closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sd 4000 ceramic vs sd43 red lettering

Sd 4000 ceramic vs sd43 red lettering

I’ve been looking at these as a future purchase.
    Am I right I’m thinking the ceramic sd 4000 is now discontinued, and the current one is the sd43 with red lettering ? When did the sd4000 get discontinued ?

From what I can gleen from chrono24, the sd 4000’s seem be marginally more expensive (used) than the sd43 red .... although direct comparisons are impossible as the sd43 is usually a younger watch.

Apologies if I have any of the terminology wrong. Anyone able to confirm this ?

Thanks
    Simon

They are quite different watches to wear. I’ve had both so can comment from my experience. The sd4000 is 40mm and was only made for less than 3 years. I personally wasn’t a huge fan and found the case height for the 40mm a bit odd and top heavy. I loved the dial though, it was beautiful. It has the potential to be very collectible but the prices haven’t continued to rise as I thought they would.

The sd43 comes in two guises but essentially the same watch. For some they would rather own the 2017 watch as this was the true 50th anniv watch. From 2018 on they changed the dial slightly to add the coronet at 6 o’clock. I found this sd43 superbly comfortable and a striking watch. The adjustability of the bracelet, the cyclops, the red writing. Like the perfect Rolex sports watch imo.

Thanks for the reply.
    I never knew that detail you’ve provided.
    Interesting that the sd4000 was only produced for such a short while.

I was essentially being a skin flint looking for the cheapest entry point into a ceramic SD !!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    They are quite different watches to wear. I’ve had both so can comment from my experience. The sd4000 is 40mm and was only made for less than 3 years. I personally wasn’t a huge fan and found the case height for the 40mm a bit odd and top heavy. I loved the dial though, it was beautiful. It has the potential to be very collectible but the prices haven’t continued to rise as I thought they would.

The sd43 comes in two guises but essentially the same watch. For some they would rather own the 2017 watch as this was the true 50th anniv watch. From 2018 on they changed the dial slightly to add the coronet at 6 o’clock. I found this sd43 superbly comfortable and a striking watch. The adjustability of the bracelet, the cyclops, the red writing. Like the perfect Rolex sports watch imo.
    Never had a sd4000 but always found 40mm Rolex watches not for me...this however is never going anywhere.

Craftsman
    As above the SD43 (or anniversary or whatever) seems somehow, to lose the top heavy feel that some older SD's used to have although I do think some of it is down to the individual-some folk even find the 16600 too top heavy.

The issue you have about future values is you don't know how long the SD43 will be in production for, in that respect the SD4000 is a known entity although I'd be amazed if the SD43 was in production for less than 3 years. They could theoretically get rid of the red writing at some point but I doubt it-you never know with Rolex of course, they only rarely do what you expect.

The SD43 mk1 was in production for a year or there abouts by the way, plenty of 2018 models have the coronet-less dial.

Should you have a reasonable AD, the thoughts are a SD43 is one of the easier watches to get and at list it's a no brainer for me. The elephant in the room is the Deep Sea Sea Dweller which in the most recent update is supremely comfortable and somewhat unloved.

I asked my AD and get the call within six weeks, as with most things unloved it could end up being the sought after one in years to come.

Master
    ‘’One of the easier watches to get’’......really? the local AD says he sees two sd43s a year.
    I’ve had the 40mm and the 43mm. Much to my surprise, I found the bigger watch more likeable.
    Future values....no-one knows and that’s not a wise basis for a choice anyway.
    Last edited by paskinner; 3rd August 2019 at 17:34.

The SD4K is the more subtle option in my opinion. Probably be my last watch if I could only have one.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

SD 4000 is a fabulous watch very overlooked when in production and is now somewhat of a collectible

As said if I had to go down to one it would be in last 2 easily

the SD43 is a very nice watch but cyclops and size are not for everyone that said its very well engineered.

What a brilliant resource of information.
    I just hadn’t appreciated the differences - 40mm vs 43mm being one of the first !
    ...and cyclops vs no cyclops

Thanks guys

I’ve had both and still own the sd4000. I’m very fortunate to have owned plenty of Rolex over the years but I must say, if I had to settle for one watch forever, I could quite easily pick the sd4000. I love the fact you don’t see many in the wild, (I’ve never seen another). It’s superb and I’d pick it over the 43mm all day long...

Master
    Obviously personal preference but the SD4000 was, for me, the last "proper" Sea-Dweller. Perfectly proportioned to my eyes. I just think the SD43 looks too "flat" - like an SD43 that's been run over by a traction engine!

I wasn't aware that the SD4000 was overtaking the SD43 in the secondary market.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Obviously personal preference but the SD4000 was, for me, the last "proper" Sea-Dweller. Perfectly proportioned to my eyes. I just think the SD43 looks too "flat" - like an SD43 that's been run over by a traction engine!

I wasn't aware that the SD4000 was overtaking the SD43 in the secondary market.
    That’s just my observation on chrono24 ... they seem to be at least parity and the private sales are £10-11k

Craftsman
    A SD4000 is high up on my hitlist but my dealer (personal friend before dealer I hasten to add) reckons they are very stale on selling and advised me to wait. He reckons they've shot up so quick the asking price has eclipsed the selling by too big a margin. Not sure if there's much evidence of that searching sold items on eBay or the like?

Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    A SD4000 is high up on my hitlist but my dealer (personal friend before dealer I hasten to add) reckons they are very stale on selling and advised me to wait. He reckons they've shot up so quick the asking price has eclipsed the selling by too big a margin. Not sure if there's much evidence of that searching sold items on eBay or the like?
    Doubt they’ll get any cheaper..only way to test his theory is to fire off some low ball offers to various dealers and see what they come back with. One would imagine a dealer not wanting to sit on stock too long so you’ll soon find out where the bottom line is imo...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the SD4K, 40mm and a matte dial. Perfect combo.

Master
    SDc for me out of the two.
    SD43 too big and seadwellers should be sans cyclops for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Doubt they’ll get any cheaper..only way to test his theory is to fire off some low ball offers to various dealers and see what they come back with. One would imagine a dealer not wanting to sit on stock too long so you’ll soon find out where the bottom line is imo...

That's the stupid market we're in though, with the way the market spirals they can compound any buying error by sitting on the watch to let the market catch up.

In a void of stock the bubble can expand to match the pricing error.

This isn’t a bad idea ... will do that a bit closer to Brexit date !

What would you classify as low ball ? 10-15% below asking price ? (Dealer)

Master
    I own both, If I had to choose, it would be the SD4000 every time.

Journeyman
    The proportions of the SD43 work better for me, the 40mm ends up looking a bit square whereas the SD43 has proportions similar to classic 5 digit SS models but sized up.

If the price is similar then go into Watchfinder and try both on then buy the one you love. You can tell from replies here that folk are split right down the middle!

Master
    SD43 for me. Size, proportions, bracelet, red text.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No crystal ball here but I think the SDc has the beginnings of a future classic.
    Short production run, great size - not too big, not too small, decent bracelet.
    It's the watch I wear the least but the one I'd miss the most.

if I had to settle for one watch forever, I could quite easily pick the sd4000.
    My experience exactly.

When it was released and I saw it in the window I thought 'If I could only own one watch it would be that'.

I've now owned one a few years and I feel exactly the same.

Another vote for the SD4000 from me.
    It's my go-to wearer, just the right size and no Cyclops...as said, the last "true" seadweller - to my eyes anyway.
    The Sd4000 and its non-ceramic predecessor are, in my opinion, examples of rolex at its very best.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Another vote for the SD4000 from me.
    It's my go-to wearer, just the right size and no Cyclops...as said, the last "true" seadweller - to my eyes anyway.
    The Sd4000 and its non-ceramic predecessor are, in my opinion, examples of rolex at its very best.
    I have mixed views on this. The SD4000 is bound to become a sought after classic, mainly because of the 3 year production run. Scarcity is the best driver for an upwards price trend in the world of Rolex.

However, in my opinion, the Sub wears better and looks better, so if I had both models, I would wear the Sub and keep the SD in the safe. I suspect many others will do the same.

I suspect that the SD43 will also become another popular safe queen.

Master
    The sd4000 was a poor seller; the SD43 seems to sell strongly. Buyers in general prefer it. And, I think, with good reason, the 4000 is a bit ‘toppy’ because the ration of width to depth is inferior,compared with the 43, which in my experience, sits better on the wrist.
    Then we get the cyclops; Rolex made it clear that the lack of the cyclops was because technology wasn’t up to it. Now it is and the 43 joins the other members of the range in having a date you can easily see.
    Finally, for me, the 43 is a more interesting dial to look at.
    The 4000 will always do well, in the way short-run models often do, but it won’t compete with the 43mm in the real test.....retail sales. Because, I believe, it is the less interesting watch unless you have very small wrists, when the depth will make it look a bit unbalanced.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have mixed views on this. The SD4000 is bound to become a sought after classic, mainly because of the 3 year production run. Scarcity is the best driver for an upwards price trend in the world of Rolex.

