closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a perfect watch?

Is there a perfect watch?

I've a number of great watches, some of them forum darlings. Yet for each and every one of them, there's this or that detail that's somewhat bothering.

No AR for the 2254, the SBGR061 and the Skyfall are a tad too thick, the 16600's one or two mm's too small (and also no AR), the Colt's dial is too small vs the watch's diameter, the El Primero Sport's bracelet is not refined enough, the Navi 01 is hard to read, the blue SMPc's dial looks plasticky in the wrong light, the IWC Aquatimer is too large and too thick, the lugs on the Hentschel are somewhat weird, the Nomos Campus has a too small mechanism, the Citizen Chronomaster should be just a bit bigger, the J&S 101 dial has a greyish colour (not proper black, as it should be), the Rainer Brand's hands are too sporty for a dress watch, and the Speedie's subdials sit too close to the centre.

Sounds like a litany of complaints, but actually I like them, a lot. It's just that after more than 10 years of collecting watches, there's not one single watch where I could say this one is absolutely perfect. I'm aware that maybe this speaks rather about me being a nitpicker rather than about the quality of various watches, but there it is.

Do you own/ have you seen a perfect watch? A watch, expensive or not, where you wouldn't make any change whatsoever? I'm really curious about this, so if you'd care to share your thoughts on this topic, I'd be grateful.

Cheers,
    Christian

I wouldn't change ANYTHING on the 16610 Sub. No.. not even the clasp that feels "cheap and flimsy". I love it just the way it is.

Breitling SteelFish SuperOcean is also very close of being "perfect".

Strong Double-AR
    A lot of weight
    Comfortable on the wrist
    Stunning dial
    Very good Pro2 bracelet
    45mm size, great for a bigger guy

...and on top of that it's not even expensive in the 2nd hand market.

I think the Sub 16610LV (with both green and black bezel inserts) comes close.
    It's just a matter of time...

No such thing. Next . . .
    F.T.F.A.

A Rolex 16610 Submariner made from 2001-2003. Drilled lugs, solid end links, none of that engraved rehaut rubbish. It's not perfect, but it's the closest thing to it.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 3rd August 2019 at 00:22.

Maybe I’m easily satisfied, but there are quite a few I wouldn’t change at all.

16610 and 16570

B&R Demineur and Geneva 123

The only thing that stops the Aerospace Night Mission being on list is the theoretical vulnerability of the PVD coating.

The Demineur and Aerospace were yours Christian :)

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    16600 sea dweller holes case

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'd change nowt about my Explorer. Classic dial design, slim and elegant case, great lume, not blingy, superbly comfortable bracelet with the advantage of the ingenious Easylink, no date to reset on months with less than 30 days, easy to refinish if it gets into scrapes, satisfaction knowing there's a marvellous, robust mechanical movement ticking away inside.

All of which has contributed to keeping this as my daily wearer for getting on three years now! Lovely jubly!

Speedmaster 125.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    A Rolex 16610 Submariner made from 2001-2003. Drilled lugs, solid end links, none of that engraved rehaut rubbish. It's not perfect, but it's the closest thing to it.
    Indeed.

For me the perfect watch is also a Submariner Date, and usually a 16610. I would quite like to have a few other references though, including the 1680 which started it off.

I can never remember the date, wear shirts more often than I saturate-dive (of course I understand the Sea-Dweller’s technical and historical appeal), and time things more often than change time-zones so, for me, it’s the ideal Rolex sports watch.

The only thing they shouldn’t do is be seen by the wrong chap at the wrong time and place, but that’s not the watch’s fault. It’s an excuse for owning another, less tempting watch, too.

Master
    Sub ND, close thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Sub ND, close thread.
    I prefer the no-date too.

14060M 2-liner or 16610 (lug holes, SEL). It doesn't get any better than that imo ever. If I wore autos then either of those would be a must have. The 16710 is very close, but I always felt that the crown was just too small.

But why Rolex went on to change, what were, winning designs is beyond me. They could have sold those models forever and a day.
    Last edited by Mouse; 3rd August 2019 at 10:16.

