closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Volvo XC60

Craftsman

Volvo XC60

Looking at changing the car in the next 6 months for something more 'grown up' and looking at SUV's. Will be using part-ex and cash against a pre-owned example.

Has anybody got the new shape XC60 and what do you think?

Can't decide between X3, Q5 or XC60...will arrange test drives on all but being pulled towards the Volvo.

Grand Master
    Sit in them all and have a spin, Ill be amazed if you dont chose the Volvo
    RIAC

Master
    We have the old shape and borrowed the new one at service time. Very good cars both new and old.

I always think that Audi is very stingy with the extras, although don’t know about this specific model

I had a q5. Found it ok. Nothing special. The xc60 looks great imho

FIL has the new XC60. Amazing 360 camera and sun roof but the GLC seats have more adjustment. X3 if you want to drive enthusiastically, Q5 if you have more money to spend, XC60 very nice car. Would also consider the GLC as pricing is quite favourable.

I have the new shape XC60 and am really pleased with it. Test drove a few different makes and settled on this one pretty quickly.

Master
    I have the new X3 and love it. The 3.0L engine, good speed.

Craftsman
    I recently bought a V40 for my wife, whilst in the dealership I checked out the XC40, 60 and 90 - all stunning cars. Personally really like the design, seem to come well-spec'd, and Volvo's have a great reputation for reliability.

Only thing is that they are priced quite high, don't expect to find them much cheaper than the Audi/BMW/etc equivalents.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Since being bought out by the Chinese Volvo has leapt on massively in style go try one if you can afford it you’ll buy it 👍🏿

QUOTE=jon8oy;5164954]I recently bought a V40 for my wife, whilst in the dealership I checked out the XC40, 60 and 90 - all stunning cars. Personally really like the design, seem to come well-spec'd, and Volvo's have a great reputation for reliability.

Only thing is that they are priced quite high, don't expect to find them much cheaper than the Audi/BMW/etc equivalents.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Master
    I’m in a very similar position. I just wonder what the reliability of Volvo is compared to German brands.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the feedback, think I’ll go and have a nosey at the Volvo’s tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    I recently bought a V40 for my wife, whilst in the dealership I checked out the XC40, 60 and 90 - all stunning cars. Personally really like the design, seem to come well-spec'd, and Volvo's have a great reputation for reliability.

Thoughts on the XC40?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I’m in a very similar position. I just wonder what the reliability of Volvo is compared to German brands.
    A billion times better.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm quite the fan of the Q5. I think they drive really well. However, if I were choosing a car for myself out of those three, it'd be the Volvo every time.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, think I’ll go and have a nosey at the Volvo’s tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Thoughts on the XC40?
    The XC40 is probably the nicest design of the lot. I drove an Evoque now and find the boot quite small though (2 kids), so the XC40 is probably a little on the small side. Lovely looking car though!

Let us know how you get on with the test drives.

I test drove the Twin Engine T8 a couple of weeks back - very nice indeed, and very quick. I just wish they would do a bit further on electric only.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    I have a T8 XC90 but was also offered a test drive in T8 XC60. I liked it so much that I almost ordered one instead of XC90, which I was really after. Heart said XC60 for the livelier drive, being smaller and lighter obviously. Head said XC90 for the extra space and seats. Head won.

Great cars. The tech is amazing and feels years ahead of German cars, at least a decade ahead of British ones. If you go for a higher spec model with air suspension, the ride is super comfortable. As for reliability, I haven’t had a single problem with my XC90 in 7 months of ownership. Everything just works, every time. I wouldn’t expect XC60 to be any less reliable as it has the same range of engines/drivetrains and spec, just smaller.

I always say I thought I was downgrading to Volvo but it ended up being an upgrade in most departments, except price lol.

Master
    I've never ACTUALLY owned an SUV but have borrowed, rented or test-driven a few, most recently the BMW X3 4.0 petrol and the Volvo XC60 diesel. The BMW was quite a noice drive, probably a bit sportier than the Volvo, but after doing around 1000 miles / week miles over two rentals of 2 weeks each in the Volvo, I was very impressed. It's a great car for doing long distance driving and arriving, still feeling fresh, and it's not too bad on the bends, either. I did several trips up and down the M40/M3/A303, in London and around the country lanes in the south-west, and it worked very well across a variety of road conditions.

I came home, and a day or two later got in our Golf R and drove 1200 miles in a week. The Golf is a great car, but for that sort of driving, I'd take the Volvo any time. Seats are great, ride is good (I generally set the dynamic / sport setting to minimise roll and sharpen steering and engine response) and it has the really useful kit like the speed limit sign reading cameras, satnav, etc. I was mostly on my own in the car, but the passengers, when I took them, all seemed to enjoy the comfort, rise, visibility and seats.

The only real annoyance was the touch screen controls needed for heating and ventilation, which requires you to take your eyes off the road more than is desirable - but that's a common trait with a lot of current models across many brands.
    Last edited by HappyJack; 4th August 2019 at 03:15.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought an XC60 about 4 months ago.

It is a great car. I was deciding between that or a GLC but opted for the XC60 for the following reasons. For £26.5k I picked up an 18 month old D4 inscription with 10k miles and extras like 360 camera, Pano roof, heated and cooled seats (literally everything). For the same price GLC I in the AMG Line I was looking at double the ages with at least double the mileage. The list price on mine was £47k agaisnt, £42k of the Mercedes I was looking at. Plus the GLc was just about to release a facelift model.

Some might say it shows the Mercedes holds its value better but I plan to have this for a few years and working to a budget so wasnt too bothered about that.

I also thought the Volvo was better looking both inside and out.

In terms of MPG I mainly do motorway miles. I get around 55mpg but I would say that's on 90% motorway.

As for reliability issues only had it 4 months so can't really comment. But all good so far.

Had an XC60 D5AWD for nearly 4 years now (older shape). Not had to visit the garage for anything except standard servicing in that time, really like the car - plenty of power, feels very safe, great seats, looks and feels premium - really excellent on the motorway, however 2 things irritate me - ludicrous turning circle and horrible jiggly ride on B roads (where I do 95% of my driving) - if you need a motorway mile muncher, brilliant but if you frequent country lanes, think again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Went to both the Audi and Volvo garage today, personally we were both disappointed with the Q5 and didn't even both with a test drive (I was quite surprised actually). I've got a test drive in a XC60 booked for next weekend. Sat in the XC40 but maybe a little small for us.

Really liked the look and feel of the Volvo, both inside and out, seemed really comfortable and the interior wasn't too 'busy'.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    Went to both the Audi and Volvo garage today, personally we were both disappointed with the Q5 and didn't even both with a test drive (I was quite surprised actually)
    I was the same went to Audi wanting to Love the Q5 or Q7 and was unbelievably underwhelmed at them
    RIAC

Master
    Check the Lexus NX before making any decisions.

Blog Entries
    What Car has a great write-up about the XC60. More or less along the line of what has been written here in this thread.

Menno

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I was the same went to Audi wanting to Love the Q5 or Q7 and was unbelievably underwhelmed at them
    Echo same, girlfriend has Q5 quattro (diesel) and for the money same underwhelmed feeling, prefer to drive my vw kombi

Master
    I'd also weigh in with a recommendation to check out the offerings from Lexus (UX, NX, RX & RXL) as well. No diesels but the hybrids are decent on fuel, and way more reliable than anything the competition can offer. They take a little bit of getting used to as they divorce engine rpm from road speed but once over that they are one of the most relaxing drives I've ever had - and the RX I have is pretty quick too.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    We picked up a new Q5 last year. Lovely spec (S-Line, full diamond stitched Nappa leather, B&O, Tech Pack etc). Also wanted to love it...

But we didn’t!

In fact it became a blooming hateful thing, chiefly because the seats were harder than a church pew and I just couldn’t get the driving position right. It handled quite well but apart from that we never loved it.

Ended up taking a hit to get rid of it a few weeks ago. Pleased to see it gone! So my advice is go for a long test drive...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

We bought an Inscription XC60 D5 just before Xmas, trading in our "old shape" D4.
    The D5 engine is markedly more powerful but still returns over 45mpg on a run.
    Volvo customer service is absolutely excellent in our experience.

I learnt a fair bit about Geely yesterday, as well as owning Volvo, Lotus, London taxi and a bit of Mercedes, they are setting up to produce lots of shared platform cars, most will be the same underneath, next generation of Lotus's will be Volvo underneath.

Journeyman
    Test drove the GLC, XC60 and Hyundai Tucson but ended up going with the Q5.

XC60 was next on the list but preferred the physical controls in the Q5 rather than using the touchscreen in the Volvo. Loved the car, great driving position, comfort and power in the T5 model. GLC seemed much older tech wise when driven back to back. Tucson was great and drove well with all the tech but poor residuals.