closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any plumbers on here that could help?

Master

Any plumbers on here that could help?

Hi all, have a bit of a problem and hoping somebody on here can help (always a great source of knowledge on here). One of the knobs on my bar mixer shower has decided to come off and I've no idea how to refit it. It hasn't snapped but has loosened off over the past few months until its come off completely. Can't seem to find any way to get it back together but might just be being a bit numb. Couple of photos to show what I mean, any help much appreciated.

Master
    Forgot to say theres no grub screws or anything similar to undo and the knob part is all one piece.

Master
    Not a plumber but from personal experience, I’d say the knob is just a push fit. The plastic into which the knurled (if that’s the right word) part of the valve fits has probably become worn so nothing to grip the metal.

Can you post pic of inside of the knob? EDIT: Sorry, didn't spot pic 2 on my phone!!
    Last edited by David_D; 3rd August 2019 at 11:26.

Craftsman

Knob

Are You sure?Usually the plastic handle sits on the splined metal brass piece and a screw goes through the plastic handle. Look again and see .does the centre of the plastic bit come out and is there a screw hole in the splined brass centre?

Craftsman

Knob

I can see the screw end in the handle I think! Try pushing middle of plaastic handle out to get access to screw head and replace on brass spline.Thigten screw replace handle end cap

^^^ What he said. Look on the end of the splined shaft and see if there's a threaded hole, if there is then the centre cap on the handle must be able to be removed and you'll find a screw underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Are You sure?Usually the plastic handle sits on the splined metal brass piece and a screw goes through the plastic handle. Look again and see .does the centre of the plastic bit come out and is there a screw hole in the splined brass centre?

lew is right there is defo a grub screw ,look for a little hole in the tap !!

the grub screw, allen bolt normally ,has probably come out and down the drain, trip to plumbers merchants or screwfix

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    I can see the screw end in the handle I think! Try pushing middle of plaastic handle out to get access to screw head and replace on brass spline.Thigten screw replace handle end cap
    Thats the one.

From my experience, the ‘handle’ sticking out from the side usually unscrews, giving access to insert an Allan key to tighten a grub screw. These are often difficult to unscrew as they get scaled up.

This one looks a bit different, does the screw make contact with the nut behind the retaining clip?

Master
    My kitchen tap has a plastic cap on each of the H & C taps. You can get your finder nail under the edge to take it off and that conceals the screw.

Master
    Looking at pic2 the retaining screw has come slack, and is still in place, the handle may/should have a cover in the centre marked hot or cold, this should prise out allowing access to the screw head, push the knob back on, tighten screw, refit cover, and Fannys yer aunt.
    If this works my invoice will be in the mail.

Master
    As the others have said, there should be a screw underneath the end of the part that has come off. Try using a small penknife blade to separate the cover from the handle and you should see the screw that holds the handle onto the body.

Master
    Can you post a picture of the other side of the handle?

If there's no cover to be prised off then it's possible that the small stem sticking out is the grub screw that fixes the silver handle to the fixing mechanism inside. Undo the stem (probably tight though) & slide out the innards which should include the screw that fixes the innards onto the spline.

Master
    Thanks for all the replies people👍Currently out and about with the family then off to do a 12hr night shift. Will take another look tomorrow once I get up. From what I can remember there is a small screw in the inside of the handle that must screw into the valve part on the actual bar mixer main body. Just can't work out how to do it (must be something to do with the protruding part on the outside of the handle).
    Thanks again, Toddy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Can you post a picture of the other side of the handle?

If there's no cover to be prised off then it's possible that the small stem sticking out is the grub screw that fixes the silver handle to the fixing mechanism inside. Undo the stem (probably tight though) & slide out the innards which should include the screw that fixes the innards onto the spline.
    Think this is the way to go.

Craftsman

In my non-professional experience

the bore of the splined piece to the left of your first picture is threaded and on the opposite end of the tap piece there is a cap which unscrews to reveal the retaining screw.

Take the end off the knob with a knife or small flat screwdriver to reveal a cross head screw - push knob back on ensure it’s lined up where you want it - tighten screw - push end/cap/bit back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    Take the end off the knob with a knife or small flat screwdriver to reveal a cross head screw - push knob back on ensure it’s lined up where you want it - tighten screw - push end/cap/bit back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The handle/knob bit is all one solid piece (no end cap). At work at the moment but I'm sure I must have to unscrew the protruding part and access the screw from there.....hopefully!

The end cap mishy cover the entire end and will probably unscrew. Post a pic of the side and front.

Master
    All sorted thanks, had to unscrew the protruding part from the knob which revealed a small threaded bar. Removed this with a hex key which the released the inner parts. Fastened these inner parts back onto the bar mixer, placed the knob over these then nipped back up with the threaded bar. Pretty simple when I had the time.to.look at it properly. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions👍

Craftsman
    If you have any more problems with it, a new thermostatic one is not that expensive (c £70 from Screwfix) and they are easy to replace as the pipe centres coming out of the wall are usually a standard 150mm. Turn the water off, let off the pressure, then swap over. Less than an hour for a plumber to sort out if you aren't confident it doing it yourself.