims though :-(

Newer/low capacity/safer cars are definitely cheaper to insure than older cars with fewer safety features; the saving on insurance between a 6-month old Skoda Citigo (£5k) and a 1993 Rover 214 (£free) was sufficient to pay for the car over 3 years and, from a parent's perspective a far better option - half as much fuel, much cheaper tax, airbags, side impact protection, ABS...

As Jeremy Clarkson once pointed out, for yourself you want something fast, flash and outrageous, when your child passes their test you want a bouncy castle with wheels

This is a real eye opener!
    Vauxhall’s Costa 1.2 £ 2000 to buy 11 years old £1850
    AUDI A1 1.2 £ 6000 to buy 7 years old £ 2100

It’s gonna be a long week.......

Master
    Lots of factors involved. From cost of repair, to statistics of crashes, e.g more corsas being written off by boy racers than expensive audis. You'd think that the group allocation would take all of that into account but it seems it doesn't really. It'll be a minefield, but at that age I think it fair to expect it to cost around 2k regardless of car. Supply and demand, might as well screw them over.

I’ not long ago bought the eldest daughter a little fiat 500 to learn to drive in ,
    Me the Mrs and daughter insurance comes in at just over £300
    Daughter owns the car with provisional license with me and the Mrs as named drivers
    Obviously once she passes the premium will go up

Master
    Blog Entries
    A Plan have always been good for first time drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    A Plan have always been good for first time drivers.
    Yep, my 17 year old is £300 until he passes his test, 2016 fiesta zeetec 82 bhp

My son began driving three years ago when he was 19, his car was a '10 plate ford Ka. Insurance provided by Direct Line, with black box and both parents as named drivers. Premium was £1,200 per year, paid monthly by direct debit. With no accidents in three years his current premium is about £960....

Master
    I had this recently and it’s going to cost £12-1300 no matter what you drive. Ours was about £1600 but it was quite a big car. As others have said you will have to go for a black box but I really liked him having that, keeps him from being stupid!

It does go down sharply in year 2 though, his premium was nearly halved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I’ve been through this with my daughter recently. Paying annually rather than monthly means you’re likely to get a better rate. Put yourself and anyone else who has a good driving record on the policy as a named driver.

The best advice is to buy an unpopular car. The more popular cars Eg Corsa, Polos etc statistically more likely to have been involved in accidents due to more 1st time drivers insuring them so go for something less obvious if you can.

Having said that, my daughters 1.2 Corsa was £900 with Admiral believe it or not, no black box and paid in one lump which iI thought was good.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Forgot to add, insurance costs aren't typically too bad while learning but rocket after the test is passed, so if the OP is putting a few different cars through the online search engines to see what the prices come back like, it's worth doing it on the basis of his son having passed his test.

It can also save money to go up a spec or two in a particular car’s range.

We compared a base Ka with the next higher spec which came out cheaper.

We put it down to the fact that, in general with small cars, the youngsters drive the base model whilst “safer” pensioners drive the higher specs. The higher spec cars are therefore less likely to have a claim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Careful with the black box.They basically grass the driver up and as a new driver He’s bound to screw up at some point.Better without one .
    Young kid in the office has only been driving for 6 months and is now on his THIRD insurance company. The reason is he keeps on getting caught speeding by the insurance companies 'black box'! It's got no legal standing with the rozzas but it does mean cancelled insurance. It's happened twice so I think he's now paying over 3 grand a year for his insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Young kid in the office has only been driving for 6 months and is now on his THIRD insurance company. The reason is he keeps on getting caught speeding by the insurance companies 'black box'! It's got no legal standing with the rozzas but it does mean cancelled insurance. It's happened twice so I think he's now paying over 3 grand a year for his insurance.
    Move it into his parents car? Although how mine drive that may not improve things!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Suggest he drives to the prevailing conditions and speed limits, my son has had to do it for three years and surprisingly has managed to do it...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    This is a real eye opener!
    Vauxhall’s Costa 1.2 £ 2000 to buy 11 years old £1850
    AUDI A1 1.2 £ 6000 to buy 7 years old £ 2100

It’s gonna be a long week.......
    I think the insurance company's concern is as much to do with damaging third parties - vehicles and people - as the cost of the insured's car. Seriously harm someone and it could cost them a six or even seven figure sum.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Or, to put it another way, if you drive as you are taught to and as the Highway Code says, you are a lower risk and benefit from lower premiums. It pays new/young drivers to regard a car as a means of transport rather than a form of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I think the insurance company's concern is as much to do with damaging third parties - vehicles and people - as the cost of the insured's car. Seriously harm someone and it could cost them a six or even seven figure sum.
    Yep, exactly this. It's more to do with the damage you could cause than your car.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Or, to put it another way, if you drive as you are taught to and as the Highway Code says, you are a lower risk and benefit from lower premiums. It pays new/young drivers to regard a car as a means of transport rather than a form of entertainment.
    Exactly. The idea that their driving is constantly monitored is what makes these work for the majority of drivers, making them better, more responsible drivers.

