closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: One that got away... SRP mini restoration and mod

One that got away... SRP mini restoration and mod

I was thinking of maybe modding an SRP777 a while back, so when one came up at the right place I bought it. Long story short I changed my mind and I eventually put it up on SC when I had to move a few on at short notice.

Anyhow the sale fell through as I had failed to accurately describe the condition of the watch. Not drastically but enough that I immediately refunded the seller and covered costs to get it back and decide for myself.

Anyhow on proper inspection it was really in need of some love and attention. So I set about ordering all new gaskets, a new flat Sapphire crystal, signed crown so I could do a full strip, clean and mini restoration whilst sorting the sloppy bezel action.

At the same time I decided to apply a brushed finish to the bezel. I love the Seiko diver bezel rings but they are pretty shiny which I think is a bit much with the polished case sides. Also applied a brushed finish between the lugs on the case.

Turned out ok I think I particularly like the simplicity of the SRP777 and it's clearly the closest of the Turtle re-issues to the classic 6309-7040. The flat sapphire with AR really makes a difference.
    Last edited by mrwozza70; 8th August 2019 at 20:11.

That is lovely. I am interested in how you managed to take the shine off the bezel. Thanks.

Thank you just an abbrasive pad. It's easy with the watch stripped down.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwozza70 View Post
    Thank you just an abbrasive pad. It's easy with the watch stripped down.
    I have heard of this. I will try it. Thank you.

Master
    Hi Mr. Wozza,
    Seems to have turned out beautifully and almost looks Seiko factory in that it lacks any of the "hacked &/or whacked" look some mods appear to me to have.

As I think I've seen enough loosely fit and lightly tensioned brand new Seiko Air Diver (i.e. for the most part with SKX series) timing bezels to be a little gunshy of dive timing bezels as a concept, even though I think the concept is good if the execution is also, could you please speak to how you ".......sort[ed] the sloppy bezel action........." of your SRP777 (and whether you think this would also be applicable to the SKXs)?

Thanks

Outstanding Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    Hi Mr. Wozza,
    Seems to have turned out beautifully and almost looks Seiko factory in that it lacks any of the "hacked &/or whacked" look some mods appear to me to have.

As I think I've seen enough loosely fit and lightly tensioned brand new Seiko Air Diver (i.e. for the most part with SKX series) timing bezels to be a little gunshy of dive timing bezels as a concept, even though I think the concept is good if the execution is also, could you please speak to how you ".......sort[ed] the sloppy bezel action........." of your SRP777 (and whether you think this would also be applicable to the SKXs)?

Thanks
    Five things common on SKX and SRP that can contribute to the best possible action.

1. The case - has it possibly been damaged or excessively worn on the mid-case where the bezel ring engages.

2. The Bezel ring - is it round and flat - sounds crazy I know, but if it has been removed by a watch bodger (like me) it could have been bent. Also that the underside ratchet cutaways are clean and not excessively worn (unlikely)

3. The bezel gasket - should be replaced and lubricated - they can and will get hard, shrink or be flattened.

4. The bezel spring - is it bent, broken or the two prongs that create the spring and ratchet flattened or bent. Better to replace a bent or badly worn one.

5. Is everything clean, lubricated and fitted correctly.

You can't change (much) how the above works at its best, although it's a 120 click action (on SRP at least) so if < 0.5° 'play' is acceptable you can get that pretty easy.

Before I sorted this one I think I could have pulled the bezel off by hand if I had tried too. There was quite a bit of 'play' in every direction I'm sad to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Outstanding Sir!
    Thanks... It came up nice... actually really enjoyed wearing it today

Master
    Mr.W,
    Thank you on that comprehensive response to my question----I hadn't realized so many factors were involved in getting the bezel problems these Seiko's can have sorted out. BTW, I think the SKX series divers have always been 120 clicks also, to my knowledge at least.

Also BTW, what I think is especially neat about these watches, both the newer and in some ways I think improved* SRP "Turtles" and the by now what must be very classic SKXs is that, at least for me, they don't have to be perfect to be a whole lot of fun to wear and I've been wearing my SKX all around the past couple of days also (and while a loose & easy-spin bezel would bother me to h if mine had or ever develops one, its well off-the-mark chapter ring doesn't faze me a bit and I am completely OCD-less regarding it).

I fully agree with TtC and the others what a great job of mod'ing you did on your 777 and I think there will likely be a pile-on if you ever put it up on SC

Thank you again

*(drilled lugs so you can use the more NATO safe and friendly shoulderless springbars and still easily change them out for standard closed-end/two-piece straps; hackable/windable mov't----though the auto-wind only SKX's c.7S26C became quirkily charming to me after finding a fairly accurate one; classic cushion shape if you prefer it, etc.)
    Last edited by Rollon; 10th August 2019 at 14:55.