closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused by Mappin and Webb.

Craftsman

Confused by Mappin and Webb.

So I popped in today for a chat about the waiting list I’m on. Basically I picked up a new date sub from them in February after a few months of waiting and thought I’d go onto the list for a green sub thinking by the time my name comes up I’ll have saved the cash ready.
    Anyhows, I’m a bit ahead of my money and after trying on a deepsea the other day I fancy one of those .

So the question was , roughly where am I on the list for the sub . If I’m getting close I’ll sit tight, but if not then I’ll ask to move across to a deepsea .

Basically they won’t tell me where I am on the list . For. JC deepsea it’s a 12 YEAR list, and he couldn't tell me where I was in the sub list.

I guess I’m being robbed off ? I’ve bought 3 watches from them over two years and maybe expected at least hard information on my situation, even if it is way down the pecking order.

Craftsman
    I think you're being fobbed off. I refuse to believe anyone is genuinely keeping a 12 year long waiting list given so much can change in that time.

Master
    I had a similar experience at a branch in the north west. I was assured that I was on the list for a sub date but wouldn’t tell me anything else. I share your pain.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    There isn't a list you surely must know that by now.

They just throw the cards in a draw and only go to them if they have multiple rejections from their big spenders.

Craftsman
    My daughter turns 6 next week, if I get her name down for a JC then she can collect it on her 18th birthday.
    The LV sub has now become incredibly hard to source, your being fobbed off for sure you probably aren’t even on the right list. Probably not what you want to hear but true.
    Last edited by Coronet king; 3rd August 2019 at 17:44.

Craftsman
    12 years lol....won't have Rolex watches then as the 904L steel will be unable to be teleported so no one will wear them!

Craftsman
    I think the outcome of this is is I’m going to head in the direction of secondhand which is a shame .

I can put up with waiting , to an extent, but the not knowing how long is pretty crap.

I'd be heading in the direction of something from someone else that wants my money
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I'd be heading in the direction of something from someone else that wants my money
    This. Your custom is keeping them in a job. Go elsewhere with your money.
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 3rd August 2019 at 20:06.

List can be skipped with a premium on a premium
    They dont even know when the game will end

Master
    I cannot understand why anyone would put up with BS like this. As above, money back and jog on!

Mappin and Webb don’t run a list per se.

They will have you details but they ‘select’ who they wish to give the steel sports too.

I have spoken to them on this a few times when I was in favour with my local branch.

A friend of mine bought a yellow gold DD 40 and was offered a Submariner at the same time that they had out back, he bought it obviously, yet I know of other people in the Island that are ‘on the list’ and are waiting for one.

Master
    Hulk is a reward piece now.

Quote Originally Posted by champagne_james View Post

They will have you details but they ‘select’ who they wish to give the steel sports too.

I have spoken to them on this a few times when I was in favour with my local branch.

A friend of mine bought a yellow gold DD 40 and was offered a Submariner at the same time that they had out back, he bought it obviously, yet I know of other people in the Island that are ‘on the list’ and are waiting for one.
    Sounds like a list TBH.

Journeyman
    I'm guessing from your location that it was the Mappin and Webb in Cambridge.

I've bought three Rolex watches from that branch over the past 12 months (a Yacht-Master and two DJ's for my wife and daughters) and they wouldn't put me on a list for any other Rolex watch.

In fact the guy I spoke to there a few weeks ago - who was very friendly and pleasant - said that they had people who had bought many more watches than me who weren't able to get on the 'list', indeed if there even is such a thing.

Anyway, I popped in last week to see if I could try on a Day Date and was told that branches like theirs (outside of big cities) weren't now being sent any higher value Rolex watches at all. They appear to have had the same five or six bi-metal DJ's and SS OP's in the window for quite a while now so I shouldn't have been surprised.

I really am starting to think that there is no list. The other poster makes a good point, who knows what's going to happen in 12 years.

I'm loosely basing my suspicion on a relatively recent experience trying to order a Patek from a shop in London. I didn't find it that hard, despite everyone saying all the 'lists' for the more sporty SS models have closed worldwide.

Move away from the nonsense.

Not worth the effort any more.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    I’ve accepted that when they say 5-7 year wait (in the case of BLRO) I wanted to buy from WOS there is no list. It’s just their way of sugar coating that they won’t sell you one. You’ve already bought a Sub and if you wear it going into the store they should see that you’re a valued watch collector. Instead they’re encouraging you buy another watch. It’s really bad customer service putting it mildly

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Sounds like a list TBH.
    Not really. I would call it collecting details and only selecting their best customers from it in whatever order they chose as they chose. What the OP was talking about was a list where the AD works their way down the list in a descending order.

