closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: VPN Provider Recommendations

VPN Provider Recommendations

I have just had a billing issue with NordVPN and am rather unhappy with the way they are dealing with it, so I have cancelled my subscription and am now looking at alternative providers.

Does anyone on here use a VPN they would be happy to recommend? Ideally with UK based experiences of speed latency and reliability.

From what I have found online, everyone doing VPN 'reviews' online seems to be getting throw-backs from recommending their services, so it is very hard to find real-world (ie genuine) experiences and comparison.

Got to say, Nord's the only one I trust.

Master
    No bad experiences with VyprVPN

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Got to say, Nord's the only one I trust.
    Any particular reason you say that?

I've been using Strong VPN for around 5 years with no issues whatsoever.

Hello

Express VPN, not had any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Any particular reason you say that?
    The extent to which their privacy policy has been independently audited.

It depends what you expect from your vpn.
    If you’re after the possibility to mascarade your location, you can do a targeted search on Google and will have answers.
    If your concerns are privacy (just because it’s your business and no one else’s) the list is likely to be very different and significantly shorter.
    I have tried quite a few, and Nord is the one I use... combined with Privacy Pro.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    I was with PIA but moved to ProtonVPN, works very well but costs a little more.

I use ExpressVPN and am very happy. Happy to refer, we both get a free month I think.

Expensive but get what you pay for.

I've used Torguard for ages, after doing the usual due diligence (do they keep records etc.). It's been reliable, and I use it on my Mac and iPhone.

Currently they're running a promotion (2 year plan for $49.99), which I was very happy with.

I use expressvpn to.. It does what I want. You do get what you pay for.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

I use ProtonVPN. If you like researching things, have a look at this exhaustive comparison: https://thatoneprivacysite.net

Here's another useful link, lots of VPNs answering questions about their services.

https://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-s...ymous-in-2019/

Thanks for the replies.

I have now done so much digging/research that I have lost myself up my own hole. From the reviews I have read, it seems you can prove every single one of these providers is fantastic/rubbish/expensive/bargain depending on who wrote the view.

Time to just take the plunge and get on with it with one from the list above.

Thanks again for the advice.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Express VPN, not had any issues.
    Been using Express for years now, been very pleased with the support and product

Master
    Thanks for the replies.

I have now done so much digging/research that I have lost myself up my own hole. From the reviews I have read, it seems you can prove every single one of these providers is fantastic/rubbish/expensive/bargain depending on who wrote the view.

Time to just take the plunge and get on with it with one from the list above.

Thanks again for the advice.
    What’s the usage?

I built one at home a while back for personal use when on unsecured networks and it performed fine while in Austria recently for prime and Netflix.

Took a few nights of jiggling but spun it up on a old nuc micro pc I had.

airvpn gets recommended on wilder's security forums. also pia on osint podcast

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    airvpn gets recommended on wilder's security forums. also pia on osint podcast
    Used to use PIA but dropped it as it was hit and miss in terms of working (it wasn't encrypting traffic from my mobile despite saying it was active).

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Used to use PIA but dropped it as it was hit and miss in terms of working (it wasn't encrypting traffic from my mobile despite saying it was active).
    what app did you use on your phone?
    if it was openvpn then I am aware that Eddie for airvpn is meant to be better at securing Dnsleaks

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    what app did you use on your phone?
    if it was openvpn then I am aware that Eddie for airvpn is meant to be better at securing Dnsleaks
    The Private Internet Access (PIA) app itself, given I'd paid for it!

It was easily tested as flawed - connect to a controlled WiFi network and see if you still can't access things that are blocked. Also, change your settings with your mobile service provider to prohibit access to certain sites, and if when using the VPN you can't access them, it definitely isn't working.

There are more thorough checks of course, but if it fails those very basic checks, there's no need to dig further.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    What’s the usage?

I built one at home a while back for personal use when on unsecured networks and it performed fine while in Austria recently for prime and Netflix.

