closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Trade paint - Worth it/recommendations?

Craftsman

Trade paint - Worth it/recommendations?

I have just purchased another buy to let property and get the keys next week.
    Not a big property (2 bed terraced) but a few of the rooms have been painted bright pink, blue and various shades of cream. My plan is to go in and white wash it before adding a 'feature' paint or wallpaper wall in each room to break the white up.

What are people using paint wise?

In the past I have just gone to screwfix and purchased a couple of 10l tubs of Leyland white but to be honest it was never really good so I am looking for something to make my life easier and ideally get it covered in one or two coats.
    From what I can see online Dulux trade seems to have good reviews but around £40 for 10l. I dont mind paying around this figure to make my life easier by the way but open to other suggestions?

Yep Dulux or Crown for me supermatt or fast Matt.
    Just as a extra point if you buy from Brewers you will get a bigger choice of colour ,as in you can get crown colours mixed with dulx paint

Master
    Crown trade is excellent, especially their wood work paint, easy flow or something it’s called.

I painted skirtings and doors in 5/6 rooms and the tin still looks full. One coat was all that was required, though there was a pretty good base coat already on.

Dulux washable Matt is good too, for the walls. Not sure if it’s “trade” or not.

Dulux trade for me every time, personally think there is a big difference in quality compared to B and Q etc.

Trade every time.

Used Dulux Trade Centre and Johnstones a few times.

Dulux paint match at a trade centre is particularly good if you are trying to match stuff.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Leyland trade. Excellent stuff and much cheaper than Dulux.

Read the Screwfix reviews

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Leyland trade.
    I concur.

Not sure I would be decorating a rental with anything else and would not be doing feature walls or papering.

Master

Just painted all our walls & white wood with Dulux Diamond Matt / Eggshell.

Brilliant hard wearing stuff that is scrubbable too, far tougher than the stuff you get from a normal retailer. Down side is £40 for 2.5L if choosing your own colours to be mixed!

Whether it makes sense in a rental though, longevity might make it so, but equally not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mj2k; 7th August 2019 at 06:16.

Blog Entries
    Avoid screwfix and B+Q, go to a decorators merchant and get a decent CONTRACT matt ( Leyland, Armstead, Johnsons or Mcphersons - £15 - £20 for 10 litres) blast it all out then go over the top with a VINYL matt in the colour of your choice
    Dulux and Crown are OK but they are no better than the other makes and are twice the price, Armstead is made by Dulux (Azko) and is a very good paint for the price
    As said above, I'd be avoiding feature walls and doing the whole house the same colour

Craftsman
    For me it's not so much the paint it's how you put that paint on the wall.
    Just finished painting the inlaws hallway with valspar, father in law had a cheap dial sleeeve I used a good quality Harris sleeve. What he done was patchy and needed a 2nd coat, what I done didn't, it's all about the tools...or maybe I'm just a better painter than him!

Craftsman
    When we renovated I did the whole house on bare plaster.
    Leyland trade for 2 coats, Dulux Silk for the top coats. I always find Crown is harder to apply for some reason.

Macphersons Trade. The End.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    I certainly see mostly Armstead being used across the commercial and education projects I work on at the moment, so professional decorators certainly rate that. As mentioned already Dulux Diamond Matt is the daddy when it comes to robustness and scrub-resistance, but it comes with a heavy financial premium.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I wouldn’t use Dulux Diamond on any significant areas as you’re unable to touch this in should it get damaged in the future as it will stick out like like a sore thumb.

Dulux Trade for me.

B

Journeyman
    Been decorating my place for the last 18 months and used all kinds of paint:

Leyland Trade - very good, especially the wood primer which is better than the dulux
    Dulux Trade - again very good.
    Farrow & Ball - disappointed, bad coverage and expensive
    Little Greene - expensive but good paint, no better than dulux etc.