Master
    In short, no.

The Datejust 16000 (plain bezel, oyster bracelet) comes close. Also the Oysterquartz, the GS self-dater (original 60s version) and Seiko Skyliner, as their quirks are integral to their charm.

I can think of plenty of others that could easily exist, but frustratingly don’t, such as the mythical Oyster Perpetual 38mm, or the new dial DJ38 on brushed oyster, or Explorer 38, or Overseas 38.5mm ultra thin.

Royal Oaks have no micro adjustment so you have to get lucky with the fit, and along with PP Calatravas there’s the price and servicing costs.

I wonder if the most you can expect is perfect moments, when a watch seems just right at the time. Perhaps that’s their job, to create the illusion of perfection, when the conditions are right.

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    I wouldn't change ANYTHING on the 16610 Sub. No.. not even the clasp that feels "cheap and flimsy". I love it just the way it is.

Breitling SteelFish SuperOcean is also very close of being "perfect".

Strong Double-AR
    A lot of weight
    Comfortable on the wrist
    Stunning dial
    Very good Pro2 bracelet
    45mm size, great for a bigger guy

...and on top of that it's not even expensive in the 2nd hand market.
    The Steelfish has a couple of problems as a dive watch.

External AR is a terrible idea on a dive watch as it absolutely will get scratched. Also, the raised sections on the bezel are a bad design choice as they make it easier for the bezel to be knocked off setting...defeating the main function of the watch.

Pic of the AR on a U1 after multiple dives:

Last edited by bedlam; 3rd August 2019 at 11:05.

Master
    I'm sure there is but it would be a very personal thing I think. What some would say perfect others would disagree.

Not one is perfect. Some only come very close.

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."

Salvador Dali

Sent from my Aquaris V using tapatalk with thick fingers, declining eyesight and a small keypad.

Don't know about perfection but the smartest watch so far is the Sub,

This could be a right laugh as perfection is very subjective. Like the OP I can find something small I'd change on all my watches whether it be a couple of extra mil, more lume, less writing on the dial, no cyclops (the last two being the reason I probably wouldn't buy a Sub - I know I know.....sorry!) and on top of that your own view of what's perfect now may differ in 5 years time so I'm going to settle for 'pretty good' and just keep collecting

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Short answer: No!

The perfect watch is merely a justification to buy the next best thing. In time something better, possibly perfect appears, and so you repeat / justify ad infinitum.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the perfect watch is the APRO 5402.
    Beautiful, Genta, first steel luxury sports watch so one for the history books.

However the perfect watch for *me* is the 126600. chunky but well balanced, red text, modern so no need to worry about it, and from the brand I like most.

On second thought, I have to withdraw my suggestion of the Explorer.

Drilled lugs! Drilled lugs! If only it had drilled lugs!

Smiths Air Ministry does it for me. Can't fault it.

Carry on...

I think my notion of the 'perfect watch' changes with my age.

In my late 20's early 30's it was either a Date Sub or a Speedy.

In my mid 30's as I got to know more about watch movements my perfect watch was an El Primero.

These days in my 40's I'm leaning towards more elegant 3 handers (with date). Like JLC Master Control series.

Master
    Blog Entries

Pretty perfect for me. I can’t think of anything I would change on it.

I always think that the next one I buy will be the perfect watch.

It's not happened so far & probably never will!
    ______

​Jim.

Having decided that the Seiko (Grand) SBGW001 was as perfect as I ought to travel or spend, I bought one and there ended the quest.
    Years later I remain satiated with that purchase and though it barely gets worn, it's a pleasure to own. It really is quite nice.

Rolex Day-Date is perfect. Waterproof enough for diving, and it looks good. Plus, it has the day of the week spelled out in full.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Rolex Day-Date is perfect. Waterproof enough for diving, and it looks good. Plus, it has the day of the week spelled out in full.

I don’t think you can argue with a Rolex day date. Pick the variant that suits you best platinum, white gold, yellow gold, flutter bezel or domed and choose a dial. Perfect watch.

