closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is Being A Watch Collector Still Fun?

Is Being A Watch Collector Still Fun?

"... the fact remains that, unlike 20 years ago, the watch collector today must compete with the larger dollar of investors who masquerade as enthusiasts when their primary area of enthusiasm is to profit off other watch collectors. Personally, I don’t find their addition to this process as particularly fun."

On Ariel’s Watch: Is Being A Watch Collector Still Fun?
    https://www.ablogtowatch.com/on-arie...tor-still-fun/

An excellent thesis! The comments are as interesting as the article.

Are YOU still enjoying the hobby?

For me, having been away for just over 5 years, and with all the catching-up to do... it is as much fun as it has always been.

[The pic was "borrowed" by me, for fun. Sorry Ariel.]

john

Master
    The issues around Rolex/Patek as ‘investments’ , the apparent obsession with making a profit, the endless whinges about ADs and shortages; it’s not pretty is it.
    So, I suppose, it has slowly damaged my view of the ‘hobby.’ But nothing can be done, the forces at play are too powerful.

I'm praying that my currently-unaffordable grail watch doesn't get lit on by the enthusiastic pack of "influencers", thus rendering it unobtainable as well as even more unaffordable!

Meanwhile, I am rather more careful about where I wear my 5712A these days, compared with how carefree I was when I bought it. At that time, the Nautilus design was a bit niche/marmite and they hung about in dealers' windows, but in the last couple of years everyone seems to be all over it, with the result that it's now one of the most instantly-recognisable high-end watches out there. I certainly wouldn't wear it in any large city.

So yes, less fun.

Blog Entries
    Yes, it's still fun. A lot of fun, actually.

First of all, Rolex and Patek are hardly the be all and end all of collecting. There are loads of other brands out there at all levels, for all tastes and for all pockets.

Secondly, there is a certain amount of... 'challenge' in the Rolex situation that occupies so much mindspace at the moment. Rolex have created a challenge and part of collecting is, if you wish, beating them. There's a kind of fun in that -- if you want to play that game. Of course, it's always worth remembering that it's not mandatory to play it: See my first point above, other brands exist.

Grand Master
    Overall, my answer to the question is still a resounding 'yes', but it's not as much fun as it once was.

I think the halcyon days were between 2000 and approx 2011. The hobby has been driven by the internet, which has provided a worldwide market for buyers with plenty of genuine bargains to be had in the earlier days. The internet has also provided access to lots of good information, generally it's had a positive influence, but it has driven prices up in my view. In recent years the prices of most watches have risen to a level that, for me, dilutes the pleasure. 10 years ago a watch would be worth maybe £2k, now that same watch is over £4K, personally I was happier wearing it when it was worth half it's current value.

I think the influx of investment money has skewed the market for some brands and it's also dragged up the prices of the lesser stuff. All this has a negative impact for the genuine enthusiasts who were happier when the watches were affordable. Yesterday I attempted to buy a simple steel watch for £4K, that's something I never thought I`d do, but that's where the market's gone and I reluctantly accept that it's a case of pay up or do without.

For me, the fashion trend towards larger watches has had a negative impact, when I look in the shop windows nowadays I rarely see a watch that's what I would term an acceptable size.

The cost of servicing/maintenance has risen steeply too, fuelled by the restrictions on parts supply. If I didn`t service my own watches there's no way I`d own as many as I currently have, I`d limit it to around 5 or 6. There's stuff I can`t/won't work on so even for me this is a factor that can`t be ignored; ironically there are a couple of watches I really like that fall into that category, to use an analogy I wouldn't service my Aston Martin if I owned one but I`ll happily work on my MGB.

Despite the negatives, prices have continued to rise and interest from collectors at all levels seems to increase. That's against a backdrop of fewer people bothering to wear a conventional wristwatch thesedays.

Absolutely a lot of fun out there - as mentioned take out some of the big brands and some vintage hype and there is a LOT to like for relatively good value. Micro brands have given so many interesting watches and if you have the cash, the higher end of independent watchmaking opens up some really amazing things.