Took a few nights of jiggling but spun it up on a old nuc micro pc I had.
    Primarily, it is a bit of a tin-foil hat.

Home office, with two PC based businesses with broadband over a 4G line, so wanted a bit more anonymity/privacy.
    No overseas use or any of the other wizzy-do stuff. Maintaining a secure, stable and fast line are the priorities.

I am not techy at all, so do not want to do anything particularly clever other than logging in and expecting it to just 'work'.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    The Private Internet Access (PIA) app itself, given I'd paid for it!

It was easily tested as flawed - connect to a controlled WiFi network and see if you still can't access things that are blocked. Also, change your settings with your mobile service provider to prohibit access to certain sites, and if when using the VPN you can't access them, it definitely isn't working.

There are more thorough checks of course, but if it fails those very basic checks, there's no need to dig further.
    good to know for the future thanks

Master
    Primarily, it is a bit of a tin-foil hat.

Home office, with two PC based businesses with broadband over a 4G line, so wanted a bit more anonymity/privacy.
    No overseas use or any of the other wizzy-do stuff. Maintaining a secure, stable and fast line are the priorities.

I am not techy at all, so do not want to do anything particularly clever other than logging in and expecting it to just 'work'.
    Forgive me if this is teaching you to suck eggs but it sounds as if your expectations for the vpn are flawed.

As I understand things the 4g connection is already encrypted and should be secure between you and the provider, after that point data could be at risk.

If all you do is pass all traffic via the vpn then all you are doing is move the point at which the encryption stops from your 4g provider, to your vpn provider. Again everything that is not end to end encrypted becomes “at risk” beyond this point.

Again I understand that for example Microsoft Office 365 traffic is encrypted already as I would expect are other business platforms. Meaning communication between you and MS is secure but for example emails from and to addresses outside of MS hosting are unsecured.

If connections are not end to end encrypted then using a commercial vpn is not the same as end to end encryption.

If data security is of paramount importance then you might want to consider separating work and home networks and use only wired connection and a separate 4g router on the work lan.
    I’d personally be more weary of the proliferation of IoT devices and there inherent risk to home networks than someone breaking the 4g encryption on my uplink.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Forgive me if this is teaching you to suck eggs but it sounds as if your expectations for the vpn are flawed.

As I understand things the 4g connection is already encrypted and should be secure between you and the provider, after that point data could be at risk.

If all you do is pass all traffic via the vpn then all you are doing is move the point at which the encryption stops from your 4g provider, to your vpn provider. Again everything that is not end to end encrypted becomes “at risk” beyond this point.

Again I understand that for example Microsoft Office 365 traffic is encrypted already as I would expect are other business platforms. Meaning communication between you and MS is secure but for example emails from and to addresses outside of MS hosting are unsecured.

If connections are not end to end encrypted then using a commercial vpn is not the same as end to end encryption.

If data security is of paramount importance then you might want to consider separating work and home networks and use only wired connection and a separate 4g router on the work lan.
    I’d personally be more weary of the proliferation of IoT devices and there inherent risk to home networks than someone breaking the 4g encryption on my uplink.
    I have to confess to a bit of a 'whoosh' moment there, but I think I understand part of what you are saying.

If I have understood you correctly, you are you suggesting that I am basically wasting my cash on a VPN, as that is no more secure than what I already have?

I may have been taken in by the whole 'protect your IP identity' information out there, so thought a VPN was a good thing to add to your defences for added peace of mind.

Master
    I have to confess to a bit of a 'whoosh' moment there, but I think I understand part of what you are saying.

If I have understood you correctly, you are you suggesting that I am basically wasting my cash on a VPN, as that is no more secure than what I already have?

I may have been taken in by the whole 'protect your IP identity' information out there, so thought a VPN was a good thing to add to your defences for added peace of mind.
    Yep.

They work (best) when you are on unsecured public networks. Assuming your home network is secure then it’s not buying anything apart from moving where the data becomes unencrypted.

This might make it a bit clearer.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/133680/htg...what-is-a-vpn/