I think you can mix Leyland trade paint to other colours, that's what i'm going to be using in future.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Dulux from their trade centre for me- goes on thick meaning less costs needed (essential if you want to hide previous colours). A bit more expensive but are you going to remember an extra few quid, except of course when it’s time to do your tax return.

Many recommendations for ‘trade’ paint here, what’s the difference compared to standard paints?

Why do they even sell the other stuff?

Craftsman
    Armstead or Leyland matt as a base coat then Dulux trade vinyl matt for white ceilings and walls, Johnstones for all other colours. Most decorators will mix Johnstones in Farrow and Ball/Little Greene colours. Farrow and Ball paint is crap but their colour palette still in vogue.

I don’t like Crown paints, very chalky and not resilient.

Can’t beat Johnstones. I’ve just finished total renovation of my third large property (c 4,000 sq ft) so can speak from a lot of experience.

Wickes often have a BOGOF deal on Dulux trade that my merchant can’t get anywhere near.

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone.

Some good info here and overall looks like Dulux is a favourite but I will see what offers the local paint shop has on the other recommendations, I do see Macpherson paint used a lot in the trade.

In regards to a feature wall it will just be in the bedrooms & a kitchen wall, normally I buy a 2.5/3l or similar tub or a grey paint and do one wall. It helps break the white wash look up and matches the grey carpets I usually put down.
    It takes no time to do and I think makes a (minor) difference.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Many recommendations for ‘trade’ paint here, what’s the difference compared to standard paints?

Because time is money. If you were a decorator you would want to get coverage in the minimum amount of coats so you can finish the job and on to the next. That’s what the non- trade centre guy told me when I was getting some samples mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Because time is money. If you were a decorator you would want to get coverage in the minimum amount of coats so you can finish the job and on to the next. That’s what the non- trade centre guy told me when I was getting some samples mixed.
    Fair enough but wouldn't everyone? TZers seem to.

Maybe a stupid question: can anyone buy trade paint or do you have to be in the trade (i.e. a painter by profession), and what sort of places stock trade paint? [I'm not in the trade and I've not bought paint for years - when I did, I went to Screwfix for the saving.]

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dja21 View Post
    Been decorating my place for the last 18 months and used all kinds of paint:

Leyland Trade - very good, especially the wood primer which is better than the dulux
    Dulux Trade - again very good.
    Farrow & Ball - disappointed, bad coverage and expensive

I think you can mix Leyland trade paint to other colours, that's what i'm going to be using in future.
    Farrow & Ball, is a posh con. it's very "thin" paint so needs multiple coats to get it opaque, which in turn costs you more. They have been caught out by it and admitted as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nuttington View Post
    I certainly see mostly Armstead being used across the commercial and education projects I work on at the moment, so professional decorators certainly rate that.
    They could be using a particular paint for all sorts of reasons. It would be more interesting to know what they use in their own homes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Farrow & Ball, is a posh con. it's very "thin" paint so needs multiple coats to get it opaque, which in turn costs you more. They have been caught out by it and admitted as much.
    Having bought and sold a couple of high end properties in recent years, the F&B fashion is so widespread that apparently many potential buyers are aware of the colours when viewing houses, eg "ah, the lounge finished in "Pigeon", the hall looks great in "Elephants Breath" whereas "Bone" suits the kids bedroom so well. Many have fallen for the marketing hype such I always use their colours for decorating at the moment for max buyer appeal on resale.

i would say it was better, certainly for the matt finish. i tried a dulux tester in a very similar shade and it was patchy and still had a sheen. the little green paint was absolutely flat and no sheen even when viewed at an angle.

heard good things about Sanderson paints too.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Can’t beat Johnstones.
    Johnstones and Leyland are owned by the same company (PPG)

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone.

Whats people's opinion on paint sprayers?
    Seen countless videos which show people doing rooms in a fraction of the time and always considered buying one for future projects but is it worth the time making sure everything is properly covered up?