I think a lot of this depends on where you are on your journey and how you deploy funds. I've been fortunate to try a lot of the big brands and have stuff from them I like, but little desire to try more. I've also only ever spent and bought things I could 'afford' to lose. However a lot of people are stretching themselves and are beyond this threshold - hence retaining value becomes the number one priority. They cannot afford to lose. Those are the ones in my mind are the problem and should be re-evaluating what they spend their money on.

Oh I should add - Social Media and Instagram has also led to a lot of chasing and making things less interesting...

Enjoy it 100%
    I just ignore the losers and idiots who try to spoil the fun by constant whining and moaning and negativity.

Master
    I think the hobby is more enjoyable than it's ever been.

The internet is full of information and makes buying and selling dead easy. You can easily chose whether you go private or via dealers.

You can spend a lot of time on the PC reading hundreds of articles as well as reading reviews. YouTube is also entertaining as well as useful.

I see the increase in prices as a bonus. People will spend good money to repair and preserve good watches and then wear them. Cheap old watches were often left unloved in the cupboard drawer. So expect to see more old watches being preserved and worn on a daily basis. Our sons will be able to wear what our fathers wore and that is good.

I wear a Rolex every day of the week and go everywhere with one on my wrist and have had no trouble at all.

I am happy with the way things are.

Master
    If you managed to read a whole Ariel Adams piece, I salute your endurance.

Still enjoy watches, very rarely actually buying anything. Partly due to not wanting to sell what I've found over the years, partly because I don't want more service costs, partly because everything is too expensive.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 6th August 2019 at 14:44.

A few years back I was buying watches on here, trying them out and selling or trading them on for something else. The ones I liked I went back to buy again. I had a Tudor Snowflake that needed a bit of work but I knew I could pick up a lovely example for £2k or less. I tried out an Autavia GMT, Tudor Big Block, a couple of pre-moon Speedies, manual wind Autavia 7763s, a Red Sub and lots more. Nowadays they're all gone or up for ridiculous sums of money. So no, for me it's not as fun as it was. On the other hand I still have a load of watches I wouldn't be able to afford now, and when I had a cull of rarely-worn watches last year I bought three I'd wanted for some time, albeit just one vintage.

One thing I don't like is the forum's swing towards profit and talking about waiting lists and how desirable Rolexes are now when they simply didn't sell a few years back when no one was interested in making money from them.
    "A man of little significance"

Not as much fun as it was.

Back in the day when you could find a second hand Sub anywhere for £1500 or a New Speedy Pro for the same price it was a lot nicer IMO.

I've seen this forum change from a watch lovers/collectors place to an investors/speculators hang out.

You only had to read the frankly pathetic thread about bits of plastic being withheld by dealers and the uproar that brought about to realise that the fun had gone out of it and it was all money,money,money.

When I first turned up here there were threads about watches of interest and information about them, much of it vintage. Nowadays stuff like that drops off the bottom of the page quicker than you can say knife.

Although I have a large watch collection I really only spend my time in the G&D now.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Variety was the draw when first starting out. Unfortunately unless your wallet is exceptionally big then that original line up of watches have dwindled down considerably. Nevertheless, still get excited but considerably more choosy and less rash than I was in my earlier days and ironically returning to many original models that ignited my passion.

I have always looked at watch collecting as a hobby with a cost. The point that many now seem obsessed by residuals, or having the current must have watches hasn’t significantly diminished my enjoyment of the hobby.

There is also another angle to all this - enjoying what you have and simply appreciating other watches without having utter lust to buy. A lot to be said about that.....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I just see it as an ever changing thing. There are bargains on ebay daily for those who really do care about watches and who can tell the difference between a decent watch and a pile of dross without a Hodinkee article to tell them what they like. I still find that most watches I buy tell me a story and force me to learn a little bit more every time. There are few collectors who I have great respect for, afternoon Neil, but the long discussions about the desirability of delryn are probably a thing of the past. I feel lucky that when I was learning, I was surrounded by now legendary folk who would debate and discuss endlessly and valued the long slow carefully researched post. These days it doesn't feel like that.

