closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Advice required on a difficult situation

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    I think it’s a disgrace how this thread in an open part of the forum has turned into a slagging match whilst the boss is laid up in hospital and unable to intervene.
    Have some respect everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Was about to post something similar, absolutely shameful and ultimately drags Eddie’s business through the mud too.

Somebody has gone so far down the rabbit hole, they don’t know the way back...

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by nick67 View Post
    Totally concur
    You are right. I have just had a call about Eddie. I wish him a speedy recovery.
    I will post no further on this matter.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    You are right. I have just had a call about Eddie. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Don’t you think it’s a bit late for that?

Your interventions in this thread were completely unwarranted and unnecessary, and you’ve damaged our hosts shop window in pursuit of your own interests.

When you inevitably contact Eddie to delete the thread, perhaps you could apologise too.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Don’t you think it’s a bit late for that?

Your interventions in this thread were completely unwarranted and unnecessary, and you’ve damaged our hosts shop window in pursuit of your own interests.

When you inevitably contact Eddie to delete the thread, perhaps you could apologise too.
    I have no intention of asking for this or any other thread to be deleted.
    It is what it is. I stand by my posts.
    People like you cause the damage by protracting it.

If Eddie was in better health right now I am sure he would delete this toxic thread. I am probably wasting my time but here goes; to the 2 main protagonists in this mess: this is a public forum for watch enthusiasts. Please take your sordid dispute offline and deal with it through whatever channels you choose. I don’t care

I think you've made sure that ship sailed long ago.

Are you going to provide evidence to back up your allegations against the OP?

Master

Sure, it’s everybody else’s fault isn’t it...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I think you've made sure that ship sailed long ago.

Are you going to provide evidence to back up your allegations against the OP?
    Probably a waste of time but
    Let me ask you this:
    Why am I the villain here ?
    I did nothing but defend myself against a member who seems to glory in whinging to bear pit trolls in preference to sorting his problems like a grown up.

Let me ask you this:
    I did nothing but defend myself against a member who seems to glory in whinging to bear pit trolls in preference to sorting his problems like a grown up.

No Brendan, you haven't simply defended yourself in this thread. In a disgusting bout of schadenfreude, you chose to enter this thread with gloating about about someone being scammed out of £1300. What does it say about you, that you apparently condone such actions?

Alongside your well-documented caustic personality, it also tells the viewer that your moral compass is skewed and should £1300 worth of watch go missing, it'll be karma for upsetting you.

Any damage to reputation is caused by you alone, I wouldn't trust you to change the battery in a Swatch.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    No Brendan, you haven't simply defended yourself in this thread. In a disgusting bout of schadenfreude, you chose to enter this thread with gloating about about someone being scammed out of £1300. What does it say about you, that you apparently condone such actions?

Alongside your well-documented caustic personality, it also tells the viewer that your moral compass is skewed and should £1300 worth of watch go missing, it'll be karma for upsetting you.

Any damage to reputation is caused by you alone, I wouldn't trust you to change the battery in a Swatch.
    Oh dear. Well that's you off my Christmas card list.

Let me ask you this:

Can you point out where you were attacked on this thread before you jumped in to '…defend yourself…'?

Craftsman
    Wow....some really poor judgement going into some of these posts.

If the owner of this forum is the only mod thats a real shame,fairly sure the thread would have been locked hours ago.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    Wow....some really poor judgement going into some of these posts.

If the owner of this forum is the only mod thats a real shame,fairly sure the thread would have been locked hours ago.
    Yeah.Any where else I think at least two people would have been banned

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post

+1

Master

Advice required on a difficult situation

This thread is a train wreck.
    Last edited by jaytip; 11th August 2019 at 11:51.

Blog Entries
    And there was me thinking to bring my pride and joy with me on holiday to get it serviced.