Really good advice given so far. You won’t get cheaper than with a box and they’re worth it. As already stated the premium relates to the risk of the driver and car not the car they’re driving. There are plenty of examples of drivers, especially young, hitting people or carrying 4 passengers and crashing, hence the premium.

I’d suggest:

Ingenie
    Wise driving
    Coop young driver
    Smartmiles

In no particular order. I can offer more help, I work in this area. dm if you wish.

Thank you everyone for all the advice, car hunt has begun!

I’ve just passed the Citroen dealership in Uckfield. They’re advertising the C1 from £132 p/m with free insurance for 18+ year olds and no telematics.

It may be worth checking the dealership near you, you’d probably pay more than £130 p/m for the insurance alone.

Cracking deal.

My 17 year old son has just gone through this. He is still on provisional licence and paid about £400 for his Skoda Citigo (75bhp) with Adrian Flux. No black box. If he passes his test before December then they will credit the remainder of insurance to his new policy. If not then tough titties, but he will at least get 1 years no claims with them

His next policy, assuming he passes, will be about £1200.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Car advice for new driver, regarding insurance.

Don’t try to make any sense on how the quotes are arrived at as they don’t seem to.

My son was older, 22 when he got his first car and he ran loads of quotes. Wanted to get a Golf 1.2 at the time for which the quotes were around 1400+ After months of looking for a suitable car he noticed that if he got a 1.4 the insurance costs were lower so he started looking to a 1.4. Then he noticed that a 1.4 GT was even lower and finally he claimed that a 2.0 GTI was even lower at 815.

I thought he was bullshitting me so over a weekend I ran quotes for all the cars and surprisingly the 2.0 GTI was the cheapest to insure. So we ended up getting a 200BHP GTI as his first car.

As I said, makes no sense at all, I told him it must be blip/mistake and that his premiums were bound to sky rocket but he renewed back in October for around the same amount. On the first policy we did add myself, my wife and his sister which all lowered the quote but on renewal adding us increased the costs so we were all taken off.

Master
    My daughter has a 16 plate 1.25 Fiesta that was £1200 to insure in her name as a learner driver & when she passed her test it stayed the same. She is with Directline & we asked all these kind of questions when ringing round for quotes.

Nothing to do with Insurance, however yesterday I was advised that if you are the front passenger in a car being driven by a Learner, and use your phone and get caught you are looking at £200 fine plus 6 points.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Nothing to do with Insurance, however yesterday I was advised that if you are the front passenger in a car being driven by a Learner, and use your phone and get caught you are looking at £200 fine plus 6 points.
    The same rules apply as if you were driving so you could also be breathalysed and if over banned.

Seems fair enough. You’re not the front passenger but technically teaching the driver- hard to do whilst on the phone or drunk.
    I used to be against the ‘black box’ idea but as a parent I now think they’re great. I can talk to my kids about their driving habits and they get their own no claims bonus

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdobson45 View Post
    Suggest he drives to the prevailing conditions and speed limits
    While I can understand how a Black Box can monitor vehicle speed against speed limits (assuming that it has access to a complete, accurate and up-to-date speed limit database, and the exact speed and location of the vehicle), how does it monitor driving relative to the prevailing conditions?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    While I can understand how a Black Box can monitor vehicle speed against speed limits (assuming that it has access to a complete, accurate and up-to-date speed limit database, and the exact speed and location of the vehicle), how does it monitor driving relative to the prevailing conditions?
    It doesn't but isn't that the big issue with speed limits anyway? People assume if the speed limit is x then, if they drive at x, they're perfectly safe. Often it's perfectly safe to drive at x+y and conversely sometimes the safe speed is x-y. Speed limits are just another way to try and dumb down driving.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    It’s also not just monitoring speed, it’s also cornering, braking and acceleration. Ingenue is good as you earn discounts for good scores.

Master
    I might have missed the boat on this one but just get a little 1 litre engine (or less) runabout and stick an experienced driver (yourself?) as a "named driver" on the policy whether you have any intention of driving it or not. That should be giving you quotes of a grand in most cases.

If the car is primarily used for the wok commute then stick it on a low miles policy, that'll help a little bit.
    Depending on the insurer have a check if the "Pass Plus" course will make any odds - some cases it knocks as much as 20% off and in some cases is makes zero difference.

After the first 12 months trouble free driving his insurance will basically half, and the following year the same again. By the time he's 20 he'll have a few years driving experience and be able to insure something he can be proud of.

We got C1/108/Aygos (had them all), put 17 year old as main driver to build up their no claims (and keep it legal), put a genuine low annual mileage down and then added both us 50 somethings to reduce the premium (evidently it reduces the 17yo opportunity to drive)

Quote Originally Posted by TAG0001 View Post
    We got C1/108/Aygos (had them all), put 17 year old as main driver to build up their no claims (and keep it legal), put a genuine low annual mileage down and then added both us 50 somethings to reduce the premium (evidently it reduces the 17yo opportunity to drive)

I've done that too but would have thought the insurers would realise by now that we're just doing it to reduce premiums and most parents will never drive the vehicle.