Mind you:

https://historyhustle.com/2500-years...er-generation/

The bottom line is that the quality of competition on ebay has collapsed. If you want a world standard watch and know your onions then the world is your oyster, just don't expect many people to value it beyond yourself.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, for me it is.
    I dont really class myself as a collector though. I have 6 watches which is nowt in comparison to a proper collector per se.
    But, Ive made a few good friends, the chatter is brilliant, and im often talking watches even when im not buying them.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    There is also another angle to all this - enjoying what you have and simply appreciating other watches without having utter lust to buy. A lot to be said about that.....
    I don't know about lust, but I treat buying watches on ebay mostly like going fishing, literally, not metaphorically - when I used to go fishing as a kid I like that you could look at the lake or river conditions, decide what you were after and how and then sit and watch a float for hours while the world happened around you and all the timid creatures of the bank got used to your silence and stillness.

And then something happens and it's all a bit manic. Often backing up intuition with fast research and then a more leisurely research of what you've got, assuming that you hadn't already done it. The idea of trying to butter up salesmen to get a generic overpriced flock watch is not for me, but I'll happily pick up bargains whenever I want to relax.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    I don't know about lust, but I treat buying watches on ebay mostly like going fishing, literally, not metaphorically - when I used to go fishing as a kid I like that you could look at the lake or river conditions, decide what you were after and how and then sit and watch a float for hours while the world happened around you and all the timid creatures of the bank got used to your silence and stillness.

And then something happens and it's all a bit manic. Often backing up intuition with fast research and then a more leisurely research of what you've got, assuming that you hadn't already done it. The idea of trying to butter up salesmen to get a generic overpriced flock watch is not for me, but I'll happily pick up bargains whenever I want to relax.
    Lust seems to be more applicable term for a lot of the stuff that garners Instagram appeal. Usually the latest, hippest in demand trinkets. Hodinkee as well haven't helped.

What you describe is perfectly normal watch buying behaviour IMO as an enthusiast, nothing wrong with that at all!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Lust seems to be more applicable term for a lot of the stuff that garners Instagram appeal. Usually the latest, hippest in demand trinkets. Hodinkee as well haven't helped.

What you describe is perfectly normal watch buying behaviour IMO as an enthusiast, nothing wrong with that at all!

So... How much do you charge an hour for telephone consultation about collecting watches with my wife?

So... How much do you charge an hour for telephone consultation about collecting watches with my wife?
    As a single man I may not be the best chap for the job

My current rationalisation - money in the bank isn't really doing much. After investments and having enough for rainy days you might as well spend the rest. Your issue is the missus will want the money spent on her

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    "A few years back I was buying watches on here, trying them out and selling or trading them on for something else. The ones I liked I went back to buy again."
    I'm a chronic flipper, so buying and selling has been a big part of the fun. I guess that make me less of a collector and more of a borrower? Any losses can be offset by buying smart - part of the fun - and careful selling. Losses can be offset by the enjoyment I had with the item. Cost of ownership: tried a watch I have been interested in, learned something in the process, at a reasonable cost for the hobby.

Anyway, at least over here, that has been changing, as new ax rules and enforcement are starting to kick in.

For 2018 taxes I received an IRS 1099 form from Paypal for the $ value of the items I sold using that service. The IRS says you have to sell more than $20,000 USD in a calendar year before you have to declare the value as income ... but the State I live in supersedes that: $600.

My other hobby is photography, so I bought and sold lenses, and sometimes bodies too, as needs changes. Or I wanted to try something out.

Last year, between watches and camera gear, the 1099 I was gifted from PayPal was not remotely near $20k, but well north of $600. Enough to put a new wrinkle to consider about carefree flipping.

