closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Growing chillis help

Growing chillis help

Expert advice needed please, and assume I know nothing about plants or gardening.

About 2 months ago I was given some chilli plant seedlings, two of which are now fruiting. Could an expert please tell me what they are, before I start chowing down on something I wish I hadn't?

These are growing/hanging downwards and look like Jalapenos to me:

And these are growing/pointing upwards, not the same smooth outline as the other ones, and look somewhat "naughtier":

Master
    I'm not sure what type they are 1st looks like a jalapeno 2nd looks like some sort of birds eye or finger chilli.
    I tried my hand at growing last year and had a massive crop, the tip i followed and think kept the single plant i had fruiting for months on into November was to take a dry clean paintbrush and lightly brush each flower with it to cross pollinate from flower to flower.
    Meant to have another bash with a few different varieties this year but life got in the way. Maybe next year

For your friend to hand over unlabeled chilli plants is like playing chilli-russian-roulette, but with your tongue!

An old rule of thumb is the smaller pointy chillis are hotter than the fatter, larger ones, but I am not sure that is very reliable as there are just so many varieties around nowadays.
    Harvest them in groups when they are ready and take a tiny taste of each batch. That is the only way to know with any certainty.

They do freeze quite well, so you can label them and store them in batches until needed for cooking.

HTH
    Last edited by Maysie; 7th August 2019 at 14:10. Reason: typo

Top one looks like Jalapeño to me. I used to grow them and pickle whatever I didn’t use fresh.

The second one looks like a Thai Dragon. They are not particularly hot but YMMV!

Do some research on how you prune them and pinch the tips out to improve your yield.

A hot tip (sorry!) from a lomg-time grower:

When evaluating chili friuts for hotitude, have a glass of whisky, brandy, or whatever your favourite 40% spirit is.
    The hot is an oily acid which clings to the tongue. A sip of spirit and maybe a sloosh about the mouth will relieve the pain of an unexpectedly hot chili. The spirit dissolves the oily acid and brings much-needed relief.

I will leave you to fill in the blanks re. the tale of my present wife returning from a shopping trip to find me, having reported that I was to spend the afternoon chopping and freezing the year's surplus chili harvest, immersing my penis in a suitably-shaped (thin and short) glass tumbler full of Laphroaig following a visit to the toilet.
    Last edited by unclealec; 7th August 2019 at 21:35.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post

When evaluating chili friuts for hotitude, have a glass of whisky, brandy, or whatever your favourite 40% spirit is.
    The hot is an oily acid which clings to the tongue. A sip of spirit and maybe a sloosh about the mouth will relieve the pain of an unexpectedly hot chili.

I will leave you to fill in the blanks re. the tale of my present wife returning from a shopping trip to find me, having reported that I was to spend the afternoon chopping and freezing the year's surplus chili harvest, immersing my penis in a suitably-shaped (thin and short) glass tumbler following a visit to the toilet.
    Post of the year. PM me if you want me to delete this quotation mate! I’m sure you are being modest and it was a pint glass tumbler(!).

Btw. The McrGTG troops are starting to grumble.

The hot is an oily acid which clings to the tongue. A sip of spirit and maybe a sloosh about the mouth will relieve the pain of an unexpectedly hot chili. The spirit dissolves the oily acid and brings much-needed relief.

I will leave you to fill in the blanks re. the tale of my present wife returning from a shopping trip to find me, having reported that I was to spend the afternoon chopping and freezing the year's surplus chili harvest, immersing my penis in a suitably-shaped (thin and short) glass tumbler full of Laphroaig following a visit to the toilet.
    He he he
    I have a similar story about a house mate at uni and his girlfriend
    Poor girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    He he he
    I have a similar story about a house mate at uni and his girlfriend
    Poor girl!
    I also have a friend with a similar story, it wasn't his deft fingermanship making her writhe and moan

Fantastic!! I’m howling with laughter and tears are streaming down my cheeks. It’s the image in my mind and the reaction of the wife - priceless!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Fantastic!! I’m howling with laughter and tears are streaming down my cheeks. It’s the image in my mind and the reaction of the wife - priceless!!

It gets much darker if you imagine the catastrophe that would have ensued had my wife been physically attractive and post-titillating-underwear-shopping. I would have had some explaining to do at my local A&E. And maybe the forensics lab.

Thanks very much for the advice and tips, gents.

Master

😂 Excellent

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post

Plus ca change.....

Top one, somewhat pointed? Habanero rather than more rounded tipped Jalapeño? If yes, at the other end of Scoville.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk