closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Samsung note 8 onwards - opinions and advice

Master

Samsung note 8 onwards - opinions and advice

I like the idea of one of these, especially the pen because I still write lots of notes as reminders especially when on the phone or in the car. What are users’ real world experiences and uses for the Note? I've had apple and android devices so am aware of the pros and cons of both. Note 8s now cost around for £380 so seem reasonable but don't want to end up changing phone for the sake of it.

Thanks for any feedback

Ian

Note 8 is pretty outdated and under-specced. Either get the 9 or don't get it at all.

Processor, battery, cameras, etc.

The phones are good and all-around. Samsung user interface is the best in my opinion.

My only problem with the Note series is the size, mainly the corners. I preferred a rounder design.

Wait a few more weeks so that the new Note 10 arrive and the price should dip a bit for the 9.
    Last edited by ordo; 4th August 2019 at 17:28.

Craftsman
    I was a total apple fan boy since the first iphone, had all the iPads,iPods the lot and quite frankly apple was everything. I renewed my phone contract a year ago and was convinced by my friend at work to get a note 9 (he had the note 8) I took a leap of faith and thought to myself it's only for 18months if I dont like it!

Well now looking back, what was I thinking the whole samsung eco system is 100% better and alot more flexible than anything apple.
    I wouldnt go back if I was given a free iphone! The note 9 is outstanding!!! Yes if I'm critical it's a bit bigger than I was used to but it's no bigger than some of the offerings available from other companys and in many ways it makes the phone! Having a bigger screen and the SPEN is awsome.

So from me 100% get a note 9 or wait for the note 10. Top top phones..

Ps it did take a few weeks to get used to it coming from apple but now it is second nature..

Craftsman
    I've had a Note 9 (512gb/ 8gb version) for about 6 months now.

It was my first 'proper' phone after a long history of cheaper Chinese brands and a Nexus 4. I really didn't want to have a Samsung software driven phone Vs cleaner android.

However, I've been blown away by the big step up in the build quality, sound, and screen especially. The software has really not been as intrusive or painful as I'd thought.

The phone is big in the hand and took a few weeks to get used to, but now feels natural, but you can't ignore it's still large and heavy, especially in a case (I use a thick Samsung branded one)

I thought the pen and notes were going to be a gimmick, and while I'm not a heavy user, I find myself taking and sharing notes reqularly. It's accurate and easy to do/ amend/ send.

Battery is great, over a day with very heavy use; a rare headphone slot; camera is great too. I have a 512gb memory card, but never had to use it either.

Overall, a fantastic phone which I know will last me for another 2-3 years. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Kidsteruk; 4th August 2019 at 21:38.

I've had my Note 8 for a couple of years now. Love it. Camera/Video quality is amazing. I use it for all sorts of useful things and it never misses a beat. Very responsive, - pen is very handy, - saves RSI somewhat, speech-to-text works great. I don't feel the need to upgrade.

Master
    Been on the Samsung bandwagon a while. Did try an iPhone once to see what the fuss was all about but hated the lack of flexibility.

I have had the Note 8 for coming up to two years. Similar to the post above, I see no need to change it for the 9 (or 10). It does everything I need. It is high end. Yes probably outdated now as per an earlier post, but I do not notice it. It is quick, responsive, does what it needs. At the price you suggest - snap it up! I paid close to £1k for mine soon after release.
    Last edited by Boss13; 7th August 2019 at 20:28.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ordo View Post
    Note 8 is pretty outdated and under-specced. Either get the 9 or don't get it at all.
    I would disagree with this. I've had my Note 8 for almost two years and it's still fast and snappy. The only point I would agree on with is the battery - mine is starting to not last as long as it did, but that's because I've been using it for almost two years - a new one should be good.

The stylus, even on the Note 8, is really good to write with (the one on the Note 9 is even better). I don't use it much because I prefer typing, but if you write a lot of notes, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I'll be getting the Note 10 when my current contract runs out.

Master
    Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Will watch for the deals on the 9 before making a purchase.

Ian