The joy has gone but I remain stubbornly committed.
    What was once insider knowledge and devotee speak has become mainstream, even forming the basis of much of the marketing and branding.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Not as much fun as it was.

Back in the day when you could find a second hand Sub anywhere for £1500 or a New Speedy Pro for the same price it was a lot nicer IMO.

I've seen this forum change from a watch lovers/collectors place to an investors/speculators hang out.

You only had to read the frankly pathetic thread about bits of plastic being withheld by dealers and the uproar that brought about to realise that the fun had gone out of it and it was all money,money,money.

When I first turned up here there were threads about watches of interest and information about them, much of it vintage. Nowadays stuff like that drops off the bottom of the page quicker than you can say knife.

Although I have a large watch collection I really only spend my time in the G&D now.
    That pretty much sums up where I am right now with horology, which is why I post here less often than I did. I still love the watches I own, and I don't lust after the 'latest and greatest'; I just find that I spend more time fishing than I do on watches now - more fun less hype.

I'll continue visiting though, and contribute to threads that interest me.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I just see it as an ever changing thing. There are bargains on ebay daily for those who really do care about watches and who can tell the difference between a decent watch and a pile of dross without a Hodinkee article to tell them what they like. I still find that most watches I buy tell me a story and force me to learn a little bit more every time. There are few collectors who I have great respect for, afternoon Neil, but the long discussions about the desirability of delryn are probably a thing of the past. I feel lucky that when I was learning, I was surrounded by now legendary folk who would debate and discuss endlessly and valued the long slow carefully researched post. These days it doesn't feel like that.
    Afternoon Matt.

Needless to say I completely agree with your measured post.

It's sad to think of those great old experts we used to spar with who have either moved on or perhaps departed this life for good.

Anyway, about that delrin.........
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Definitely fun, although it’s only recently I’ve had to accept that I am, in fact, a collector.

It must be frustrating if what you want are the hot unicorn watches, but there is so much interesting stuff if you open your mind a bit. If you accept that your choices are a private pleasure, and you don’t need the mass forum adulation that comes with something with a 10 year waiting list, then it’s still fun.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading about and joining in discussions here occasionally is still fun and a nice diversion from the stresses and strains of everyday life.

I'm no collector though - just like to own and use a few nice watches.

With just one watch and no desire to add more for almost three years now, I still enjoy the hobby. My interest level has waxed and waned while I've only had the Explorer on my wrist, but I've always appreciated it for the fine timepiece that it is, and although there were long periods when I didn't feel the weekly compulsion to gaze into the shop window that is the Friday thread, for the last couple of months the bug is back!

So one doesn't have to even have a collection to enjoy this pastime! An appreciation of watches is enough, and nothing's changed recently to change that.

I wouldn't call myself a collector, more of a serial flipper who likes watches.
    I've never really thought of it as fun, more like an addiction!
    I certainly enjoy looking for the next watch though but not settling on and enjoying the watches I already have is pretty frustrating.

As a new collector/ enthusiast and being into the vintage side of watches, the amount of information thats available on the internet has made a big difference to my learning curve .Its so easy to now research a specific watch , case ref or caliber.

For me the best part is the hunt ! trawling the internet Ebay ect , visiting antique centers and fairs . I can only dream about the prices I would have been paying about 20 years ago .

It's still fun for me but then I've never collected watches as investments or taken it too seriously. My hobby has definitely evolved though, moving from Russian watches to Kontikis, Titonis and other random stuff that I've hunted down and bought (for too much money usually) purely because I thought it looked nice. Now I'm onto the servicing side of things and scouring eBay for random tools etc. Where does it end? The collecting may end when I find that damn Titoni with a flying panda on the dial. 5+ years and counting I've been searching for that one...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The hobby has been driven by the internet, which has provided a worldwide market for buyers with plenty of genuine bargains to be had in the earlier days. The internet has also provided access to lots of good information, generally it's had a positive influence, but it has driven prices up in my view.
    Totally agree.

Master
    It's a question that will be incredibly individual (pricing, perceptions brand availability, personal safety etc), but for me I definitely find watches just as enjoyable as before.

Nothing really much has changed - at whatever price point I was prepared to play (insert number here!) there is more availability than before. Prices in general have lifted, but we can say that for houses, whisky, wine - any kind of asset - and is more about financial system than about watches. So for a given price point it will be different watches than would have been accessible in the past. However if anything I would say with all the historic, kickstarter, and brands releasing new models, PLUS the awareness via internet and social media, it may be more interesting than before.

If anything the problem now seems to be there are too many watches, which makes a challenge to curate a few that are a well balanced collection, and that really speak to individual preference and enjoyment.

I don't think people who worry about stickers and resale value and getting on the list at their AD are really 'collectors'.

To me, a collection doesn't imply you simply walk in and pick up whatever you want if your credit limit is high enough and then store it away for some future date when you sell it.

A collection is about searching out something unusual (or not) that appeals to you, maybe because it's different to everything else or maybe it's almost the same, but slightly different.

But there should be a challenge and a sense of achievement in finding your latest addition.

If you can achieve that, for yourself, not for profit or to impress someone else, then, sure watch collecting is lots of fun.

If you're agonising about having the 'must have' watch according some Vlogger, the guys down the golf club or the high flyers in the office, then I guess it's no fun at all, but that doesn't seem like being a watch collector, to me...

M

I thought my little corner of watch collecting was quite safe and still fun. But even in the vintage digital area prices are getting silly!

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/casio/gmw-62--id11489515.htm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Prices in general have lifted, but we can say that for houses, whisky, wine - any kind of asset - and is more about financial system than about watches.
    Although I think it true to say that collectibles of all sorts have outperformed retail prices in general, and I think this is due to the facilitating effect of the Internet.

Is Being A Watch Collector Still Fun?

Yes.

Master
    It's still just as interesting and fun IMO.

In fact the explosion of the interweb has added even more sources, made so much easier and less frustrating to access with decent internet speed - that's how long I've been into watches. I remember discovering Timezone in the 90s and being blown away by the info and content.

Now you've all the Fora/Forums, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest, FB et al. Amazing.

You could spend all day every day just wasting your day/life consuming WIS content.

As for prices, for some Brands they have got very high, but there are still plenty of affordable choices. Alas, my recentish infection by the Panivirus (Panerai!!!!) is not a cheap path and unlike Rolex the pre-owned market isn't forgiving, and thus one needs to be more considered.

After decades of Rolex fanaticism and extensive ownership the price rises, collector and investor hoovering, dealer and production BS and how relatively common place they are, I'm over it and much as I love some of the models and quality I just can't be arsed now and have found a new home for my interest in Panerai.

I still like a load of other watches but none holds up against a 1950 case Luminor IMO and in my experience. Anything I buy gets flipped and a PAM is back on the wrist. I wonder how many more years this will last before I flip loyalties again. Blancpain and Breguet are turning the head but not fully....

See, still fun :)

...I've also only ever spent and bought things I could 'afford' to lose. However a lot of people are stretching themselves and are beyond this threshold - hence retaining value becomes the number one priority. They cannot afford to lose. Those are the ones in my mind are the problem and should be re-evaluating what they spend their money on......
    "When I speak to emerging watch collectors today, I’m often disappointed in how laser-focused on resale value some of them tend to be. I always wondered, “Why are people making such fuss about losing money on a purchase they are supposed to be able to afford in the first place?” Watches should be bought with disposable income. If you need to consider resale value for a watch, you probably can’t really afford the product in the first place." (A. Adams)

Ouch! And too true.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    "When I speak to emerging watch collectors today, I’m often disappointed in how laser-focused on resale value some of them tend to be. I always wondered, “Why are people making such fuss about losing money on a purchase they are supposed to be able to afford in the first place?” Watches should be bought with disposable income. If you need to consider resale value for a watch, you probably can’t really afford the product in the first place." (A. Adams)

Ouch! And too true.
    It used to be possible to factor in losing a bit on a watch if deciding to pass it on (to another enthusiast) and right it off as cost of ownership, even pleasure of ownership. Of course a few went up too. Nowadays, not so much.
    Gray

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I don't think people who worry about stickers and resale value and getting on the list at their AD are really 'collectors'.