Luckily for me the rooms will be bare (no carpet either) so might be an easy/quick solution or should I just stop being lazy and get the rollers out?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Johnstones and Leyland are owned by the same company (PPG)
    A bit like whiskys, only a small handful of corporates own the big single malt names, but the products are all different.

The ceramic brake discs for an Audi R8 cost more money than it costs to buy a VW Up car. Same company.

Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Seen countless videos which show people doing rooms in a fraction of the time and always considered buying one for future projects but is it worth the time making sure everything is properly covered up?

Luckily for me the rooms will be bare (no carpet either) so might be an easy/quick solution or should I just stop being lazy and get the rollers out?
    Do the videos show the hours spent masking off?

Master
    Having bought and sold a couple of high end properties in recent years, the F&B fashion is so widespread that apparently many potential buyers are aware of the colours when viewing houses, eg "ah, the lounge finished in "Pigeon", the hall looks great in "Elephants Breath" whereas "Bone" suits the kids bedroom so well. Many have fallen for the marketing hype such I always use their colours for decorating at the moment for max buyer appeal on resale.
    Elephants breath does look well everywhere to be fair. I can get it mixed in Dulux trade for 1/3 the price in a local trade store. Looks identical.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Buy the ICI Armstead Contract Matt 10ltr £15 +VAT from Brewers best on the market for the money, how do I know, I use about 2 grand a month of the stuff

Master
    Blog Entries

I don’t like Crown paints, very chalky and not resilient.

r.
    Best white gloss on the market. End of

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

I had a direct ICI account given the volume I use to purchase and the way it was sold to me was that ICI make the raw material, extract what they need and meets their requirements and then they sell it to other suppliers such as Leyland, once they have taken what they need it’s them sold to the likes of B&Q.

B

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Best white gloss on the market. End of
    Didn't Crown have a problem with white gloss going yellow a while ago? I guess they would have fixed it by now.

Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    Didn't Crown have a problem with white gloss going yellow a while ago? I guess they would have fixed it by now.
    Dulux......Apparently it was the VOC makeup.

Grand Master
    I think any oil-based gloss will yellow eventually, but some brands have been worse than others, I blame the quality of the solvents they used which may have been recovered. I used to swear by Johnstones but even that yellows eventually. Much as I dislike the poor finish it gives, I now use water-based gloss because it stays white.

Here's a top tip: don`t use oil-based white gloss on skirting boards close to newly-fitted carpets. The organic vapours from the adhesive and the carpet backing will cause the paint to yellow very quickly, I learned this the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I think any oil-based gloss will yellow eventually, but some brands have been worse than others, I blame the quality of the solvents they used which may have been recovered. I used to swear by Johnstones but even that yellows eventually. Much as I dislike the poor finish it gives, I now use water-based gloss because it stays white.

Here's a top tip: don`t use oil-based white gloss on skirting boards close to newly-fitted carpets. The organic vapours from the adhesive and the carpet backing will cause the paint to yellow very quickly, I learned this the hard way.
    Last time I had a custom colour match at Johnstones Trade Centre they would not do it in oil based, only water.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    Dulux......Apparently it was the VOC makeup.

Correct, which was the reason we went over to Crown plus it’s cheaper

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    i would say it was better, certainly for the matt finish. i tried a dulux tester in a very similar shade and it was patchy and still had a sheen. the little green paint was absolutely flat and no sheen even when viewed at an angle.

heard good things about Sanderson paints too.
    Yes, i would agree with you here on the finish vs Dulux, I thought they were similar on the coverage though. I used the Absolute Matt paint and seems to show marks up a little more but i guess that's expected with a dark colour, would probably try the Intelligent Matt next time seems to be more hard wearing?

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    I had enough to do 2 coats based on the m2 per L on the tin, still had to go back to the store for another pot. Never again!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post
    Thanks everyone.

