closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What's your preference on straps / bracelets?

What's your preference on straps / bracelets?

So in general I have preferred bracelets on most of my watches, I've dabbled a few times with straps, but never really been keen on any.

I ordered a couple of straps which were on sale at watchgecko, and tried one on my GS after seeing some really nice straps on some white dial watches here.

Anyway I was quite pleased with the result, what do you guys think, and what's your preference if you have one?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

ETA;
    Strap is this one
    Last edited by Wyvern971; 6th August 2019 at 08:28.

Master
    All of mine (7 and a BB58 to come) have bracelets.
    I wouldn't even consider a strap even though some, Nomos for instance are absolutely beautiful.

Master
    Oyster bracelet on my DJ41,
    Omega black NATO on my 2254,
    Omega bracelet on my Speedmaster Pro,
    MOD NATOs on my CWC diver & G10.
    I also have a black leather strap from SteveoStraps & an SPV1 from GasGasBones that go on my Speedy from time to time. I'd like a rubber strap (98000085 I think) for my 2254 but don't want to pay the money because I'm mean...

I've got my 2254 on a bracelet, tried several straps, but nothing that I thought fit, but with the box I now have I might give a few a go again on it.

I do think the Omega options are nice, but far more expensive than after market unfortunately

Craftsman
    Struggle with bracelets. Can never get the correct fit. So mainly straps. Only exception is the speedy pro. For some reason the bracelet works for me.

Craftsman
    I used to be a definite bracelet person, I think because they were generally the more expensive option and therefore I considered them to be 'better'. However, over the years I've swung to the complete opposite and now will only wear a watch on a strap, because it's more comfortable and I think it looks a lot nicer.

I chop and change. My GS is currently on a brown leather strap, my Explorer 2 42mm on a black NATO. Next week they could both be back on their bracelets.
    "A man of little significance"

Bracelet or rubber (preferably vintage) for me, with the occasional NATO; definitely no leather.

Out of curiosity, why no leather?
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Bracelet or rubber (preferably vintage) for me, with the occasional NATO; definitely no leather.

Master
    I have tended towards bracelets given the microadjustments, but some watches do work well on leather straps, particularly GS given their taper and short lugs (see mine attached). On other watches like my explorers, the gap between the bottom of the case and edge of the straps seem unsightly.

P.S. love your 109... Might be one I used to own - did you get it from a TZ member?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post
    Out of curiosity, why no leather?

Just prefer steel or rubber! I've had leather before (have even made some of my own), but have come to realise over time they're not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    I have tended towards bracelets given the microadjustments, but some watches do work well on leather straps, particularly GS given their taper and short lugs (see mine attached). On other watches like my explorers, the gap between the bottom of the case and edge of the straps seem unsightly.

P.S. love your 109... Might be one I used to own - did you get it from a TZ member?
    It is indeed your former 109.

Before I was a member on here, I asked my brother to get it on my behalf as he knew I'd been looking at GS's, he pinged me when it cropped up on SC.

Master
    For watches that originally came on steel bracelets or else alligator / alligator grain black leather, I’ve rarely seen them look better when people try to improve them with something else (though I’m starting to enjoy Perlons). Possible exception, the Speedy automatic, they look better to me on a strap. I’ve also seen one too many Natos looking uncomfortably bulky, a mess of fastening overshadowing the watch itself - maybe it’s the way the owner did it rather than the strap.

For GS it bears repeating that the half links are actually two thirds links, meaning that with the right combination you can adjust the bracelet in increments of a third of a link, so it should always be possible to get a good fit, though it may take a few goes and some trial and error.

Craftsman
    I wear most watches on Natos, with the exception of those which come with superlative bracelets, (IMHO in any case). I haven't done the Nato thing with any of the following for this reason:

PRS-21
    Stowa Seatime
    Omega Speedmaster MK II

(Oh and the Sinn UX when I had it).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post
    I've got my 2254 on a bracelet, tried several straps, but nothing that I thought fit, but with the box I now have I might give a few a go again on it.

I do think the Omega options are nice, but far more expensive than after market unfortunately

I'm using the plain black one that was supplied with my Moonwatch, it looks very good with the 2254.

I have a couple of dress watches that are only worn with a leather strap.

Most of my watches were bought on a bracelet and remain on a bracelet. For me the bracelet is more comfortable, easier to keep the watch clean and is less bulky under a cuff than most straps.

Main exception for me is my BB58 that I am comfortable wearing on a range of vintage leather, rubber, MN, NATO and bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    I used to be a definite bracelet person, I think because they were generally the more expensive option and therefore I considered them to be 'better'. However, over the years I've swung to the complete opposite and now will only wear a watch on a strap, because it's more comfortable and I think it looks a lot nicer.
    ^^^^ This, also they don't weigh so much.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

It does depend on the watch. My Rolex are on bracelets, as anything else seems wrong, especially this new trend (think Bulang etc) for vintage leather on a Rolex. Same with a Seiko Monster (outstanding bracelet) and a B&R Demineur, where bracelet is best.

My “dress” watches, which are a vintage IWC, and a dressy B&R are on leather, which seems correct.

I have a PVD Breitling which suits its fabric strap, but PVD and bracelets don’t mix.

So all options are good, but it’s highly watch dependent

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much all of my watches that come on straps stay on them and it's the same for bracelets, I rarely swap one for the other. I do enjoy swapping straps, for example different NATOs or rubber, as it's a cheap and easy way to change the look of a watch.

Craftsman
    I prefer to make my own.

Personally, I can get on with pretty much anything and I’m constantly swapping straps, whether they be steel, leather or fabric of some kind. However, some watches are definitely more adaptable than others.

My little Omega Speedmaster looks as good on leather as it did on the original bracelet but I can’t see me ever putting my Milgauss on anything other than the original SS. You never know though.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Being a confirmed Paneristi I enjoy changing straps just about every time I take a watch from the safe to wear. Leather, NATO and rubber all work IMHO. Conversely I tend to wear a Rolex on the original bracelet, so long as they have the adjustable clasp. Otherwise have on NATO or canvas.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I wear rolex on bracelet as imo thats what works. seiko on rubber for the same reason.
    I tend to stick with what manufacturers had in mind.
    Id only wear leather on panerai really.

Master
    By far my preference is bracelet, with rubber a distant second. Leather I can deal with on certain types of watch and even though I own quite a few I've never found a NATO that I've got on with.
    The caveat being is that there MUST be decent micro adjust ability in the bracelet or I have to luck out and it will work with my wrist. similarly rubber must have micro adjust and leather enough strap holes to allow similar.