However, in my opinion, the Sub wears better and looks better, so if I had both models, I would wear the Sub and keep the SD in the safe. I suspect many others will do the same.

I suspect that the SD43 will also become another popular safe queen.
    To be honest, I'd agree. I've put mine on today, mainly because of this thread!
    As your only Rolex SS, the SDc is perfect. However, as part of a collection, it misses out. The term Jack of all trades springs to mind. If I want modern, I'll go with the BLNR, fancy a classic then it's the 16600. However, if I had to choose one to cover all bases, then the SDc does that the best.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The sd4000 was a poor seller; the SD43 seems to sell strongly. Buyers in general prefer it. And, I think, with good reason, the 4000 is a bit ‘toppy’ because the ration of width to depth is inferior,compared with the 43, which in my experience, sits better on the wrist.
    Then we get the cyclops; Rolex made it clear that the lack of the cyclops was because technology wasn’t up to it. Now it is and the 43 joins the other members of the range in having a date you can easily see.
    Finally, for me, the 43 is a more interesting dial to look at.
    The 4000 will always do well, in the way short-run models often do, but it won’t compete with the 43mm in the real test.....retail sales. Because, I believe, it is the less interesting watch unless you have very small wrists, when the depth will make it look a bit unbalanced.
    Haha! You've always had a knack for presenting your personal opinions as fact!
    I do agree that the 43 will surpass the 4000 in terms of units sold... because there will be more units made.
    As for "a date you can easily see" - having reasonable vision l can easily see the date on every non-cyclops watch l own.
    My reason for disliking the submariner stems in no small part from the cyclops obscuring the date when viewed from any angle other than square on...

All just opinions though.

Edit:- to say l "dislike" the sub is an overstatement... I just prefer no Cyclops...
    Last edited by Umbongo; 4th August 2019 at 15:07.

Both models have their own markets and the models are different enough to be quite polarising. Better off to think of them as two totally different Rolex models as comparing them as two sea Dwellers isn't the comparing apples with apples exercise it should be.

I have fat wrists and would pick the SD43 every day of the week. Most others will have smaller wrists and the SDc will suit better unless they actually prefer chunky watches but imo the SDc was slightly top heavy.

You're not going to go too far wrong with either.

For what it's worth I think paskinner is mostly right in what he says re availability although he does have 9.5 kilos of skin in the game at the moment (ha). People saying they are easy to get either have a £25k+ 12 month spend with their AD or are just assuming because it's for sale it's infinitely easier to get than a discontinued model.

tl;dr they're both decent investments as far as watches go, just pick one and get it over and done with.

Craftsman
    I have the SDC and it was purchased just at the right time before it became discontinued.
    Great watch but as I like big watches it feels a little small on my wrist and possibly is the main reason it never gets worn.
    I have thought many a time of swapping for the sd43 or even a YM2 which I love which in terms of size would suit me better.
    A couple of reasons stop me swapping it but the main driver isn't the possible future classic, more sentimental.
    I have a few larger watches so I'll probably just leave it tucked away for the time being which is a shame really!
    Last edited by Gee252; 4th August 2019 at 16:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    I have the SDC and it was purchased just at the right time before it became discontinued.
    Great watch but as I like big watches it feels a little small on my wrist and possibly is the main reason it never gets worn.
    I have thought many a time of swapping for the sd43 or even a YM2 which I love which in terms of size would suit me better.
    A couple of reasons stop me swapping it but the main driver isn't the possible future classic, more sentimental.
    I have a few larger watches so I'll probably just leave it tucked away for the time being which is a shame really!
    How big is your wrist?

Craftsman
    Never measured but just looks small!
    Where as the rest of my watches are anything from 42mm to 45mm and just look, feel more in proportion.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    As for "a date you can easily see" - having reasonable vision l can easily see the date on every non-cyclops watch l own.
    My reason for disliking the submariner stems in no small part from the cyclops obscuring the date when viewed from any angle other than square on...

All just opinions though.

Edit:- to say l "dislike" the sub is an overstatement... I just prefer no Cyclops...
    I'm the same with the cyclops, I can easily read a SD date but with the cyclops you have to tilt your wrist to see it through the bubble.

Had a few !
    Still have the SD43 which apart from the potential rarity of the SD4K is better in every respect, at least from my point of view.narrow and unbalanced bracelet on the earlier watch and overall nicer size for the case on the SD43 which led me to sell both my Cameron and SD4K in acknowledgment that the ‘43 is just nicer than the other 2. Cameron nice but never seemed to fit under cuffs And always felt a tiny bit uncomfortable for me.
    In 30 plus years of watch collecting I’ve owned over 250, I can’t see the SD43 going anytime soon
    Don’t forget the 10yr service interval on the latest watches.
    Most SD4K will be due a £700-odd service about now

Master
    So why is the cyclops a problem on the 43, but fine on other Rolex models? How can that be?

Master
    At the end of last year, I had both along with the JC.
    The only one I have left is the JC - I find it to be a more interesting watch. The SD43 is better proportioned, but feels like a big sub. I prefer a bit of colour which is why the JC wins
    Last edited by mtagrant; 4th August 2019 at 18:56.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    So why is the cyclops a problem on the 43, but fine on other Rolex models? How can that be?
    No "good" reason - it was just a distinguishing feature of the SD for many years. Lots of people prefer the "clean" look of no cyclops but it does rule out seeing the date for people like me with poor near vision.

.....this just goes to show how subjective the watch thing is because I sold the JC almost straight away. I loved the overbuilt engineering and colour but as an everyday watch it was definitely not for me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I found the SD43 a bit of a flat slug of a watch. Lasted a few days, then off. Too flat and wide.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Had a few !
    Still have the SD43 which apart from the potential rarity of the SD4K is better in every respect, at least from my point of view.narrow and unbalanced bracelet on the earlier watch and overall nicer size for the case on the SD43 which led me to sell both my Cameron and SD4K in acknowledgment that the ‘43 is just nicer than the other 2. Cameron nice but never seemed to fit under cuffs And always felt a tiny bit uncomfortable for me.
    In 30 plus years of watch collecting I’ve owned over 250, I can’t see the SD43 going anytime soon
    Don’t forget the 10yr service interval on the latest watches.
    Most SD4K will be due a £700-odd service about now
    Agree - I’ve JC and the 16600. JC is a nice watch, but too cumbersome.
    Both the 4K and sd43 seem to retail at 11k mark... circa 1-1.5k less for a private sale.

Interesting thoughts on the sd43, which sounds more balanced - and tbh my final decision won’t based on residuals down the line.

I’ll keep looking !

Craftsman
    I am fortunate to have these, and the SD4K is by far my favourite. Good luck with whichever you decide on.

Rol by KP Si, on Flickr

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ukboweldoc View Post
    Ah, an aficionado I see! Apropos of nothing, I think a SD43 would go best with what you already own. As nice as the SD4000 is the 16600 is the nicer watch IMHO, the SD43 is almost as nice as the 16600 but is different enough to warrant both!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ukboweldoc View Post
    Both the 4K and sd43 seem to retail at 11k mark... circa 1-1.5k less for a private sale.

Interesting thoughts on the sd43, which sounds more balanced - and tbh my final decision won’t based on residuals down the line.

I’ll keep looking !
    Have you tried them both on yet?

I suspect your choice would be a lot easier once you have!

Personally I don’t think the SD4k is different enough from the 16600 while the SD43 has the cyclops and red text...

Ah, an aficionado I see! Apropos of nothing, I think a SD43 would go best with what you already own. As nice as the SD4000 is the 16600 is the nicer watch IMHO, the SD43 is almost as nice as the 16600 but is different enough to warrant both!
    Alas, I sold these along with several others (1665, LV, fat lady) nearly 3 yrs ago to fund a house move ...
    While I was happy with the monies I received, in hindsight I would have funded the house differently !

Master
    Never really got the "unbalanced" thing regards the SDc
    Wore mine for 6 months and it never toppled off my wrist once.

Should you have a reasonable AD, the thoughts are a SD43 is one of the easier watches to get and at list it's a no brainer for me. The elephant in the room is the Deep Sea Sea Dweller which in the most recent update is supremely comfortable and somewhat unloved.

I asked my AD and get the call within six weeks, as with most things unloved it could end up being the sought after one in years to come.
    I’ve been waiting two years and a bit so far on the list at Goldsmiths Middlesbrough. Admittedly not my usual AD but I’m struggling to get one. I got my DBlue in less than half the time. YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    Sd43 seems to be the sports watch that doesn’t command a huge premium , can pick these up for around 9.5-10k , which is value for money compared to the other steel sports watch models ,

Out of the sd43 and the sd4k its all about which models fits your wrist better , the sd43 wouldn’t work on small wrists , the sd4k is a beauty but doesn’t have the presence of the 43 , either one is a good investment if you change your mind and want to flip at some point

So when we say SD4K/SD4000 we mean SDc right?

I’m being facetious but, the Sea-Dweller 4000 has been around along time.