At times, as I mentioned, they don’t call anyone on their ‘list’ and keep them in the safe for their next big customer. That’s doesn’t sound like them working a list.

It is what is.

We all know the situation now so it’s peoples choice if they want to play.

I’m out of it these days so don’t care. Would I like to keep buying Rolex and Patek SS sports, yes. But I can’t be bothered with it all anymore.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by djman View Post
    I'm guessing from your location that it was the Mappin and Webb in Cambridge.

I've bought three Rolex watches from that branch over the past 12 months (a Yacht-Master and two DJ's for my wife and daughters) and they wouldn't put me on a list for any other Rolex watch.

In fact the guy I spoke to there a few weeks ago - who was very friendly and pleasant - said that they had people who had bought many more watches than me who weren't able to get on the 'list', indeed if there even is such a thing.

Anyway, I popped in last week to see if I could try on a Day Date and was told that branches like theirs (outside of big cities) weren't now being sent any higher value Rolex watches at all. They appear to have had the same five or six bi-metal DJ's and SS OP's in the window for quite a while now so I shouldn't have been surprised.

I really am starting to think that there is no list. The other poster makes a good point, who knows what's going to happen in 12 years.

I'm loosely basing my suspicion on a relatively recent experience trying to order a Patek from a shop in London. I didn't find it that hard, despite everyone saying all the 'lists' for the more sporty SS models have closed worldwide.
    Yes, that’s the shop.
    Nice enough staff
    I always try and buy local in everything in everything, even down to my other hobby of fish keeping !

I’m still very new to the Rolex make and it’s a shame I like the look and design of them so much as I just wouldn’t bother with all the fuss involved in buying them .

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    For JC deepsea it’s a 12 YEAR list
    My arse is it.

Confused by Mappin and Webb.

Not really. I would call it collecting details and only selecting their best customers from it in whatever order they chose as they chose. What the OP was talking about was a list where the AD works their way down the list in a descending order.

At times, as I mentioned, they don’t call anyone on their ‘list’ and keep them in the safe for their next big customer. That’s doesn’t sound like them working a list.

It is what is.

We all know the situation now so it’s peoples choice if they want to play.

I’m out of it these days so don’t care. Would I like to keep buying Rolex and Patek SS sports, yes. But I can’t be bothered with it all anymore.
    I have a shopping list.

I don’t necessarily buy the items in the order on the list and sometimes even buy things not on the list. I sometimes don’t buy everything on the list.

It’s still a list, a collection of items.

Craftsman
    I think if you’ve just picked up a date sub from them, it’s already a ‘sought after’ piece. So very unlikely you’ll be high up in the LV list unless you’re a big spender.

Purchase history does matter but if I had a purchase history of say Explorer/Milgauss/Black Sub and I asked to be put on the list for a Pepsi they would rather give it to someone who has a 4 DJ purchase history.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    I think if you’ve just picked up a date sub from them, it’s already a ‘sought after’ piece. So very unlikely you’ll be high up in the LV list unless you’re a big spender.

Purchase history does matter but if I had a purchase history of say Explorer/Milgauss/Black Sub and I asked to be put on the list for a Pepsi they would rather give it to someone who has a 4 DJ purchase history.
    Agreed, and as someone said above, a Green Sub is really a reward piece. Green subs are seemingly coming through even more slowly than Daytona’s just now.

Also in terms of desirability, there’s a big jump between a black sub and a green sub.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Move away from the nonsense.

Not worth the effort any more.
    Exactly so! One fine day this ridiculous arrogance of Rolex AD’s will be their undoing as the bulk of their watch customers will have long and permanently gone with a departing and richly deserved “*uck you AD, and your phony waiting lists”!
    Last edited by KavKav; 4th August 2019 at 07:46.

Marketing Rule 101;

How to generate desirability - Create a waiting list, the longer the better.

Master
    Not related to watches but for something I’ve recently applied for I’m on an unofficial waiting list (with no estimated time) before I get on the official waiting list (18 months to 4 years). And before the I had to wait to see if I was accepted for the unofficial waiting list.

