closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with a 60th present

Journeyman

Help with a 60th present

Hi all

My Dad's 60 in January. He's never had anything his whole life.

I want to buy him a nice watch.

My problem is I don't really have Rolex money. That in itself isn't really the issue. With my Dad never having anything he doesnt know the brands.

Everyone knows Rolex but I don't think he would have a clue if he opened a Tudor for instance.

Any ideas how to approach the issue? I dont really want to say its worth X£.

Is there a make that might mean something to him with his age? That might have been a big deal when he was growing up?

Anyone had the issue of the recipient not knowing what they are looking at?

Thanks Craig

Longines

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Longines
    Well that would fall more in budget. Any particular reason you think Longines?

What is your budget? I bought my dad a Tudor day date for his 69th a few years ago

Craftsman
    I'd probably say tag due to brand recognition. All my friends who arent in to watches think Tag is second to Rolex. (I accept this may say more about my friends haha)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    What is your budget? I bought my dad a Tudor day date for his 69th a few years ago
    About £1500-2000. (pre-owned).

I might not be giving him credit but I'm not sure he would know Tudor. I'm sure he would think I had been to argos.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    I'd probably say tag due to brand recognition. All my friends who arent in to watches think Tag is second to Rolex. (I accept this may say more about my friends haha)

I didn't consider Tag. That's not a bad shout. I'm put off by them as when I was at school everyone had a fake Tag! Lol

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would definitely give TAG a swerve. What about Oris?

Above a certain age, people really know and respect Longines. Whether sixty is old enough for that, I don't know.

Come at it from a different angle... does he like motorsport (chrono), travelling (gmt), keep it for ‘best’ (dress), bit more usability (diver), etc

That kind of budget should get you a nice new watch or a very decent complete set pre-owned but being a gift one with some form or warranty or service would be better i think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Lovely idea, but are you 100% sure he would be comfortable wearing a very expensive (as he may see it?) watch?

Do you ever chat watches with him? Could you gauge his preferences by showing him a few pictures on some other premise?

I myself might be looking at a birth year watch of some sort, maybe Omega?

There's also the upkeep of these things - will he want to spend a few hundred quid servicing a watch, possibly in just a few years' time? I'd factor that into your gifting too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by #Craig View Post
    About £1500-2000. (pre-owned).

I might not be giving him credit but I'm not sure he would know Tudor. I'm sure he would think I had been to argos.
    No one mentioned Omega yet? Omega is a quality brand that a lot of people have heard of, right alongside Rolex. A secondhand Seamaster is within your stated budget.

(And yes, I've often thought that 'Tudor' does sound a but Argos-y ;-) ).

Another approach is possibly, maybe, a second hand Rolex Oysterquartz, if quartz would be acceptable. But prices for decent ones have gone up so might now be outside your budget. Not sure.

P.S. Oops, yes, Omega did get a mention above.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 5th August 2019 at 02:13.

Craftsman
    I'd get him the Piers Brosnan Bond Omega Seamaster in quartz ... 2541.80.00 (or 2561.80.00 in mid size)

Omega has some decent brand recognition.

Quartz is practical for someone not into watches.

James Bond is always cool.

The watch can be found for your budget in excellent "mint" condition.

Mid-size available as well as full size, so you'd be able to find one that fits him, regardless of his wrist size.

It's an attractive watch that works well as a "single watch collection".

Quite morbid but if you could push to Rolex you'll be the one inheriting it back.

Think I'd forget Tudor unless BB58 depending on his wrist size and style but Omega is the best bang for buck and the most obvious choice. Maybe IWC if going via SC. Speedy Pro would be a good shout given his age.

OP39 is £500 more than Speedy RRP and there is a lovely black OP39 on SC right now but I'm not sure how legible that dial is for an older chap.

Take him watch shopping and pretend it's for you. See what he thinks of the options.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 5th August 2019 at 07:25.

When you say ‘nice watch’, what style of watch do you think he’d appreciate most: a sports watch or a more modestly-sized, more elegant dress watch?

I agree with previous suggestions, Omega should have something to suit most tastes in your price bracket, assuming pre-owned. The ‘Bond’ Seamaster above is a good suggestion; if you think something solid gold might hit the mark, one of these from the 1960s is worth considering:

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Take him watch shopping and pretend it's for you. See what he thinks of the options.
    👍
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

There is a 9ct gold Omega on SC at the moment full set, box and papers and serviced.

Master
    If the branding isn't so important, I think far and away the best value you can get at the OP's price point would be a Grand Seiko quartz. For example you should be able to pick up an excellent condition second hand SBGV (44GS case style) for that money. The finishing is extraordinary and quartz makes much more sense for a non-enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Above a certain age, people really know and respect Longines.
    ^ This.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    i saw a thread on this site (maybe) about which brands are recognised most so i asked people at work what 3 makes of watch spring to mind.
    1) was Rolex 2) was Tag but i cant remember the third.
    Before i got into watches I'd have said the same.

Personally I’d go for Omega if I was in your position. Even non WIS have heard of them (Bond and all that), and they have a reputation for quality and expense amongst the general public. My dad had zero interest in watches but had a ‘best’ Omega (which I haven’t got but that’s an entirely different story ).

Your budget should get you a lovely pre-owned example. As someone else has said, I’d have a think about the ‘type’ of watch that might suit your dad. As I say, my dad’s Omega was a ‘best’ dress watch that came out only for special occasions. At 60 your dad may prefer something he can wear daily?

Good luck with your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Does he actually want a watch OP? Will he wear it if you bought him one?

My Dad is quite a bit older than yours but has never been interested in watches, he would choose a nice pair of slippers over a watch any day.

By all means pick up a watch, if that's what you want to give him. But I'd make it a Seiko from Creation in the hundred to one fifty range, probably quartz three handed day/date. The titanium sapphire 40mm in grey is a superb all rounder.

Why? Because that's where the value in watches is, and would leave you so much to either spend on a family experience or something for a hobby he already enjoys. A new camera, laptop and software if he used to be into photography, perhaps.

I was sixty recently and the kids hired a (rather large) house for us all to get together for a long weekend. It was the perfect gift, but then I do already have a watch or two...

Craftsman
    At 60 (I'm 61), the moon landings will be in his memory as a child. Particularly with the anniversary, I'd say get a Speedy but will be stretching your budget perhaps.

All my mates of the same era hanker after one and eye mine up each time I wear it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    There is a 9ct gold Omega on SC at the moment full set, box and papers and serviced.
    Is that achievable?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Quite morbid but if you could push to Rolex you'll be the one inheriting it back.

Think I'd forget Tudor unless BB58 depending on his wrist size and style but Omega is the best bang for buck and the most obvious choice. Maybe IWC if going via SC. Speedy Pro would be a good shout given his age.

OP39 is £500 more than Speedy RRP and there is a lovely black OP39 on SC right now but I'm not sure how legible that dial is for an older chap.

Morbid yes. But I have discussed the same with the wife.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    There's also the upkeep of these things - will he want to spend a few hundred quid servicing a watch, possibly in just a few years' time? I'd factor that into your gifting too.

Hes very comfortable now. Works because he wants to. Surprisingly when his kids stopped spunging his standard of living got better!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Does he actually want a watch OP? Will he wear it if you bought him one?

My Dad is quite a bit older than yours but has never been interested in watches, he would choose a nice pair of slippers over a watch any day.

I bought him a run of the mill watch at 50. Just something in the £100-200 range. Made him cry. He has litterly had nothing. Walked around with holes in his shoes so we didn't go without as kids.

Master
    How about a lovely vintage inspired Smith's prs36?
    https://www.timefactors.com/smithsprs36.htm
    Well within your budget and then treat him to an experience that you'll both remember fondly in the years to come.

Is he really into watches, you are but is he? If he isn't, a really expensive mechanical might not appeal, even less if it goes wrong and definitely not come service time.

If you are set on this, how about an Oceanus OCW-S100? A beautiful traditional looking three hander with date but is tough, with AR sapphire and is solar and atomic, so once set he need never adjust, no battery changes. The watch is quality and looks it as well, doesn't cost the earth though.

Mitch

Journeyman
    Hes a little older than his years.

I'm thinking more of a dress watch

This probably isn't what's wanted, but since I was wondering and went looking - a ten year old 38.5mm quartz Aqua Terra with applied indices is 2k from watchfinder

I would avoid a second hand watch and buy new.

Omega would be ideal but they are not far off Rolex money now.

Longines is a well-known quality name which he should have heard off and have a lot of dress/style watches for around £1000 new. I still think this is your best bet. Look for something from their Heritage range.

Alternatively if you do decide to go second hand you could look for a birth year watch from 1959 like this:
    https://www.birthyearwatches.com/pro...9k-gold-watch/

(No affiliation to seller).

Journeyman

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler View Post
    By all means pick up a watch, if that's what you want to give him. But I'd make it a Seiko from Creation in the hundred to one fifty range, probably quartz three handed day/date. The titanium sapphire 40mm in grey is a superb all rounder.

Why? Because that's where the value in watches is, and would leave you so much to either spend on a family experience or something for a hobby he already enjoys. A new camera, laptop and software if he used to be into photography, perhaps.

I was sixty recently and the kids hired a (rather large) house for us all to get together for a long weekend. It was the perfect gift, but then I do already have a watch or two...
    This. If I think about my parents/in laws they are just not into 'stuff' at all. All about family experiences

But if it's dress watch one of the vintage Omega options?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattius2 View Post
    This. If I think about my parents/in laws they are just not into 'stuff' at all. All about family experiences

But if it's dress watch one of the vintage Omega options?

I make him sound dreadful but he doesn't drink or smoke or do much of anything.

Apprentice
    I make him sound dreadful but he doesn't drink or smoke or do much of anything.
    Sounds very sensible! When I say 'stuff' I mean physical possessions. You will know better if he is really tickled by nice things/quality - or if that is not him at all. And whether a vintage Omega will say something different than a new Longines for the same £ or if he won't care

Longines is a well-known quality name which he should have heard off and have a lot of dress/style watches for around £1000 new. I still think this is your best bet. Look for something from their Heritage range.
    I'd also buy new, especially for someone who isn't that interested in watches. There are a lot of nice pieces that aren't expensive, especially if quartz is acceptable.

That being said there's no harm in having him look at a few with you under the guise that it's for you and picking up a nice second hand one.

I've thought about "birth year" for myself, but discounted it as there aren't many I like, significant events from childhood such as the moon watch may also be a good shout.

Having said all of that the gold omega dress above is lovely

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

I tend to agree with this, if a diver appeals the Hydroconquest looks a good shout.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattius2 View Post
    Sounds very sensible! When I say 'stuff' I mean physical possessions. You will know better if he is really tickled by nice things/quality - or if that is not him at all. And whether a vintage Omega will say something different than a new Longines for the same £ or if he won't care

Got until January to figure it out a little more.

Reason I'm looking now because I was worried of a price increase leading upto Xmas. Is that likely? I'm now thinking there could be some deals to be had.

Journeyman

Master
    If he is going to wear it every day then it will soon tarnish and the plating wear off. I would stick to stainless steel if it's an every day wearer.

Journeyman
    If I do buy used what are watchfinder like for a benchmark price?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    watchfinder are some of the highest prices in the industry.
    if you have time to keep an eye on things i think id be looking at ch24 before wf.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    watchfinder are some of the highest prices in the industry.
    if you have time to keep an eye on things i think id be looking at ch24 before wf.

CH24? 🤔

If he wants a chrono Swiss made and built, check out the Brellum chronos. I gave this one to my son and he loves it.

https://www.brellum.swiss/en/onlineshop/pandial/

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

That's an eye opener