Also a datejust 36 any variant as per above and also the omega Aqua Terra all fit the perfect watch to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I'd change nowt about my Explorer. Classic dial design, slim and elegant case, great lume, not blingy, superbly comfortable bracelet with the advantage of the ingenious Easylink, no date to reset on months with less than 30 days, easy to refinish if it gets into scrapes, satisfaction knowing there's a marvellous, robust mechanical movement ticking away inside.

All of which has contributed to keeping this as my daily wearer for getting on three years now! Lovely jubly!
    Agreed... I have a 116610 but the more I look at the Explorer the more I think I rather have that on my wrist:/

I spent years searching desperately for the perfect watch. I've realised now that it doesn't exist. I'm happier now.

There are an awful lot of Mercedes hands and Cyclopses in this thread, proving that one mans perfect is another mans fugly.

For me, this is as good as it gets.

Master
    Very nice.Not many of these look that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    There are an awful lot of Mercedes hands and Cyclopses in this thread
    We don’t know what we want or who we are; we don’t really have values and beliefs of our own; what we have instead is an instinct to copy and compare. We are homo mimeticus. ‘Man is the creature who does not know what to desire, and who turns to others in order to make up his mind. We desire what others desire because we imitate their desires.’ Look around, ye petty, and compare.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nothing is perfect.

The nearest for me would be the 16600. I don't think I'd change a thing.

Many years ago, I started on a quest to make my perfect watch. Completely personal to me. Trouble is, as time has gone on, my 'perfect' design has changed quite a lot. And I'm sure it will change again.
    This was the last render I did, (about 5-6 years ago from memory). I still love it but would now opt for paddle hands and shrouded pushers like the Bremonts.
    Who knows, one day, I might actually build it!

There perfect watch is different things to different people and entirely subjective. So the answer to the OP would be No. ;D
    If I could keep only one watch it would probably be the SDc but right now I'm out on a dog walk wearing my Seiko Astron which is a firm favourite. Always tells the right time and super comfy to wear on rubber.

Journeyman
    I was led to believe that it’s the speedie, I cannot possibly be wrong

Scottie

Quote Originally Posted by scottie2345 View Post
    I was led to believe that it’s the speedie, I cannot possibly be wrong

Scottie
    There's a lot that's imperfect about the speedie; plexi crystal easy to scratch, you have to remember to wind it yourself, no date, poor water resistance, but still everybody loves it, including me.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    I totally get you Christian. I've been through a fair few watches since joining this forum. I spent (rather enjoyable) months researching before each purchase and was convinced each time it's all I need, but so far I've bought 13 watches and only 4 have remained. The rest have gone due to lack of day complication, no microadjust, no lume etc. My search for the perfect watch continues - and probably why I'm still on this forum!
    Last edited by KingKitega; 4th August 2019 at 19:01.

Tells the time and date accurately in any lighting conditions, has a chronograph and alarm, doesn't need winding, great water resistance, is lightweight and fairly difficult to break, and is flight qualified by NASA.

Yep, it's all subjective

30 years young and still going strong.

30 years young and still going strong.
    The watch that ruined digital watches forever

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The watch that ruined digital watches forever
    I still think that they are a pretty neat idea

I still think that they are a pretty neat idea
    Shame every single one has to be encrusted with a enough plastic to please an eleven year old.

(ps should I presume that I'm missing a Douglas Adams allusion?)

So much knowledge, so much dissatisfaction, so little ambition.
    If you can't buy what you like get close and mod.
    You'd probably get what you want to a higher quality at a fraction of the price.
    Unless brand and "club" membership is a factor in perfection...
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    (ps should I presume that I'm missing a Douglas Adams allusion?)
    You should.

Does this make you any happier? Similar functionality, also favoured by space travellers, and minimal plastic.

Does this make you any happier? Similar functionality, also favoured by space travellers, and minimal plastic.
    The bottom one, yes. Slim, capable, out of the way.

I’ve had a fair few perfect watches. Got bored with every single one, bought a different one, rinse and repeat!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk