closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sd 4000 ceramic vs sd43 red lettering

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    So when we say SD4K/SD4000 we mean SDc right?

I’m being facetious but, the Sea-Dweller 4000 has been around along time.

If we're being honest with ourselves a 16600 is the real investment and if you have even more the 16660. That and the white dial Zenith Daytona are two of the best looking watches Rolex has ever made. Had an immaculate 16600 from this forum but it was too small for my wrists so I sold within the forum but still wish I either had the wrists for it or the spare change to keep it as a safe queen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    I found the SD43 a bit of a flat slug of a watch.

Too flat and wide.

I only tried one on in my AD for a minute or so and that was exactly my overriding memory.

As usual, I am in a minority!

Craftsman
    SD43 for me if you have big wrists.

Apprentice
    What are the ref numbers you are talking about?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

References of different iterations of the Rolex Sea Dweller.

Craftsman
    I'm still kicking myself - two months ago I flew through Amsterdam Schipol and they had an SD43 with red lettering for circa 8800 euros.

I went to grab a coffee and googled the list price, by the time I went back there was another guy handing over his credit card...

Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    I'm still kicking myself - two months ago I flew through Amsterdam Schipol and they had an SD43 with red lettering for circa 8800 euros.

I went to grab a coffee and googled the list price, by the time I went back there was another guy handing over his credit card...
    You won't make that mistake twice. Half surprised someone on this forum made it once

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I prefer the SD43. Size, red lettering, cyclops doesnt offend me. But, its not a purist dweller so if you want pure "DNA" go for the 116600.

Personally, i find the 116600 visually very dull, i wouldnt choose it over any of the 5 digits or the 43mm.

Craftsman
    Really like the SD43, but hanging out for one at an AD, might be a while

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You won't make that mistake twice. Half surprised someone on this forum made it once
    I hadn't been visiting the forum for quite a while - I only wear my 16600 and G shock Riseman over the last few years. Also, I haven't been keeping up with prices over the last few years so I honestly had no clue....

Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    I hadn't been visiting the forum for quite a while - I only wear my 16600 and G shock Riseman over the last few years. Also, I haven't been keeping up with prices over the last few years so I honestly had no clue....
    Well at least the silver lining is that you the best one anyway. 16600 > 126600 > 116600. Only thing which beats it (imo) is the double red SD.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Well at least the silver lining is that you the best one anyway. 16600 > 126600 > 116600. Only thing which beats it (imo) is the double red SD.

Will we just miss out great whites and triple 6s then

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    So why is the cyclops a problem on the 43, but fine on other Rolex models? How can that be?
    Well, like l said, lm not a big fan of the cyclops on any rolex model.

I always liked that there was an option out there to cater for people not keen on it as a feature. Now there isn't.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    I always liked that there was an option out there to cater for people not keen on it as a feature. Now there isn't.
    Deepsea is still dateless and in the sea dweller range.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Am sure that was a slip of the finger, deepsea has date but no Cyclops. Sorry but my pedantic self made me post.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I’ve owned both and much preferred the SD43.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Am sure that was a slip of the finger, deepsea has date but no Cyclops. Sorry but my pedantic self made me post.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    yes, that.
    dont worry, i thoroughly approve of pedantry!

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post

You're very right. I do like the triple 6 but for the extra money I think the 16600 is better bang for buck. The great white is only trumped by the double red imo. Great example in the pic. Lovely watch.

Master
    The SD43 for me but then I do have particularly large wrists

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    True, but you could hammer nails in with the deapsea. Like the new sd l just find it too big.
    The charm of the 40mm seadweller, to me, has always been its relatively similar dimensions to the sub, but date with no cyclops.
    I guess it just represents rolex's sweet spot to me.

Journeyman
    True, but you could hammer nails in with the deapsea. Like the new sd l just find it too big.
    The charm of the 40mm seadweller, to me, has always been its relatively similar dimensions to the sub, but date with no cyclops.
    The old SDc was quite similar to the new maxi case sub though. You essentially had 3 very similar watches - no date sub, date sub and SDc with date but no cyclops. The new one is just a bit more differentiated from the range (although I accept not quite as much heritage, which a lot of people are up in arms about as well)

Quote Originally Posted by lostp View Post
    The old SDc was quite similar to the new maxi case sub though. You essentially had 3 very similar watches - no date sub, date sub and SDc with date but no cyclops. The new one is just a bit more differentiated from the range (although I accept not quite as much heritage, which a lot of people are up in arms about as well)
    That's what l liked so much about the SDc - very similar to the sub, but with no Cyclops - just as its non ceramic predecessors were similar to the sub of their day...but, again, no Cyclops.
    The only thing l can fault the rolex submariner for is its cyclops. I'm in a minority l know - but far from alone.

Craftsman
    It really is worth trying on the latest version of the Deep Sea, an incredibly comfortable watch to wear. It really doesn't feel any more awkward than my SD43 (which doesn't feel awkward at all).

Still, the most comfortable of all was my 16600.

Master
    That's what l liked so much about the SDc - very similar to the sub, but with no Cyclops - just as its non ceramic predecessors were similar to the sub of their day...but, again, no Cyclops.
    The only thing l can fault the rolex submariner for is its cyclops. I'm in a minority l know - but far from alone.

Am I alone in finding that the cyclops makes out harder to read the date? It gets in the way, distorts the hands and the date...I do know that I find it easier to read the date on my SMP 2264 (no cyclops) than on my 16710 GMT II. I thought of changing the crystal for that from the 14060, in the days when you could still get parts, though the values now tend to demand originality. It does tend to draw me towards the idea of trading the 16710 for a SDC for a 16600, plus cash...

The best solution I've ever come across though was the early 80's Here Sports 2000 Chronograph, which had a magnifier built into the date window of the dial. Larger image; no bump; no getting in the way....

Master
    Sorry - double post removed

Master
    Think the SDc and 16710 would be a similar price if the 16710 is a full set

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Personally speaking, I’m not a vintage fan. However, every now and then I see something that really makes me stop and stare, such as this.

Lovely.

Master

Sd 4000 ceramic vs sd43 red lettering

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Personally speaking, I’m not a vintage fan. However, every now and then I see something that really makes me stop and stare, such as this.

Lovely.
    Had to pester Alanski from this parish to get that and funnily enough I traded an SDc plus quite a bit of cash for it.

Never regretted it but did have to get another SDc after that.

I ended up selling my SDc (at the worst time of course, but you live and learn) because I found it just too tall for its size. I need to look out the SD43, which from the sounds of it fixes that problem - assuming I can pull it off on my manly 6.75" wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I ended up selling my SDc (at the worst time of course, but you live and learn) because I found it just too tall for its size. I need to look out the SD43, which from the sounds of it fixes that problem - assuming I can pull it off on my manly 6.75" wrist.
    Just get a sub - it'll suit your wrist better and, seeing as you don't mind a cyclops and presumably don't need to swim 4000ft underwater, the sub should be plenty good enough.

Master
    Same wrist as me. I’ve just received a SD43 and it wears fantastic. The thin sloping lugs really make it feel smaller than 43mm. In fact wears smaller ( or feels smaller) than my Explorer 42mm. The lugs really are a nice change from the boxy modern cases IMO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranges10 View Post
    Same wrist as me. I’ve just received a SD43 and it wears fantastic. The thin sloping lugs really make it feel smaller than 43mm. In fact wears smaller ( or feels smaller) than my Explorer 42mm. The lugs really are a nice change from the boxy modern cases IMO.
    I totally agree having just picked one up,it seems to wear slightly smaller than my 42mm polar explorer.

It's the reason i have had 3 subs and sold them as they seem to wear too small so the SDc would be no use to me.

Thanks guys. Umbongo, I have a Hulk and (as you say) I prefer the fit of that. Oranges, glad you're enjoying it - definitely need to try it when my AD gets one in.

Master
    Think the SDc and 16710 would be a similar price if the 16710 is a full set
    Aye - and there's the rub! A 16600 seems to be about US$5k cheaper than a full set 16720, but the 116600 is about the same price. So, do I:

1. Stay with the 16710, and continue to live with the irritation of the cyclops, and the poor lume. This is unhelpful when you're travelling and you wake jet-lagged in the middle of the night and want to know the time - a real world problem for me for around 2-3 months a year.
    2. Trade the 16710 for a SDc and lose the cyclops but with it, the versatility of the GMT II, in exchange for the better lumed dial and hands of the SD?
    3. Trade the 16710 for a SD 16600, plus enough cash to get something else interesting, whilst accepting the loss of the GMT's versatility and relative rarity, whilst having the same lime problem as the 16710? The cash difference should be enough to fund an Omega SMP GMT or a Planet Ocean GMT. These are both much better lumed but offer the same functionality as the 16710, though without the same style or, I suspect, the same pleasure of ownership...
    Last edited by HappyJack; 8th August 2019 at 01:01.

Master
    Thanks guys. Umbongo, I have a Hulk and (as you say) I prefer the fit of that. Oranges, glad you're enjoying it - definitely need to try it when my AD gets one in.
    Frankly, you’l be lucky. That watch will be sold the day it arrives; you are unlikely to see it. That’s one of the problems with Rolex.

Craftsman
    love my SD43 .. been my daily wear since I got it back in 2017 .. I had always lusted after a red sub or a drsd but wanted something that I could wear without worry . The SD43 for me is the perfect watch to get old with .

I'm lucky to also have a matte dial 16660 for my 'vintage' SD kicks , although obviously not in the same league as the plexi SD's

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hot66 View Post
    love my SD43 .. been my daily wear since I got it back in 2017 .. I had always lusted after a red sub or a drsd but wanted something that I could wear without worry . The SD43 for me is the perfect watch to get old with .

I'm lucky to also have a matte dial 16660 for my 'vintage' SD kicks , although obviously not in the same league as the plexi SD's
    Disagree with the last bit
    A good nice matte dial triple6 is up there with the plexi's and the stardust dial triple6's are wonderful also.
    Last edited by Hood; 8th August 2019 at 16:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Aye - and there's the rub! A 16600 seems to be about US$5k cheaper than a full set 16720, but the 116600 is about the same price. So, do I:

1. Stay with the 16710, and continue to live with the irritation of the cyclops, and the poor lume. This is unhelpful when you're travelling and you wake jet-lagged in the middle of the night and want to know the time - a real world problem for me for around 2-3 months a year.
    2. Trade the 16710 for a SDc and lose the cyclops but with it, the versatility of the GMT II, in exchange for the better lumed dial and hands of the SD?
    3. Trade the 16710 for a SD 16600, plus enough cash to get something else interesting, whilst accepting the loss of the GMT's versatility and relative rarity, whilst having the same lime problem as the 16710? The cash difference should be enough to fund an Omega SMP GMT or a Planet Ocean GMT. These are both much better lumed but offer the same functionality as the 16710, though without the same style or, I suspect, the same pleasure of ownership...
    I would be looking to keep the 16710 if I was you and buy a cheaper GMT for when necessary.
    The 4 and 5 digit pepsis/cokes are just that bit special on the wrist.