closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex OP 36 v Datejust 36 dimensions

Rolex OP 36 v Datejust 36 dimensions

I recently bought an OP36 but looking to change to the 2019 Datejust 36 with a fluted bezel.
    How does the DJ compare to the OP in terms of size. I haven’t come across the 2019 DJ in ADs but looking at pics it seems larger?

Any thoughts?

Master
    AFAIK they use exactly the same 36mm super case. Probably the DJ bezel that is deceiving the eye would be my guess.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    AFAIK they use exactly the same 36mm super case. Probably the DJ bezel that is deceiving the eye would be my guess.
    I think the 2019 DJ has slightly slimmer lugs.

I had a 116200 DJ in the past and it always seemed to wear bigger than the size suggested. Not sure how the latest model would look by comparison.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I think the 2019 DJ has slightly slimmer lugs.
    Polished too, another potential distraction for the eye ?

Master
    Yeah the 2019 DJ definitely has a different case. Less bulk to it, more elegant, nicer I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The modern OP 116000 and DJ 116234/116200 etc share the same slightly chunkier super case design and in my opinion wear a little bigger than the 36mm dimensions suggest.

The brand new 2019 DJ 36 has the redesigned case shape with slimmer lugs etc which looks/feels more like the older vintage DJ’s in that respect but on the dial, the outer railroad track with the small roman numerals has been removed which to me seems to open up the dial and gives the impression of it being a big bigger. Also, on the 2019 models the fluted bezel is more pronounced too which makes it look more "showy" and this coupled with the new dial layout make it feel very modern.

The way the end links integrate with the case on the new 2019 models is a really nice touch as is the 70hr power reserve on these.

I almost feel like the new dial and bezel would have suited the slightly older super case more giving you a really modern DJ and if you put the slightly older dials and bezel on the new slimmer case you’d have a brand new DJ with a cool vintage feel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Yeah the 2019 DJ definitely has a different case. Less bulk to it, more elegant, nicer I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ah yes, I can see the difference now. I find it quite amazing the slight differences that Rolex eek out of the same basic case dimensions, very precise case profiling, very impressive IMO.

Craftsman
    I’m just waiting for them to put an updated 70h movement in the OP36 and I’ll be all over it.

Just imagine......

Untitled by Adam Stringer, on Flickr

Thanks, useful information. Managed to try on the 2019 and I think the lack of the railroad definitely opens the dual up more appearing bigger

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostgear View Post
    I’m just waiting for them to put an updated 70h movement in the OP36 and I’ll be all over it.

Just imagine......

Untitled by Adam Stringer, on Flickr
    Why do you need the 70hr power reserve? It’s neither here nor there to me, but if Rolex modified the case in line with the move back to slimmer lugs I would, to quote your parlance, be ‘ all over it’.

Rolex movements in good condition will keep good time even in a lowish state of wind, you really don’t need the longer power reserve, trust me!

Master
    I’ve posted these pics before, they may be of interest to the OP

And yes I realise I’m not comparing the DJ to the OP, but the results did surprise me.

36mm DJ next to a sub and Daytona.... I attempted to get the pictures as square on as possible so as to give a true comparison.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

And yes I realise I’m not comparing the DJ to the OP, but the results did surprise me.

36mm DJ next to a sub and Daytona.... I attempted to get the pictures as square on as possible so as to give a true comparison.

That really does make the 36mm appear closer to the 40mm diameter than you’d naturally expect. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

Thanks for those pictures. The 36mm DJ dial definitely looks bigger than its size would suggest. The 36mm OP appears smaller.

Master
    The 36mm is a lovely and elegant size.

I went for the 41mm and have not regreted it for my wrist / hand size, but I can definitely see the appeal of the more classic size, really suits the watch.