closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice watch for sale.....shame the seller's a Bear Pit Bozo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lostp View Post
    Apologies for my ignorance but what is the Bear Pit?

After all these posts I am very curious but I can't seem to find it...
    You don’t want to!

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Physician, heal thyself.
    Paul, you’re one of the posters whose contributions I’ve always found the most enjoyable and educational and I’m not alone in saying it’s good to see you back from your sabbatical. Nevertheless the above pretty well hits the nail on the head.

OP, part of being in a society is knowing what is right and wrong in which situation you are in. It is perfectly acceptable to behave differently where the rules are different. Therefore those who choose to be bozos in the BP, but act differently (or according to the rules of that society) in watch talk are committing no wrong.
    By deliberately starting this thread in the wrong location, you are the one who is not conforming to the rules of this society.

I don't know who are the 'bozos' in the Bear Pit simply because I don't bother with it.

There are people on the forum that I tend to avoid, but while I can see what Paul had in mind with his original post, I think the decision to post in Watch Talk was an error of judgement.

The fact that some chose to fuel the fire says something about them too...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

My dear fellow members, if you have anything to say on the topic could please take it the BP and let this thread die. Please.

(I’m guilty myself commenting early on, now post edited as I should've known better)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Buy the watch.

Use it as a reason to engage with a fellow watch enthusiast on a more constructive ‘real world’ basis.

Both parties realise that actually, on the big scheme of things, the other party is actually a pretty good chap.

Faith in TZ civilisation is restored.

You have the warm feeling that you have done the mature, constructive and progressive thing.

You get a watch that you want;

We all rejoice!

Worth a try?

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Buy the watch.

Use it as a reason to engage with a fellow watch enthusiast on a more constructive ‘real world’ basis.

Both parties realise that actually, on the big scheme of things, the other party is actually a pretty good chap.

You have the warm feeling that you have done the mature, constructive and progressive thing.

We all rejoice!

Worth a try?
    An oasis of common sense.
    I think this thread should be moved to BP.
    It is not doing anyone favours here on the WT.
    I have no reason to believe that Paul is anything but a stand up guy, even if a bit irascible. It was bad judgement on his part to post this here, even if he believes he has genuine grievances against some.
    Hate to see the treatment he is getting here.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 7th August 2019 at 12:50.

Apologies for my ignorance but what is the Bear Pit?

After all these posts I am very curious but I can't seem to find it...
    Be patient.
    Six years and 6000 posts will get you there:-)
    Once you get there, you can give up your cable TV subscription. There is enough entertainment there.

Master
    Rajen: every reason?

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Rajen: every reason?
    Thanks. Suitably amended.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    An oasis of common sense.
    I think this thread should be moved to BP.
    It is not doing anyone favours here on the WT.
    I have no reason to believe that Paul is anything but a stand up guy, even if a bit irascible. It was bad judgement on his part to post this here, even if he believes he has genuine grievances against some.
    A) who is going to move it?

B) the OP has already stated he hates the good ship BP and many who sail upon her, hence why this post is here.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Hello,

I havent read any of the replies beyond the first 3 or 4 (who has the time?!), but I wanted to echo an early comment 'dont go on The Bear Pit then'.

I said a couple of years ago that it was the worst part of any forum I have been on - rude, offensive, nasty, petty and just really a disappointing and sad place. So, I never go there, and I must admit I really dont feel any sort of loss for it.

Forums like this, when you have way too much free time like the regular posters, suck you in and it's somewhat akin to a soap opera; everyone knows everything, the lace curtains are twitching and it all gets a bit ridiculous.

Happiness lies outside of internet forums (hence I have barely posted in the last year or so).

Anyway, sorry to ramble!.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    A) who is going to move it?
    Only He who can. He has done it before.
    Out of respect for a long standing member and overall a positive force, I hope he will when he has time.
    Right now he is understandably preoccupied with more pressing issues.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    OP, part of being in a society is knowing what is right and wrong in which situation you are in. It is perfectly acceptable to behave differently where the rules are different. Therefore those who choose to be bozos in the BP, but act differently (or according to the rules of that society) in watch talk are committing no wrong.
    By deliberately starting this thread in the wrong location, you are the one who is not conforming to the rules of this society.
    Not sure I’m on board with this.
    Those who are constantly on the Bear Pit, on the whole are there so they can be obnoxious. They may not be wrong in what they are doing but that’s it by and large.
    It’s like I’ve decided to give myself licence to pop down to Sainsbury’s and be as unpleasant as I like. In theory as long as I don’t physically threaten verbally or physically to the point where an able bodied individual is put in fear of attack I could do this every day of the week . Would I choose to do this ? Of course not.
    To me this rule about where he dared to put his post is being turned on him as some greater Sin than it is. I don’t think he named the individual ?
    Those on the Bear Pit who spend so much time ranting. Why?

Brought it upon himself - hates the BP but starts a BP style thread here and calls someone a bozo.

What should he expect?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Brought it upon himself - hates the BP but starts a BP style thread here and calls someone a bozo.

What should he expect?
    Why don`t you read exactly what I posted in my last post on this thread, then try adding a constructive considered reply. What term should I have used?....is Draft Thread Devotees more acceptable to you?

The point I made, and I`ll make it again, is that my decision not to pursue a sale was influenced heavily by the fact that I`ve lost respect for the seller on the basis of how he conducts himself on certain parts of this forum. That comment can be taken in general context, I named no-one publicly, but there's a list of people I won't have further dealings with for this reason. I`ve no doubt there are some who won`t deal with me either, but having been on the receiving end of the spineless barbs and jibes from the Bear Pit Posse I don`t think my stance is unreasonable. Indeed, those who choose not to deal with me are applying the same logic........I must've upset a few of them at some point in the past!

I believe this topic is worthy of general discussion, it's a question of forum behaviour and ethics, I posted it out of frustration as much as anything. Suggest a few of you try playing the ball and not the man, think about the points, decide whether they're valid, then comment accordingly. I`ve now made an alternative buying decision so the watch in question is no longer on my radar, but the point still remains valid.

Watch Talk: Primarily for discussion of watches and accessories but no hard and fast rules

The Bear Pit: If you want to express strong views, then do it here and leave the rest of the forums alone. This is not a place for vendettas or personal attacks.
    What's so difficult to understand?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

What should he expect?
    Why don`t you read exactly what I posted in my last post on this thread, then try adding a constructive considered reply. What term should I have used?....is Draft Thread Devotees more acceptable to you?

The point I made, and I`ll make it again, is that my decision not to pursue a sale was influenced heavily by the fact that I`ve lost respect for the seller on the basis of how he conducts himself on certain parts of this forum. That comment can be taken in general context, I named no-one publicly, but there's a list of people I won't have further dealings with for this reason. I`ve no doubt there are some who won`t deal with me either, but having been on the receiving end of the spineless barbs and jibes from the Bear Pit Posse I don`t think my stance is unreasonable. Indeed, those who choose not to deal with me are applying the same logic........I must've upset a few of them at some point in the past!

I believe this topic is worthy of general discussion, it's a question of forum behaviour and ethics, I posted it out of frustration as much as anything. Suggest a few of you try playing the ball and not the man, think about the points, decide whether they're valid, then comment accordingly. I`ve now made an alternative buying decision so the watch in question is no longer on my radar, but the point still remains valid.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

The man starts fights regularly, comes into the bear pit to have a go at people before gathering petticoat and leaving because he doesnt like the bear pit, the man has flounced from TZ in a moment of victim pique only to return and post a thread in watch talk calling somebody selling a watch a bozo during a seperate fit of pique regarding a watch on SC.
    As far as conduct is concerned, the man is no better than people who keep their snark to a corner of the forum dedicated to it.
    Given the circumstances, "the ball" has got nothing to do with the way that "the man" repeatedly behaves.

Not sure your last post (below) is relevant, wasn't replying to you anyway. 'Bozo' is a term of abuse, 'Draft Thread Devotees' isn't.

Disagree.

Some folks really do rely on medication and they don’t take kindly to throwaway quips like this.

I’s all about concern for impact, would you say that in a face to face conversation, and would you be happy if your wife/family knew you were making spiteful comments like this on a forum?

Run these two tests before clicking on the reply button, you may do yourself a favour.

Saw your comment on the Draft Thread aimed at me.........pathetic!

OK, I'm going to bite. Forum behaviour and ethics? The fact you've thrown a public strop like a hormonal teenager who can't get what they want speaks volumes. Stop spitting out your dummy and grow up.

I'm pleased you managed to make an alternative buying decision and hope you can enjoy the rest of your week

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    The man starts fights regularly, comes into the bear pit to have a go at people before gathering petticoat and leaving because he doesnt like the bear pit, the man has flounced from TZ in a moment of victim pique only to return and post a thread in watch talk calling somebody selling a watch a bozo during a seperate fit of pique regarding a watch on SC.
    As far as conduct is concerned, the man is no better than people who keep their snark to a corner of the forum dedicated to it.
    Given the circumstances, "the ball" has got nothing to do with the way that "the man" repeatedly behaves.
    Disagree.

Recent examples?....starts fights? OK, I`ve I haven`t always conducted myself as I should, I`ll admit that, but I`ve recognised that failing and perhaps others should do likewise..

Victim pique?.....never heard that one before. I took time away from this place for several reasons that I stated at the time.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    OK, I'm going to bite. Forum behaviour and ethics? The fact you've thrown a public strop like a hormonal teenager who can't get what they want speaks volumes. Stop spitting out your dummy and grow up.

I'm pleased you managed to make an alternative buying decision and hope you can enjoy the rest of your week
    Feel better for that?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

Interesting response, but not worth a reply.

Feel better for that?
    I feel no different.

Interesting response, but not worth a reply.
    I like that you replied before deciding it wasn't worth a reply

Grand Master
    OK, clearly this debate will continue and it's reached a stage where it isn`t appropriate to do so on the open forum. For that reason alone I'll open a thread in the Bear Pit to allow those who wish to contribute to do so.

Form an orderly queue, I only bet on certainties and I can be certain who'll respond.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Disagree.

Recent examples?....starts fights? OK, I`ve I haven`t always conducted myself as I should, I`ll admit that, but I`ve recognised that failing and perhaps others should do likewise..

Victim pique?.....never heard that one before. I took time away from this place for several reasons that I stated at the time.
    Victim pique is exactly what youre doing now.

You can look through your own recent posts for examples of calling folk a-holes etc if you want.
    "Had a think but decided i wont let the forum idiots drive me away" is an immediate example from this thread that frames you as a victim of others, however its not others who post threads in WT calling people bozos is it?
    There is no "perhaps others should do likewise.." because 99.9% others don't use public areas of the forum to air their laundry.
    If the Bear Pit bothers you that much, don't read it and don't contribute to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Watch Talk: Primarily for discussion of watches and accessories but no hard and fast rules
    The Bear Pit: If you want to express strong views, then do it here and leave the rest of the forums alone. This is not a place for vendettas or personal attacks.

What's so difficult to understand?
    EXACTLY!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I don't always agree with you but would still buy a watch that you'd serviced.
    I've changed my mind. And I don't mean about agreeing with you.

Wow, a whole bunch of testosterone in this thread. Hamlet anyone? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRwBBI1TGHM

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Buy the watch.

We all rejoice!

Worth a try?
    Don't like seeing a level'headed post go unreplied to, so - nice try

What watch was it. And what has he said in the Bear Pit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JFW View Post
    What watch was it. And what has he said in the Bear Pit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TZ-UK mobile app
    We don't know and as far as I can tell, no one's that bothered about finding out.

He's rambled on a fair bit.
    Last edited by Foxy100; 7th August 2019 at 22:15.

I find this forum very strange, I’ve only been on here a short while and tbh don’t think I will be posting much the op seems to be a very self important guy with obvious social problems , when I read the username it rang a bell in my head and sure enough the couple of post I did put on here where heavy questioned by the op and tbh put me off giving my opinion on the forum because I felt I just couldn’t be bothered with it, tbh the forum seem inundated with rolex threads and what is this bear pit? Is this some vip section if so keep it I’m really not gonna lose sleep over it

Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    I find this forum very strange, I’ve only been on here a short while and tbh don’t think I will be posting much the op seems to be a very self important guy with obvious social problems , when I read the username it rang a bell in my head and sure enough the couple of post I did put on here where heavy questioned by the op and tbh put me off giving my opinion on the forum because I felt I just couldn’t be bothered with it, tbh the forum seem inundated with rolex threads and what is this bear pit? Is this some vip section if so keep it I’m really not gonna lose sleep over it
    Decent character analysis from a newcomer with presumably no axe to grind.

Master
    I find this forum very strange, I’ve only been on here a short while and tbh don’t think I will be posting much the op seems to be a very self important guy with obvious social problems
    I'd say your analysis is pretty much spot on.

guy with obvious social problems
    To be fair, the comedown from Yorkshire Day at the start of the month is hard for all of us.

Journeyman
    Be patient.
    Six years and 6000 posts will get you there:-)
    Once you get there, you can give up your cable TV subscription. There is enough entertainment there.
    A little while to go then!

Doubt I will ever get there and doesn’t sound like I am missing much...

Master
    Dear Mr Walker,

You have the right to make your own opinion (s) on this seller. Have you not thought that this may his / her only way of letting off abit of steam, as we all do at time's. In reality the seller may be a really nice person, but you are going to know that unless you meet up F2F.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post

Forums like this, when you have way too much free time like the regular posters, suck you in and it's somewhat akin to a soap opera; everyone knows everything, the lace curtains are twitching and it all gets a bit ridiculous.

Happiness lies outside of internet forums (hence I have barely posted in the last year or so).
    100% agree, a sense of perspective is needed.........drama over nothing, again.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    Dear Mr Walker,

You have the right to make your own opinion (s) on this seller. Have you not thought that this may his / her only way of letting off abit of steam, as we all do at time's. In reality the seller may be a really nice person, but you are going to know that unless you meet up F2F.
    Fair comment, to be fair! Oh, hopefully not pistols at dawn...

Grand Master
    Party moved on to the dreaded Bear Pit last night folks, the aim was to let this thread die a death but that hasn’t happened.

Apologies to Mr Balance, who doesn’t have access so he can’t be allowed in to the party. I find his comment here particularly distasteful, perhaps he should think again and retract it. I’ve looked back over the posts he’s referred to and unless I’ve missed a trick I see nothing untoward.

I find his comment here particularly distasteful, perhaps he should think again and retract it.
    How lovely for us to reach the learning moment.

When you reply to innocuous posts like this

My bb58 also keeps excellent time I believe it has a lot to do with the silicon hairspring
    with this kind of tone

Apart from the antimagnetic aspect, why would a silicon hairspring be superior? Unless you know something I don’t I find this unconvincing
    people don't always like it.

To talk as you regularly do in Watch Talk, and then to suggest retractions from other people does little to contradict

very self important

A little while to go then!

Doubt I will ever get there and doesn’t sound like I am missing much...
    Just kidding.
    Actually it is much less.

Master
    Paul made a mistake about airing his view on not buying a watch from someone he has no time for in the WT.

The consensus is that he should have done it in the BP, a place a lot of people avoid.

Last night he took the bait and extended the discussion in the BP and immediately the usual names lined up in a row and goaded him. If he replied, another BP regular came up and goaded yet again, this is what they do time after time. The result is that anyone who is subjected to this ends up saying things they may well regret at a later date. But of course he gets the blame and the goaders walk away Scott free ready to do it again to the next mug who is daft enough to take them on.

Already one of them is asking for nominations for flouncer of the year, is that banter or just plain nastiness ?

Grand Master
    OK, I`ll play.

My comment re the silicon hairspring is valid. Mr Balance claimed that the silicon hairspring gave the watch advantages and I questioned it. I don`t see how it can make the watch any better than the tried and tested material it replaces. True, it's antimagnetic properties are superior but, as a spring material, I'm not aware that it's any better. Possibly it remains more stable over a range of temperature, but the conventional material used for the past 30-40 years is pretty good in that respect and there are figures to back that up. Possibly the OP had access to data/info that I haven`t so on that basis it was appropriate to question him.

I come from a background where technical claims have to be backed up by evidence, where the distinction between assumption/heresay/belief had to be clearly made. I`ve carried this way of thinking forward in my latter years as a watch enthusiast and repairer; unfortunately it can come across as arrogance and for that I apologise. Some of the folks I worked amongst were far worse in this respect, but I admit it can stifle people's willingness to get involved and contribute, particularly if they don`t come from a similar technical background.

Hope that clears up the misunderstanding.

Rejoice for TZUK! Where else could two otherwise normal men go and fall out over their respective opinions on the efficiacy of a silicon hairspring?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Paul made a mistake about airing his view on not buying a watch from someone he has no time for in the WT.

The consensus is that he should have done it in the BP, a place a lot of people avoid.

Last night he took the bait and extended the discussion in the BP and immediately the usual names lined up in a row and goaded him. If he replied, another BP regular came up and goaded yet again, this is what they do time after time. The result is that anyone who is subjected to this ends up saying things they may well regret at a later date. But of course he gets the blame and the goaders walk away Scott free ready to do it again to the next mug who is daft enough to take them on.

Already one of them is asking for nominations for flouncer of the year, is that banter or just plain nastiness ?
    To be fair, Mick, I played the pantomime villain to good effect. Like the guy in the 19th century boxing booths I invited all-comers to come and give it their best shot, and most of the Draft Thread Devotees turned up right on cue. Mixing my metaphors shamelessly, this was like mud-wrestling with a pig, the pig's enjoying it and the pig won't stop till it's had enough. At the end of the session I was determined to hold the centre of the ring, or be that pig, and I just about managed it.

I was playing with the lot of them, whilst providing a chance to tell me what their beef was really based on.

Mischievous or malevolent?....not sure but it was fun. It's was also a parody on how people can portray totally different personas so easily on an internet forum but I suspect that point's a bit too subtle for many. Furthermore, I don`t think it justifies claims of 'social problems', just a wry sense of both humour and justice.

Some have turned up late to the party today, but that's party's now over.

Master
    To be fair, Mick, I played the pantomime villain to good effect. Like the guy in the 19th century boxing booths I invited all-comers to come and give it their best shot, and most of the Draft Thread Devotees turned up right on cue. Mixing my metaphors shamelessly, this was like mud-wrestling with a pig, the pig's enjoying it and the pig won't stop till it's had enough. At the end of the session I was determined to hold the centre of the ring, or be that pig, and I just about managed it.

I was playing with the lot of them, whilst providing a chance to tell me what their beef was really based on.

Mischievous or malevolent?....not sure but it was fun. It's was also a parody on how people can portray totally different personas so easily on an internet forum but I suspect that point's a bit too subtle for many. Furthermore, I don`t think it justifies claims of 'social problems', just a wry sense of both humour and justice.

Make yourself a brew, sit back and chilakz. Sticks and stones and all that.

Master

Paul

The main problem is that you are basically a decent bloke and you are never going to successfully engage with a bunch of blokes who are mainly nasty bits of work. Just stay away from the place.