You guys have got it easy here

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Marketing Rule 101;

How to generate desirability - Create a waiting list, the longer the better.
    Exactly. Add in that Rolex is the brand that is arguably the most recognised “luxury” watch brand and you have the perfect sales tool.

It’s been said before and said again, Rolex is a sign of success to non-watch people. If they’re also an “investment” then even better.

For me, and many watch collectors, I find it all a bit sad, but then there are plenty of other options out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Mysqueek View Post
    ....You’ve already bought a Sub and if you wear it going into the store they should see that you’re a valued watch collector...
    Sub & valued watch collector: don't make me laugh.

All they see is another Joe Schmoe prepared to jump through hoops.
    ______

​Jim.

You’re using a different context. It’s not the same as what I have detailed.

I have a shopping list.

I don’t necessarily buy the items in the order on the list and sometimes even buy things not on the list. I sometimes don’t buy everything on the list.

It’s still a list, a collection of items.

You’re using a different context. It’s not the same as what I have detailed.
    No they're both lists - collections of names or items. If they're taking names, those are going on a list (unless you are saying they don't save the names) but the AD doesn't have to adhere to the list.

No.

Your weekly shopping list and Mappin and Webb collecting details then selecting preferred customers are not the same and not the same as what the OP was asking.

No they're both lists - collections of names or items. If they're taking names, those are going on a list (unless you are saying they don't save the names) but the AD doesn't have to adhere to the list.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    Not related to watches but for something I’ve recently applied for I’m on an unofficial waiting list (with no estimated time) before I get on the official waiting list (18 months to 4 years). And before the I had to wait to see if I was accepted for the unofficial waiting list.
    I wouldn't want to be a freemason.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post

You guys have got it easy here
    GRRC ?

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=paule23;5165209]Not related to watches but for something I’ve recently applied for I’m on an unofficial waiting list (with no estimated time) before I get on the official waiting list (18 months to 4 years). And before the I had to wait to see if I was accepted for the unofficial waiting list.

Porsche or Ferrari?

I remember over 10 years ago walking into a jewellers on New Bond Street and enquiring about a Sub Date to be virtually ignored, then told rather snootily it was a 3 year wait. I crossed the road and bought the one on display in the window of the jewellers opposite (for the list price of £2300) then popped back into the other jewellers to tell him politely what I thought of his imaginary ‘list’. When I recounted that story on this very forum at the time, I was told how rude I had been. I really don’t understand - they’re shops, they talk nonsense, make stuff up, it’s like we owe them a favour to have the opportunity to buy their stuff. Vote with your wallet and buy something else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar experience when I bought my 16610. Goldsmiths haughtily dismissed me with talk of lengthy waiting lists. I phoned a few other ADs that day and had one on my wrist by the weekend for RRP.

Craftsman

Dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I remember over 10 years ago walking into a jewellers on New Bond Street and enquiring about a Sub Date to be virtually ignored, then told rather snootily it was a 3 year wait. I crossed the road and bought the one on display in the window of the jewellers opposite (for the list price of £2300) then popped back into the other jewellers to tell him politely what I thought of his imaginary ‘list’. When I recounted that story on this very forum at the time, I was told how rude I had been. I really don’t understand - they’re shops, they talk nonsense, make stuff up, it’s like we owe them a favour to have the opportunity to buy their stuff. Vote with your wallet and buy something else!

The dilemma at the moment for Buyers and has been for a while is do they put up with the AD nonsense of lists which do not exist, create some faux relationship with AD staff to hopefully get lucky or spend £££ thousands on other models to secure the one they really want, or just go to the secondary dealers, no nonsense but you pay over the odds to purchase.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    or just go to the secondary dealers, no nonsense but you pay over the odds to purchase.
    It occurs to me that, for many models, it's probably not hugely over the RRP. And if the RRP is going to increase, as seems very likely indeed, then today's seemingly inflated grey market price will simply be pretty similar to tomorrow's RRP.

My view therefore is to cut out the list rubbish and (non-existent) 'relationship' rubbish and go grey (or trustworthy secondhand), if you seriously want to buy

But don't buy to 'invest'. Buy to wear.

In other words, I see no real dilemma.

Yes, the current grey market price may be more than one ideally wants to pay but it's not far off what one will be paying by the time the stock at the AD arrives anyway.

People continuing to prostrate themselves on the brand altar while AD's whip them for ever believing they could be worthy is not a real-world problem

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

Can’t understand why you wasted your time going back to tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    “Pretty Woman” moment

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    People continuing to prostrate themselves on the brand altar while AD's whip them for ever believing they could be worthy is not a real-world problem

Prostrating themselves? Prostituting themselves more like.

Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post

'Must have' trinkets as evidenced by these constant threads, boohoo I can't get on a list, boohoo I 'have' to buy something I don't want to get the watch I want, apparently these are grown men?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    So I popped in today for a chat about the waiting list I’m on. Basically I picked up a new date sub from them in February after a few months of waiting and thought I’d go onto the list for a green sub thinking by the time my name comes up I’ll have saved the cash ready.
    Anyhows, I’m a bit ahead of my money and after trying on a deepsea the other day I fancy one of those .

So the question was , roughly where am I on the list for the sub . If I’m getting close I’ll sit tight, but if not then I’ll ask to move across to a deepsea .

Basically they won’t tell me where I am on the list . For. JC deepsea it’s a 12 YEAR list, and he couldn't tell me where I was in the sub list.

I guess I’m being robbed off ? I’ve bought 3 watches from them over two years and maybe expected at least hard information on my situation, even if it is way down the pecking order.
    You are not getting it, there are no lists it is a con, you haven't given them enough money yet, and when you do if someone has given them more they will put them in front of you along with the managers friends and dealers, you effectively let them insult you and then go back for more.

As I said on another thread I'm done with Rolex's

Craftsman
    Oldest trick in the book playing on human psychology. Probably goes back to before then but in 1957 a lady called Regine Zylberberg opened the first club in Paris that was the predecessor to the modern discotheque/nightclub.

Determined to be successful, she instructed her DJ to play the music loud and for the first three nights told the doormen not to let anyone in, telling punters the club was full. It created such a pent up demand that on the 4th evening, the doors were opened and she enjoyed decades of success.

Master
    Timely thread. I am in very similar position to OP, with the same chain of ADs. Bought 3 rolex from them in the last 18 months. Recently called and they were just so rude and arrogant. Young kids working there and one of them wearing a SS Pepsi himself! Apparently I am on a list for a SS Pepsi. Well that won't happen - I do not want to give them my business!

I have now found a local AD, much more friendly, values the relationship. I pop in and talk watches, have a cup of tea. I have bought one professional watch from them and a DJ. I have ordered another for later this year (DJ). I am enjoying the experience MUCH more than dealing with the conveyor belt that is the larger chains. Commission based sales people vs a family friendly AD - the difference is night and day...unless of course you are a big VIP spender, which I am not!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    You are not getting it, there are no lists it is a con, you haven't given them enough money yet, and when you do if someone has given them more they will put them in front of you along with the managers friends and dealers, you effectively let them insult you and then go back for more.

As I said on another thread I'm done with Rolex's
    I hope my AD comes through with a Sub no date (to mark a milestone) by the time my house move is completed hopefully September as I want to build a watch collection. Advice I’ve been given is ‘get your first Rolex from an AD’. I see at my AD (family owned) very wealthy customers & plenty of tourists so although I’m local and intend to purchase other six digit references including a PM model and a couple of ladies DJ’s, I won’t buy additional watches that I wont enjoy and wear just to be ‘visible’ as stand no chance.
    Looks like I won’t be buying my first from an AD

I bought my Daytona at Mappin and Webb on Guernsey in 1993, I was walking past and it was in the window, I went in and asked if it was real, he said of course it is, the story was that someone had ordered it and they couldn't trace him. I said can I buy it and he said yes, so credit cards, overdraft, cash, and I still have it.

I had been on Goldsmiths list in Chelmsford for five years!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Because his store was about 30 steps away from where I made the purchase, and I found him rude and condescending. I told him I didn’t appreciate being blatantly lied to and wouldn’t be making any purchases there in the future as a result. I like to share my feelings in person, that’s what we used to do in the olden days before the internet! A rude person is a rude person, and I have no issue pointing that out face to face. That’s how things get changed. Of course, being in possession of a spine, self confidence and having no fear of shopkeepers helps

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I bought my Daytona at Mappin and Webb on Guernsey in 1993, I was walking past and it was in the window, I went in and asked if it was real, he said of course it is, the story was that someone had ordered it and they couldn't trace him. I said can I buy it and he said yes, so credit cards, overdraft, cash, and I still have it.

I had been on Goldsmiths list in Chelmsford for five years!
    Only if something like this still happens nowadays...