closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Impulse purchase Vs researched and planned

Master

Impulse purchase Vs researched and planned

Who is an impulse buyer and who, researches, plans and saves? I'm the later, don't buy very often at all, can spend over a year from when I've made the 'I'm going to let myself get a new watch' decision to actually purchasing, maybe longer. I don't mind the wait as I really enjoy the research and looking at different watches. I tend to buy and then keep, not flipping on wards after a watch drifts out of favour.... But then I don't have many so it's easy to love them all!

I like to research first but I’m definitely not as disciplined as you, I’ll think about things for a while and then buy. I’m not good at waiting. A wise man once told me if you want to buy something wait a week, if you still want it then buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Who is an impulse buyer and who, researches, plans and saves? I'm the later, don't buy very often at all, can spend over a year from when I've made the 'I'm going to let myself get a new watch' decision to actually purchasing, maybe longer. I don't mind the wait as I really enjoy the research and looking at different watches. I tend to buy and then keep, not flipping on wards after a watch drifts out of favour.... But then I don't have many so it's easy to love them all!
    I think doing some research always helps... same goes for saving! Although sometimes when the opportunity presents itself I’d just pull the trigger too:) you never know if there’s another chance to buy that watch😄 (particularly vintage)

I have fallen foul of the impulse buy recently.

Decided I wanted an Oris Divers 65 bronze bezel and went out and bought the first one I saw on the leather strap. Even ordered the bracelet separately.

Got it home and was a little disappointed in the build quality for what was a £1500 watch.

Luckily I’d been researching the Tudor BB58 and was able to return the Oris when one came in.

Lesson learnt and won’t impulse buy again (hopefully).

I’ve been researching the Rolex Submariner for around a decade now, hopefully I won’t be disappointed when/if I ever pick one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plan and research for months and months and then something else comes along and I dive right in on impulse and all my research goes out the window as what I impulse on isn't what I spent months researching.

A bit of both, some I do the research and decide I want, then pick up when ready.

Some I like the look of and go for.

Does it count as impulse when you've made the decision and one pops up sooner then expected? As that's happened a few times for me recently which has resulted in shifting priorities a bit....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I plan and research for months and months and then something else comes along and I dive right in on impulse and all my research goes out the window as what I impulse on isn't what I spent months researching.
    This is my approach as well (can you call it an approach)?
    Point in case: research ZRCs for months, post asking for options on said watch. Just about buy one and a flightmaster turns up on SC
    Bang now own a flightmaster. ZRC still not bought.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Impulse tbh.
    My range of what i like is pretty narrow and i know about the watches i wear so dont really spend time researching anymore.

Master
    I researched, planned & started saving - then I randomly got the chance of my chosen piece immediately, no waiting required, so I pounced! A 0% interest on purchases credit card is useful in such cases!

Craftsman
    I'm only as impulsive as my spare cash allows!!!

I plan and research to the point where my targets constantly change without actually getting to the point where I pull the trigger on anything. The one recent exception to this was when a long time target suddendly came up on SC and the next thing I knew I had a package arriving through the post!

An impulse buy is fine as long as you resist the temptation to do too much research after - you'll only find it cheaper and "flaws" you will decide you can't live with...
    Gray

Master
    Not so much research, but lust over until one appears at the right price.

Otherwise it is impulse all over when I see something I ‘need’ to own

Master
    Blog Entries
    Either or for me.

I did a bit of study on the Sinn 103 I bought,though I was still a bit confused by the variations when I bought it.

My IWC was totally a impulse buy I didn’t even know about it before I saw it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Who is an impulse buyer and who, researches, plans and saves?
    Both.

I have learned that good deals don't always come along that often so one should pounce if one wants and one can. When people say "there'll be another deal along soon" it is NOT necessarily true for watches. Due to relatively small numbers of many watch models, good deals can be truly one off. So if one of your grail-trail watches comes up unexpectedly and you're in a position to buy then do so. Don't dither.

But, this doesn't mean that one should not plan and research to find the watch (well, watches) that one really wants.

Reaction to opportunity and planned proaction are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Craftsman
    Bit of both, bought my explorer after about 9 months of research. Bought my el primero because I took a break from work to get a coffee. Just so happens the nearby fraser hart offered me a free one with the watch

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I'm both. It just depends

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm both.

When I bought my Cosmonaute, I spent a couple of years researching it and thinking about it. I often get an urge to buy something, but if I wait a while it passes.

It never did with the Cosmonaute, so I eventually bought one.

On the other hand, I went from seeing a photo of a Flieger one morning to buying one in less than 24 hours a short while ago!

The price involved was a fraction of the Cosmonaute, but I made a similarly quick purchase of my Sinn EZM7S.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    I like to research first. Always worried about finding out flaws/better alternatives. I suspect though, as my pay increases the impulse purchases will become more frequent.

Master
    I research watches to add to my wish list and then tend to impulse buy when they become available at the right price. I have never bought a new watch. Given I very very rarely all watches my research is fairly in-depth.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wuyangkid View Post
    Bit of both, bought my explorer after about 9 months of research. Bought my el primero because I took a break from work to get a coffee. Just so happens the nearby fraser hart offered me a free one with the watch

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Lol! Expensive coffee!