I spray as often as I can, all my work is on a price so it means I can make more money. Just sprayed a house out this afternoon, 3 bed empty terrace with no carpets had walls and ceilings finished in 3 hours with McPherson contract matt . Still have woodwork to do but I have another sprayer for that. It’s a lot quicker once you get the hang of it and it beats breaking your back on a roller

I also use a lot of Farrow and Ball , it used to be terrible but they changed the formula a few years ago and now it’s great but expensive, nothing wrong with it at all

Quote Originally Posted by dja21 View Post
    Yes, i would agree with you here on the finish vs Dulux, I thought they were similar on the coverage though. I used the Absolute Matt paint and seems to show marks up a little more but i guess that's expected with a dark colour, would probably try the Intelligent Matt next time seems to be more hard wearing
    I’m having my kitchen done next week but painting myself so I’ll probably go little green but eggshell not intelligent matt as that’s best suited to a kitchen.
    It’s expensive but I think it looks much better than cheaper paint.

I’m not interested in maximising profit from savings on paint and prep time though.

Has anyone any experience with Mylands? I did a darker feature wall in Little green which looks fine and the others in a pale green Mylands marble emulsion but had an issue with the small roller I used which was a short pile. Basically the paint was touch dry super quick, as I went to roll out a few marks where the edge of the roller had left some lines they had already dried!?
    I know how to paint and lay off gently with either a roller or brush to get a good finish so while not a tradesman I have done enough to know how to lay it on the wall properly.

Walls were prepped, rubbed down, filled in a lot of places with tourpent fine surface filler and then feathered out properly (as a kid it was my job to polish gunstocks and barrels to a mirror finish without rounding corners so I know how to use a block and paper), sugar soaped then any dust removed with a tak rag.

I rang Mylands and they suggested using a 3in synthetic brush and doing it the wrong way to intuition and zigzagging and ‘dithering the brush’ almost like somebody who doesn’t know how to paint.
    It sort of worked as beating back across the brush strokes as it was about to dry knocked the brush marks back and by dry brushing what was a couple of mins previous the wet edge meant there was a feathered edge to start covering with the next brush load.

It’s o.k. But not perfect in daylight, it’s very flat matt, flatter than anything else I have used due to the powdered marble in it but it’s still a bit patchy. Fine for a Georgian town house not a modern flat.

Not sure what to do now? Live with it or maybe try a bigger roller with a shortish pile and work fast to be able to roll out any edge lines I get but surely it shouldn’t be this tricky to use?

Can’t beat Johnstones. I’ve just finished total renovation of my third large property (c 4,000 sq ft) so can speak from a lot of experience.
    I've always used Johnstones pro paint.
    Always a great finish, but as someone said the brush quality counts too.
    Last edited by Rod; 24th September 2019 at 08:49.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    I spray as often as I can, all my work is on a price so it means I can make more money. Just sprayed a house out this afternoon, 3 bed empty terrace with no carpets had walls and ceilings finished in 3 hours with McPherson contract matt . Still have woodwork to do but I have another sprayer for that. It’s a lot quicker once you get the hang of it and it beats breaking your back on a roller

I also use a lot of Farrow and Ball , it used to be terrible but they changed the formula a few years ago and now it’s great but expensive, nothing wrong with it at all
    To use your recent example, how much of a saving was it to the customer that you sprayed rather than used roller and brush ?

Master
    Blog Entries

Why not just get it mixed in Armstead most Brewers stores have the Formula’s it’s half the price and better coverage.

Master
    Blog Entries
    . Still have woodwork to do but I have another sprayer for that. It’s a lot quicker once you get the hang of it and it beats breaking your back on a roller

l
    You must have a lot of masking up to do if you are spraying the Doors Frames and Skirting board. Pray tell me how it’s cost efficient. I have been at 48 years never sprayed fitted woodwork next to finished walls

Quote Originally Posted by Chukas View Post
    Dulux trade for me every time, personally think there is a big difference in quality compared to B and Q etc.
    Agreed.

Spraying/masking reminded me of this: -