closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Am I crazy, Wearing a smart watch

Am I crazy, Wearing a smart watch

Am I on my own with this one, I have many watches and recently picked up a Pelagos that was my forever watch, however I have picked up a Samsung smart watch from the recent Argos deal and to my horror I am wearing this more than all of my other watches. So far i have purchased several watch faces from the Samsung store, I just love the way the watch lights up in the dark as well as the built in alarm that actually wakes me in a morning. I do not actually use the watch for messages etc but just love the fact I can change watch faces at the press of a button. I am ashamed really as this watch has no mechanical internals, something that has always been my passion. Do I need help?

I think I am crazy, I wear my Apple Watch on my right and my other watches on my left and have done for a year now.

Master
    There are some very nice faces out there on the net. Perhaps you could show us some of yours?

When they first came out I could definitely see the attraction with being able to access so many different dials. I haven't actually bought one yet though. When they make a 200m rated one I'll probably go for it

You're not changing the watch face at the press of a button, you're changing the picture of a watch face. If that's enough to engage your eyes, why bother paying for three dimensions?

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    I think I am crazy, I wear my Apple Watch on my right and my other watches on my left and have done for a year now.
    Thanks, that makes me feel a little better now, there are some improvements that need to happen such as better battery life or solar and as said by redmonaco more water resistance, Is a dial three dimensional though, It is just flat looking from above, I can understand that the watch itself has three dimensions but looking at a watch dial, you can only see it in one dimension, mmmm, that is a good question?

I am doing to exactly the same with an Apple Watch.

Do/wear what you like. Why should you care what others think? Whatever floats your boat.

I've refused to buy one based on the notion that I might prefer it to wearing mechanicals.

I'm not putting one on each wrist.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I am doing to exactly the same with an Apple Watch.
    Fitbit on the right , Omega on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I've refused to buy one based on the notion that I might prefer it to wearing mechanicals.

I'm not putting one on each wrist.
    I thought the same but bought an Apple Watch and its fantastic, the functionality will always be obviously way better than any mechanical watch....

However catch yourself in the mirror wearing it, it soon led me back to my collection of mechanical divers...

I have an Apple Watch and it’s far more useful for the beach, kitesurfing, than a conventional watch. If I dive to 200m then something has gone badly wrong, and the way you can set up the screens is very practical. Mine has wind speed, tide movement, temperature and incoming weather without needing a monstrous g shock. One swipe and I have it on work mode, diary, worldtime (useful for tracking colleagues overseas)

That said, I still love conventional watches. That won’t change and just added a new Prospex to my collection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by messym; 3rd August 2019 at 15:34.

Quote Originally Posted by messym View Post
    I have an Apple Watch and it’s far more useful for the beach, kitesurfing, than a conventional watch. If I dive to 200m then something has gone badly wrong, and the way you can set up the screens is very practical. Mine has wind speed, tide movement, temperature and incoming weather without needing a monstrous g shock. One swipe and I have it on work mode, diary, worldtime (useful for tracking colleagues overseas)

That said, I still love conventional watches. That won’t change and just added a new Prospex to my collection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wow, love this, more info please

SRPD35K1, new this year I believe. 43mm case (but wears much smaller), pvd coating, internal compass controlled by the guarded crown, 200m water resistant, non screw down crown, faux vintage lume, black day/date wheel, drilled lugs, 4R36 movement, perfect weekend watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Nope

Craftsman
    Due to the shenanigans pulled by big tech companies I’m a little wary of giving my health data out, so have avoided getting a watch with a heart rate monitor. I know Apple are making a big thing at the moment of not selling your data but I’m quite happy wearing my tinfoil hat.

SRPD35K1, new this year I believe. 43mm case (but wears much smaller), pvd coating, internal compass controlled by the guarded crown, 200m water resistant, non screw down crown, faux vintage lume, black day/date wheel, drilled lugs, 4R36 movement, perfect weekend watch!

Thanks, will take a look at this baby

Similar for me, mechanical on my left, Tom Tom gym watch on right always
    Dan

Master
    This is starting to feel like an AA meeting... My name is Itsguy and I’ve also worn an Apple Watch on the other wrist, hidden out of sight, hoping no one will notice. But only during working hours, or when playing tennis (there are apps for keeping score and tracking your shots, the worst thing about tennis is trying to remember the score). It’s set up to alert me to important messages, calls and emails only, no other notifications. That way you can relax completely when you’re bunking off, without checking your phone, safe in the knowledge that if anything genuinely important happens, you’ll know.

I still think it’s an ugly lump though. Hopefully one day it will just be a subtle wrist band.

Nothing wrong with adding a smart watch to the collection.

I don't get the idea of saying that you won't as you might not like the mechanical watches afterwards.

Both do the same thing (and then some in the case of the smart watch) but in very different ways.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
    Nope

Curious to know what do the chrono buttons do on this watch?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

+1

Master
    It’s been 2 years since I bought an Apple Watch to wear only when working out. Realised straightaway that it is best to keep it on the wrist all the time to utilise the health/fitness features to their full potential. Been wearing that smart watch on my right wrist and a dumb watch on the left wrist since then. The smart features are handy but I wouldn’t be wearing 2 watches if it wasn’t for the fitness stuff. I haven’t even changed the watch face in 2 years. I am only interested in the display that shows calorie, exercise minutes and stand hour rings and numbers.

I can't find much info on it - does the crown at 2 also do the time or just the internal bezel or is it the crown at 4?
    The one at 4 looks extremely flush, so is that a challenge to use?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I can't find much info on it - does the crown at 2 also do the time or just the internal bezel or is it the crown at 4?
    The one at 4 looks extremely flush, so is that a challenge to use?
    Guarded crown at 2 does the internal bezel. The flushed crown at 4 is for time, date and winding has a hatched effect on it and the movement isn’t rough. It has a small lip underneath to ease it out for setting the time. It’s 200m wr without having a screw down crown and handwinding is a doddle

Last edited by messym; 4th August 2019 at 07:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertf View Post
    Curious to know what do the chrono buttons do on this watch?

They're programmable to do what you want them to do (It's a hybrid smartwatch)

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    They're programmable to do what you want them to do (It's a hybrid smartwatch)
    Ah thanks I see

Pebble under my shirt cuff on my right and mechanical on the left.

Craftsman
    Have a few decent watches but started to wear a.smartwatch on a daily basis. My latest Nokia steel HR stopped working and I was lost, it started again and then stopped again. Found a good deal. On a Tudor Heritage Ranger and am now wearing that on the left and the Nokia on the right for heart rate, steps and notifications. Must say it feels strange on both wrists.... But enjoying the Tudor.....