Think I’ll join the queue now, since that enormous and growing workload is keeping you busy enough as it is.
    Were it not for Eddie I’d say this was the funniest meltdown of all meltdowns, and that from a grown man of 66. You couldn’t make it up.
    Well, I’m going to waste no time finding an adress to get my precious Uranus fixed, because uranus is still blocked with you being stuck up it.

Bye.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Time for everyone to put on a clean pair of y fronts and take the dog for a walk

Blog Entries
    May I add to the general feeling that, particularly in Eddie’s absence, we should stop this “collateral” thread, and just follow the evolution of the initial facts as posted by Vortgern.

So, who posted? lolz

Who Posted?

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    May I add to the general feeling that, particularly in Eddie’s absence, we should stop this “collateral” thread, and just follow the evolution of the initial facts as posted by Vortgern.
    100% This ^^^^^^

Master
    Blog Entries
    ....back on track, OP please update us Tues/Weds

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    So, who posted? lolz
    QUOTE=VDG;5171605]So, who
    posted? lolz[/QUOTE]

This reads like a hall of shame. Some of these posters, including myself did so to try and put an end to this mess.
    Your post reveals no context and is another example of the cu*ntism so much in evidence on this forum these days.
    Please delete it.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    So, who posted? lolz
    You forgot to include yourself

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkelly72 View Post
    You forgot to include yourself

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Yeah im not on that list ...

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Yeah.Any where else I think at least two people would have been banned
    Which two?

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Which two?
    macmatchfaker and DVG.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I forgot what I came in here for but it certainly wasn't this shite. Take it offline you bunch of ingrates.
    Gray

OP - after all the crazy crap has now stopped any update on your original issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, this has been a salutary and informative read. OP, I hope you get your money back with minimum fuss and hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I forgot what I came in here for but it certainly wasn't this shite. Take it offline you bunch of ingrates.
    Indeed!

Disgusting how some people, probably even adults, let themselves go in this thread while Eddie is hospitalized due to a serious cause.

Take some time away from here, or stay on topic FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Indeed!

Disgusting how some people, probably even adults, let themselves go in this thread while Eddie is hospitalized due to a serious cause.

Take some time away from here, or stay on topic FFS.

And the topic here is OP’s refund not griping about other people’s gripes.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    I have given the seller until close of business Tuesday 13 August 2019 to refund my £1375 and don’t want to post anything in H&V before then.
    Any news...?

Grand Master
    I’ve followed this whole sad and sorry saga, the way it has descended into acrimony is regrettable for all concerned.

I genuinely hope the OP, who I’ve never had dealings with, gets this resolved. This is a sizeable chunk of money to be owed, I’d be upset if I was in his position. However, I question why he didn’t try discussing the problem by phone with the seller, if I’ve understood correctly he received a text therefore he had the guy’s number. That’s how I would've handled it, and I would've given the seller every chance to fully explain what had happened before sharing the story. On that basis I see parallels with the Rotary saga, which ended up escalating in a similar way and was never fully resolved. I’m sure that could’ve been sorted by better communication at an earlier stage.

I’m a strong believer in trying to resolve problems before airing dirty linen publicily. Texts and e-mails are fine when things are fine, but as soon as misunderstandings/ disagreements arise it is far better to talk to the other party and sort things out. Keep the dispute between the two of you and publicise it as a last resort, publicising only serves to entrench positions, I feel that happened in Rotary-gate with Brendan and there’s a danger it’s happened again. Coupled with the fact that the seller has family health problems (I don’t believe he made that up) perhaps it was better to cut him some slack and give him chance to sort things out. The seller has a good track record, it seems absurd that he’d now act dishonestly, Frankly I don’t see how setting deadlines etc was the right course of action unless the OP is desperate for the money himself.

Resolving this is going to need communication and goodwill between both parties, far from helping with resolution this thread has further entrenched positions and I think that was a predictable outcome.

What’s all this Eddie would do this or that, he rarely gets involved in handbags and dummies so why would he now, let it run its course..

