closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: University open days

University open days

Is anyone else in the position of looking into University open days right now? My eldest is just about to start her second year of A levels so yesterday we went through narrowing down her top choices for afterwards. Most have open days that allow visits on different days but I’m wondering what on earth we look for when we go.

I know it’s a really broad question but if anyone has any advice at all it would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Rob

Did it all about 4 years ago. Daughter just graduated. Your eldest will probably have an idea of the type of Uni they'll be aiming for...Oxbridge, Russell Group or something else...and from there what appeals...big city, traditional, red brick, campus uni etc. So they'll select some possibilities based on these preferences. When visiting, I think it's then a case of getting a 'feel' for each sepecific institution. You can learn all the stuff about academic performance and facilities etc from afar. Visiting is all about deciding whether it's somewhere you feel you can be happy studying (and everything else) for three years.

have done a few of these with my 3 lads

first of all find out if the school is running any trips - they often do & will be well organised

then in terms of which ones to visit you may look at a variety of criteria ie course availability / reputation / distance from home town / where their pals fancy.

two tips from my experience:-

1. go down on public transport and do the day round the city on public transport - will give your youngster an idea of how easy it is to get home for the odd weekend / travel round campus / journey time to the nightclubs

2. have a good look at the accommodation blocks. they will show you the shiny news ones with en-suite, but not always available and more expensive

I would also have a sit down with them and explain to them the financial costs / unconditional offers / degree inflation. The number of Uni's charging full whack, giving unconditional offers and handing out Firsts like confetti mean there is a serious decision to be made on whether Uni is the right choice. It is now a very expensive "life experience". Having a "good" degree these days is no guarantee of a job or a better paid one. You will find many going on to do expensive Masters degrees just to set them apart from the very large crowd. Have a look at degree apprenticeships. My youngest went down this route and is 1 year in - works for a large multi national company, is getting his degree fees paid for and earns a reasonable starting wage.......

Ask about accommodation - is it available for the duration ‘on campus’ and managed by the Uni or will you need to rent privately.

Also if relevant to subject ask about lecture sizes and staff:student ratio.

Other thing would be to try to find out what the careers and placements people do to secure employability and employment.

Obviously you’ll get to see the facilities, accommodation and location but just as importantly you’ll get to speak with current students, as they’re the ones doing the tours.

They’ll give you a proper insight into life on campus and the good and bad of the university.

Glossy prospectuses and websites only give you only the curated view, so there’s nothing like have a wander around campus and speaking with those who are there daily.

Assuming they know which course they're planning to do it is worth checking that relevant academic staff and students will be on hand to chat. A good way of getting the feel of things. Email the department/tutor for admissions and be prepared to wait a bit for a reply, as folk will be away on holiday now.

Master
    Yep in the same boat with out oldest. Looked at three so far, one more to go.

An interesting question my daughter asked was exactly how many hours study will there be per week. It would appear the hours are going up because students want more value for money, and the unis are very aware of this.

Gap year/sandwich year: Many places now run with these to give the students experience in the real world. Although it adds a year to the degree it also provides work experience hopefully in the area they are studying which will help when looking for work at the end of the course.

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Yep in the same boat with out oldest. Looked at three so far, one more to go.

An interesting question my daughter asked was exactly how many hours study will there be per week. It would appear the hours are going up because students want more value for money, and the unis are very aware of this.

Gap year/sandwich year: Many places now run with these to give the students experience in the real world. Although it adds a year to the degree it also provides work experience hopefully in the area they are studying which will help when looking for work at the end of the course.

In my experience, the number of contact hours per week is inverse proportion to the prestige of the University. Not sure why that is....maybe they figure if you've got there, you're smart and self motivated enough to do it all yourself.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post

This is also very course specific. Nursing/medicine and engineering have a lot more contact time in the class room and labs compared to say finance.

If you’re looking at top ranked universities ask how much teaching is done by PhD students. On the open day they’ll have a guest lecture some slick researcher who probably does about 10hours ‘teaching’ all year.

I’m very happy to give a personalised tour of the University of Manchester to any TZer’s children; I can also give a more general chat about the University of Edinburgh (my alma mater) and higher education in general. Please just drop me a PM.