To me, a collection doesn't imply you simply walk in and pick up whatever you want if your credit limit is high enough and then store it away for some future date when you sell it.

A collection is about searching out something unusual (or not) that appeals to you, maybe because it's different to everything else or maybe it's almost the same, but slightly different.

But there should be a challenge and a sense of achievement in finding your latest addition.

If you can achieve that, for yourself, not for profit or to impress someone else, then, sure watch collecting is lots of fun.

If you're agonising about having the 'must have' watch according some Vlogger, the guys down the golf club or the high flyers in the office, then I guess it's no fun at all, but that doesn't seem like being a watch collector, to me...

M
    Couldn't agree more. The obsession with having the latest, impossible to get, sparkly bauble only to then hoard it away, untouched, has nothing to do with the joy of collecting and everything to do with the, at best, smug satisfaction, at worst, schadenfreude, derived from owning what others can't. The Gollum-like monomania displayed in some posts is as ridiculous as it is dispiriting.

But the good news is that 99.99999% of all watches aren't SS Rolex sports models :)

Craftsman
    Yes is is, but spoilt by the Investors.

Master
    Well said.

Also, I’ve found how much I enjoy a watch has little to do with its cost or trendiness.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

Ouch! And too true.
    This plus social media (in particular Instagram) sums it all up really.

I think very few enthusiasts are true collectors.
    The broader and more appropriate question is : Is this hobby still fun for you?
    If not you shouldn’t be here unless you get joy from repeatedly expressing your bitterness or raining on someone
    else’s parade. If you are bitter because you can’t afford or source a Rolex or troubled by someone talking about their latest conquest,stay away from Rolex threads and concentrate on other brands. If the hobby is no longer fun, there are plenty others. This hobby is not all about Rolex or other ‘shiny baubles or latest trinkets’. Those who talk about the hobby in those terms are simply burnt out or bitter. This hobby is obviously not for them.
    While preoccupation with resale value is tiresome, there are some who skimp and save for their dream watch and feel better with some reassurance that should need arise they have something to fall back upon. Being able to afford a watch is a very nebulous term and can mean different things.
    Overall, a hobby should be something you can derive satisfaction and joy from.
    If it is making you bitter or frustrated, obviously you would be better advised to derive some constructive pleasure from different pursuits.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 7th August 2019 at 13:10.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I think very few enthusiasts are true collectors.
    The broader and more appropriate question is : Is this hobby still fun for you?
    If not you shouldn’t be here unless you get joy from repeatedly expressing your bitterness or raining on someone
    else’s parade. If you are bitter because you can’t afford or source a Rolex or troubled by someone talking about their latest conquest,stay away from Rolex threads and concentrate on other brands. If the hobby is no longer fun, there are plenty others. This hobby is not all about Rolex or other ‘shiny baubles or latest trinkets’. Those who talk about the hobby in those terms are simply burnt out or bitter. This hobby is obviously not for them.
    While preoccupation with resale value is tiresome, there are some who skimp and save for their dream watch and feel better with some reassurance that should need arise they have something to fall back upon. Being able to afford a watch is a very nebulous term and can mean different things.
    Overall, a hobby should be something you can derive satisfaction and joy from.
    If it is making you bitter or frustrated, obviously you would be better advised to derive some constructive pleasure from different pursuits.
    Nonsense. One can tire of London without tiring of life.
    Last edited by ColDaspin; 7th August 2019 at 14:26.