I still can’t believe that cheapy broken eBay Rotary has caused so much bluster, I’m just glad the previous owner has been found -

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I’ve followed this whole sad and sorry saga, the way it has descended into acrimony is regrettable for all concerned.

I genuinely hope the OP, who I’ve never had dealings with, gets this resolved. This is a sizeable chunk of money to be owed, I’d be upset if I was in his position. However, I question why he didn’t try discussing the problem by phone with the seller, if I’ve understood correctly he received a text therefore he had the guy’s number. That’s how I would've handled it, and I would've given the seller every chance to fully explain what had happened before sharing the story. On that basis I see parallels with the Rotary saga, which ended up escalating in a similar way and was never fully resolved. I’m sure that could’ve been sorted by better communication at an earlier stage.

I’m a strong believer in trying to resolve problems before airing dirty linen publicily. Texts and e-mails are fine when things are fine, but as soon as misunderstandings/ disagreements arise it is far better to talk to the other party and sort things out. Keep the dispute between the two of you and publicise it as a last resort, publicising only serves to entrench positions, I feel that happened in Rotary-gate with Brendan and there’s a danger it’s happened again. Coupled with the fact that the seller has family health problems (I don’t believe he made that up) perhaps it was better to cut him some slack and give him chance to sort things out. The seller has a good track record, it seems absurd that he’d now act dishonestly, Frankly I don’t see how setting deadlines etc was the right course of action unless the OP is desperate for the money himself.

Resolving this is going to need communication and goodwill between both parties, far from helping with resolution this thread has further entrenched positions and I think that was a predictable outcome.
    I've not had the time to read through the entire thread, though I've dipped into it from time to time and found the taste rather too bitter for me. The comments I've quoted above are, I think, generally good ones, though I had an experience a while ago that makes me wonder whether it's really best to keep these issues private, as suggested above.

Some members will remember GeoffD, who 10 years ago offered a re-luming service. He had various business names at various times, and I met him once when I bought a watch from him. One of the reasons for buying the watch was that the original deal tritium lume on its hands and dial had been repainted with Superluminova. As part of the deal, GeoffD also agreed to relume another watch for me, within a deadline that would allow me to pick it up with the 10 day period I was in the country.

It turned out that the work was going to take a little longer; GeoffD had been ill. He would post the watch to me in Australia. Then there was a further delay. His wife was ill. Then he stopped answering my emails and calls. I found some old thread on another website relaying another WIS's bad experience with him, and recounted his failure to return a watch, and became concerned - so I rang the local police who kindly offered to pop around and "encourage" him to return the watch to me. An angry email followed from Geoff, explaining about the family illness, furious at me for involving the police, and demanding that I pay him for the cost of the postage (which he was supposed to cover) before he shipped it back to me. Desperate to get my valued watch back, I paid for the very expensive courier shipment, and thankfully received it a week or two later. The work had been done badly and there was a small hair stuck to some of the paint.

Somewhat embarrassed, both because I was wondering if I'd been gulled, but also feeling, frankly, a bit guilty for involving the police when the poor guy was under a lot of pressure with apparent family health problems, I kept quiet about the whole thing. Some months later, it became apparent that there were a lot of other members who had sent GeoffD their watches and who had been waiting for a long time for their return. Again, he had shown the same pattern of excuses, delaying, then ignoring communications; he had, I think changed his address, and was sitting on tens of thousands of pounds of other people's property. It took some great detective work by, IIRC, The Flying Banana, who deserves a medal, and who managed to recover most of the missing watches, though many were in pieces and some were missing parts. It cost the affected customers - most, probably, TZ-UK members - a lot of angst and a lot of money to resolve the situation. For some, this meant paying 3rd party watchmakers to put right GeoffD's bodged work.

I still wonder about whether I should have spoken up. I got my watch back through issuing a deadline and involving the police; I then kept quiet and others suffered. What should I have done? And what should someone do when he's paid a lot of money for something he's not received, or left valuable property with someone who is not responding, or responding badly? Raise the issue in public, or keep quiet? I'm still not sure. There may be something about watchmaking that attracts people of a particular character and personality, or maybe the work drives some to distraction. But either way, those who live by the referrals given on this forum need to be aware of the adverse consequences of upsetting forum members who are their customers, and perhaps temper their responses accordingly. It might also make it a lot easier all round if the responses and publicity were more factual and less acrimonious...
    Last edited by HappyJack; 14th August 2019 at 04:36.

Banned
    But either way, those who live by the referrals given on this forum need to be aware of the adverse consequences of upsetting forum members who are their customers, and perhaps temper their responses accordingly. It might also make it a lot easier all round if the responses and publicity were more factual and less acrimonious...[/QUOTE]

Dear Happy Jack,
    I don't believe the issue here is if a matter should be publicised, but when. Most reasonable people would say 28 days after trying everything to resolve the matter privately. The OP published in both cases without giving the other party any time at all, even though he has full contact details. Some members then jump to reckless conclusions. Many years of good work can be destroyed online in an instant by such ill considered or untruthful public accusations.

Master
    This forum works on trust. If sellers are happy to take the money, then they must follow through with the service - be that sending a watch or completing the work agreed and shipping a watch back.

We have no consumer protection here, no eBay / PayPal dispute process.

H&V and the rules relating to post count before access to SC is there to protect us all by building up an online reputation.

This is not perfect, but works well for the majority of transactions.

A series of excuses from sellers that are in possession of other people’s money is really not good enough over an extended period of time, and the seller (or service provider) should front up and return what is not theirs within a reasonable time period. IMHO, that has elapsed in this case

But either way, those who live by the referrals given on this forum need to be aware of the adverse consequences of upsetting forum members who are their customers, and perhaps temper their responses accordingly. It might also make it a lot easier all round if the responses and publicity were more factual and less acrimonious...
    Dear Happy Jack,
    I don't believe the issue here is if a matter should be publicised, but when. Most reasonable people would say 28 days after trying everything to resolve the matter privately. The OP published in both cases without giving the other party any time at all, even though he has full contact details. Some members then jump to reckless conclusions. Many years of good work can be destroyed online in an instant by such ill considered or untruthful public accusations.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Same old story

This thread had zilch to do with you, it was not about you, it didn't reference you in fact I'm guessing everyone on here that was following the thread didn't have you on their radar. I made no connection that the OP here was the same as your spat several months ago. That obviously changed when you entered the discussion to create complete division and clearly looking for a fight.
    Never have I ever encountered anyone so happy to see somebody lose money....your comments regarding this are uncalled for. This whole situtation has been entirely created by you and you alone.
    Your reaction both on this thread and previous are the reason for any reputation damaged, stop playing the victim here.....it's your own doing.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 14th August 2019 at 07:59.

Blog Entries
    Be calm people, why don't we just withhold all comments until the OP chooses to reveal the outcome of yesterday's deadline with the SC seller he's having problems with.

Master
    Below is my final statement on the matter. It is now in the hands of my Solicitors.

Then:

VORTGERN
    You posted malicious remarks about my work without giving me any opportunity to discuss the matter either by phone or email, which was offered to you. You are now doing the same thing again where the seller you mention may well have personal problems. You have either learnt nothing or enjoy making malicious comments on this forum with total disregard for those affected. You then look for support from the low-life's who enjoy nothing more than disrupting the true purpose of this forum.
    I would have let the matter rest had you not done the above. Further:
    1. You sent me two photos by email of your watch with the case back removed then denied ever having removed it.
    2. You accused me of publishing your name online when in fact it was already online with LinkedIn. Why should you have anonymity when publishing such untrue statements ?
    3. I called you once at your work and left a voicemail, to verify that you were the right person for my legal team to contact. You verified that yourself by posting my call on here.
    I aplogised only because I thought you were probably under 18 and to let the matter rest. I do however now withdraw any apology since it is clear that you are only trying to disrupt this forum and the reputations of those who contribute to it.
    You will no doubt have received my emails of two months ago and last week letting you know my intention to sue you after waiting a reasonable time to assess the impact your posts have had on the volume of work I receive from TZ members.

Legal advice is free under Business Insurance Legal Expenses cover. However fortunately for Vortgern my workload has not diminished. Quite the opposite.

What an idiot. You really do have a hard time following this thread !
    It's a total waste of time responding to such remarks.

Litigation is covered up to 250k.

I am happy to have posted the true circumstances of this matter.
    I was not looking for financial benefit from it and will continue to help those with watches particularly of sentimental value.
    Those who appreciate my work are many. Those that don't have other places they can go.

And:

Then:

Let me ask you this:

Oh dear. Well that's you off my Christmas card list.

Dear Happy Jack,

Are you a man of your word, Brendan?
    Last edited by gcleminson; 14th August 2019 at 09:16. Reason: mis-quoted a post

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Then:

And:

Then:

Are you a man of your word, Brendan?
    I have every right to change my mind. It's not me you should question, but the motive of the OP for not awaiting a full response from the seller before starting this thread.

Master
    I have every right to change my mind.

You said you'd stop posting out of respect for Eddie and his current health situation. You've changed your mind?!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    You said you'd stop posting out of respect for Eddie and his current health situation. You've changed your mind?!
    So why haven't you ?

I have every right to change my mind. It's not me you should question, but the motive of the OP for not awaiting a full response from the seller before starting this thread.

Should he wait forever?

Banned
    Just to clarify. I am logging out of this forum now. This thread is not getting anyone anywhere.

Once again, a salutary and informative read.

Master
    So why haven't you ?

Why haven't I what? You're deflecting Brendan.

Just to clarify. I am logging out of this forum now. This thread is not getting anyone anywhere.

See you in 5 then..?
    Last edited by gcleminson; 14th August 2019 at 10:30.

Master

Dear Happy Jack,
    I don't see why there should be an arbitrary 28 days. Ands in saying that, I don't think I'm being unreasonable. In fact, if I'd paid £1375 for a watch and the seller had given me three different excuses for non-delivery in a few days, I'd be expecting my money back pronto - certainly within a couple of days. If I were suspicious that someone had taken my money and perhaps didn't want to return it, or the goods paid for, I'd be pretty firm about demanding a refund, and there's absolutely no way I'd be letting it go for 14 days, never mind 28.

Disputes between a tradesman and a customer are a slightly different issue. If a customer complained about some work that a watchmaker had done, and the watchmaker agreed to rectify the work, it would clearly be reasonable to allow enough time for the work, and shipping. I don't know what it takes to service a movement or refinish a watch case, but I'd imagine that there's a day or two in there, whereas, say, adjusting the timing might take a few minutes, but you'd; then need some time - presumably a few days - to check and monitor the time-keeping in various positions, and then of course to post it. But I shouldn't think it would need 28 days, either.

But to take it back to the OP's problem, an electronic funds transfer shouldn't take more than a few minutes. There's certainly no need for a 28 day turnaround. 28 minutes should be fine for making the transfer and sending a copy of the transfer notice. No more than 2-3 days to allow it show up in the account. I think the OP has been more than reasonable (unless I've missed it the seller hasn't yet been named, either, which is remarkable) and I can see no reason for anyone chuckling over the situation.

28 days is a long time in this day and age. Perhaps if we were talking 25 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I question why he didn’t try discussing the problem by phone with the seller, if I’ve understood correctly he received a text therefore he had the guy’s number.
    I did. There was no answer.

- - - Updated - - -

To update the thread I did receive a refund yesterday with fair restitution (after a wait of two weeks) and I consider this now sorted.

I have donated £20 to the fundraiser in appreciation of the help and support of the majority of members here.
    Last edited by vortgern; 14th August 2019 at 20:39.