With the caveat: I don’t have many dealings with undergraduates any more.

But I was once there. And my God it was fun! 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    In my experience, the number of contact hours per week is inverse proportion to the prestige of the University. Not sure why that is....maybe they figure if you've got there, you're smart and self motivated enough to do it all yourself.
    In very crude terms, the ‘prestige’ of the University is related to its research standing. People like to go to a research intensive higher education establishment, for obvious reasons. That requires its academic staff (Lectures, Professors etc) to be more focused on doing research than teaching. Which creates a tension in their ability to teach undergraduates.

Not ideal. But that’s it, in crude terms.

When I went on an open day to Sheffield University (many years ago), the prospective students were taken on a guided tour of the halls by a current student. The parents weren't around for this part for some reason, and I recall some of the stories of sordid goings-on that the student regaled us with were very explicit and extreme. He certainly seemed to relish telling these tails in front of the one mother that had decided to accompany her child. Very funny for the rest of us too.

Didn't end up choosing to go there in the end.

A generation ago we took a day off from school, and alone and unaccompanied jumped on an Intercity or National Express to whichever city, walked or took a bus to the university, did the interview / guided tour thing and then went home. A rite of passage. The beginning of independence and a hint of a start to adult life.

I learned a few years ago when it came to my stepchildren’s turn that things have changed. The fourth grade institutions that call themselves universities these days (and for all I know quite possibly even the Russell Group institutions) apparently make these days “family friendly” and actively encourage the nervous helicoptering parents to accompany their little darlings. It’s indicative of an utterly broken society that so-called higher education establishments are complicit in encouraging individuals who should be young adults to keep their self-entitled gobs firmly clamped to their mothers’ nipples instead of actually allowing them the important experience of actually beginning to grow up.

Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    A generation ago we took a day off from school, and alone and unaccompanied jumped on an Intercity or National Express to whichever city, walked or took a bus to the university, did the interview / guided tour thing and then went home. A rite of passage. The beginning of independence and a hint of a start to adult life.

I learned a few years ago when it came to my stepchildren’s turn that things have changed. The fourth grade institutions that call themselves universities these days (and for all I know quite possibly even the Russell Group institutions) apparently make these days “family friendly” and actively encourage the nervous helicoptering parents to accompany their little darlings. It’s indicative of an utterly broken society that so-called higher education establishments are complicit in encouraging individuals who should be young adults to keep their self-entitled gobs firmly clamped to their mothers’ nipples instead of actually allowing them the important experience of actually beginning to grow up.

Sad.
    Same here!

On a related note, we received exam results quietly through the post and TV crews weren’t sent to schools to cover the event.

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    I have just gone through taking my 4th (and last) son through the Uni days. (Bristol/Bath/Nottingham/Southampton).

My advice to anyone is to get a feel for the place. Campus or non campus? Look at the halls. Can you see your offspring there or more importantly can your offspring see themselves there?
    Close to town our out of town? Look at the department and attend the talks. Usually there is one for the course “why Electronic engineering” and one for the location “why Bristol”. We try not to attend more than that and usually conclude on about 4 hours total.

My kids were vehemently self catering in choice of hall which rules some out and in. Etc etc.

But most of all how does it feel? With the right mindset most folks will enjoy wherever they go to uni so it is perhaps not as important or stressy as it might seem??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas Reid
    There are, I believe, tours, presentations and Q&A sessions. I've done a number from the other side, especially drop-in sessions for people wanting to know about the subject I teach. I've also been involved in sessions on the admission side of things, including mock interviews. The benefit from the latter is mostly psychological, I think. Candidates sometimes have some pretty crazy ideas of what goes on in interviews, and how we make admissions decisions.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman
    When I was applying for uni I largely went by feel of the city. Could I see myself living there? (although ultimately ended up going where I was accepted haha) All uni's I looked at were very comparable in terms of quality of course offered so knew I would be happy with wherever I went.

Don't forget when you're on an open day the uni is trying to sell itself too you so everything seems fantastic. I'd have a read of students opinions on various student forums too to try and build up a picture and see if peoples experiences tie in to what you're seeing / experiencing when there.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjones3 View Post
    I have just gone through taking my 4th (and last) son through the Uni days. (Bristol/Bath/Nottingham/Southampton).

My advice to anyone is to get a feel for the place. Campus or non campus? Look at the halls. Can you see your offspring there or more importantly can your offspring see themselves there?
    Close to town our out of town? Look at the department and attend the talks. Usually there is one for the course “why Electronic engineering” and one for the location “why Bristol”. We try not to attend more than that and usually conclude on about 4 hours total.

My kids were vehemently self catering in choice of hall which rules some out and in. Etc etc.

But most of all how does it feel? With the right mindset most folks will enjoy wherever they go to uni so it is perhaps not as important or stressy as it might seem??

I can thoroughly endorse Bristol. If only I could relive those three years...

Master
    Choose location, plan arrival, look at site map & get a feel for where all the places you want to visit are.
    Ask about courses, numbers & more importantly employment prospects once graduated.
    Lecture capture is huge where I work, all lectures are recorded slides & audio so even if your child misses a lecture they have the material available.
    Every uni boasts about being one of the best, check the Times & Guardian to see where they really are & look at the student experience survery to see what they value.

Thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like a plan of attack for each visit is in order.

As per what Kirk said - I can give a personal insight into Heriot-Watt (near Edinburgh), or my old establishments - University of Reading and University of Manchester (although Kirk is still there so he will be more up to date).

What is she looking to study?

Student survey results and league tables can give some idea of what to expect.

As people have said:

Check the public transport links.

Try to see a representative sample of halls.

Find out whether accommodation is one year or all years.

Look at class sizes.

A good one to check is graduate employability.

Ask students what it's like there.

Are people obviously enjoying themselves?

What investments are being made (new buildings, refurbishments, etc.)

What sporting facilities are there?

It's a lot to take in - however, there are few (if any) truly "bad" HE establishments.

Feel free to contact me for any help.

Mark C

Does Heriot-Watt still have the annual beer festival? What a superb piss up that used to be!

The most important thing for us was visiting each campus and getting a feel for the place - that certainly put us off one of the 3 contenders. The faculty tours were also of most interest, and I'd recommend going on a tour of the available accommodation (e.g. halls of residence). I found the more general university talks less helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Does Heriot-Watt still have the annual beer festival? What a superb piss up that used to be!
    Yes - part of our brewing and distilling course :-)

Mark

Going to Birmingham Uni on Saturday, any recommendations around parking close to the Uni, I suspect it will be very busy?!

Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    Going to Birmingham Uni on Saturday, any recommendations around parking close to the Uni, I suspect it will be very busy?!

We went to Brum on an open day last year. My son liked it so much that I drop him off a week on Saturday to start his Maths fresher year.

It was very busy last year on the open day, but there’s loads of residential roads for street parking within a 15-20 minute walk, without any parking enforcement on a Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I did Birmingham uni open day with my eldest 2 years ago - they arranged parking in Edgbaston (Cricket Ground) and laid on coaches/minibuses back and forth. There were several thousand visitors that day but it never felt overcrowded and well organised.

Last year went again with my other daughter, the uni didn't arrange parking, so parked up in one of the residential streets (no restrictions on weekends) near the accommodation blocks towards the "back" of the university.

Perfect, thanks for that. It does seem they have washed their hands of catering for a large influx of prospective revenue streams.

I’ll aim for Edgbaston and take it from there.

I don't believe there were open days in my day though Birmingham University is my Alma Mater.............................that was from 1983 to 1987! The halls of residence have certainly changed since then: Mason Hall has been rebuilt and the Tennis Court flats where I was in the first year have been expanded to cover what was the football pitch and squash courts. However, the main halls are still centered around a lovely bit of parkland. My old faculty has moved from the centre of the city(ish) to the site of the old BBC Pebble Mill studios. There's a lot to be said for how you feel about a place.

Good luck to all those currently working towards their place at university.
    Last edited by Skier; 27th September 2019 at 22:19.

Journeyman
    I did it a few years ago. Parked at a convenient station on “our” side of Birmingham and trained it the rest of the way; the University station being aptly named.

In contrast to others on this thread, I found the whole thing totally bewildering when I travelled round with my eldest last year. Frankly had no idea what we were looking for, just went by my sons gut feel - and he starts his chosen course at the one university he applied for in a week. I just let him get on with it really - after all he’s 18 and a young man now! - I’ll be there if he needs me but plan to let him get on with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I don't believe there were open days in my day though Birmingham University is my Alma Mater.............................though that was from 1983 to 1987!
    I was there from ‘83 to ‘86 so we overlapped :). I do remember an open day visit, but maybe that was just for the Physics faculty. Me and three mates piled into a Cortina, with a whip round for the petrol.

I don't believe there were open days in my day though Birmingham University is my Alma Mater.............................though that was from 1983 to 1987!
    Crikey - I was there then (1983 - 1986). What did you study and where did you stay?

Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I was there from ‘83 to ‘86 so we overlapped :). I do remember an open day visit, but maybe that was just for the Physics faculty. Me and three mates piled into a Cortina, with a whip round for the petrol.
    Blooming heck - another one. I was next door in Maths.

Where did you stay - I started in Manor house and then was out for a year before moving into Griffin.

MarkC

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Crikey - I was there then (1983 - 1986). What did you study and where did you stay?

Mark C
    MarkC & alfat33. I studied Dentistry and lived in the Tennis Court flats (associated with Mason Hall) in the first year, moved to Edgbaston for the second year and then Selly Oak (Dawlish Road almost opposite the OVT) for the remainder of my time.

Small world! I studied Physics so might even have had some calculus lectures with MarkC. I can’t remember the name of the hall I was in. I’ve just looked at Google Maps and it might have been around where Chamberlain is. In the 2nd and 3rd years I lived in a flat in Moseley with my wife.

MarkC & alfat33. I studied Dentistry and lived in the Tennis Court flats (associated with Mason Hall) in the first year, moved to Edgbaston for the second year and then Selly Oak (Dawlish Road almost opposite the OVT) for the remainder of my time.
    Small world - I probably never met you (didn't know many dentists) but might have bumped into alfat33 as he was in the next building to mine on campus and we shared a bridge link.

I'd have seen you if you were in SF society or Boardgames Society though.

Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Small world! I studied Physics so might even have had some calculus lectures with MarkC. I can’t remember the name of the hall I was in. I’ve just looked at Google Maps and it might have been around where Chamberlain is. In the 2nd and 3rd years I lived in a flat in Moseley with my wife.
    Good grief - those lectures would have been the ones where the guy wrote too fast on chalkboards and by the time he had done the second set of three no-one could keep up to take notes :-)

I bet I was in some of the same lectures as you.

Small world indeed

Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Good grief - those lectures would have been the ones where the guy wrote too fast on chalkboards and by the time he had done the second set of three no-one could keep up to take notes :-)
    I remember him, a little guy who used to write like his life depended on it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post

I know it’s a really broad question but if anyone has any advice at all it would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Rob
    I went through this process a few years ago, just me and my eldest doing the open days. Not having been to university myself I felt ill equipped before we started but ended up really enjoying the process.

My advice would be to go with an open mind and to trust your gut feeling. Think about how much effort they've made to welcome you there and make things easy for you, what are the students like, what are the other parents like? Talk to as many people as you possibly can especially any students who happen to be in the residential areas and who aren't part of the open day.

You'll be surprised how much of a rounded view you get just soaking up the general vibe of the place. Obviously the stats and stuff can be read in the uni guide (can't remember what it's called but I'm sure you've got that covered).

We went to four and the one we chose had a made a huge effort on the open day and wrote a personal letter to my daughter afterwards. The impression we gained of this uni on that day carried on through her time there.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I’m actually in Exeter right now taking my boy to his new digs for his 2nd year. It was his first choice and he really does likes it here. I have to agree it is a lovely part of the country especially when the weather is like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    I persoanlly visited all my unis before I firmed Sussex but not all before I applied. It helps to get a feel of the university and the department and a lot of people (me included) went to look round somewhere and just *knew* that that was where they wanted to be. Others never looked at the uni and found themselves to be perfectly happy there. I would recommend it but it's not essential. To find more info on universities, here is my number one resource
    Fantastic advice.