closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help! Want to buy my gf a pair of diamond earrings. It's a mine field!

Help! Want to buy my gf a pair of diamond earrings. It's a mine field!

Hey all. It's my new girlfriend's birthday soon (within 2 weeks) and I'd like to get her a pair of diamond earrings (classic stud design). I had a good look around the local highstreet in the likes of F Hinds, T H Baker, Goldsmiths and Beaverbrookes. Prices vary massively and I've seen earrings for sale from £295 (apparently discounted from £600) to over £2,000 for 'certified solitaires'. It became apparent that weight, colour, cut and clarity are all important factors. Feeling a bit confused I spoke to a mate of mine afterwards who's wife is in to her jewellery and she said I'd be better off to get to the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham (fairly local to me). I also found out that GIA certification is the gold standard for stones of 0.3 carats in weight and over and that certification from any other body isn't the same and should be approached with caution. I saw a pair of earrings with 0.3 crt stones (total) f-g white colour si1/si2 clarity available for £850 reduced from £1700 which sounded like a great deal but I found out that they were certified by Mastercut not 'GIA'. Anyway, it's all got pretty confusing so I was hoping I could get some direction from the knowledgeable on here.

In terms of prices - I don't really want to spend more than £1,500 and less if possible (anything more takes us in to Cartier / Omega watch territory that I know she will love but those are not for now!). Any recommendations of what and where to buy would be appreciated.

Also, there are some studs available from Tiffany from £1,175 for .22 carat weight (not sure if they would be too small?). Is this Tiffany jewellery the way to go instead? https://www.tiffany.co.uk/jewelry/ea...ings-GRP00432/

Many thanks!

Forget high street chains. Jewellery Quarter is a better bet, best of all independent vintage jewellers and pawnbrokers.

Master
    I recently thought about exactly the same thing as I was sent an AMEX offer for £200 off when you spend £500 or more here;

https://www.77diamonds.com/

Likewise I'm no jewellery expert so make no recommendation as to whether they're any good or represent better value, and nor have I purchased anything from them, but I did find their FAQ on diamond attributes and certification worthy of reading particularly for a novice like me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Forget high street chains. Jewellery Quarter is a better bet, best of all independent vintage jewellers and pawnbrokers.
    ^^^ This. The Jewellery Quarter will give you the biggest choice in a (relatively) compact area. It's worth taking the time to visit and if it's not far from you then it's a no brainer. All of my wife's diamond jewellery was sourced from there.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMater View Post
    ^^^ This. The Jewellery Quarter will give you the biggest choice in a (relatively) compact area. It's worth taking the time to visit and if it's not far from you then it's a no brainer. All of my wife's diamond jewellery was sourced from there.
    Are you aware a 0.15 ct stone is only 3mm or so? Very small, I would look at 0.25 ct (each) as a minimum. You should have a look a blunile as you can choose your stones and setting to have them custom made

Recommendation here for Marlow’s in the Jewellery Quarter.

Craftsman
    I wanted to get my wife a pair of solitaire earrings for Xmas. I looked at my AD first trying to tie it in with a watch deal, but the high Street chain had a poor selection. I looked at buying stones from 77 diamonds but in the end it got all too confusing. I contacted a very nice gentleman from this very manor who put me in touch with his manager of his Chester store, he managed to find me a pair on budget but better quality than I could afford.
    I took the wife to Chester for the weekend and collected in store.
    Last edited by Coronet king; 6th August 2019 at 15:40.

Alexaff on here

Alexaff will I’m sure be able to help

He has two shops and is a very reliable chap to deal with

Send him a pm or pm his shop site

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post

^^^^^^^^^

What he said. Look no further.

Get them from Alex.

High street shops sell overpriced tat made shiny by lots of twinkling spotlights.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post

He has two shops and is a very reliable chap to deal with

👍 absolutely agree

Blog Entries
    Alexaff and Kevkojak

Brought jewellery from both of them…. Excellent to deal with and you won’t get better bang for your buck

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll get in touch with your suggestions :-)

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Recommendation here for Marlow’s in the Jewellery Quarter.
    +1 for Marlow’s.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxyadam View Post
    +1 for Marlow’s.
    And another recommendation - got my wife’s engagement ring and our wedding rings from there

Craftsman
    A new girlfriend and you want to spend £1500.
    Make sure you get them back if it all goes pear shaped.